• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

Blues1990

I loved the N64, GCN, & Wii installments of the Paper Mario series, but I honestly haven't played Sticker Star, given how most of my friends have said the 3DS game was like poison. Is it worth checking out, or should I skip it entirely?

As for this announcement, there was a fan concept artwork of what a potential Paper Mario game would look like on the Wii U, with paper textures on the models. Visually, I would like it if the next console PM game would go in this direction.

paper_mario_wii_u_screenshot_by_preetard-d58hezx.png

NotLiquid

I loved the N64, GCN, & Wii installments of the Paper Mario series, but I honestly haven't played Sticker Star, given how most of my friends have said the 3DS game was like poison. Is it worth checking out, or should I skip it entirely?

As for this announcement, there was a fan concept artwork of what a potential Paper Mario game would look like on the Wii U, with paper textures on the models. Visually, I would like it if the next console PM game would go in this direction.

I'd kill for a Shy Guy partner.

In fact just make it a Shy Gal.

RichardKSJ

Maybe I'm not remembering all details, but weren't the changes Miyamoto made in Sticker Star the result of feedback from Club Nintendo?

Why blame him, when people are always like "why Nintendo doesn't listen to feedback" and they listening to that; resulted in the changes.

I think most of the surveys are probably half assed by people as they only do them for coins not to give feedback.

They have to realize that right? If the surveys didn't give up a reward the only reason to do a survey is because you actually care. I wouldn't take any of those surveys seriously if I was giving rewards in return because I'd know almost no one was doing them to give real feedback.

It's still our faults though for caring more about the rewards than giving proper feedback. That's what this gets us.

It's not. SPM had a ton of story content and is a far worse game than Sticker Star. Both games are a shadow of the first two entries but SPM is the only one I'd consider a bad game.

This. SPM is ugly and tedious. It has some of the cheapest padding you could think of, not only in gameplay and level design, but there's also far more text than in any of the RPGs for no reason. SS might not be a real PM, but it's at least good at what it did differently. Which is being an hardcore, open adventure game without any kind of handholding (like Zelda 1, only giving you one ultimate objective at the very beginning, then you're on your own) that requires focus and out of the box thinking to progress, which makes it very rewarding. Amazing presentation on top of it. Of course, despite everyone hating on handholding, such a drastic design choice would not be welcomed by most gamers nowadays.

Thank got it seems that Sticker Star did worse than TTYD and SPM (at least according to ******** but idk how much it is reliable, pls be true)

SS haters also think banned sites are legit, shocking ;)
It's false info. SS sold better than 64&TTYD

Vena

Retro leak soon pls
inb4 dkcr3

Metroid U, takes after Super Metroid, and at the end of the game, you get rescued by the Metroid U. It sucks out the life from the evil Mother XS4-Brain and gives it to Samus.

Afterwards the evil iRidley kicks your shit in and the game fades to black.

It is a First Person Tactical MMORPG in glorious 4D. Playable only with touch controls and a Kinect.

Shojx

Every Paper Mario thread turns into rating the PM games...

So true, lol.

I think the majority agrees the first two were the best at being "Paper Mario" while SPM and SS have their own respective fans and critics.

I just hope this next game is amazing so we can all move on.

"I met an Intelligent Systems employee once, he revealed a new game exclusively to me and other ten people."

I'd love a new Paper Mario game but to be honest, this sounds like bullshit. Leaking secret projects can be a fireable offense.

ffdgh

What's with some of the hate for Super Paper Mario? It's one of my favorites in the series.
My only issue is that it was a bit on the easy side...especially with peach's umbrella and bowser lol. The humor and presentation remained intact from ttyd for me.

Geg

Super Paper Mario was really good imo but I know a lot of people wanted a proper RPG like the first two, that's where most of the backlash comes from

Grief.exe

There is this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=963700

Says Sticker Star was at 2.21 mil, first PM at 1.37 mil, TTYD at 1.66 mil, at SPM at 4.23 mil, all as of March of this year.
Eh, so much for the backlash...

5IgUJzb.gif

Can I have a Sticker Star 2 with meaty side-quests, refined gameplay, partners and a story as funny as the one on SPM?

To be fair, the Wii just about covers the LTD sales for the N64, Gamecube, and 3DS combined.

Grexeno

Eh, so much for the backlash...

5IgUJzb.gif

Can I have a Sticker Star 2 with meaty side-quests, refined gameplay, partners and a story as funny as the one on SPM?
Being on the 3DS and Wii artificially inflate their numbers simply due to both systems selling much, much more than the N64 and GC

Scrawnton

Sticker Star was a fantastic game with the Paper Mario name. People are just mad because it wasn't an rpg like the first two games. It's still an amazing game.

zroid

Banned
Are you some kind of sadist?

If it does turn out that way I guess I'll just suck it up and try to squeeze some enjoyment out of it. That is of course if this even happens.

Yes.

GAF has made me this way.

real talk though, a Sticker Star sequel would be cool. I don't actually want a port

taa0098

Neo Member
I would deep throat the hairiest dick out there for a true, proper paper mario on wii u. Or on anything. Please.

Overside

Banned
I never really cared much for this series.

So... Im secretly hoping this isnt true and the resources are being spent elsewhere on a project I like...

But I guess Ill be outwardly supportive of the people who are getting a game in a series they like.

There is this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=963700

Says Sticker Star was at 2.21 mil, first PM at 1.37 mil, TTYD at 1.66 mil, at SPM at 4.23 mil, all as of March of this year.
Let's see the attach rate...

Paper Mario 64: 1/24 (4%)
Thousand-Year Door: 1/13,1 (7,6%)
Super Paper Mario: 1/24 (4,2%)
Sticker Star: 1/23,6 (4,2%)

You can't simply compare a GC game to a Wii game considering the huge difference in user base. And to be honest Mario games sell regardless of quality, the more accessible the better.

Crayolan

PLEASE
BE
FUCKING
REAL

PLEASE
BE
FUCKING
GOOD

^

I'm not gonna put my hopes up though, IS has had a lot on their plate recently between FE If, SMTxFE, and Codename STEAM, I doubt they've had time to be working on Paper Mario unless it just started development.

Shojx

^

I'm not gonna put my hopes up though, IS has had a lot on their plate recently between FE If, SMTxFE, and Codename STEAM, I doubt they've had time to be working on Paper Mario unless it just started development.

I like to pretend they've had this brewing since around Sticker Star's release, so that it's less than a year away. ;')

Gnilres

This is gorgeous. I'd love something like that

DNAbro

^

pretty sure SMT X FE is a full on Atlus project.

Dez_

Loved Paper Mario on N64 and GameCube. Never finished Super Paper Mario though, wasn't really feeling it and I remember Mario Galaxy was recently picked up, so that took my attention. I remember stopping at this space chapter, with several identical areas that pretty much put me off the game. Basically, I prefer something akin to the first two games. Never tried Sticker Star, but impressions never seem to be good.

amnesiac

Would've much rather had a new flagship Mario game, but a Paper Mario game is alright I guess... Glad for fans of the series, just not my cup of tea.

Considering prices for copies nowadays, it's worth the price to try it. Who knows you might end up liking it. Just remember it's considered the worst Paper Mario game.

Also nice avatar ;)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I liked Super Paper Mario, and thought Sticker Star had enough good ideas behind it that I wouldn't mind another shot at that style...

As long as they don't dump the plot like Sticker Star did, honestly I'll be happy. I'd like Partners, but honestly it's not a game breaker for me...

And if that upsets people, just remember you guys let Codename S.T.E.A.M. die. You hurt me...bad.

WillyFive

It's not. SPM had a ton of story content and is a far worse game than Sticker Star. Both games are a shadow of the first two entries but SPM is the only one I'd consider a bad game.

Well, that must certainly be for emotional reasons, because there's nothing about SPM that I can think of that I would consider subpar or even average; everything about it was excellently made. It's only flaw would be that it doesn't have the turn-based battle system that PM64 and TTYD, which would be a matter of taste.

Sticker Star however has many deficiencies, even on it's most basic mechanics that govern the entire game. For example, would you have any reason other than to get coins to engage in battles?

Yuterald

You're weird.

For me, it's Paper Mario > Sticker Star > Thousand Year Door > Super Paper Mario

Played the original back when it first released on the N64, so I'll always feel the strongest about it (and I generally just think it's the most fun to replay). I played TTYD when it first released, but dropped it for whatever reason. I finally sat down with it and finished it in its entirety about 2 years ago. I have like little to no desire to ever replay it. It's WAY TOO chatty, even for a Paper Mario game. All I think about is having to sit through that arena chapter where you have to go back and forth a million times, etc. and that detective train chapter...so fucking tedious!

I think Sticker Star has its issues, but there was a lot of good ground-work there for a better game. Regardless, the stage design is so clever, compact, competent and tight. I could easily see myself replaying Sticker Star the most due to how to-the-point it is, if that makes any sense.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I do think it's fair to say TTYD is really chatty sometimes. I felt that way when I played it as a kid (especially Glitzpit, it has a really cool plot but it is kind of tedious), and when I replayed it a few years ago.

Well, that must certainly be for emotional reasons, because there's nothing about SPM that I can think of that I would consider subpar or even average; everything about it was excellently made. It's only flaw would be that it doesn't have the turn-based battle system that PM64 and TTYD, which would be a matter of taste.

I don't have a problem whatsoever with the lack of a turn-based battle system. SPM's pacing is absolutely subpar, so much so that it diminishes everything the game gets right, at least in my opinion. It's an incredible slog to get through.

Top Bottom