• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

I'd like to think people might use that point you've made as a reason to treat people they don't know less like a punchline and more like a person. That stranger you're badmouthing could be in the middle of some hard times, or even dead for that matter.

yeah

I mean, I moaned about the E3 direct and called it crap. But now looking back on it, the entire show really works as a sweet farewell to Iwata - and it's humbling how none of us realised it at the time.

horuhe

Photo from Iwata's graduation.

CKAZdHPWwAEoD4b.jpg:large

I'd like to think people might use that point you've made as a reason to treat people they don't know less like a punchline and more like a person. That stranger you're badmouthing could be in the middle of some hard times, or even dead for that matter.
Whether you know the person or not, whether the person can read you or not, think twice before attacking someone. Words always have an impact.

Chindogg

yeah

I mean, I moaned about the E3 direct and called it crap. But now looking back on it, the entire show really works as a sweet farewell to Iwata - and it's humbling how none of us realised it at the time.

It's really sad to think of all the times Reggie mentioned that Nintendo's transforming in reference to Iwata's health :(

Yeah agreed. Lots of things people don't think about and we're all guilty of it.

El Odio

Banned
Last night I was playing Smash online and I encountered a guy who's name was "For Iwata."

When the match started, I just ducked and stayed still. He ran at me at first, but stopped before attacking and ducked as well. We just sat there ducking, for a good 20 seconds or so. I then tried to "punch" his name above his head. You know, to try and show him why I was doing this. I accidentally hit him. I tried again, and accidentally hit him again.

Instead of fighting back, he footstooled me. I footstooled him. For the next two an a half minutes or so, we proceeded to "fight" with only footstools, in possibly the most goofy and joyful time I've had with Smash Wii U since launch, before finally going to the ends of the stage, taunting, and fighting for real. It was like I could feel him laughing just as hard as I was from wherever in the world he was.

I think he got it. Rest in Peace Mr. Iwata, thanks for all the fun.
That's awesome man. Real sweet. :)

Jintor

actually shit a typhoon is predicted to hit tomorrow, totally forgot the funeral was tomorrow... not sure if it'll ramp up to Kyoto or not...

You say this but it won't stop a number of people in this very thread even, from badmouthing other figures in the industry. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, not even in Iwata's case, as great as the man was.

It's not as if people were so malicious as to wish death upon him or anything. Criticisms of his decisions over the past few years, no matter how intense they are, are perfectly valid and acceptable if those are what people believe.

We should all still respect the man, though. As he did more good than he did wrong and he'll be missed a fuck tonne. I'm still in shock.

Velcro Fly

yeah a quick check of weather.com says that Kyoto is one of the places in danger from the typhoon

going to try my best and have fun with some video games today to remember Iwata.

Revisiting many of Iwata's archives of stuff, like Directs & Iwata Ask, surprising this is the one which really got me :

lzkUqWW.jpg

There's many facets of Iwata that speaks very closely to the heart of the fans and the business in what he do, but somehow his unbridled praise and acknowledgement of another person's talent, ability and faith to deliver really resonates with me.

zigg

I've thought about this quite a bit, because we've seen a handful of important people pass on in the industry in the past several years, and none of them made me sad like Iwata's did.

I think it's really about how he let us all get to know him so well. Speeches, Iwata Asks, the works. We connected with him, even if it was only one way.

jts

...hate me...
That Final Bosman video nails it.

People dismissing Iwata as just a corporate CEO don't know it half.

He was a game developer made into CEO. A brilliant programmer.

And a interview host.

A presenter.

A comedian to an extent.

On top of that he was possibly the most humble person in this industry. Or certainly up there. He was made fun of for being too humble, always apologizing for the smallest of things that modern marketing would teach you to just not mention.

It's a terrible loss because his words, his shows, his antics, his decisions brightened the lives of many, certainly mine. And now he's no more.

But we'll always have his legacy.

NinjaBoiX

Anyway, it's a real shame he's passed, he was a massive and influential figure and seemed to be well liked. Didn't mean to derail.

RIP

Oh well, guys, Iwata stood for love and happiness as well, it's Nintendo's motto to make fun games after all. So let's just consider the universal message of love, all those positive messages and gestures towards Iwata, remembering his legacy etc. Love!

Yagharek

If people want to honour his memory, make a donation to a cancer care/support charity and help someone out who might be in the situation Iwata was in.

There's no shortage of people suffering from horrible illnesses, and the best way to honour the victims who you love/respect/admire is to try to stop it happening to another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom