• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURGEdude

C0EtPvsXAAAA1xZ.jpg

That's not as bad as I was expecting actually.

the magic words have been spoken

the soldiers in the war on terror have gained 500 experience points and have received +3 to accuracy and willpower

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It's not the statement of the Trump, it's the after-tweets where he tries to roll back all the decency that he initially laid out.

Because I know how ignorant people can be, I immediately, once hearing this, searched twitter to see how many imbeciles were somehow implying or suggesting that this is what President Obama meant when he said there would be consequences, or a response, for Russia's interference in our election.

Sure enough, we've gone full fucking crazy and this is pretty much looking like the type of thing that could gain enough steam (benghazi 2.0) from the most radical of the right wing before eventually being mainstreamed by Republicans in Congress. They will happily oblige, because you know they'll want to use it as a weapon in the 2020 elections. All that said, totally expected this would be somehow tied to Syria and Aleppo.

necrosis

Because I know how ignorant people can be, I immediately, once hearing this, searched twitter to see how many imbeciles were somehow implying or suggesting that this is what President Obama meant when he said there would be consequences, or a response, for Russia's interference in our election.

Sure enough, we've gone full fucking crazy and this is pretty much looking like the type of thing that could gain enough steam (benghazi 2.0) from the most radical of the right wing before eventually being mainstreamed by Republicans in Congress. They will happily oblige, because you know they'll want to use it as a weapon in the 2020 elections. All that said, totally expected this would be somehow tied to Syria and Aleppo.

i never really considered this until reading your post (although i absolutely should have)

can't wait for the ankaragate subreddit

Toxi

Banned
This sounds like it could get ugly.

"This murder is clearly a provocation aimed at undermining the improvement and normalization of Russian-Turkish relations, as well as undermining the peace process in Syria promoted by Russia, Turkey, Iran and other countries interested in settling the conflict in Syria," Putin said in a statement on Monday evening.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-karlov-shot-ankara-syria-peace-a7485376.html
But this makes it sound like Russia's too set on its current direction with Turkey for this to change things.

FunkyMonk

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Actually world war is very unlikely over this incident. For a start Russia knows that ifor it goes after Turkey NATO will step in and that's a war Russia can't win.

There'll be rhetoric and strongly worded statements, they'll probably take their time appointing a new ambassador as a former if recall but war won't happen over this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why is he putting the emphasis that "murder of an ambassador is not ok", like if it's not an ambassador it's kinda ok?
More like, murdering an ambassador has a certain symbolic power compared to some other types of murders, since it can affect diplomatic relations, not necessarily an implication that "it's OK if it's not an ambassador". Of course, that's how I'd read it if it were released by anyone other than Trump. With him, who the hell knows :p

enewtabie

Russia having a bad day. One of their Foreign ministry dep (Latin America)t heads shot in the head in his apartment. Sounds like it could be domestic though.

Kozak

Banned
This is sad.

Sitting in Australia, I don't even know what to feel yet.

I just hope the powers in be can be level headed about this.

RexNovis

Banned
This is terrifying. How likely is it that this actually turns into a world wide conflict? How worried should I be as an American living abroad looking at possibly coming back in a little over a year?

This is terrifying. How likely is it that this actually turns into a world wide conflict? How worried should I be as an American living abroad looking at possibly coming back in a little over a year?

Live your life, be careful, but not fearful of doing what you want to do. Be kind, considerate and courteous. Give love and respect and most of all enjoy each and every day you are given as much as you can.

WillyFive

Depends on where you are coming from, past history, and any new rules put in place.

antonz

At worst Russia instead of dropping 5 cluster bombs every block might drop 7 while also stirring up some trouble through proxies.

This wont escalate to any big thing. Unfortunately the innocent people the gunmen was trying to make people remember will be the ones who suffer for his action.

choodi

Banned
I love coming into threads like this to check out the posts by all the amateur crime scene analysts/international terrorism experts whose whole expertise is based on watching The Wire and Homeland.

Fucking hilarious sometimes.

RiZ III

Meantime Russia continues to drop thousands of bombs on civillians and support a regime that has comitted the worst atrocities of our generation. They have decimated cities and killed over a quarter million people specially targeting hospitals and civilians. But yea, THIS is what violates all civilized rules.

Meantime Russia continues to drop thousands of bombs on civillians and support a regime that has comitted the worst atrocities of our generation. They have decimated cities and killed over a quarter million people specially targeting hospitals and civilians. But yea, THIS is what violates all civilized rules.
This is fucking terrible logic. So is assassinating an ambassador on in your mind if you don't like them? Literally all he said is killing an ambassador is something all people should condemn regardless of feelings which isn't something I see as especially controversial.

Acorn

Take away: Assassinations don't start wars but if there's enough political turmoil building up then an assassination will start a war. Well good thing Turkey and Russia are on good terms.
I'll bet my house on this not causing ww3. If you think otherwise you are either alarmist or grossly misinformed.

Dmax3901

Why are people in here freaking out? I was reading that Putin has agreed it was an attempt at disrupting ties between Turkey and Russia and that "it will not succeed".

Sounds fairly calm to me.

Why are people in here freaking out? I was reading that Putin has agreed it was an attempt at disrupting ties between Turkey and Russia and that "it will not succeed".

Sounds fairly calm to me.

What they say and what they'll do are two very different things.

FStop7

Banned
The Sun has a quote from a Russian defense minister blaming NATO secret services. How reliable is the Sun, though?

Opto

Banned
I can see more of this happening. Imagine if a civil war broke out in the US, and Russia backed the government that started the whole thing by killing protestors. They start blowing up civilians, hospitals, homes. Then you get the only chance to kill a representative of the very government that does not care who lives or dies, only that the US faction they support survives to be a crucial geopolitical pawn.

Valhelm

contribute something
Take away: Assassinations don't start wars but if there's enough political turmoil building up then an assassination will start a war. Well good thing Turkey and Russia are on good terms.

Turkey and Russia aren't on good terms. Not remotely. Just over a year ago, a Russian fighter jet was shot down by Turkey. Less than three weeks ago, Erdogan confirmed that their war goal in Syria is to topple Assad, not just defeat ISIS like they had earlier said.

We're seeing rising tensions between two nationalist and illiberal states who have are currently engaged in offensive wars against their neighbors.

antonz

The Sun has a quote from a Russian defense minister blaming NATO secret services. How reliable is the Sun, though?

Russian Press was running it very heavily on TV that it was all the evil CIA etc. Russia may deliver more measured comments publicly but at home the feed full on conspiracy theory

odhiex

This looks very staged, like a scene from an American-spy movie.

Some one need to take a good dig on this.

Opto

Banned
Full on armed conflict is unlikely between Russia and Turkey. And even if it did happen, Europe won't get involved because the US won't get involved because Putin has his hand way up Trump's puppet hole.

Tripon

Associated Press photographer Burhan Ozbilici was attending a photo exhibition Monday when a Turkish policeman opened fire, killing Russia's ambassador to Turkey. He recounts how he captured the chaotic scene with his camera despite the lethal danger.

I was, of course, fearful and knew of the danger if the gunman turned toward me. But I advanced a little and photographed the man as he hectored his desperate, captive audience.

This is what I was thinking: "I'm here. Even if I get hit and injured, or killed, I'm a journalist. I have to do my work. I could run away without making any photos…. But I wouldn't have a proper answer if people later ask me: 'Why didn't you take pictures?' "

I even thought about friends and colleagues who have died while taking photographs in conflict zones over the years.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-turkey-assassination-photographer-20161219-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom