• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live ratings at a 22 year high. Thanks, Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Donald Trump has referred to himself as a ratings machine, and judging from the recent viewership of “Saturday Night Live,” he’s right.

Alec Baldwin’s searing send-up of the controversial president has helped lift “SNL” ratings to a 22-year high, according to Nielsen numbers.

Trump’s campaign and the first few weeks of his administration have provided ample material for NBC’s legendary live comedy show, currently in its 42nd season. Viewers are tuning in in droves.

Through late January, “SNL” was averaging 10.6 million viewers per episode — including a seven-day window after the show airs — this season, according to Nielsen metrics, up 22 percent from the comparable period last year.

Some of this is to be expected. “SNL” ratings typically rise during election years. (They jumped in 2008, too, partly driven by Tina Fey’s portrayal of Sarah Palin.) But the last time the show was doing better was in the early 1990s, when Dana Carvey’s portrayal of then-President George H.W. Bush and Phil Hartman’s McDonald’s-chomping Bill Clinton helped push ratings to almost 13 million viewers for the 1992-93 season. “SNL” ratings continued topped 10.6 million until the 1994-95 season.

More at Vice

Alec Baldwin and Melissa McCarthy have been killing it in their roles. Kate McKinnon wasn't bad as Hillary, but not great either.

It does help that they've got bigger names in these parts too, I think.

Xe4

Banned
Last I saw SNL during Obama's admin, it was middling. Before that, the most recent high was 2008's election. Good on them for getting views though.

Kaladin

"but no one wants to see an entire season of making fun of Trump! It's old news!"

South Park has good material from this, it's a shame.

You could do a whole series based on an executive order banning travel from South Park to the rest of the US and have it result in building a dome around the town. Fuck walls, go with a dome and get bonus Under The Dome parody points.

Nerrel

The best thing about this is that Trump is exactly the kind of person that cares about ratings like this. Somebody tweet this to him ASAP. "SNL is rigged, paid viewers, SAD!"

22 year high? Fuck that is awesome. The Spicer send-up goes to show that tuning in past the cold open will pay dividends. Very smart of them to have that as a surprise. I hope we see more surprises like that (cue Rosie.)

The best thing about this is that Trump is exactly the kind of person that cares about ratings like this. Somebody tweet this to him ASAP. "SNL is rigged, paid viewers, SAD!"

Absolutely! And the fact that it's at his expense means he won't allow himself to take credit for it. haha

- J - D -

They should thank Emperor-child Trump for lifting the burden from Kate McKinnen, who carried the show on her shoulders for years.

Dishwalla

Banned
trumponomics-bug.gif

Great graphic.

Fhtagn

it helps that the show is noticeably funnier in general than in recent memory.

At least, to my taste. I've watched more full episodes of SNL in the past year than in the previous 5.

I've said it before: Trump was the best thing to happen for left-wing comedians since W.

I disagree. It's hard to satirise something that is unfathomably ridiculous to begin with, and many comedians have said as much.

Watching Colbert and SNL has been satisfying but I don't find myself laughing out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom