• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screwattack to be folded into Rooster Teeth, website closed, Youtube channel active

Tripon

Screwattack Gaming Convention (SGC) will be run by both Screwattack and Rooster Teeth people. Moves to Austin at RTX, July 1st to July 3rd. Basically folding the two conventions into one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwO9WO8JNT0

- Screwattack shows such as Sidescrollers and Death Battle to still exist under their brand.
- Both Screwattack and Rooster Teeth are owned by Fullscreen (MCN), and both are based in Texas, so they probably don't think it makes sense to continue both.
- Website is closing in early 2016.
- No idea what happens with Screwattack's subscriber system (G1's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGE_DPTWp6I

edit:

Over the course of ScrewAttack's 10 years online we've made a lot of announcements - some big, some small, some you were excited about and some you were indifferent on. I've always been honest with you guys about where ScrewAttack stands, what's on the way, why were doing things, etc so today should be no different. ScrewAttack and Rooster Teeth are officially teaming up. A lot of you saw this coming from miles away when you noticed that ScrewAttack is now on the Rooster Teeth Store... or when we made our way down to Austin recently to be a part of a Rock Band 4 live stream with the RT, Achievement Hunter and Funhaus teams... or when we started randomly showing up in RT Shorts. You guys are smart and it's not like we were trying to hide it :) Honestly, coming together makes a lot of sense and it's something that a lot of g1s have been asking for for a while now. I realize there will be a lot of questions about things so allow me to answer the three biggest below. If there are more questions, we'll also have a Q/A during today's live stream on our Twitch and YouTube Gaming channels at 4pm CT. Tune in and ask away.

WILL THIS EFFECT SCREWATTACK'S PRODUCTION OR SHOWS?

When we were acquired by Fullscreen, they did a good job of providing ScrewAttack with things that allowed us to be successful: a new office with new technology, legal resources, PR, etc. All that stuff is really important and has been great for ScrewAttack. Working with Rooster Teeth is now the other side of the coin and working with them will allow us to take the next step in our content. I've spent the last couple days in RT management meetings and have seen how they work as a company and it's very cool. One thing is certain: they like to go big with their ideas. That's VERY exciting for us at ScrewAttack because we've always had grand ideas that we've always wanted to make happen. Fullscreen, our parent company, is invested in growing Rooster Teeth, ScrewAttack, Funhaus, Achievement Hunter and the rest of the RT brands into one big, once in a generation entertainment company. That. Is. Awesome. The best part about it? You've been a HUGE part of the ride - all the way from starting ScrewAttack on my parent's kitchen counter to where it is today. You should be proud to where we've grown this together!

THE WEBSITE?
This will probably be the biggest change but, as I said before, it's one that makes sense. We'll be migrating all ScrewAttack content, user info and forums on to RoosterTeeth.com. To be clear, you will still go to ScrewAttack.com, it will just work and function like RT's current site. Think of it like the next version of ScrewAttack. Hell, most of you hate this version of the website anyways, so it may be a welcome change :)

We're hoping to have this completed by February 15th, 2016 - ScrewAttack's 10th Birthday. I thought that making the switch on that date would allow for us to put a nice bow on 10 years of ScrewAttack and allow us to look ahead on even larger goals in the next 10 years. To be 100% honest, having a physical domain has been costing ScrewAttack money for over a year and to be able to remove hosting and other costs associated with running a physical .com will allow us to put those resouces in other places. And to you Advantage Members who have supported and stuck through the good and hard times, your efforts have been noticed and we're working on an exciting reward for the transition.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/worst-secret-ever

Wow, Screwattack was one of the most important sites to me in high school in 06. Sidescrollers and their weekly Friday show was one of my favourite things that made me get into podcasts and gaming as a serious hobby that I continue today. Saw Craig at PAX South and was to shy to go say hello in the arcade room. Best of luck to them.

I really want to go listen to some old sidescrollers all day now. The salsa eating challenge is still something I can laugh at today. So many great clip of the week videos that I'm going to go rewatch.

Xyber

Have to say, this forum reeeeally don't care about Rooster Teeth at all. For a site which had a 24 hour Extra Life stream which brought in $360k (and is currently at 376k), they didn't even have a thread for that stream here.

Kinda weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

higemaru

That's a downer. I never really watched much of ScrewAttack's content but I always liked having another independent voice in gaming. It feels like most websites are part of some big conglomerate and it didn't seem like SA was. Best of luck to those affected by potential layoffs.

Dragon

Banned
Have to say, this forum reeeeally don't care about Rooster Teeth at all. For a site which had a 24 hour Extra Life stream which brought in $360k (and is currently at 376k), they didn't even have a thread for that stream here.

Kinda weird. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Never heard of them before this thread to be honest.

AHA-Lambda

tbh, I'm surprised Screwattack has lasted as long as it has, I remember watching their stuff in high school when avgn was first popular.

Tripon

Kinda weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, since you are a member, you could have made one. =P

Tregard

Soothsayer
ScrewAttack used to be my jam back when they had Maxifent Corey, Daily Destin and Nervous Nick. Sidescrollers was my first podcast. Very sad to see their site is gone, I remember getting so excited about their first rebranded website (Screwattack 2.0?).

Still consider myself a g1 :(

Only things I really remember ScrewAttack for are Angry Video Game Nerd and Stuttering Craig-narrated Top 10 lists and Video Game Vault. I guess they did and do other stuff?

Yukinari

Kinda weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stopped watching Rooster Teeth years ago so i have been out of the loop with them ever since i unsubbed. Their legacy of RedVsBlue cant carry them forever. Doesnt help that they lost some very talented members.

I stopped watching Rooster Teeth years ago so i have been out of the loop with them ever since i unsubbed. Their legacy of RedVsBlue cant carry them forever.

It's funny you say that because I am a RT fan now who has never watched an episode of Red vs Blue. It's their live stuff and podcasts that keep me watching/listening

Kinda weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like their creative content but when it comes to their views on games, they're not very... well informed. Also 'The Know' is the worst.

jediyoshi

Kinda weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RT's community seems larger and more self contained enough to the extent that you'd just follow and interact directly with it if you were interested. Something like GB and their content on the other hand is so general and spread out, Community threads here make sense.

Tripon

One of my former roommates was a huge Rooster Teeth fan. RTX has seen crazy growth too.
http://www.tubefilter.com/2015/11/12/rooster-teeth-rtx-2016-dates-screwattack-gaming-convention/
Rooster-Teeth-RTX-SGC-2016.jpg

Oh man, back in 2006-2010 i used to watch screw attacks top tens with craig and tom religiously, same with video game vault. With this and the shutting down of classic game room, it feels like the end of my middle to high school era.

Finaj

I stopped watching Rooster Teeth years ago so i have been out of the loop with them ever since i unsubbed. Their legacy of RedVsBlue cant carry them forever. Doesnt help that they lost some very talented members.

It isn't. They have a new popular show (RWBY), they're constantly putting out live action and let's play content and they have millions of subs on Youtube.

I stopped watching Rooster Teeth years ago so i have been out of the loop with them ever since i unsubbed. Their legacy of RedVsBlue cant carry them forever.

Same for me

I watched red vs blue in the beginning up until they started doing the motion capture stuff. It lost all of its charm at that point. Some of the other stuff they do is ok occasionally. I just think I have moved out of their demographic. Most of their stuff seems to be aimed at the younger YouTube audience now.

It's funny, on the mega64 podcast they just did a bit where they acted like they were bought by rooster teeth and parodied how much rooster teeth is expanding.

JMTHEFOX

Sad news. I remember going to Gametrailers to see their Video Game Vault, ScrewAttack, and Top 10 series a lot when I was younger. Awesome times.

At least the Youtube channel will still be active and Death Battle is still ongoing. Best of luck to the ScrewAttack team.

* Coming from someone who rarely watches Red vs Blue and RWBY.

The Flash

Banned
It's pretty crazy. Makes sense since they're both owned by Fullscreen and RT is the more recognizable of the two. They've expanded so fast recently. To think that a little over a decade ago they started out as a five dudes working out of a spare bedroom to where they are now. It's impressive.

These days RWBY carries them, and, judging by episodes of volume 3, they still have good creative talent.

MrT-Tar

Definitely end of an era. Back in roughly the 2007-11 period, I used to watch the likes of AVGN, Hard News, Video Game Vault, and Screwattack's Top 10s on an almost daily basic. With the exception of AVGN, I mainly stopped after going to university, but the website still holds a place in my heart.

Still waiting for them to put Legacy of the Wizard in the Video Game Vault (unless I somehow missed it).

Hope their shows keep going strong!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't. They have a new popular show (RWBY), they're constantly putting out live action and let's play content and they have millions of subs on Youtube.

Don't forget the movie.

captainpat

I was in Akihabara a few days ago and there was this giant poster covering the side of a Sofmap building. Japan is surprisingly into it, more so than I thought.

Yea, they're getting a manga soon. And the artist illustrating it is pretty well known.

Screwattack was my life back in highschool. It's forum is where i met my best friends and i've always considered myself a g1. But I gotta say as someone very close to it, it's not much of a surprise. Other then SGC screwattack been on a downhill slope for a long while. RIP

Harpuia

Before giantbomb took off, these guys were my Jam. They kinda fell off of most people's radars, including mine. Along with AVGN, these guys made up most of my early video game Internet consumption.

Rush_Khan

I used to watch Hard News everyday when Jared was still there, but then I slowly stopped visiting the website for some reason. The Death Battle pairings also seemed to get lamer and lamer.

Come to think of it, I've stopped visiting a lot of gaming websites. I blame NeoGAF.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Does GameAttack still exist? I remember thinking ScrewAttack opening their own game store was the coolest thing ever.

AND it was run by Jared from Nametags!

Dio

Banned
Before giantbomb took off, these guys were my Jam. They kinda fell off of most people's radars, including mine. Along with AVGN, these guys made up most of my early video game Internet consumption.
I didn't watch Rooster Teeth religiously but I remember the early days of Red vs Blue. I heard plenty of friends in high school talking about it and playing Halo on their transparent green original Xbox.

I think after I fell off the next time I saw them was when I started playing Halo Reach, and I went on Youtube and they had a segment where they played funny shit that happened that week in Reach replay clips which I sometimes watched together with friends. That was good times, but it only lasted for as long as Reach was popular and I played it with others.

Now they're doing god knows what and I don't think I care anymore. Most of my consumption of "youtube celebs" now is SBF, DemoD, YMS, RLM and Mega64. If Btongue made a vid more than once every year then I'd put him on the list too.

Xyber

Well, since you are a member, you could have made one. =P

Personally I don't care about them enough to go through the effort of making a thread. Heck, I barely make threads at all. :p

But they have been doing so much other stuff for a long time now, they don't really rely on RvB to keep themselves relevant.

I like their creative content but when it comes to their views on games, they're not very... well informed. Also 'The Know' is the worst.

I can agree on that they are not very well informed fairly often, but I don't watch anything of theirs to be informed either.

And just to make it clear, I'm far from a big fan of them. I started out listening to the Drunk Tank, kinda stopped for a while when it was re-named and they started bringing in a bunch of new people that I didn't like listening to. Got back to them maybe a year or so later and have been listening to that one and The Patch mainly because I enjoy listening to podcasts.

I rarely watch their videos, but I do check out their Let's Play channel on youtube every few months to see if there's something fun to watch. They did some really fun GTAV videos and I loved the 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures series.

So basically, I just thought it was weird how something big enough to have its own fairly big expo is not known by so many people in the gaming community. It's like people think they still just do RvB and nothing else so they don't even care. :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably the only person on the planet but while I liked a lot of Screwattacks video content, I probably won't ever visit Rooster Teeth ever, based only on me actively having a problem with the name of that website. I can't even explain why, but reading the name alone makes me uncomfortable to a point that I lose any interest in its contest.

I'm weird sometimes.

WOW ! that is one end of area man that sucks for the core G1's who have been there since day 1.

makes sense RT is huge and SA is great but not big enough anymore to survive.

dity

I'm actually not surprised. I've heard the way they treat content creators is pretty awful and they'd either forget about or generally have a sour attitude towards them. At this point I think they are solely survived by Hard News, Death Battle, and SGC. I never hear anything else about them, but that's probably because:

Hard News lost some nice hosts, ScrewAttack Europe was forgotten (SA attempted to screw SAE over when Guru Larry went solo with the brand due to how forgotten they were), and they seem to have no idea what to do with talents who get more popular than they are (James Rolfe, Nathan Barnett). Some cool staff members who weren't content creators but just showed up in videos just seemed to unexpectedly leave over the years too to never be heard from again.

ScrewAttack was pretty neat at one point, but really they just provided a starting point for a lot of video game oriented shows that are now more popular independantly on Youtube than they are now. Now they lost all the talent and the interest, and seemingly the profit too lol.

Top Bottom