• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars - Review Thread !

The big bangers are Zelda, BG3, and this for review scores I believe.
Yeah that's what I figured. Tomorrow is a big day - Starfield drops I am curious too see where it lands. I did not receive a review copy sadly, however I will be reviewing it within the following week anyways because i bought the game out of pocket for myself and our score will be added to OpenCritic just at a later date.

Last edited:
will this game launch at 12pm? on switch ?
Xbox Series X/S Eastern Standard Time - Midnight
Xbox One Eastern Standard Time - Midnight
Xbox Series X/S UK Time - 5 a.m.
Xbox One UK Time - 5 a.m.
PC via Steam Eastern Standard Time - Midnight
PC via Steam UK Time - 5 a.m.

Not sure about Switch, going to assume same time as other consoles.

Last edited:

TexMex

So with this game being at 95 opencritic does that mean it's one of the highest rated games of this year? Has to be in the top 5 at least yes?

Weren't as many reviews when the thread first opened, down to 89/92 now. Probably not top 5 material after they all post but it'll still be doing great.

Death Metal Rock GIF by Metal Blade Records

Sleepwalker

89/90 is still a great score for what looks like a lovely game. I will play it on PS extra but looking to get a physical version next year at some point.

I see IGNorant and the irrelevant PCGamer have decided to show their ugly faces. Unfortunate.
IGN reviews shouldn't be trusted for anything. In particular their movies, TV and game scores are so terribad depending on who is doing the review.
It's no surprise that the "7/10" is a meme around there.

Hugare

Eurogamer is the vilain of the year with their 5 stars rating system

Absolutely wrecking every MC score: TotK, BG 3, Sea of Stars ...

Next victim will be Starfield, for sure

SenkiDala

The game is playable right now on PS5 but not on Xbox. At least in France. I tried to change the region to New Zealand on Xbox but still doesn't work.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Remember this next time some weeb gets up on their cross and complains about western reviewers supposedly being biased against turn based JRPGs.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Very excited to play this game, but it has to wait a little bit for another game that has “Star” in its title

Is this on GamePass yet?
Yep. Started playing at 11pm Central time. Couldn't hardly enjoy my first hour with it because someone came in and talked my ear off while I was trying to play. I hate being an asshole so I didn't tell them to shut up or go away, but damn, I've waited a long time for this game, They finally went a way and now it's time for bed.

Oh well, better luck tomorrow, hopefully.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Looking forward to trying this but I can't help but to think back to the critical reception of The Messenger and how far divorced my thoughts were to the critical reception. /Debbie Downer
If it's any help, I tried the Sea of Stars demo on Switch and loved it. Given the pixel-y nature, I think it's perfect for Switch (or Deck, Ally etc.). I really wish there was a proper Pokemon game with this exact art style (detailed-ish 2D).

Tried it in TV mode for a few minutes and...
puke GIF

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, the Ant Bruiser enemies are completely broken. They just continually summon new clones of themselves and a simple random encounter turns into an hour long battle. Horrible RNG... I've wanted to rage quit a couple times now.

Unless I'm missing something, the Ant Bruiser enemies are completely broken. They just continually summon new clones of themselves and a simple random encounter turns into an hour long battle. Horrible RNG... I've wanted to rage quit a couple times now.
You just kill them first. I never had issues lol. Use magic, they're more resistant to melee. Valere's Moonrang does a quick job of them

Last edited:

tmlDan

gonna play it today, anyone know how long it is? I hear 25-30 hours.....i dunno if thats enough time to finish before starfield lol

Freeman76

Now how do I go about getting banned from re...
Thats easy, just speak about anything that isnt related to being a weak purple haired trans supporter, and you're outta there.

On topic, played a few hours of this but didnt really feel its anything special, its nice and cosy and all but doesnt feel like anything I havent played before, and the first section where you train etc was pretty fucking boring if i'm honest. Will keep going as i'm sure it will get better.

Majormaxxx

Thats easy, just speak about anything that isnt related to being a weak purple haired trans supporter, and you're outta there.

On topic, played a few hours of this but didnt really feel its anything special, its nice and cosy and all but doesnt feel like anything I havent played before, and the first section where you train etc was pretty fucking boring if i'm honest. Will keep going as i'm sure it will get better.
How does the experience compare to The Messenger?

This shit is good. I've got Blasphemous 2 and Rubicon to play while the hurricane rolls on by and I have been cracked out on this for 3 hours already instead.
Wasn't really interested after being let down by Chained Echoes, but I'm enjoying this a lot more.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
gonna play it today, anyone know how long it is? I hear 25-30 hours.....i dunno if thats enough time to finish before starfield lol
Same. The game tile is looking at me on the dash but I'm holding myself from starting it for now. I feel bad about it honestly.

Top Bottom