• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.C. official resigns after telling EMS workers to kill themselves if unhappy

Dalek

S.C. official resigns after telling EMS workers to kill themselves if unhappy

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A Richland County administrator who apparently told his employees to kill themselves if they were unhappy with their jobs has resigned, CBS affiliate WCSC-TV in Charleston reports.

Kevin Bronson, the assistant county administrator for public safety, submitted his resignation letter Monday morning.

The resignation comes as EMS workers, Columbia firefighters and retired law enforcement officers from across South Carolina joined protested Bronson's comments.

In a meeting with more than 100 county EMS workers, Bronson said an extensive list of employee complaints had been hanging over him.

"So I'm looking through this list with 50 different problems, and if it's really that bad, you can just kill yourself or leave," Bronson said, according to one person who heard the comments.

In his resignation letter, Bronson said that his comments to EMS workers were "horrible" and "terrible" things to say.

"My disrespectful words hurt and offended many people in the Richland County Government, especially the EMS workers, EMS workers across this country and surviving friends and families of loved ones of suicide," Bronson wrote. "I am sorry."

Bronson admitted that he hoped the controversy would eventually blow over. "While I wanted to right the ship by staying on board in my job, that is not appropriate," Bronson wrote.

David Arnold, director of Debrief Incorporated, called the comments "absolutely appalling."

"To say that to first responders who deal with death and crisis situations every day was not only insensitive, but it was unprofessional and it was childish," Arnold said.

How devoid of compassion do you have to be to say, even jokingly (which makes it a whole different kind of sick given the profession he's dealing with), 'kill yourself' because you're seeing too many complaints?

Kthulhu

Maybe if you addressed the cause of the complaints then you'd get less, jackass. Hopefully his replacement will do a better job.

They already don't make much down here in SC and he says this? To first responders? Dumb as hell. I don't know why he thought he could keep his job afterwards... expecting too much there bud.

Afrodium

Banned
I know what he said is terrible but I can't stop laughing at what a bizarre, insane, and unprofessional comment this is. Who would say something like that?

They already don't make much down here in SC and he says this? To first responders? Dumb as hell. I don't know why he thought he could keep his job afterwards... expecting too much there bud.

The list of complaints he references bring up trivial things like being 8 trucks short of the recommended standard, causing exhaustion and low morale and refusing offers of assistance to a flooded county causing its responders to work excessive hours for 45 days.

Even if you're a penny-squeezing hack, surely you know better than to just spit on something like that in front of your workers?

Top Bottom