• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Xbox One May Be Getting A New APU Based On AMD’s Polaris Architecture

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Lol wccftech "UPDATE: Upon further verification, it appears like Xbox One Polaris may just be the codename Netflix uses for all the consoles."

Why do the research before publishing? More clicks!!!

Pulled from another site, p22games.com, credit to the poster ziggurcat
20160101_195445.jpg

Seems it's just the name of the Netflix version for the specific device.

geordiemp

Sorry, until MisterXMedia comments I'm not willing to believe anything.

Oh I miss some mister X, mr cteam, best laughs in ages.

Back on topic I would love both Xb1 and Ps4 to get stronger APU and be called Xb1+ and Ps4+, both backward compatible.

Would buy both.

Freeman

Banned
That would be just suicidal. Change of architecture and fragmentation of your already smaller install base? For what?

iceatcs

Maybe let discuss how it start as rumour and why some want to believe it.

Nah this thread is over for real gamers.

Pif

Banned
Could extra power be used to handle Oculus Rift headsets?

I think it is a wasted opportunity for Microsoft not to be able to tackle on the rift and the oculus touch controllers. All that coupled with kinect 2, could make for a very accurate VR experience.

Abylim

I cant believe people think its not only reasonable but likely that MS would risk fragmenting their hard fought for customer base.

Learn something new every day!

Kezen

Banned
So it was true. It is all coming together.

The Xbox One (the All In One entertainment system by Microsoft) has truly been beta tested in the future.

Kezen

Banned
Starting off 2016 right with more "secret sauce" or other silly crap. I swear, we never had a gen before like this one. It is quite sad, yet entertaining.

And we are done here.

Some people never got over the fact that the Xbone is a relatively weak console hardware wise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some people never got over the fact that the Xbone is a relatively weak console hardware wise.

Which is what I find quite baffling. Considering that every other generation, the weaker console was accepted as such, and never had a "secret sauce" site or rumor mill set up (just pro/con comparisons). I would almost go as far as to even say it is practically viral marketing. There can't be people this feverish on their own accord, can there be?

Crayon

If a revised xbox played games at 1080p, the press would have to explain what a great improvement it is. It would be too awkward.

Pokemaniac

Which is what I find quite baffling. Considering that every other generation, the weaker console was accepted as such, and never had a "secret sauce" site or rumor mill set up. I would almost go as far as to even say it is practically viral marketing. There can't be people this feverish on their own accord, can there be?

This gen is somewhat of an aberration with the fact that the most powerful console is currently leading in sales. That is very uncommon, as past trends are actually closer to the reverse. The most powerful console is usually an expensive behemoth which doesn't perform as well, while one of the less powerful systems tends to have some sort of distinct advantage. This generation broke that pattern pretty hard.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This gen is somewhat of an aberration with the fact that the most powerful console is currently leading in sales. That is very uncommon, as past trends are actually closer to the reverse. The most powerful console is usually an expensive behemoth which doesn't perform as well, while one of the less powerful systems tends to have some sort of distinct advantage. This generation broke that pattern pretty hard.

Isn't that due to the off the shelf hardware reaping dividends? They can go lower cost with the machine off the bat and still be competitive with specs

Pokemaniac

Isn't that due to the off the shelf hardware reaping dividends? They can go lower cost with the machine off the bat and still be competitive with specs

While I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the situation, that may be part of it. Another thing which I suspect is a large contributing factor is that, compared to previous gens, the hardware this time around is kinda weak. As much as people praise the PS4's power, it really isn't top of the line, even considering when it released.

Inuhanyou

While I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the situation, that may be part of it. Another thing which I suspect is a large contributing factor is that, compared to previous gens, the hardware this time around is kinda weak. As much as people praise the PS4's power, it really isn't top of the line, even considering when it released.

True....but that also comes with the fact that the companies prioritize the right things now. A balance between efficiency, price and power for their own specific financial prospective, and not just console warring about destroying each other that ends up hurting the industry.

Stuffing more things in the box means higher risk everything, and much more necessary cost reductions before moving on.

The PS4 is not so weak that it can't produce very impressive looking and playing games after all, and if you want to prioritize graphics, there's plenty leeway there. But its definitely true that its not top of the line hardware, intentionally so.

Inuhanyou

There were already "rumours" talking about Sony releasing an enhanced PS4. We will see about both companies: CES is next week.

That is not a rumor. The interview was an interviewer asking about releasing an enhanced PS4, and a Sony guy saying it was technically possible because of x86, but not something they were internally discussing, and Shu came back at a later date and reiterated that it was only a hypothetical scenario and not something in development.

They aren't stupid enough to do such a thing, and MS aren't either.

jaypah

Maybe let discuss how it start as rumour and why some want to believe it.

Nah this thread is over for real gamers.

Because we just had news on AMD Polaris and eager people tried to put 2 and 2 together? Or maybe you have a different reason? What's your take on it?

krang

The only way I could see Microsoft releasing an upgraded XB1 is if it was for a specific purpose - namely VR.

Having a version called the Xbox One VR that allowed you to play VR with its updated specs as well as play games designed for standard XB1 might be passable as an 'option'.

A straight hardware revision just to make it faster would be a confusing kick in the balls.

Top Bottom