• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

Kerotan

These are all calculated responses to other companies. Sony has no real games this year the pro is looking like it might not happen yet, Xbox is years away from new hardware so why release early and hamper switch sales?

They will wait for next year because they simply can.

They release early they risk losing momentum to ps5 pro or nextbox.
This is only depended on the chip manufacturing for the next console. It obviously was ready for mass production this year. Don't over think it.

00_Zer0

If this is true better release the new DK game, and Metroid Prime 4 this year. DK for summer and Prime 4 for fall/Christmas. Then get a Zelda remake out there this year(Oracle games), and releases of Windwaker, Twighlight Princess, and Prime 2 and 3. Trying to fit all those games in this year is difficult and if they are all ready to go that is a good problem to have. This kind of action will propel Switch past the 150 million+ Nintendo needs for the Switch to be GOAT platform of all time.

It's amazing the amount of games Nintendo has at the ready at any given time since the Switch released. I bet they continue this trend into Switch 2's life. Regardless of platform allegiance Sony, Microsoft, and third party developers can't keep the pace.

Also, If the GPU/CPU soc is set in stone on the Switch 2, lets hope we will have at least 12-16 gigs of ram in this bad boy, especially if the original plan was only 8. Maybe they will have time to adjust it now if this delay rumor is true.

Last edited:

yurinka

This is going to be gross (but should be heaven for fans of indie games)
Indies are having issues to find publishers or investors wanting to fund their games. The amount of indie studios keepp heavily increasing but the amount of games that a publisher can handle or that a platform holder can support per year is limited.

Last edited:

Gudji

Annoying, my son keeps bothering me to get him a Switch and i told him I promised Switch 2 in 2024 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

Fuck this, bad strategy. I’m sure it is due to losses at a price point they want or a hot new game being ready.

They don’t need a system seller year one. Their current frame and resolution is the seller. They should just have a cost gouging model this year with oled, and then reduce from there to hit mass market.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Fuck this, bad strategy. I’m sure it is due to losses at a price point they want or a hot new game being ready.

They don’t need a system seller year one. Their current frame and resolution is the seller. They should just have a cost gouging model this year with oled, and then reduce from there to hit mass market.
Some rumors from last year were that they were considering using LCD because of lack of availability for OLED screens.

I’m choosing to believe that this delay is because Miyamoto-san saw the new screen next to the Switch OLED and a piece of his soul died, so he insisted on OLED for Switch 2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No way they're revealing it this March then or whatever people were saying. They're not gonna reveal it a year before it's released, it's gonna be a fall unveiling with a spring release, just like the Switch (which will then be eight years old).

Annoying, been looking to pick up a switch since the end of last year. There’s no point with a new device on the Horizon.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Indies are having issues to find publishers or investors wanting to fund their games. The amount of indie studios keepp heavily increasing but the amount of games that a publisher can handle or that a platform holder can support per year is limited.
Publishers will be more willing to spend on an indie title especially if they haven’t paid development costs and only need to market/publish.

While my next point is probably controversial/bleak, it’s also true: all the folks who have lost positions over the last 6 months (and will loose their positions this year) can take their severance packages and make the games they want to make on their own. Then they can go fishing: find a marketing team or publisher to launch on Steam and other “indie friendly” platforms.

Luigi Mario

No way they're revealing it this March then or whatever people were saying. They're not gonna reveal it a year before it's released, it's gonna be a fall unveiling with a spring release, just like the Switch (which will then be eight years old).
If anything, it could be something like this:

Just a conformation that your next gen hardware is coming in early 2025.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This. Someone needs to point out the official Nintendo announcement of the launch of Switch 2.
That’s ridiculous, of course it can be delayed even if there was never a release date officially announced. You do realize that companies target a release date internally long before they announce it to the public, right?

Sojiro

I’m choosing to believe that this delay is because Miyamoto-san saw the new screen next to the Switch OLED and a piece of his soul died, so he insisted on OLED for Switch 2.
Doesn't sound like my Miyamoto at all. He would see the LCD model and ask "What is this shit?", throw it in the trash, and demand people be fired before going back to his gold lined pool for the week. I don't expect to see OLED on the launch Switch 2, but god damn do I want it.

They want the #1 selling console moniker. Needs one more year
Another year on the market, and a good permanent price drop and I really think the Switch makes it there.

I think I am past the point of even caring what the "insider leak" rumor mill of the week is saying. Still think we're getting that Nintendo direct this week? 🤣

Last edited:
These are all calculated responses to other companies. Sony has no real games this year the pro is looking like it might not happen yet, Xbox is years away from new hardware so why release early and hamper switch sales?
Nintendo operates in their own bubble for the most part, but yeah I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they're surveying the greater 2024 gaming landscape and figure they can maybe eek out another year.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Nate is just speculating. He's not saying he has info it is 2025.
Nate also said he heard sources from GDC telling him March something something.

I dunno, Nintendo slate rn only has 3 games announced and they are not system sellers.

ManaByte

Hopefully delayed so they could release it with an OLED screen.

Nope. $299 Switch 2 launch. Possible $349 deluxe model with more storage. LCD screen.

Switch Lite discontinued, Switch 1 base model drops to $199.

Switch 2 OLED version in year 3-4 when Nintendo can ship it for $349 without taking a loss. That's their way.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo operates in their own bubble for the most part, but yeah I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they're surveying the greater 2024 gaming landscape and figure they can maybe eek out another year.
This is not about eeking out another year. Nintendo's top priority is a massively successful Switch 2. They've never been able to achieve the 1-2 punch of the PS1 and PS2 that is still carrying Sony to this day. Any delay will be in order to improve the chances of another runaway success for their next platform and successfully transition their huge audience to it. It's not about winning some arbitrary console war metric.

Top Bottom