• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
KIy9CUM.jpg

Yup, that was my guess too after today's news.

I don't think I've cried this much in years. What the fuck. I wouldn't have ever expected this out of myself.

He just did so much.

I wish the gaming world the best.

Croll

Neo Member
Damn. Iwata seemed to have so much personally invested in Nintendo, always apologizing when he didn't have to like in the case of the 3ds price drop/ambassador program and the poor E3 reception. I don't know, maybe that's seen as weakness on the business side of things, but I really feel like he gave his all to fans. In the press conferences I remember of him, he struck me as genuinely enthusiastic and very sincere. Truly a loss for the world of gaming. RIP.

mdubs

Banned
I wonder how many people on this forum and in the industry in general became gamers because of games Iwata had a hand in, what an amazing legacy

Tuck

Seeing the outpouring of support from so many people is such a wonderful thing. He really had a terrific impact on gaming. Still can't imagine a Nintendo without him.

The Lamp

I audibly gasped and said "oh my god." I just read this news around friends. They were concerned about me but I realized explaining that a company CEO just died would just result in blank stares and an inability to empathize. This man wasn't just a company CEO to me, he contributed to my childhood. I want to go home and grieve. I don't feel like laughing with my friends anymore. And nobody understands except my fellow GAFers. This man was special.

I'll miss the man. Rest in peace, good sir. Thanks for all the wonderful games you helped out on. ;_;7

Could someone please put a ribbon on my avatar?

Nintendo President Iwata has passed away. He was my boss at my last company, and even changing positions and locations he was the person who most understood me. As a hard worker and a virtuous person, he always quickly derived balanced summaries and proposals. I thought that he was the best possible leader. I pray for his happiness in the next world.

Sakurai's response.

Can't stop crying.

Sojiro

A great loss in the industry indeed. This totally came out of nowhere, I didn't think he was having any issues since the surgery, he was hiding it really well. It hurts all the more because of how personal he seemed to be with Nintendo fans. You will be greatly missed Iwata :(. I agree with what some have said, that it really hits you in the gut that one of the last things he said was an indirect "sorry" to fans for not living up to expectations at the last E3. Also throwing in my vote for that Neogaf Directly banner.

Meesh

I can't even imagine what Nintendo will do without him at this point, their direction... I'm lost and I'm just a simple gamer...

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

This needs to be quoted.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
He made Kirby and Earthbound, and with HAL he helped with the foundation to the smash bros series, that alone made him one of the great industry men.

I admired and respected him, he was a big reason why after Sega left the console space that I become a Nintendo person. RIP, he was an amazing guy :(

I need to drink now, this is too sad.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but how badass is this:

Iwata: Of course, the company wouldn’t run if I didn’t do my managerial tasks during the day, so I did them. But I didn’t quit writing code.

Kawakami: Ah, so, what was you’re last job as an engineer, then?

Iwata: Aaah, I wonder if it’s alright to admit this? Well, I guess the proverbial statute of limitations is up, so I’ll tell you, but my actual last work on programming happened when I was working as the General Manager of Corporate Planning at Nintendo. Something happened and the Gamecube version of Super Smash Brothers didn’t look like it was going to make its release date so I sort of did a code review for it (Wry Laugh).

All: (Laugh Loudly)

Kawakami: No matter how you look at it, that’s not the job of the General Manager of Corporate Planning, is it? (Laughs)

Iwata: Yes, it isn’t really, is it (wry laugh). At the time, I went to HAL Labs in Yamanashi and was the acting head of debugging. So, I did the code review, fixed some bugs, read the code and fixed more bugs, read the long bug report from Nintendo, figured out where the problem was and got people to fix those…all in all I spent about three weeks like that. And, because of that, the game made it out on time.
http://nintendoeverything.com/iwata...days-helped-get-smash-bros-melee-out-on-time/

The real MVP.

Kadin

Were there official Mii's of Iwata on Wii/U/3DS? I don't seem to see any on my machines but I know I've missed out on that stuff before.

zeioIIDX

I still remember the moment during E3 2005 when Iwata was up on stage talking about the successor to the GameCube and he said, "...And now you say you want a revolution? Well...we've got one!". The audience went wild when he pulled out the Nintendo Revolution (Wii) and raised it above triumphantly! He was right though...the Nintendo Wii really was a revolutionary console.

Nintendo Revolution/Wii reveal @ E3 2005

I wonder how many people on this forum and in the industry in general became gamers because of games Iwata had a hand in, what an amazing legacy

A gamer from the late '90s and early 2000s here...Nintendo was at the forefront of many games for my generation - Pokemon to Zelda to Pikmin....a huge inspiration to many of us Millennials for sure!

I forgot how much Iwata did for the Pokemon franchise

Ishihara: I remember thinking that there just weren't that many people out there who would be able to read the entire Game Boy source code, which was by no means written in a highly-refined programming language, and grasp how everything connected with everything else. So Iwata-san, you analyzed the whole thing and reworked the code, decided on the way to localize Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green, got the battle system running on N64... I was surprised that you managed all of that...

Iwata: Well at that time, I felt that for the whole team at Nintendo, the biggest priority was not to do anything that would adversely influence the development of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver. So I very naturally slotted in on the development side for Pokémon.

Morimoto: What's more, there were the tools for compressing the Pokémon graphic code...

Iwata: Ah yes, the compression tools.

Morimoto: You were kind enough to create those tools.

He really was an amazing person

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom