• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook Pro leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

Da fuck?

1 big issue with one and they put out shitty products? Plural? lol Jeez

They've also had issues with tablets exploding, as well as washing machines, quite recently. While it's still a very small percentage of their business overall, I think it's fair to say plural. Especially in light of the fact that their replacement Note 7 phones also had exploding problems, too. That alone qualifies them for the plural....

Like I said I'm definitely not ready to condemn them forever but there's a slight trust issue on my part due to the prevalence of fatal issues in some of their stuff.

oti

Banned
Right but that's not anything like, say Windows 10 having native first-class stylus support. It's just launching a menu on an event. It's slight worse than Apple Pencil and Apple Pencil Support is terrible.

And Chrome OS is nothing like Windows. What is your point exactly? Samsung will pack-in its Samsung software tweaks and apps for the stylus. If you like those you will like this as well.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
They've also had issues with tablets exploding, as well as washing machines, quite recently. While it's still a very small percentage of their business overall, I think it's fair to say plural. Especially in light of the fact that their replacement Note 7 phones also had exploding problems, too. That alone qualifies them for the plural....

Like I said I'm definitely not ready to condemn them forever but there's a slight trust issue on my part due to the prevalence of fatal issues in some of their stuff.

Forgot about the exploding washing machines.. lol...

Yeah.. Not good recent PR stuff

im a sucker for Google and Samsung but I have too many devices already :(

my next purchase tho will probably be a Xbox One S for $199 or this if it hits $299

Somnid

And Chrome OS is nothing like Windows. What is your point exactly? Samsung will pack-in its Samsung software tweaks and apps for the stylus. If you like those you will like this as well.

Sorta my point. Unless Google themselves is going to push for more stylus integration this is a much less exciting piece of hardware. I don't fault Samsung with anything here, I love that they are trying this, and it's a nice looking device, but I'd be suspect about the device's utilization on the software end and also with Andromeda looming the future of Chromebooks in general.

oti

Banned
Sorta my point. Unless Google themselves is going to push for more stylus integration this is a much less exciting piece of hardware. I don't fault Samsung with anything here, I love that they are trying this, and it's a nice looking device, but I'd be suspect about the device's utilization on the software end and also with Andromeda looming the future of Chromebooks in general.

I see. As far as the ChromeOS part of this laptop goes I don't see that many good reasons to use a stylus tbh. Scribbling in the web version of OneNote sounds like a bad experience especially if you can just download the Android app and scribble on that. And ChromeOS is just a glorified browser window in the end. Not much use for a stylus there. In that way, sure, Windows is more interesting than this.

Also, what's Andromeda? Are we expecting a jump in performance? That would make the timing of this Pro machine rather odd.

Somnid

I see. As far as the ChromeOS part of this laptop goes I don't see that many good reasons to use a stylus tbh. Scribbling in the web version of OneNote sounds like a bad experience especially if you can just download the Android app and scribble on that. And ChromeOS is just a glorified browser window in the end. Not much use for a stylus there. In that way, sure, Windows is more interesting than this.

Also, what's Andromeda? Are we expecting a jump in performance? That would make the timing of this Pro machine rather odd.

The modern browsers (with the extremely ironic exception of Safari given Apple Pencil) are fully capable of good stylus apps and in fact on of my side projects recently has been developing a web sketch app specifically designed for styluses. The problem is there just isn't a lot of interest, partly for native bias and partly because there just aren't that many devices out there (Window 10 machines with styluses mainly), even native Android support is bad because the Note line was the only thing that really had one. Chromebooks would likely be worse because those are just running Android apps on the side with little to no actual care about the form factor from actual developers. Samsung will probably try to put in some effort but that's really it. So here I feel if the stylus is interesting then spend money for a similar priced Windows 10 convertible (Still runs Chrome after all) or that maybe Samsung should have made a Windows variant, or that Google should actually start caring about styluses.

Andromeda is the codename for Google's merged Android/Chrome OS. They deny it exists yet there's been a lot of evidence that it does and recent rumors peg it as launching in 2017. It's not especially clear if devices bought now would even be compatible with it and if it did come out that might be a quick end of life for Chrome OS. The sunsetting of Chrome Apps on other devices and the fact the Chrome app and extension APIs have not changed in over 2 years while pushing Android apps on Chrome OS is a general signal that Google is likely shifting away from ChromeOS.

spuckthew

Aesthetically, it looks ace. A laptop as thick (as thin?) as an iPad sounds fantastic. And the fact that it's Chrome OS doesn't even bother me much - only that the price for something so basic (in terms of software) is on the high side.

But saying that, I use a 2013 MacBook Air as a glorified netbook, so yeah. The only benefit, for my use case anyway, that my Air has over this Chromebook is that I can use Microsoft Office.

Sorry, but whe fuck is "pro" about a chromebook? People might turn that around on me and mention the iPad Pro, but at least that supports a shit-ton of native, powerful applications, as well as being an insanely high performance device considering the OS. Oh, and love the massive bezel at the bottom. Definitely Pro.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
$500 laptops are bad - maybe not garbage tier but screens, keyboards and trackpads are all extremely bad quality in them.

I've never bought a laptop for more than $300 and I've been very satisfied, so $500 for something that isn't guaranteed to run whatever program I may need to run sounds like a lot.

SMattera

I've never bought a laptop for more than $300 and I've been very satisfied, so $500 for something that isn't guaranteed to run whatever program I may need to run sounds like a lot.

What programs are you going to run on your sub $300 Windows laptop that you can't run on a Chromebook? Full Excel and Powerpoint? A sub $300-Windows laptop can't run many Windows programs. You're not going to be playing any games on that laptop, for example, or editing videos.

Speely

Banned
Probably gonna pick this up. Been looking for a reason to upgrade from my little C720, and this looks fantastic.

co1onel

Think of them as Ultrabook with lower storage.

I won't buy it though. Its size and price are too close to an used 12" Macbook. I can also get a 12" Xiaomi Ultrabook for about 600.
Can you get the Xiaomi notebook in the US yet? I had my eye on that a while ago but forgot about it.

trixx

my acer r11 chromebook supports android apps but of course not all android apps are compatible with the chromebook. Also I'm not running developer mode. New Chromebooks have the update to run android apps

Serious question, what are these for instead of a full fledged laptop? Or a much more capable laptop in the same price range?
The prices are really cheap generally in the $300-400 price range. You won't get as much functionality as a windows laptop, but I'd be very surprised if I seen a product in similar price range that works as fast as chromebooks do, since all it literally runs is chrome.

Quoting again:
Better hardware at the same/lesser price point (which usually means better battery life, better performance, better mouse/keyboard, etc). Don't have to install Windows updates. Don't need anti-virus. Virtually idiot-proof. Boots almost instantaneously.

Perfect device for basic computing. I bought it literally to write essays. Also lasts 8 hours+. I think max is like 12 hours which is nutty. Extremely light also

Chromebooks are one of those things that I can recommend to other people, but I can never find one that is for me. Most of them don't allow for ram upgrades. That would be most important to me with how Chrome is such a hog. The really cheap one's specs are too low for me. I want an Intel Processor and at least 4GB's of RAM. The only Chromebook's that would interest me are too damn expensive for the limited functionality such as the Chromebook Pixel.

R11 has intel processor and 4gb ram option but 16gb. IT's the version I currently own. I think its around $250 USD. Here's a video from the verge that sold me on it: https://youtu.be/Azzmbm17u-A

reKon

Banned
Better version that the Asus Chromebook Flip. I like this.

Just need to detachable 2 in 1 devices to come so we can get a spiritual successor to the Pixel C.

Think of them as Ultrabook with lower storage.

I won't buy it though. Its size and price are too close to an used 12" Macbook. I can also get a 12" Xiaomi Ultrabook for about 600.

Chris from techtablets.com reported that the Xiaomi gets shit battery life from his testing.

jadedm17

Better hardware at the same/lesser price point (which usually means better battery life, better performance, better mouse/keyboard, etc). Don't have to install Windows updates. Don't need anti-virus. Virtually idiot-proof. Boots almost instantaneously.

Nailed it.

Technology is kryptonite to my mom - shes had more phones this year so far than I have in five and returned her router and laptop within a week to Bestbuy for reasons (?) - so Chromebooks are ideal for these reasons.

Trying to keep her tech stuff (tvs, wireless, cellphone, laptop, etc.) working properly is like using my fingers to plug holes in a leaky roof; No matter what I do another hole is around the corner.

What programs are you going to run on your sub $300 Windows laptop that you can't run on a Chromebook? Full Excel and Powerpoint? A sub $300-Windows laptop can't run many Windows programs. You're not going to be playing any games on that laptop, for example, or editing videos.

I could do video editing just fine on a 4GB, $300 laptop six years ago actually. Never played a game though, would probably not run well, but do PC games run well on similarly-priced Chromebooks? How about a $500 Chromebook like this one, that still only has 4GB of RAM, just like most sub-$300 Windows laptops?

As for programs that wouldn't work, there should be plenty, like printer software, Final Draft or whatever software that only has Windows and Mac versions. The program I use for work only has a Windows version, not even a Mac. On a Mac, at least you can run Windows though.

Having to worry that something you need is not supported by your computer makes paying twice the money not really attractive to me. I don't have a desktop, so if something doesn't work, I'd be screwed.

If there was ever a way to run Steam on a Chromebook (even if it was just the games compatible with Linux), I'd get one. I like playing lightweight Steam games on my laptop too much.

You can't run WINE on a Chromebook, can you?

my acer r11 chromebook supports android apps but of course not all android apps are compatible with the chromebook. Also I'm not running developer mode. New Chromebooks have the update to run android apps

The prices are really cheap generally in the $300-400 price range. You won't get as much functionality as a windows laptop, but I'd be very surprised if I seen a product in similar price range that works as fast as chromebooks do, since all it literally runs is chrome.

Quoting again:

Perfect device for basic computing. I bought it literally to write essays. Also lasts 8 hours+. I think max is like 12 hours which is nutty. Extremely light also

R11 has intel processor and 4gb ram option but 16gb. IT's the version I currently own. I think its around $250 USD. Here's a video from the verge that sold me on it: https://youtu.be/Azzmbm17u-A

See, this is what I'm talking about. That R11 comes very close, but it does not have upgradeable RAM. Very close though.

This looks nice. Perfectly happy with my flip for now but chromebooks seem to be advancing nicely.

Its a shame you always see so many people act as if chromebooks are pointless. They are fantasic for so many people.

Cheap
Loads and runs fast
Super simple to deal with
Great battery life.

They aren't really work horses like windows pcs are but they aren't meant to be.

I have a pc for gaming. I have a powerfull laptop loaded with all adobes cc software that i never use.

I got my chromebook flip to replace my nexus tablet. Heres what i use it for.

Browsing the web.
Watching youtube
Watching Netflix / Prime
Watching giant bomb premium videos (download them)
Using google docs
Editing photos with polar (very similar to lightroom)
Playing games from play store (just finished deys ex go, ran well)

It does pretty much everything i need it to do and is so portable i just throw it in my work bag for note taking and lunchtime tv watching. On the rare occasion i need to do something more i have my laptop for that but its basically never at this point (less than once a year). The addition of the play store has really amped up there usability and potential.

They aren't for everyone but most people out there would prob be better off with one of these over a windows pc / mac.

Better version that the Asus Chromebook Flip. I like this.

Just need to detachable 2 in 1 devices to come so we can get a spiritual successor to the Pixel C.

I have a whole bunch of detachable tablets and the Asus Flip. The flip form factor is definitely superior.

Chris from techtablets.com reported that the Xiaomi gets shit battery life from his testing.

All the Windows 10-12 inch tablet/laptops I own have shit battery life. If I want to run Photoshop that's something I have to deal with. Or I pay extra money to get a slowish 12" Macbook.

27234141806_10c520f6dc_b.jpg

xkramz

IPhones are blowing up too...just saying.

How good is Chrome OS these days? I've been looking for a new laptop and this is very pretty.

Once you understand the limitations I think it blows any other OS out of the water. This forum loves to shit on Chrome OS but it is fast, stable, and does literally everything I need.

mdphilli

If there was ever a way to run Steam on a Chromebook (even if it was just the games compatible with Linux), I'd get one. I like playing lightweight Steam games on my laptop too much.

You can't run WINE on a Chromebook, can you?

Look into Crouton. Process to set it up is pretty easy with a good walkthrough. I can't speak for the performance on all Chromebooks, but for basic games and streaming, the Pixel runs them fantastic. I would imagine "mid-tier" Chromebooks would, too.

reKon

Banned
I'll wait a month on this one, as I'm not sure I trust that I won't have a firework display on my lap.

these post are getting tired. Do people not have an understanding on how many millions of consumer devices that Samsung have actually manufactured over the years?

FZZ

Banned
I'll wait a month on this one, as I'm not sure I trust that I won't have a firework display on my lap.

these post are getting tired. Do people not have an understanding on how many millions of consumer devices that Samsung have actually manufactured over the years?

I mean I'd buy one in an instant this Chromebook looks really good

But yeah I'm gonna wait it out as well. I'll use my C720 a little longer even though I've had it for 2+ years now

Nice, my sister just bought the old one for school. Maybe I'll get her this one when she's a senior. Probably even a better version by then

Alchemy

Dang, if the stylus is good thats a great fucking machine for art. Too bad I already jumped on the iPad Pro bandwagon but thats pretty cool.

reKon

Banned
which slim and portable notebook with a nice screen (1080p+) and 10 hours battery life can you recommend for $499 or less?

Let's wait and see if someone will answer this. The drive posts from people who don't understand Chromebooks are lame.

This seems nice. Assuming it doesn't have any major malfunctions, I will be purchasing this. I've been thinking about getting a Chromebook to replace my tablet.

which slim and portable notebook with a nice screen (1080p+) and 10 hours battery life can you recommend for $499 or less?

Not sure, maybe none. Obviously there aren't just cons to premium Chromebooks - they're saving money in one place that they can invest in another - but I don't think those features are worth what you're giving up compared with a similarly-priced or cheaper laptop and at such a high price. $500 is too high, in my opinion, for a side laptop, and it doesn't have the features to be the only laptop somebody would own. It's just stuck between two common types of purchases.

Personally, having a 10-hour battery would be nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for a 1080p+ screen. Someone picky enough to feel like they need a 1080p+ screen shouldn't be watching movies on a 12.3-inch screen in the first place. No filmmaker wants you to experience their film on such a small screen, so this is one of the least important considerations when I shop for a laptop.

Not sure, maybe none. Obviously there aren't just cons to premium Chromebooks - they're saving money in one place that they can invest in another - but I don't think those features are worth what you're giving up compared with a similarly-priced or cheaper laptop and at such a high price. $500 is too high, in my opinion, for a side laptop, and it doesn't have the features to be the only laptop somebody would own. It's just stuck between two common types of purchases.

Personally, having a 10-hour battery would be nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for a 1080p+ screen. Someone picky enough to feel like they need a 1080p+ screen shouldn't be watching movies on a 12.3-inch screen in the first place. No filmmaker wants you to experience their film on such a small screen, so this is one of the least important considerations when I shop for a laptop.

I can't speak for others but I look at Chromebooks as being a more versatile option compared to tablets rather than comparing them to traditional Laptops. Website cruising, video streaming, ebook reading, and perhaps some minor text writing/note taking. And throw Google Play apps in the mix and it's a pretty good deal imo. Especially when tablets are either super cheap or super expensive right now.

Anyhow, I'll be keeping an eye out for this Chrome book to see how it reviews. Looks promising though.

I need a browsing machine, nothing more nothing less. Maybe a bit of word processing. I'm coming from a macbook pro with the retina screen and anything below 1080p is just garbage in my eyes for 12 inch and up.

I'm not watching movies on it, but lower resolution is bad for text. I hate charging stuff. I could just buy a $1300+ notebook that has a nice screen and battery life but why if i don't need the power? Everything else has either bad resolution, heavy and clunky or costs at least twice as much.

daebo

Kind of an old topic, but there rumors that it would be released today. I've done some googling to see if it has... Nothing. Anybody hear of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom