• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Nintendo will have a surprise game at APEX 2015

There will definitely be more DLC for Smash, I'd be shocked if the only DLC that comes is Mewtwo. Sakurai always likes to surprise fans, even with outright lies, such as when he said Smash 4 would have a smaller roster than Brawl.

That said, I'm not expecting Mario Kart 8 levels of DLC. Might as well be called Mario Kart 8+1/2 once all the DLC comes out in May.

Yeah, I think more DLC is gonna happen. I'm not expecting characters since its a lot of work to make them. I'd be content with stages.
I could actually see them packaging Mewtwo with Pokemon Stadium 1 or Poke Floats. Would be nice.

You would think that any new info about Pokken would be shown in Japan first since that's where the arcade game will be at before the console version.

And Pokken is more Namco/TPC than Nintendo.

Well wasnt there gonna be some kind of Pokken announcement for the 23rd?

emb

You would think that any new info about Pokken would be shown in Japan first since that's where the arcade game will be at before the console version.

And Pokken is more Namco/TPC than Nintendo.
Well there is this. Not impossible that they could show more gameplay, then have a very limited demo.

But I think Splatoon is way more likely since it's coming so soon. And Hbox basically said it outright.

Both games will appeal to the competitive Nintendo crowd.

-Horizon-

Well wasnt there gonna be some kind of Pokken announcement for the 23rd?

I heard about that yeah. But Apex is on the 30th of this month to the 1st of February though. At least that's what their website tells me.

So unless its a pre-announcement for an exclusive first look at Pokken, I don't think they're related.

Splatoon's main draw is 4v4 competitive multiplayer, so it would fit right in with the other competitive Nintendo game being highlighted at the event.

Unless they surprise us and they show Devil's Third again, but I highly doubt that.

Hatchtag

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;148250414 said:
Yeah, I think more DLC is gonna happen. I'm not expecting characters since its a lot of work to make them. I'd be content with stages.
I could actually see them packaging Mewtwo with Pokemon Stadium 1 or Poke Floats. Would be nice.

I kinda expect either Pokemon Stadium on both or Pokemon Stadium on one and Poke Floats on the other. Since they're using Mewtwo as a test of sorts for DLC, they might as well test stage DLC too with it. Plus Pokemon Stadium 2 being there instead of 1 is just strange.

in all seriousness, please no splatoon. I get it nintendo, you're making a shooter. Just show me mewtwo + tell me when I can play as him pls.

Regiruler

Mewtwo is so dull, and we can pretty much imagine how he'll work anyway.

I'd rather get more looks at something completely new. If it's splatoon, I hope to God it's an updated build with new weapons/maps.

Just saw the vid, ugh, guess its going to be more splatoon... :/ I hope it has something new to show at least instead of the same shit.

Hatchtag

Banned
Mewtwo is so dull, and we can pretty much imagine how he'll work anyway.

I'd rather get more looks at something completely new. If it's splatoon, I hope to God it's an updated build with new weapons/maps.

It's been 14 years since we last saw a playable Mewtwo in a Smash game, and he was pretty crappy in that one. There's both rebalancing and 14 years of new Pokemon games to account for. He's gonna be fairly different, especially with how much attention to balancing this Smash has received. So I think a walkthrough of what Mewtwo is now like would be rather interesting.

But after seeing that video, its probably Splatoon and I really hope its a newer build.

emb

quick who would be the best 4 Smash players to pick for a Splatoon team :p
Dabuz, the guy who won the Kid Icarus thing.

And Azen, who's just good at video games apparently. Actually a lot of high level Smash players are probably just good like that.

Don't know for the other two.

in all seriousness, please no splatoon. I get it nintendo, you're making a shooter. Just show me mewtwo + tell me when I can play as him pls.

Just saw the vid, ugh, guess its going to be more splatoon... :/ I hope it has something new to show at least instead of the same shit.

So, you'd rather a 17 year old Pokemon and Melee veteran get shown than them push the first big character based IP from EAD since, like, Pikmin?

I understand Splatoon may not be your personal cup of tea, but really?

I'm really confused. How does that video confirm Splatoon? I feel like an idiot who isn't putting two and two together, but I've watched that video three times and don't even understand how he "done goofed". Is it because he confirmed a game is going to be playable at APEX? Was that not known before this video?

And even so, why are people saying it's confirmed as Splatoon?

emb

So, you'd rather a 17 year old Pokemon and Melee veteran get shown than them push the first big character based IP from EAD since, like, Pikmin?

I understand Splatoon may not be your personal cup of tea, but really?
I agree with you on Splatoon vs Mewtwo, but that same demo of Splatoon is getting a little old now. Playing it is probably always fresh, but as a showpiece if feels like it was worn out by the end of E3.

But the main point would be, I guess, to let more people get a chance to play it. So even if it's the same demo, I'd be more excited to see it there.

I'm really confused. How does that video confirm Splatoon? I feel like an idiot who isn't putting two and two together, but I've watched that video three times and don't even understand how he "done goofed". Is it because he confirmed a game is going to be playable at APEX? Was that not known before this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R27dVfBeiUE

^ Is that the video you saw? Two different points from the event. Part of it is that D1 just plain slipped (or put on a good act) and accidentally revealed something would be playable. The other part is Hbox trying to get D1 to spoil it, and spoiling it himself in the process. "D1, wanna spoil something? Have you ever tried fried squid?"

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Do you like fried squid?

Hatchtag

Banned

Splatoon has not been confirmed to be playable at Apex. Hbox joked about Squid. D1 and someone else talked about having fun playing Splatoon at E3, then D1 said "Speaking of which did you hear what game's gonna be playable at Apex?". Both times he looked like he regretted what he was saying.

Regiruler

what Kid Icarus thing?

I would assume a tournament.
I remember hearing something about it, but it's been years.
Dabuz, the guy who won the Kid Icarus thing.

And Azen, who's just good at video games apparently. Actually a lot of high level Smash players are probably just good like that.

Don't know for the other two.

Are any smashers notable FPS players? Particularly TF2.

I agree with you on Splatoon vs Mewtwo, but that same demo of Splatoon is getting a little old now. Playing it is probably always fresh, but as a showpiece if feels like it was worn out by the end of E3.

But the main point would be, I guess, to let more people get a chance to play it. So even if it's the same demo, I'd be more excited to see it there.

Well, yeah, I can understand if you'd played the Splatoon demo before and it was the same.

Also, between Jan 31st - Feb 1st, Splatoon is going to be playable for the first time in Japan. I think they're the same days as APEX? Possible they created a new demo for both events, maybe?

emb

what Kid Icarus thing?
They mentioned it when he won the Smash 3DS invitational Nintendo did post launch. Apparently it was a Nintendo (or Gamestop?) held tournament to hype up the KI:U launch.
Also, between Jan 31st - Feb 1st, Splatoon is going to be playable for the first time in Japan. I think they're the same days as APEX? Possible they created a new demo for both events, maybe?
That seems like a thing that makes sense. Those are indeed the same days (well, I think Apex might start on the 30th).
Are any smashers notable FPS players? Particularly TF2.
None that I know. But then, I don't actually know of any pro FPS players. I'm sure there's an overlap somewhere.

Cody_D165

Banned
It's quite possible that it wouldn't be game.

I wouldn't be surprised that they probably announce that we are getting Super Smash Bros Brawl from Wii Download for Wii U.

jesus christ

if this happened I think the fucking APEX crowd would literally riot in the streets

Hatchtag

Banned
jesus christ

if this happened I think the fucking APEX crowd would literally riot in the streets

The Wii U suddenly has some sort of way to use Gamepad as Classic Controller. They're not gonna release the most hackable Wii Game through the service, and if they do, holy shit I'll be happy as hell seeing all the things modders do with it.

Nap1400

I think I screwed up on the update thread. TheRapture said at one point something along the lines of "If you're a fan of Splatoon, just...go to Apex". It doesn't seem to be from Twitter though: I think it was a shout he made on the Shoutbox on Squidboards that got buried.

In any case, all my money is on Splatoon. I'm willing to eat crow if it isn't.

Toad.T

Banned
So much downed hopes. Maybe the female Inkling is going to be announced as the 2nd DLC fighter alongside Mewtwo? Be a good way to promote both games.

...wait, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Carry on with the low expectations.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think I screwed up on the update thread. TheRapture said at one point something along the lines of "If you're a fan of Splatoon, just...go to Apex". It doesn't seem to be from Twitter though: I think it was a shout he made on the Shoutbox on Squidboards that got buried.

In any case, all my money is on Splatoon. I'm willing to eat crow if it isn't.

Wait squidboards? theres a splatoon fan site already?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So much downed hopes. Maybe the female Inkling is going to be announced as the 2nd DLC fighter alongside Mewtwo? Be a good way to promote both games.

...wait, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Carry on with the low expectations.

What are you on about?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI EVO also got a hold of Tatsunoko vs Capcom location test build and it was during first location in Japan

Dr. Buni

Splatoon is my first thought.
Same. Nintendo wants it to be the Mario Kart of the shooter genre, so they need to push it as much as possible.

I only hope it is nothing related to the boring Mehtwo. A second DLC character announcement for Smash would be great. Like say, Splatoon's Inkling.

I feel it's definitely Splatoon, especially with D1's slip up. He looked genuinely horrified, I kinda felt bad that he slipped up about that as he definitely seems like a guy who is doing all he can to advance himself as a professional commentator.

Anyways, assuming it is Splatoon, it would be pretty exciting to watch a bunch of Smash players duke it out in a 'side tournament', if there was even time in the busy Apex schedule for that. That said, a lot people are already expecting Splatoon now, so if Nintendo really wanted to blow people's socks off they would show Inkling as playable DLC character in Smash 4 (in addition to talking about the actual game, like I'm sure they will). Now that would be spectacular.

GamerJM

Banned
Mew2King because he is an expert on covering enemy territory in paint.

861.gif

Top Bottom