• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U version "postponed indefinitely"

Alebrije

Sega uses to do this ( throw unfinished, unpolished games ) , had done with Sonic for a decade. This game seems had the same fate...

LOL!!

LL

netBuff

Why should any credibility be lent to an anonymous message board post? I mean, sure it's what WiiU owners want to hear, as well as diehard fans of the series, but I wouldn't put much stock into it.

That was that posters first post and he had just created the account. Unless I missed something...

.Sounds like horseshit to me.

Not only does that message board post not make much sense (the suggested timeline alone seems extremely dubious) - there's also no indication of the poster possessing any sort of inside information. Reads more like the "ramblings of a true Wii U fan":

In all honesty I am tracking the Wii U version (being done by Demiurge) as I have no plans to further waste money on old systems.
I always have a PC and Ninty; then I get one or both of the others based on content, financial circumstance, whatever.
Needless to say, what I saw in the 1 day I explored A:CM left me pretty perplexed.

Now heres where I have a hunch something behind the scenes went ass-up. Purely speculation of course - and the media is in on it in this scenario (boy I just won alot of cred. there..).

So you might ask, "Why then was the PC version not en par with the IGN reveal either?" because its been dumbed down to maintain parity with the console releases. Its actually still quite alot better, the console releases were pretty ordinary.

tassletine

I think the Malvingt2 repost makes a lot of sense and is quite convincing. What's confusing is that the poster is mixing up his own speculation with the facts as he knows them. He needs to be a little clearer in what he's saying, but it makes sense.

The actual evidence is intriguing:

-- The WiiU version is the only one handled by one studio. The rest were passed back and forth, which would cause problems.

-- The stills from ACM on Demiurge's website, match the footage from the demo.

-- The wiiU version hasn't been seen? Why? -- This is a very good question. If it is indeed just the same game with a bolt on scanner, then releasing it on time shouldn't have been a problem.

-- Where did that demo footage come from? -- Because it's not the pc version.

-- The dev team has stated before in prior interviews that the WiiU version is the best version. They said it was because of the gamepad, but they're hardly going to slag off the other versions being developed by other companies are they? They might not even have seen them.

What's for certain is, there is some reason we haven't seen the WiiU version, and that the developers have said that version is the best one. How much better is anyone's guess right now.

Here's hoping that Demiurge are strong enough to do their own thing.
If they did take that gamble, and the game is good, then it will pay off big time for Demiurge, and possibly the WiiU as well.

MYE

Sega uses to do this ( throw unfinished, unpolished games ) , had done with Sonic for a decade. This game seems had the same fate...

LOL!!

LL

I dont want to spoil the fun but... you guys do know that this is a blind enemy type that can only kill by detecting motion or sound, right?

Blinck

I dont want to spoil the fun but... you guys do know that this is a blind enemy type that can only kill by detecting motion or sound, right?

That makes it even more stpuid.

The xenomorph are the perfect killing machine. They are not fucking "blind" (even though they don't have eyes in their design), who the fuck came up with the ideia of doing a stealth section in an Aliens game? The xenomorph are the ones that are stealthy, not the marines.

Also one of the funny things about that gif is that fucking disgusting animation. It makes the xenomorph look fucking comic when you should be shitting your pants when you have one that close to you.

Sorry for the rant... I just fucking hate Gearbox at the moment.

Hang on: people in this thread think that Demiurge have gone rogue and made what essentially amounts to a superior game?

I love my WiiU as well, guys, but that is simply not going to have happened. It's a port. The WiiU SKU didn't exist until a year ago: there is no way it's strides ahead of the PC one.

Hang on: people in this thread think that Demiurge have gone rogue and made what essentially amounts to a superior game?

I love my WiiU as well, guys, but that is simply not going to have happened. It's a port. The WiiU SKU didn't exist until a year ago: there is no way it's strides ahead of the PC one.

Maybe the fact they can't have done any worse.

Surely?

netBuff

I think the Malvingt2 repost makes a lot of sense and is quite convincing. What's confusing is that the poster is mixing up his own speculation with the facts as he knows them. He needs to be a little clearer in what he's saying, but it makes sense.

The actual evidence is intriguing:

-- The WiiU version is the only one handled by one studio. The rest were passed back and forth, which would cause problems.

-- The stills from ACM on Demiurge's website, match the footage from the demo.

-- The wiiU version hasn't been seen? Why? -- This is a very good question. If it is indeed just the same game with a bolt on scanner, then releasing it on time shouldn't have been a problem.

-- Where did that demo footage come from? -- Because it's not the pc version.

-- The dev team has stated before in prior interviews that the WiiU version is the best version. They said it was because of the gamepad, but they're hardly going to slag off the other versions being developed by other companies are they? They might not even have seen them.

What evidence? This still doesn't make a lick of sense. If we are to believe what that poster wrote, it would mean that the Wii U version was the lead effort and the 360/PC/PS3 versions were ports. This doesn't match with anything we know about this game's development history and doesn't line up with the fact that the Wii U is seeing a later release (or possibly even not getting publicised at all).

What's for certain is, there is some reason we haven't seen the WiiU version, and that the developers have said that version is the best one. How much better is anyone's guess right now.

Here's hoping that Demiurge are strong enough to do their own thing.
If they did take that gamble, and the game is good, then it will pay off big time for Demiurge, and possibly the WiiU as well.

Apparently it's because Aliens: CM for Wii U is a fantastic game, a completely different beast than the 360/PC/PS3 SKU and it's being held back because it's so good!

Randy Pitchford would probably sell your grandmother if he could, that's why he claimed Aliens: CM for Wii U to be the "best version".

prag16

Banned
What evidence? This still doesn't make a lick of sense. If we are to believe what that poster wrote, it would mean that the Wii U version was the lead effort and the 360/PC/PS3 versions were ports. This doesn't match with anything we know about this game's development history and doesn't line up with the fact that the Wii U is seeing a later release (or possibly even not getting publicised at all).

Nowhere does that info indicate Wii U was lead platform.

It indicates that a totally separate team took the reins on the Wii U version several months ago, and that it's *possible* (however unlikely) that they diverged wildly from the "main" teams.

Now, it'd be odd that they'd use that footage for the overall trailer, but it's *possible* (however unlikely) that Gearbox/Sega liked that footage better and showed it as the trailer, but not enough better to go back to the drawing board on the PS360PC versions.

All this is VERY UNLIKELY, and I don't believe it's true.

But if there's a tiny sliver of hope, that's better than nothing.

netBuff

Nowhere does that info indicate Wii U was lead platform.

It indicates that a totally separate team took the reins on the Wii U version several months ago, and that it's *possible* (however unlikely) that they diverged wildly from the "main" teams.

Now, it'd be odd that they'd use that footage for the overall trailer, but it's *possible* (however unlikely) that Gearbox/Sega liked that footage better and showed it as the trailer, but not enough better to go back to the drawing board on the PS360PC versions.

All this is VERY UNLIKELY, and I don't believe it's true.

But if there's a tiny sliver of hope, that's better than nothing.

Were we reading different posts? Paladinrja at the TimeGate Studios forum absolutely does imply the Wii U version was the lead effort:

However, what alot of people don't identify (again because of general concensus) is that the Wii U version (still very much on the way), done exclusively by Demiurge studio's, is the big version; the joint venture was banking on.

I know what you're thinkin right? "WTF!?, how stupid, no ones adopting the Wii U, what were they thinking?" and you'd be right if it wasn't for the fact that SEGA's industry analysis favoured the U version, in fact the entire joint venture did.
This is because that version ports to the new consoles by Sony & MS (in the future) and thus has the tightest longevity of the product. Instead of a few months in the dying period of current gen systems, they favour a product that will last (potentally) 2-3yrs and allow for sequals.

Moving on, alot if not all the pre-production of the title was handled by Demiurge studio's before they went onto work exclusively on the Wii U version from the ground up.

Post-production was then handed to Timegate studio's and Nerve software;
http://forums.timegate.com/showpost.php?p=285185&postcount=43

The poster even goes as far as to claim that the 360/PS3 editions were cancelled (to be resurrected just a few months ago, "at the 11th hour"):
Somewhere around the time Timegate studio's finished the PS3/360 version was canned.

Pretty much everything that poster wrote doesn't seems very sane, if you have any hopes of Aliens: CM for Wii U being an acceptable game you're betting on a lost cause - unless you can believe in this nugget:
In the next couple of weeks the Wii U version, the one with the greatest longevity, will be released; I suspect in all my speculation, you will see a magic patch that will bring the PC version up to date, if not surpassing the IGN reveal everyone was watching.

prag16

Banned
Were we reading different posts? Paladinrja at the TimeGate Studios forum absolutely does imply the Wii U version was the lead effort:

http://forums.timegate.com/showpost.php?p=285185&postcount=43

The poster even goes as far as to claim that the 360/PS3 editions were cancelled (to be resurrected just a few months ago, "at the 11th hour"):

Pretty much everything that poster wrote doesn't seems very sane, if you have any hopes of Aliens: CM for Wii U being an acceptable game you're betting on a lost cause.

I didn't read it as meaning the Wii U version was what all the other versions were branched or ported from. But I guess it's not specific about that exact point.

Yeah, that aspect of it doesn't make much sense. The aspect that has a better chance of making sense is the idea that Demiurge may have gone off on their own to make a much better game in parallel with the other teams.

We'll see. Like I said, not at all optimistic.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18ndgq/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a 'scanner' to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat 'optimal'. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don't know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

netBuff

Yeah, that aspect of it doesn't make much sense. The aspect that has a better chance of making sense is the idea that Demiurge may have gone off on their own to make a much better game in parallel with the other teams.

Just summarising what the linked posting is actually claiming happened - congratulations to everyone that is able to believe in such nonsense:

What the poster wrote is that apparently the (fantastic!) primary Wii U version was developed by Demiurge. Work on that version finished some time ago. At the time, Aliens: CM was only slated for a PC/Wii U release, because SEGA didn't want to bank on the "dying consoles" and was interested in the next-gen porting potential and possibilities of a "sequal" on the same platform the new Nintendo console brought.

But because the Wii U didn't take off in terms of sales as SEGA projected, they asked Gearbox "at the 11th hour" to resurrect the 360/PS3 version (this had to happen in December 2012 or January 2013 - one or two months ago).

The reason the PC version isn't on par with the excellent Wii U version is the fact that they artificially reduced its quality to create "console parity". But it will, in the opinion of the poster at TimeGate, get a "magic patch" that will bring the PC version up to Wii U levels as soon as that version is released.
- -

I mean: COME ON, how can anyone lend credence to this kind of fan-fiction?

Shiggy

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a 'scanner' to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat 'optimal'. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don't know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18ndgq/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

Might be fake, taken from the other thread.

Edit: Too slow.

I've been told by somebody who knows that there's some terrible, action-halting stuff in the U SKU, incidentally, where you hold the pad up AR style, as if its a camera to do scanning of the area/enemies, and that it basically breaks the fiction of the motion tracker, as well as being badly implemented and slowing down the game. So there's that super-exciting thing to look forward to as well!

donny2112

It may actually be better for the game to never see a Wii U release. It goes back to the old adage: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Guys, as a Wii U owner and self professed Nintendo fan, I'm not convinced in any way, shape or form that the Wii U version will actually be superior at all. Fact is, this game has clearly had a very troubled development cycle. The Wii U version probably started development well after the others, with a minimal crew handling porting duties in a very low cost fashion. This is pretty par for the course thus far.

If I had to guess, the Wii U version is an even worse unreleasable mess than the others currently are.

They're likely to be rushing this out the door hoping to at least somewhat recoup the financial train wreck this game is likely to turn out to be. Don't be shocked if they don't just come to their senses and cancel the thing entirely.

Wishful thinking on this one is understandable but come on...

When I asked him that question about the Wii U version, I didn't expect such a visceral response at all. That kind of stuff should be locked down under an NDA. I hope he can stay anonymous enough.

It also makes me question whether or not the guy is legit.

Dude's legit. Mods verified his payslips. God damn what a car wreck this Aliens fiasco is. GBX and Pitchford are gonna be in the burn ward on life support after this

Schnozberry

I own a Wii U and love it for various reasons, but I don't believe for a second that demiurge was able to work some kind of miracle and polish that turd into something worth playing.

Honestly, Gearbox should be deeply ashamed of how this thing turned out.

prag16

Banned
I own a Wii U and love it for various reasons, but I don't believe for a second that demiurge was able to work some kind of miracle and polish that turd into something worth playing.

Honestly, Gearbox should be deeply ashamed of how this thing turned out.

Yeah I've seen plenty of bull shots in my day. But the bait and switch with his trailer tops most anything else I've seen.

Effect

Has there ever been a case of a platform owner denying a game a release on it in recent times? I know Nintendo denied actual licenses for some religion games back on the NES. Think they would deny a release of Aliens given the problems with the game and likely no quality at all?

I think they'd be better off. Shovelware is one thing. Those games never are presented as being more then what they are. There is a level of honesty there. The amount of crap going down with this game though is insane and better not to be stained by it.

Has there ever been a case of a platform owner denying a game a release on it in recent times? I know Nintendo denied actual licenses for some religion games back on the NES. Think they would deny a release of Aliens given the problems with the game and likely no quality at all?

I think they'd be better off. Shovelware is one thing. Those games never are presented as being more then what they are. There is a level of honesty there. The amount of crap going down with this game though is insane and better not to be stained by it.

Nintendo and Sony both turned down the uncensored Manhunt 2, but that was partly because it had the blanket policy of no AO games.

liger05

The damage has already been done. It does not matter how the wii u version turns out. The game will bomb regardless!!

I can just imagine Randy on the internet, making the delay announcement, then as soon as he makes it, he turns around to the random Gearbox designer and says "okay there we go, throw the master disk in the shredder, George."

Don't hold your breath Wii U owners. If you had any desire left to buy this game, lose it. It is never coming.

Top Bottom