• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: ‘End of an era’ coming for Call of Duty

SHA

How? By not making contents?, this is silly, ms is not a contentless platform and it doesn't have to be this way.

farmerboy

To be honest, I kinda think thats the best option for something like COD that has yearly releases. Just one big GAAS that keeps getting stuff added to it.

KaiserBecks

The general belief is that MWIII is the final yearly release and the game is going to transition to a pure GAAS like Fornite, Apex, Overwatch, etc.

CoD already feels like a GAAS, only difference is that the games are being abandoned after two years and my purchases are worthless by then. I would more than welcome this change.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
“End of era” over COD!?
200.gif

Last edited:

hinch7

Well it started with Warzone so making the base CoD games on a live service was the next logical step.

If it does happen going to pass on that. Not only will it have even more annoying DLC's and MTX's in there but also will be riddled with cheaters. Same thing happened with CS Go when that went free to play.

wipeout364

i can’t imagine they would stop yearly releases or change their current delivery. COD is incredibly lucrative. I bet they have stats that show the group playing Warzone is not the same as the group playing the yearly game.

If I was to guess it might be that they will separate Warzone and COD completely. Right now buying skins in COD or Warzone allows the use in both games. Separating the two would allow much more freedom for the Warzone Team, with ability to create their own events and not be dependent on the multi/zombies teams.

MikeM

So they basically scrapping single player, about time, still not interested until they change the map layouts like earlier cod games and not like fucking doom or halo arena maps
Did not turn out well for Battlefield 2042. Their turn to make the same mistake I guess. Oh well… i still own a lot of the older ones on console and will still play them.

mhirano

There is no way they would give up on $70 yearly purchases. And just like FIFA they can add GAAS on top of the full retail sale and also reset it yearly.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No way they are dropping the iterative releases and going GaaS only. No chance. They have Warzone for that already and mainline CoD simply makes too much money. I could see them dropping the SP campaign however.

Last edited:
If COD goes to a GAAS games, that will be devastating. The question is, why? They got Warzone. The games are $70 annual releases and they make billions per year. Maybe they don’t want to keep investing into the high budget development and production values or something? I like the campaigns in COD, but I’ll be skipping the games if it becomes a live service game. If this is legitimate, is this Microsoft’s decision?

Last edited:

Unknown?

The scale that A-B has been operating at with this franchise is something that nobody else has even come close to in this industry. I mean, in a world where say Microsoft needed six years to release a new Forza, they've been releasing a new COD which has a budget of at least $150M-$200M every year. Basically every damn studio they own is working on this operation. I also don't necessarily think it is sustainable anymore, Vanguard was shit, MW2 was shit, etc. Meanwhile Warzone is making tons of money and doesn't need that effort.
Which is why they're F'ed if it stops selling.

Shut0wen

Did not turn out well for Battlefield 2042. Their turn to make the same mistake I guess. Oh well… i still own a lot of the older ones on console and will still play them.
Dice is a shadow of its former self, everyone that made battlefield good left long ago, as much as i hate cod atleast all 3 studios are capable of making a game thats playable

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Call of Duty Online paying game

Each season is a paid DLC can't play the new season without paying

and Microtransactions

sachos

It would be cool if they separated their MP CoD games from the SP ones. Like, rebrand the single player campaigns into their own standalone franchise, name it "Call of Duty Stories" or something. I wish to play something like OG Soldier of Fortune but with CoD gunplay/tech.

Holammer

Sounds good, it'll free up a lot of Activision studios to do other stuff. Create new IP or dust off old ones.
Call to Power III anyone?

Shut0wen

I really hope Battlefield can make a good comeback next game
Can never see it happening, bf5 felt more like a battlefront game and the newest game is just shockingly bad maps with 120 players added to the mix, just doesnt work, insurgency is the new bf for me these days

Looks like David Vondehaar was a multiplayer lead for Treyarch, eh? That's the end of the Era? Treyarch's CODs were alright but I never liked them as much as Infinity Ward's. Treyarch's feel even more arcadey

That would be bad enough if COD becomes a GAAS game, but if there is no campaign on top of that, I would definitely be done with the franchise. I do enjoy the campaigns and I don’t play multiplayer.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That would be bad enough if COD becomes a GAAS game, but if there is no campaign on top of that, I would definitely be done with the franchise. I do enjoy the campaigns and I don’t play multiplayer.
Unfortunately, that's where it is eventually heading. Sooner or later, that's the fate of almost all FPS games.

Top Bottom