• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia soccer team doesn't line up for London terror minute of silence

Kurtofan

you can't stand around in one to pay hommage to someone who died because it didn't "exist" back in the middle ages or because "disbelievers" might have came up with the idea. I'm sorry but this is everything wrong with fundamentalist thinking.

What about computers and cars? That's where it gets me. I'm sure the Saudi were ok taking a plane to the game, but standing around as a gesture of respect is suddenly too much?

^ This post is dumber than a Trump tweet.

sorry if you meant mine, I was just saying it seems hypocritical from hardliners.

Is this true? Can any Muslims confirm? This would have never occurred to me.

We can take moments of silence, there's nothing against it. Saudis are just Wahhabist cunts who most likely didn't take it the moment of silence because the victims were non-Muslim.

Cake Boss

Banned
Google "minute of silence King Abdullah".

They do minutes of silence when it's people they care about.

You mean like how western countries seem to do the same when their own countries and/or when white people get attacked? No moment of silence, support hashtags, monuments lighting up or ceremonies from the west when a bunch of brown people get killed in middle east or Africa by terrorist attacks as well.

Also, it sucks the Saudis didn't at least attempt to honor those that were attacked, inexcusable shits.

MIMIC

Banned
We can take moments of silence, there's nothing against it. Saudis are just Wahhabist cunts who most likely didn't take it the moment of silence because the victims were non-Muslim.

Good enough for me!

Everyone should at least be showing each other respect.

To be fair, the hooligans at most European stadiums don't exactly welcome the Saudi teams (or any other teams of non-Caucasian descent) with kindness and warmth.

Nobody should be lecturing anyone on proper respect.

To be fair, the hooligans at most European stadiums don't exactly welcome the Saudi teams (or any other teams of non-Caucasian descent) with kindness and warmth.

this is the most vague whataboutism post

Many club teams and national teams are racially diverse, including England's national team

Good enough for me!

Everyone should at least be showing each other respect.

I agree, though to be completely fair. I imagine there's societal pressure back home preventing some of the members who wanted to partake in the moment of silence from doing so.

Pointless whataboutism.4

ASIS

This is neither about religion noris it about customs or tradition.

It's very strange, extremely so.

EDIT: for instance, this was in tribute for the France attacks back in 2015.

05648d9906ac31.jpg

i want to know this too. what possible, insensitive-as-fuck-no-matter-what excuse could they possibly have to not comply with a minute of silence
I mean if you want one, a proper excuse, while still insensitive, would have been not participating in it unless it also is in honour of the victims of Kabul and other non western cities hit by terrorist attacks these past couple weeks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is a cultural difference. Minute silences aren't observed in Saudi Arabia, nor is it customary in Islam. Hence the reason why they didn't agree to it. Most of the players did, however, stand still and observe it without lining up.

If the players were directly told not to do it, then this is probably the result of that.

No, you're just completely ignorant. As usual.

https://islamqa.info/en/120181

Imagine how the world would be if people lacked the basic decency to learn, observe, and adhere to reasonable customs of host countries they are visiting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can we get a change on the extremely misleading topic title at least ?

"Saudi Arabia" did not refuse a minute of silence, their football team's players didn't line up. Those 2 are completely different things.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surprised, Saudia Arabia is not a nice country.

How are we not boycotting the saudi government already?

Because they have oil and no country is willing to risk access to that so they just give a stern "Tut tut," and try to demonize someone else when they know full well that if they cut off the money flow then ISIS will die out.

just want to say that the minuet of silence is forbidden in Islam, because its considered as Honoring the Dead which is forbidden. maybe that's the reason.

Bullshit, I am ex-Muslim and none of the Muslim kids ever objected to the minute silent that was held for 9/11 or remembrance day.

Is this true? Can any Muslims confirm? This would have never occurred to me.

No it's nonsense.

I mean if you want one, a proper excuse, while still insensitive, would have been not participating in it unless it also is in honour of the victims of Kabul and other non western cities hit by terrorist attacks these past couple weeks.
Victims in the East should definitely be honored just as much as the west, but not honoring the west isn't the way to protest. ALL innocent life is precious, wherever in the world.

I dunno if I would trust everything coming from that source. looking back at one of Rusty's posts, they apparently can come off as extremist

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169244813&postcount=289

Dopus

Banned
Victims in the East should definitely be honored just as much as the west, but not honoring the west isn't the way to protest. ALL innocent life is precious, wherever in the world.

I dunno if I would trust everything coming from that source. looking back at one of Rusty's posts, they apparently can come off as extremist

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169244813&postcount=289

The actual post it does come across hardline. I'm not Muslim, but there are many others claiming that it is a cultural difference - not just the answer to that question itself.

Jumeira

Banned
just want to say that the minuet of silence is forbidden in Islam, because its considered as Honoring the Dead which is forbidden. maybe that's the reason.

This is wrong, dont spread lies please. Prayers are offered all the time to those that have passed, mosques often mention honorable people during prayers offering thier blessing as reward to those passed, communities gather to read the Quran in an effort to bless someone important, its an intrinsic part of the faith.

Kurtofan

The actual post it does come across hardline. I'm not Muslim, but there are many others claiming that it is a cultural difference - not just the answer to that question itself.

the link you posted comes accross as very hardline, "standing up for a minute of silence" being reprehensible? come on.

Damn. I actually know a decent Saudi that comes to study and lives in the US. But damn if Saudi's reputation doesn't cross my mind.

Sanjay

All these excuses and justification for what? Fucking Saudi Arabia. Why?

Your not defending religion here guys. Stop confusing the two.

And it's the governing bodys of the nations that decide all this, they were informed. They just didn't want to.

I don't even blame the players, they can't go agaisnt their country, most likely afraid, I would would be. The threads title is not misleading but correct in my books.

DavidDesu

The article I read earlier (believe in the Independent) stated that the team held a minutes silence for something else not that long ago. The fans were not silent either.

Fuck them.

It's fucking embarrassing the UK is about to reelect May and her vile Tory Saudi arse lickers. What a shit population we have (thanks over 50's).

Scottish independence so we don't need to be ruled by morally bankrupt cunts anymore.

even if it is a cultural difference it is still coming down to them not respecting a different culture.

I was going to post something long and thoughtful. But why bother. I'm sick and tired of people using their "beliefs" as excuses for being cunts, who and wherever they are.

diabl0

Even at work we had a minute silence after the Manchester bombing, and i and a few work colleagues are muslims had no issues joining in. I did it younger during when 911 happened, amongst other events.

Saudi Arabia are just stupid. Their laws are hypocritical to Prophets teachings, but it is beginning to show how ludicrous some disrespectful and stupid people have become. We even have few muslim members in the UK debating whether we should vote for "islamic" reasons. Its not Islam, its cultural stupidity. Also, ppl relying on IslamQA for answers? LOL a pro wahabbi site.

I seriously hate Saudi Arabia, is there anybody who isn't Saudi Arabia who actually likes Saudi Arabia? Just about every Muslim i know hates Saudi Arabia. I guess the ultra conservative salafi/wahabis who take their money like them?

I seriously hate Saudi Arabia, is there anybody who isn't Saudi Arabia who actually likes Saudi Arabia? Just about every Muslim i know hates Saudi Arabia. I guess the ultra conservative salafi/wahabis who take their money like them?

Hundreds of US and European politicians love them and their money.

Mimosa97

Even at work we had a minute silence after the Manchester bombing, and i and a few work colleagues are muslims had no issues joining in. I did it younger during when 911 happened, amongst other events.

Saudi Arabia are just stupid. Their laws are hypocritical to Prophets teachings, but it is beginning to show how ludicrous some disrespectful and stupid people have become. We even have few muslim members in the UK debating whether we should vote for "islamic" reasons. Its not Islam, its cultural stupidity. Also, ppl relying on IslamQA for answers? LOL a pro wahabbi site.

Don't believe the few relativists and contrarians in this thread who want to give the saudi team a pass because " cultural diffirences ". They are just cunt. Ask any muslim you know, even the deeply religious ones, they have no issues with honoring innocent victims. Saudis represent a tiny sect of Islam that spread way beyond their borders because they have money. And now you have people trying to convince people that it's okay for the saudis to insult the memories of innocent victims because it's in the quran when it's obviously bullshit. Just look at the site that was linked. An extremist site full of wahabi propaganda. Not surprising.

Anyway everyone has a defense force on GAF, even pedophiles.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

"To be fair, fans on the other side of the globe might not be super welcoming to them sometimes, so it's okay to be disrespectful towards the victims of a terror attack. Fans being dicks sometimes is totally equivalent with players not respecting people dying in a terror attack by standing in a line for a minute."

Is that what you are trying to say here?
Seriously?

Dopus

Banned
Don't believe the few relativists and contrarians in this thread who want to give the saudi team a pass because " cultural diffirences ". They are just cunt. Ask any muslim you know, even the deeply religious ones, they have no issues with honoring innocent victims. Saudis represent a tiny sect of Islam that spread way beyond their borders because they have money. And now you have people trying to convince people that it's okay for the saudis to insult the memories of innocent victims because it's in the quran when it's obviously bullshit. Just look at the site that was linked. An extremist site full of wahabi propaganda. Not surprising.

Anyway everyone has a defense force on GAF, even pedophiles.

Hold your horses. All I've stated was that this was due to cultural differences as mentioned in a couple of articles reporting on this. Is that out of the realms of possibilities? No. I linked to some shitty site when looking for an answer to try to understand some context instead of knee-jerk lambasting Saudi Arabia for the lack of respect. That's it. So don't give me that "defense force" nonsense.

Hold your horses. All I've stated was that this was due to cultural differences as mentioned in a couple of articles reporting on this. Is that out of the realms of possibilities? No. I linked to some shitty site when looking for an answer to try to understand some context instead of knee-jerk lambasting Saudi Arabia for the lack of respect. That's it. So don't give me that "defense force" nonsense.

you are always there to counter me at every post in topic related threads when it comes to Saudi Arabia criticism

Dopus

Banned
you are always there to counter me at every post in topic related threads when it comes to Saudi Arabia criticism

Give me one other example where I have defended Saudi Arabia. One. I've never done it, and I never would. You're seriously deluded.

Why would an anarcho-communist defend them? Mental.

There seems to be an awful lot of things that are forbidden.
back when I was in college, a classmate of mine died.

i reached out to either the pres or vp of the msa, and asked if we could include her in a prayer on friday. his first question to me: was she muslim?

answer was no. his response then was that he was sorry to hear about her passing but wouldn't be able to announce a collective prayer for her. i didn't tell him what i thought about that, but to put it lightly, i was not satisfied with that answer.

i then decided to take it upon myself to visit the chaplain of the msa, and what she offered was a moment/minute of silence (i don't remember which, this was 3 years ago).

now, i was not satisfied with that either but for the purpose of this thread and ultimately my point - i don't think silences for respecting the lost is forbidden.

there, that's my anecdote

Mimosa97

How do the innocent victims of the london attacks have anything to do with hooligans ? Children died for christ sake.

That's what happens when you try to defend the indefensible. You go full whataboutism.

spekkeh

Banned
Maybe they figured that Australia only asked the minute of silence to intimidate them? Yeah still gotta join in then though. Or they really thought fuck Britain. Either way looks really bad. It's now causing a bit of ruckus in the Netherlands as well, because the coaching staff is Dutch. The coach first said that they weren't briefed but the assistant (also his son in law) then said that it was unfair because the coaching staff were observing the moment of silence. A big mess.

Top Bottom