• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Unfortunately, those two mean the same thing in this case.

Her male coleagues go home angry.

"I had to bust my ass though school, sell myself hardcore through interviews, show my worth while here with a vault of knowledge, get lucky, and she just had to pose in her underwear and date Kevin Pereira???"

Crunches down on uncooked Ramen sopping in tears.

:p

.JayZii

Banned
Jeff's gaming tastes do not mesh with mine AT ALL.

I still happily listen to him talk about video games because he knows what he fuck is up, he's entertaining and funny, and isn't the corporate shill the Rooster Teeth hacks are.
I'm the same. I think Persona 4 may be the only game we agree upon, but I still really value his opinion and sense of humor. The rest of the GB crew, not so much, but I still catch up with the site/podcast every once and a while because of him.

Rooster Teeth has never made anything that I've remotely liked, and their opinion on this should have been kept to themselves. Giving critics shit for actually being critical is some dumbass fanboy bullshit.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've gotta admit that I've never really liked Gertsmann myself since like others have mentioned, his tastes are drastically different from mine.

Still, I've got mad respect for him as a figure in the industry

Oh most definitely. Between all the shit he's been through between being one of the the original's from Gamespot till they fired him because of standing his ground. Starting his own site up in place of that which has become extremely successful. Nor ever giving into cheap tactics or popular opinion.

Not saying he is a great journalist, but he is definitely one of the best in the gaming industry.

Please don't go there. It doesn't matter what else she's done with her life. Let's judge her opinions and credibility through the comments at hand and her work on videogames.

That's probably enough and pretty self evident without bringing up irrelevant stuff to the table to muddy the criticism.

All I did was search for these people online having never heard of them. Those are results I got back which were much to my surprise. Don't blame me for search results.

I am judging her on her opinions and comments though. That Mixlr bit was damning as fuck. Not what Google surfaced to the top of search results.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I have yet to play Fallout 4, but 3/5 seems unlikely (not impossible mind you, I've seen great series take a dive). With that being said, Rooster Teeth itself has greatly declined, and is hardly a valid source for an objective review. Haven't they essentially relegated themselves to "let's plays?"

what

Can't wait to see what RT say about Jeff's comment this week on the podcast. He said perhaps people should have higher standards about accepting buggy/glitchy games like FO4.

He also said the game does some amazing things that other games simply do not achieve. But at the same time, it gets real rough on console. It's one of the only reviews out there that talks about the techical quality of the game. It blows my mind that other game writers never mention shitty performance or bugs etc. It's like writing a car review and brushing over how it drives.

Didn't RT start out as an Achievement site?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can't wait to see what RT say about Jeff's comment this week on the podcast. He said perhaps people should have higher standards about accepting buggy/glitchy games like FO4.

He also said the game does some amazing things that other games simply do not achieve. But at the same time, it gets real rough on console. It's one of the only reviews out there that talks about the techical quality of the game. It blows my mind that other game writers never mention shitty performance or bugs etc. It's like writing a car review and brushing over now it drives.

I completely agree with you and him.

I thought they started out doing this Red vs. Blue Halo videos. Earliest I can remember.

It helps if you think of it as a standard deviation and not a percentage. Gerstmann is saying that the console version is a standard deviation worse and I think that is a completely defensible position.

This is an argument I could definitely see, though I still don't agree with the conclusion.

I know that you can only review your personal experience with a game, and a game like Fallout by default lends itself to diverse user experiences. With that in mind, I've played FO4 on PS4 for upwards of 60 hours now and I've yet to come across anything that would justify its lesser classification. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I've only encountered about 6 or 7 harsh drops, and even then they only lasted for 3-4 seconds.

I know that you can only review your personal experience with a game, and a game like Fallout by default lends itself to diverse user experiences. With that in mind, I've played FO4 on PS4 for upwards of 60 hours now and I've yet to come across anything that would justify its lesser classification. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I've only encountered about 6 or 7 harsh drops, and even then they only lasted for 3-4 seconds.

You should totally start your own website, write a review and give it whatever score you believe it deserves then. It deserves whatever score the person playing it feels it deserves.

Auctopus

Meg Turney literally knows nothing. Followed Source Fed for a while and as soon as gaming came up, all she had was hot air.

He also said the game does some amazing things that other games simply do not achieve. But at the same time, it gets real rough on console. It's one of the only reviews out there that talks about the techical quality of the game. It blows my mind that other game writers never mention shitty performance or bugs etc. It's like writing a car review and brushing over how it drives.

They started in 2003 with Red vs Blue (halo webseries) and then went on to make Achievement Hunter. They've been Microsoft shills for years. I remember them doing damage control on their podcasts defending all of the Xbox One issues when the console was announced. Most they'd say about Sony before they branched out with their "Game Journalism" youtube channel "The Know" was a passing mention or the occasional joke and they'd just straight bash Nintendo a good bit.

---

Also like how people hate Jeff over his hatred of Yoshi and "jaded" outlook. He's just not plugged into the Gaming Hype Machine like others are and probably shouldn't be. The man's been covering games professionally for almost 20 years.

Why did they give bioshock infinite a 70? Cause it had fucking problems. If you like something you shouldn't be afraid to criticize it either.

I think their comments are actually going after the people who revel in anything negative that can be said about Fallout (which there are quite a bit of on here) rather than Jeff. But to say that while wearing the stuff is a little gross.

Edit: I have never watched a single rooster teeth video.

Codeblue

Jeff's gaming tastes do not mesh with mine AT ALL.

I still happily listen to him talk about video games because he knows what he fuck is up, he's entertaining and funny, and isn't the corporate shill the Rooster Teeth hacks are.

My experience as well, and that really goes for most of the GB crew except Dan. There is really no one else I'd rather here talk about the industry at large, and they host 8-4 to supplement the Eastern side of things.

It's a rare occasion that I actually go to the GB website and watch content, but I still pay for a subscription because I value what they do and I don't trust any other website more to give me an honest opinion, even if I know I'm going to disagree.

Protome

Out of curiosity how much do those Pip Boy arm bands cost and do they look better in real life?
Every video I've seen they look like something you'd find in poundland.

I can see why people think Jeff is jaded, but I disagree with that. He just looks at games from a different point of view than others (his!). For me, his opinions about games line up with mine most of the time, which is why I look forward to his reviews the most.

I saw this. It was weird. I think they did some sponsored Fallout 4 videos as well. But whatever, its a review and that is subjective.

I miss the old Rooster Teeth. Red vs blue season 1-5 were great.

mreddie

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

People going on about RT defending the Xbox One reveal, didn't GB also basically defend the DRM or am I getting mixed up?
Finding it hard to find shit online about it, but I'm sure I remember them downplaying it.
They talk about it in this video, they are negative about it but still trying to figure it out. I selected just one part where they are negative if you don't have long to watch the full thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1StPJgWkN-U#t=722

I think from memory in their game of the year deliberations the xbox one reveal was the fail of the year or something. Very harshly talked about at least.

inky

All I did was search for these people online having never heard of them. Those are results I got back which were much to my surprise. Don't blame me for search results.

I am judging her on her opinions and comments though. That Mixlr bit was damning as fuck. Not what Google surfaced to the top of search results.

Right, didn't mean to come off as if you were doing something wrong or blaming you for it. I just wanted to point out that modeling in her underwear specifically has probably nothing to do with her podcast job and less so with her opinions now.

I just didn't want the conversation to take that turn. Sorry about that.

RPGam3r

I love listening to Jeff, I'm glad he kept GB going as it is my main source of podcasting and gaming related video content. He knows a lot, and says it well. However, I rarely agree with him when he really starts dogging on things. And that's fine, I'm not him and my views on games differs.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
A 7/10 seems perfectly fair for a technically flawed game. 7 is still a good score.

They talk about it in this video, they are negative about it but still trying to figure it out. I selected just one part where they are negative if you don't have long to watch the full thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1StPJgWkN-U#t=722

I think from memory in their game of the year deliberations the xbox one reveal was the fail of the year or something. Very harshly talked about at least.

And it wasn't because of the drm, it was because of Microsofts flip floppy stance.

Cartman86

Banned
That Reddit justification sounds like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and hasn't thought for one second what criticism actually is.

It's one thing to disagree with a review, it's another to suggest that one scores games lower for attention and traffic. It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility but GB has never given me a reason to believe they partake in that. And that's even with me disagreeing with a quite a few reviews they've put out over the years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh give me a break. If she can open her mouth and say a well respected journalist and gaming personality rated a game a certain way "for them clicks", people can question how she got to where she did today. And that fame was modeling in her underwear and dating Kevin Pereira. That I am confifent, helped pad that resume. Not saying it is the sole reason, but it would be disingenuous to diamiss it entirely. Unless you are privy to information other than what people see in the public arena, then people are allowed to speculate on those very facts presented. Especially with asinine and juvenile comments being made.

If she has any integrity/knowledge in gaming and gaming journalism, she would know how Jeff works, and would know his name alone gets clicks and he need not fish for them.

This in no way is an attack cause "she is a girl tho". Just shows people will say and do things for them dollar signs.

And it wasn't because of the drm, it was because of Microsofts flip floppy stance.

I checked their write up. The DRM policy was criticised too.
Hottest Mess
Xbox One

This business is cyclical. What comes up must come down, and arrogance is often punished. It happened to Nintendo, it happened to Sony, and now it’s happened to Microsoft. Xbox One was the last new console to be revealed, but on the day Microsoft pulled back the curtain, no one was talking about games or its partnership with the NFL. Instead, everyone focused on what the company was taking away, especially how the company’s digital shift was stripping away some rights consumers had over physical games. Part of it was a communication issue, but much of it was tone deaf policy.

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards."

Remember that?

It didn’t help Microsoft’s case when Sony decided to twist the knife at E3, declaring PlayStation 4 as a console that would let things remain as they are. (How many times do we cheer for the status quo?) Who knows what ultimately prompted Microsoft to make the decision it did on June 19, but the facts remain the same: it was a complete reversal of its DRM policies. No more always on requirement. No restrictions on trading physical game discs. It was all switched off. It was an enormous admission it had read the market wrong, and the company didn't do itself any favors by pretending they were "too ahead of the curve."

The changes didn’t stop there, either. Microsoft eventually ditched its Kinect requirement for Xbox One, though it stuck by its decision to keep the device in the box and part of the interface. To make such drastic changes in the middle of finalizing its new console was an unprecedented move, one that made the next-gen race even wilder than we could have ever anticipated. Crazy! (Don Mattrick even left!)

[snipping to the last paragraph of the article, on the Xbox One change]
It is easy to think consumers don’t have a voice, that “voting with your dollars” is a cliche. For the most part, that's probably true. But when consumers speak loud enough, sometimes they listen. And win.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bomb-s-2013-game-of-the-year-awards-day-four/1100-4806/

Calabi

I actually listen to this podcast but if their this dumb and rude then I'm not sure I want to continue to support them with my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom