• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

So does that make like $200,000,000 that MS has wasted on unreleased games this gen? Between Fable, Scalebound, and some of the smaller projects like Phantom Dust it wouldn't surprise me.

That's in addition to how much they wasted on That TV, TV, TV initiative before launch.

reKon

Banned
that's a shame for anyone who was anticipating this. I personally think that the game wasn't looking great and I've commented before sharing detailed thoughts on why. I don't really see this as a big loss to Xbox One owners because I think there are going to be much better games in a similar genre.

I see this mainly as a loss for Microsoft because of the money they invested in the development (I'm assuming they did, right?) and a loss of time for the developers on the project after putting in all that hard work and dedication. But I'm stating the obvious at this point so w/e.

I feel like MS genuinely tried to listen to gamers and establish some fresh new titles like Quantum Break, Recore, and Sunset Overdrive

But when those games didn't do the financial return they wanted it probably became hard for the company (maybe even higher up than Phil) to continue sinking money with no return

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The only upcoming XBO exclusive I was interested in. Oh well. Why not cancel Crackdown while you're at it.

SilentRob

I'm so mad right now. God fucking damnit.

Fuck all those companies who announce their games not even a year in development with barely a working prototype. This bullshit has to stop.

Wow that is a shame. I was interested in this, even though the main character was lame.

Wonder what happened. Maybe the game will be revived in some other fashion... revived by Sony more probable.

Sounds like Platinum was doing some things they shouldn't. Taking a month off? Mental health? This is not reasonable time off. This is not using your time wisely. I blame them both. I can't speak to the MS side of things, but I'm sure they were not innocent in this.

wrowa

There's nothing legal preventing me from doing so, but I shouldn't yet. Maybe a year from now :p
Also, before this gets blown out of proportion, it's extremely minor compared to the cancellation of a huge project.

Let's just hope for the best for Platinum, clearly not easy being an independent developer of large-scale games in Japan (or anywhere really).

Why tease something if you can't talk about it.

So does that make like $200,000,000 that MS has wasted on unreleased games this gen? Between Fable, Scalebound, and some of the smaller projects like Phantom Dust it wouldn't surprise me.

Between Scalebound, Fable, that cancelled Obsidian game, Phantom Dust and Black Tusk's old new IP MS sure has been keen on the chopping block with the XB1.

Publishers can games all the time and we never hear about it. MS probably made a huge error announcing Scalebound and Phantom Dust at all TBH. Seemed like those games didnt really exist at the reveal.

I would really like a Keighley piece on what happened. Nothing about this game looked "Platinum", especially the combat which is literally the only thing Platinum is known for.

Did MS interfere to get it to be more western or did Kamiya want to step out of his norm? The game legitimately looked like a slightly evolved version of drakengard.

Anyone remember PS4 haz no gamez? Good times...

image.php

chill out with that garbage

_Ryo_

Wasn't this supposed to be their gateway (and potentially one of a very short number of) AAA Xbox One Japanese game?

Why would it be canceled?

Jumeira

Banned
Don't think MS were wrong to do this reading the reports, PG were not delivering on what they committed to, perhaps the game was far too ambitious? Phil knows and respects Kamiya, to get a game from him is a big deal, so I doubt he made this decision lightly.

Very disappointed nonetheless.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If they started the project 4 years ago, UE4 wasn't as matured as is now. It might have provoked some problems, specially Scalebound being an open world game.
It was one of the first announced triple A open world games running on UE4 too so them running into issues in that regard is definitely not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom