• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schoolgirl allegedly beaten to death live on Facebook

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Article here

TWO schoolgirls are facing murder charges after another teenager was brutally beaten to death — amid reports the killing may have been broadcast on Facebook.

Serena McKay, 19, was found dead on the Sagkeeng First Nation reserve, northeast of Winnipeg, Canada, on April 23.

Police are currently investigating whether a video of the horrific murder may have been broadcast on a vile Facebook video that reportedly remained on the site for up to four hours before being removed, The Sunreported.

Sickening footage too graphic to publish shows a bloodied teen being savagely punched and kicked as she lies helpless on the ground

The alleged applies to not only her murder, but whether it may have been streamed live on Facebook. But seriously, if I'm that girls father, I'm going to jail not long after.

Lock if old. Searched and couldn't find.

Appalling. This type of stuff is always bewildering.

As an aside, this thread may get locked since its news that has no other purpose than to horrify others.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Appalling. This type of stuff is always bewildering.

As an aside, this thread may get locked since its news that has no other purpose than to horrify others.

I don't frequent OT as much as I used to, is this any different to the other stories similar that get posted and not locked?

Volimar

Facebook Live seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Seems like every week there's a story about someone broadcasting a sexual assault, physical assault, murder, etc. Given that there may be thousands of people using it at once and virtually no one moderating these videos, they just seem ripe for abuse.

That said, we shouldn't lose sight of who the actual perpetrators of this crime were, and it wasn't Facebook.

Erevador

People are a cesspool. Facebook is just another platform that allows them to demonstrate it.
Sophisticated nerds create platform for "fun, geeky self-expression," and make the Utopian assumption that everyone will want to use it for exactly the purpose they imagined.

They are always wrong.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sophisticated nerds create platform for "fun, geeky self-expression," and make the Utopian assumption that everyone will want to use it for exactly the purpose they imagined.

They are always wrong.

You kinda need to assume the worst and work back.

Interestingly enough, Live streaming should theoretically make these crimes easier to solve no?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
What's wrong with people? Seriously there needs to be a reset button for the planet.

If you reset human civilisation this would happen again. Humans act like this.

If you removed humans, and another species came to assume our position, they would probably commit the same acts as we have.

Mathieran

Banned
Ugh. So fucked up.

Facebook Live also needs to go.

It's not all bad. People can use it while the cops are up to shit, and it will get broadcast and put immediately on the internet so the cops can't confiscate it.

People suck, they probably would have killed her anyway.

Why upload your snuff videos to shady shock video sites when you got Facebook live to demonstrate your murderous psychopathic tendencies?

I bet Mexican cartels might start uploading their kills on Facebook live soon, if they already don't.

I don't frequent OT as much as I used to, is this any different to the other stories similar that get posted and not locked?

I'm not sure, I don't always click on threads that seem intense. Most of the time you can tell by what kind of discussion will stem from the topic. If most responses are "this is horrifying" or "disgusting", it doesn't really make for a productive thread.

There used to be a time where there would be multiple threads like these on the first page and people began to complain since they would get depressed from this sort of news.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not sure, I don't always click on threads that seem intense. Most of the time you can tell by what kind of discussion will stem from the topic. If most responses are "this is horrifying" or "disgusting", it doesn't really make for a productive thread.

I guess the fact that they have an opportunity to broadcast their acts, thereby possibly encouraging them, makes for potential decent discussion.

Dabanton

Saw some of the video earlier this week. Wished I didn't. But the savagery these girls were displaying was scary as hell.

Ugh. So fucked up.

Why? Millions of other people use it quite normally every day. A psychotic few use it to display their own disgusting tendencies.

Should we all be punished because they use it for evil?

I guess the fact that they have an opportunity to broadcast their acts, thereby possibly encouraging them, makes for decent discussion.
Yeah, thats a good point to discuss and may be worth putting in the OP for more stimulating discussion. I'm not sure if most people will come to that conclusion immediately.

mas8705

Has this seriously become a trend now?! Why the hell is this a trend now!? THIS SHOULD NOT BE A TREND!!!

Damn it all! When did people get so damn stupid to actually broadcast themselves beating or even killing people while using Facebook Live?! It really does seem like facebook needs to put something up that forces people to watch a five minute video of, "How not to use Facebook Live," because clearly we are moving into a point where people really think that committing crimes while livestreaming is such a great idea apparently.

Facebook Live doesn't need to go, but hell knows that it needs to get some tweaks to it if we are talking about this same damn issue again so soon after THE LAST TIME THIS NONSENSE HAPPENED!

Derwind

The way the First Nations communities have been completely overlooked and treated in Canada is appalling.

R.I.P.

Can Fuckerberg grow a spine and shut down this whole Facebook live shit?!
Or do we have to witness another 100 horrific incidents streamed on that platform before they look at them selves in the mirror...

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Has this seriously become a trend now?! Why the hell is this a trend now!? THIS SHOULD NOT BE A TREND!!!

Damn it all! When did people get so damn stupid to actually broadcast themselves beating or even killing people while using Facebook Live?! It really does seem like facebook needs to put something up that forces people to watch a five minute video of, "How not to use Facebook Live," because clearly we are moving into a point where people really think that committing crimes while livestreaming is such a great idea apparently.

Facebook Live doesn't need to go, but hell knows that it needs to get some tweaks to it if we are talking about this same damn issue again so soon after THE LAST TIME THIS NONSENSE HAPPENED!

If anything we should surely be glad that people are so stupid that they'll commit crimes while broadcasting on a service which allows them to be so easily identified, rather than doing it out of sight.

I mean, I don't get why people are angry at Facebook. If people are going to be garbage and do murders, then they'll probably do it whether or not they're able to stream them.

And I don't think there's much in the way of tweaking that can be done to prevent murders being broadcast on Facebook Live, short of having human supervisors on each and every stream.

Facebook Live seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Seems like every week there's a story about someone broadcasting a sexual assault, physical assault, murder, etc. Given that there may be thousands of people using it at once and virtually no one moderating these videos, they just seem ripe for abuse.

That said, we shouldn't lose sight of who the actual perpetrators of this crime were, and it wasn't Facebook.

People broadcasting, timestamping, and geo-locating their crimes seems like a bonus for law enforcement.

Theft, beatings, and murders were gonna happen either way, but the ego of these assclowns makes them easier to apprehend.

Facebook is a mistake.

Disgusting. Facebook is a cesspool. RIP :(

Yo Facebook, get your fucking shit together and do something now.

Time for Facebook to shut down live video for awhile.

Can Fuckerberg grow a spine and shut down this whole Facebook live shit?!
Or do we have to witness another 100 horrific incidents streamed on that platform before they look at them selves in the mirror...

Ugh. So fucked up.

Obviously it's horrific that FB Live is being used this way. But it's also a direct source of evidence in finding and locking away these animals for good. I know it's easy to say Facebook Live is encouraging these despicable acts, but that really doesn't make any sense. The chances that a live streaming service made two normal people into murderers are zero.

To blame the service is to miss the forest for the trees here.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
People broadcasting, timestamping, and geo-locating their crimes seems like a bonus for law enforcement.

Theft, beatings, and murders were gonna happen either way, but the ego of these assclowns makes them easier to apprehend.

Bingo.

Tell that to the families and friends of victims of murder/rape with a recorded livestream of said act existing on the internet for the world to see

Get rid of fb live and they'll just upload somewhere else. Personally I don't see a difference in whether it's streamed live or recorded and uploaded afterwards.

btrboyev

Obviously it's horrific that FB Live is being used this way. But it's also a direct source of evidence in finding and locking away these animals for good. I know it's easy to say Facebook Live is encouraging these despicable acts, but that really doesn't make any sense. The chances that a live streaming service made two normal people into murderers are zero.

To blame the service is to miss the forest for the trees here.

I'm not blaming the service, I'm blaming fb for letting these videos stay up for hours after the fact. No excuse.

mas8705

If anything we should surely be glad that people are so stupid that they'll commit crimes while broadcasting on a service which allows them to be so easily identified, rather than doing it out of sight.

I mean, I don't get why people are angry at Facebook. If people are going to be garbage and do murders, then they'll probably do it whether or not they're able to stream them.

And I don't think there's much in the way of tweaking that can be done to prevent murders being broadcast on Facebook Live, short of having human supervisors on each and every stream.

You are right on one thing: When idiots film their own crimes, it is as open and shut as you can get. Still, that doesn't change the fact that this is the 3rd or 4th time this year that something like this has happened. Let's just hope that it does actually come to a close soon and that idiots will start to realize that doing shit like this basically doesn't end well for anyone, and those "15 minutes of fame" that idiots seek really end before you get to 15 seconds.

Honestly though, we know Facebook isn't to blame and there isn't really much they can do about it. I just stated the redundant remark since we know that idiots will probably ignore it without thinking (like we have seen in these examples). I don't want Facebook Live to go, but something does need to be addressed since this is starting to become as stupid as "Swatting"

Top Bottom