• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

leeh

Good, waste of money.

MS, I hope the reason you're stopping this is due to you throwing every available dime you have to spend on games into 1st party.

I'm holding onto my conspiracy theory that MS just isn't giving Xbox the proper funding for stuff like this. If MS really wanted to outbid Sony, they could do so easily.

OR

Maybe MS has come to the conclusion that these 3rd party marketing deals aren't worth the amount they were paying.

Probably this, look at this way. You're behind big a decent margin, you know the game is going to sell more on your competition device. However, you already know that Fifa has been round for so long majority of people...yes even causal consumers know you can pick it up on whatever platform you want.

So what's the point of spending millions on a games marketing that you know isn't going to change things for you. None of their marketing deals has been helping them at all this gen for the most part....I don't see the point in them trying to outspend Sony and having to pay much more to secure these deals when the impact won't be significant...it's a waste of money and maybe they really are using that to invest into more 1P stuff. We'll see.

I would say they should however, take the the time to market with games of more unique experiences like they did with Witcher and what not since those game aren't released yearly nor frequently.

Pretty sure AC IS the unannounced game for E3. We all know about it but it hasn't actually been announced yet.

Nah, there is another...think I saw some people with insider stuff say its not AC...well in terms of marketing.

I don't care about Marketing deals all that much but this is all interesting, I dislike when a group is excluded from certain pieces of content for a very unnecessary long time. However, it is business and they do help to an extent, what will be more telling is if MS is actually taking that money and really putting it into their 1P and allowing them to make new games or they are starting to rebuild studio(s) (LOLz) to help create some new stuff.

Mosse

Neo Member
Good, waste of money.

MS, I hope the reason you're stopping this is due to you throwing every available dime you have to spend on games into 1st party.

It's probably more likely that the money that would have gone to fifa marketing goes to Assassins creed and Scorpio marketing. I also doubt Microsoft went to EA and said "we don't want the fifa marketing deal anymore", their contract probably just ended and EA partned up with sony instead because they offered a better deal.

Doffen

They had it for few years - effect in Europe - close to zero.

FIFA was the only title that had efficient marketing with Xbox One in mainland Europe. The "close to zero effect" is just wrong. Marketing does have an effect, or Sony wouldn't get this deal.

Translation:

we are running out of companies stupid enough to make a marketing deal with losing console and those who still do want too much cash.

Several big hitting titles had marketing deals with Xbox One this generation.

Good, waste of money.

Don't do this to yourself. Microsoft will focus on fewer titles with longer service life.
The only waste of money will be releasing Scorpio in Europe, because no one will know about it there.

leeh

Don't do this to yourself. Microsoft will focus on fewer titles with longer service life.
The only waste of money will be releasing Scorpio in Europe, because no one will know about it there.
I just want a nice WRPG I can sink my time into :(

It's probably more likely that the money that would have gone to fifa marketing goes to Assassins creed and Scorpio marketing. I also doubt Microsoft went to EA and said "we don't want the fifa marketing deal anymore", their contract probably just ended and EA partned up with sony instead because they offered a better deal.
Makes sense.

Mosse

Neo Member
FIFA was the only title that had efficient marketing with Xbox One in mainland Europe. The "close to zero effect" is just wrong. Marketing does have an effect, or Sony wouldn't get this deal.

Several big hitting titles had marketing deals with Xbox One this generation.

The fifa ad is the only xbox related ad I've seen here in Sweden this year. And fifa is huge over here, so losing that exposure will probably have some impact.

Regardless, if the money was worth it they'd obviously do it.

They have all the stats and metrics on hand to answer that question.

Except if Sony outbid them? Maybe it's absolutely worth the money but Playstation has a bigger pool of third party marketing cash so made a better deal. And considering where things stand with the Xbone vs. PS4 Sony would obviously be in a much stronger position in a bidding war.

This is likely only more reason for the doomsayers to go "yup Xbox is dead". But then again they've been saying that since the start of Xbox One.

I really don't mind not having to see fifa during MS' show if there were plans for that. I don't care one bit for Fifa. But it really is a bit crazy if you look at how many of these deals Sony has and how few MS. This difference hasn't been this big previously.

Avtomat

Do marketing deals for big games like FIFA this far into the gen really move the needle for hardware vendors?

Surely anyone who plays FIFA on a regular has bought it by now and is locked into a platform.

I suspect the only people it will influence are non gamers who want to buy a console as a gift so just like bog standard marketing.

the third party deals are pretty pointless if origin access gives Xbox owners a week in advance playtime...if this still remains then Sony may as well be pissing money down a hole

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So you are saying if they had 3rd party Deals with the Wii U it wouldnt fail? Lol

Did I say that? I just think it's silly to use lightning in a bottle like the Wii as a model for what will always work.

Do marketing deals for big games like FIFA this far into the gen really move the needle for hardware vendors?

Surely anyone who plays FIFA on a regular has bought it by now and is locked into a platform.

I suspect the only people it will influence are non gamers who want to buy a console as a gift so just like bog standard marketing.

FUT starts anew every year.

the third party deals are pretty pointless if origin access gives Xbox owners a week in advance playtime...if this still remains then Sony may as well be pissing money down a hole

EA Access is kinda pointless if MS can't give away a month of it with their Fifa bundles now that they supposedly lost the marketing deal.

gamz

Except if Sony outbid them? Maybe it's absolutely worth the money but Playstation has a bigger pool of third party marketing cash so made a better deal. And considering where things stand with the Xbone vs. PS4 Sony would obviously be in a much stronger position in a bidding war.

I mean could be. Perhaps Sony did outbid them? Although, judging by what Phil said I think they'd rather sink the money into building up the brand with services and 1st party games and whatnot. Nothing wrong with that.

I mean we aren't privy to the intel they have.

I don't think these marketing deals are all that expensive. The increased licensing revenue as the game sells more on your platform probably goes pretty far towards recouping the investment. This late it's not really about selling hardware. Also, if you have a successful platform, publishers will want to be associated with it. Basically, it's a win-win situation to sign a marketing deal with Sony at this point. This is why it was easy for Xbox to get deals last generation, when they were doing well, and why they are struggling to now.

And by that token, I don't think how much you spend on marketing rights will have a big bearing on how much you can spend on developing games.

I mean could be. Perhaps Sony did outbid them? Although, judging by what Phil said I think they'd rather sink the money into building up the brand with services and 1st party games and whatnot. Nothing wrong with that.

Look I like Xbox and all, but I hope it isn't just talk and the Xbox division is doing what exactly he claims they're doing.

Consumer perception. Even if these marketing deals are not financial successes, people hearing about Sony exclusive content non-stop certainly gives the impression that they are the console to go with.

FIFA marketing translates across the entire platform.

kpaadet

Why are some in this thread talking like marketing is a zero sum game? Who spends money on marketing and doesn't expect it to come back over time? That's why it's funny to see some say it's wasted money and should spend it on 1st party games instead, when co marketing deals like this is probably a win/win for EA and Sony.

Why are some in this thread talking like marketing is a zero sum game? Who spends money on marketing and doesn't expect it to come back over time? That's why it's funny to see some say it's wasted money and should spend it on 1st party games instead, when co marketing deals like this is probably a win/win for EA and Sony.
Sony's PS+ subs saw a big boost after Destiny came out, for example. Third party deals get people invested in the platform and that can be a benefit to Sony/MS down the road with other games and services.

Nah.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

They move the needle in developing nations where people don't jump into the console cycle until hardware hits the $199 and below prices. FIFA still came out on PS2 until 2013 for a reason.

FIFA is one of those franchises where I don't think any console manufacturer benefits from having marketing rights. But Sony have been going trigger happy, there obviously is some relation between marketing rights and how well the games sell on that system.

Did GTA V on PS3 not cause sales to beat 360 for that month? It is something stupid like after 3 years of 360 knocking PS3 around in NA, but that multiplat title had such an effect. Money is surely being exchanged, but Sony have rights to the really big boys with RDR2, Destiny 2, COD and Battlefront 2. Besides RDR2, Sony will have a strong end of the year just because of these marketing deals.

It would be nice to think MS are reinvesting that marketing money into first party games, but they don't have much to show this gen so find that hard to believe.

man....ppl in GAF REALLY believes Phil Spencer 1000%, eh? (or at least Phil Spencer's twitter account) I knew some Catholics that don't even believe every word the Popes says.....

Don't flame me on this, just an observation.

Bgamer90

Banned

Pretty much the way I feel and also why I feel Microsoft should go for marketing deals alongside new third party AAA IPs instead of series that many gamers know that they can buy on Xbox/PlayStation by now.

Destiny is the perfect example. That game probably sold more PS4 consoles than the majority of PS4 exclusives.

Pretty much the way I feel and also why I feel Microsoft should go for marketing deals alongside new third party AAA IPs instead of series that many gamers know that they can buy on Xbox/PlayStation by now.

Destiny is the perfect example. That game probably sold more PS4 consoles than the majority of PS4 exclusives.

Yeah I agree. MS should be getting the marketing deals on games like For Honor. New IP that go on to sell huge numbers.

MS did have marketing for The Division, which was a highly successful new IP.

And while they weren't new IPs, Fallout 4 and BF1 were big marketing deals for Xbox.

The weird thing is that these deals hasn't exactly translated to heightened bundle sales in NPDs, unlike more notable hardware sales bump from Destiny and BLOPS3.

MS's most successful marketing deals this gen are AssCreed Unity ( thanks to that ridiculously good-value bundle deal ) and FIFA in mainland Europe.

Shin-Ra

SIEE would sell a metric tonne extra value PS4 bundles in Europe where they already hold Champions League sponsorship.

lol @ Phil Spencer's tweet.

Rymuth

Good, waste of money.

I heard the exact same thing when Call of Duty went to Sony - "Good, more money for 1st party games."

Years later, here we are.

Bgamer90

Banned
I heard the exact same thing when Call of Duty went to Sony - "Good, more money for 1st party games."

I don't think these deals give them a ton of more money for first party but Sony's Call of Duty deal hasn't even reached the two year mark yet (i.e.: it would be wrong to say years).

It would be hard to begin making and then announcing multiple exclusive AAA first party games in that short of a period regardless.

And years ago Sony fans were saying 3rd party deals were dumb and a waste of time.

Years later, here we are. Cheering like it's the second coming

Doffen

man....ppl in GAF REALLY believes Phil Spencer 1000%, eh? (or at least Phil Spencer's twitter account) I knew some Catholics that don't even believe every word the Popes says.....

Don't flame me on this, just an observation.

If you actually ventured in a Xbox thread or Phil Spencer thread you'd see people having discussion about it. Xbox users on GAF are generally not cheerleaders.

That money probably got invested in other partnerships. Like that NFL thing.

Microsoft has been "choosing " not to have marketing deals since the start of he generation and it still hasn't manifested in their first party.

But yeah maybe this FIFA steam thing is what finally gets things going.

Rellik

I hate any kind of exclusivity. I'm a true believer of every third party game and features of those games being available on all systems so everyone can enjoy. But as a PS4 owner who sold his Xbox One, this could be a good deal for me if they were to bring over Legends. Of course, it would be better if both consoles could enjoy Legends.

Then again, PES was so much better last time I may not even play FIFA.

Caayn

If this results in FUT legends no longer being exclusive: good. If this results in FUT legends exclusivity simply moving between platforms: booh.

We're in a parallel universe now where 3rd party deals are praised and having the best FPS/Graphics don't count.

Given that this is about consoles, having the "best FPS" never mattered. Even more so given that Scorpio isn't out yet. So the best is still Pro console side.

Orca

ATbHsDP.jpg

I don't like any sort of marketing deals, especially ones that restrict content on platforms, but the reality we all have to acknowledge is that:

a. When successful, marketing deals work in various ways. Either content/audience lock-in with a popular MP game with a dedicated hardcore fanbase, or bundling strategies that promote mainstream games on box of console as a marketing draw to mainstream casual gamers.

b. Regardless of marketing deals's effectiveness, every platform holder has a 3rd-party team that works/collaborates with publishers/external devs. It is a function of the gaming business that exist, support jobs and marketing deals are part & parcel of an ecosystem.

c. Funding for business divisions are never 'black-and-white' "if only marketing deal money is funneled to first-party games" is dumb business bullshit." Businesses are in the business of spending money to make money, and money are funneled to where the ROI is the best. There is little doubt that people at MS/Sony/Nintendo plans their biz unit budgeting with that belief, and investing in marketing deals is one of them.

d. The best way to stop marketing deals is for audiences to not support them or to not demonstrate any tangible effect that it was an influence in reaching out to them. This is a battle that was long lost, just like online MP paywall.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
colinisation said:
PS4 is a 199 console in Europe this year, if it gets Fifa thrown in at that price for holidays, it would likely have a considerably impact - that's entering mass-market territory proper.

blakep267

Seriously how is this going to work out for them? What popular games are they going to show "best on the Scorpio" for if Sony has all the ad deals?

Are people just counting on the digital foundry readers?
You act as if gamespot and IGN aren't going to mention it. Your also going to have developers talking about the game. Xbox marketing deals didn't stop devs from talking about the pro or its upgrades

jelly

Seriously how is this going to work out for them? What popular games are they going to show "best on the Scorpio" for if Sony has all the ad deals?

Are people just counting on the digital foundry readers?

Scorpio is a enthusiast device I guess so those sort of people will know and it spreads from there. A simple advert will work, most powerful console ever, show all those sexy angles while spewing PR. It might work to some degree.

Top Bottom