• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Anybody have a link to /v/?? Never been there and am curious to read that thread about E3 2016. I honestly wouldn't put it past Iwata with his last breath to make a video. I think he'll be more loved and remembered than Yamauchi was. I hope in Japan there's a Nintendo hall of game with statues of Iwata, Yamauchi, Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc on the company's history.
Just google 4chan /v/. It's not hard too find.

Kadin

Anybody have a link to /v/?? Never been there and am curious to read that thread about E3 2016. I honestly wouldn't put it past Iwata with his last breath to make a video. I think he'll be more loved and remembered than Yamauchi was. I hope in Japan there's a Nintendo hall of game with statues of Iwata, Yamauchi, Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc on the company's history.
Here ya go.

I assume linking it is okay. If not, yeah torch me up but I'll still be crying.

Blader

It's really sad to see a man with such a strong legacy go and I hate to think the failure of the Wii U and the shareholder pressure may have contributed to his ailing health.
What makes it even more sad is that he made some surprising and bold moves in the last years with the new PR approach (Nintedo Direct/Treehouse Live) and partnership with DeNa.

It's really crushing to think about if the stress of shareholders or negative response to something like Nintendo's E3 could have contributed to his illness' return, or if the last thoughts he had were not of doing good enough for his company and fans.

NeOak

Here is the post i took the screenshot of

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/302350417#p302355514

I hope the next president is also a gamer, and not just some corporate figurehead. We need another president like Iwata. Someone who loves and understands games.

Reminds me a lot of Steve Jobs and how his health deteriorated

gaa5S6s.jpg

NeOak

Someone on /v/ wrote

Code:
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECqpc6Ses4s
with this music. Don't mute the first video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDpj-HRQu4

Damn it

This is a very sad day.

Despite being very critical (to the point of trolling) his management style and business decisions I have an immense amount of respect for him for leading Nintendo through troubled times to a new Renaissance with the DS and Wii and introducing mass market glassless 3D . He kept Nintendo relevant in a time when the world was becoming more cynical with gamers opting to gun down other players instead of exploring fantastical worlds with imaginative characters. Iwata provided the world with compelling alternatives and for that I'll always be grateful.

Rest In Peace Sir

atbigelow

Iwata was always an inspiration to me. One of the guys in the trenches. Programming was his trade and outlet, like it is mine.

Legitimately overwhelmed right now.

ExVicis

I feel like I should do something happier than dwell on this, I really feel like I should just play some Kirby and have fond memories of Iwata. Need to remember him for his impact and the games he help give us and not for his death.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seeing that E3 2016 post...I was thinking before they should do an E3 2016 just because.

QaaQer

I just... and this will sound selfish here, but bear with me...

I just wish we'd known how serious it was before the end. I know that I was clueless, I think most were. If we had known even a week ago what state he was in, the outpouring of love and good wishes from all around the world would have been overwhelming. I would have liked him to have seen that. For someone who didn't have kids to be with him there at the end, I think that would have meant something. I'm sure he knew he was beloved, but even just for our sake I wish we could have sent those messages. I really do...

I understnd what you are saying, but I believe that dying in private, with family and friends is what he wanted.

Voke

Banned
It's just so sudden. I always suspected something was serious because he missed a couple e3s. He was only 55, way too soon to face death. RIP

It's been a few hours now since I first heard and I am still stunned. We all feared his health was still poor but it still feels so sudden.

Just reading everyone's thoughts even though it makes me sad. I just can't seem to focus on anything else. I can't imagine Nintendo without Iwata.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Someone on /v/ wrote

Code:
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECqpc6Ses4s
with this music. Don't mute the first video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDpj-HRQu4

Damn it

Okay, that made it look like a closing scene to his biopic.

Kadin

I feel like I should do something happier than dwell on this, I really feel like I should just play some Kirby and have fond memories of Iwata. Need to remember him for his impact and the games he help give us and not for his death.
I've tried to step away numerous times but I need to read and post about this with all my fell GAFers. Have to get through this kind of stuff together - I'm not strong enough to think about it while trying to do other stuff.

Revenile

I would like to request a ribbon too, please.

I became a true Nintendo fan right before Iwata became President, so throughout my gaming life as a Nintendo fan, he's been there. This hurts a lot to know that such an important figure to an industry that needs people like him is gone.

LOCK

Just saw the news and I'm bawling. This is just so sad and heart busting, I'm going to go crawl in bed and cry.

RIP Iwata.

Horrible news to wake up to. RIP Sir :( Thank you for everything. My earliest memory for a game he worked on is playing tons of Balloon Fight.

OuterLimits

Just saw this when checking the news online. This is so depressing. My thoughts go out to his family and all his coworkers. The industry and the world lost a great person. RIP.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, if somebody makes artwork with him meeting Robin Williams, I'm gonna cry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom