• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake - PAX previews and gameplay footage

At first I was meh on the artstyle, but it looks good from a top down perspective. The cutscenes where you can see the characters faces are the bad parts.

Phatcorns

Game is looking great to me. Kind of crazy how divided the response has been.

Movement speed seems a little slow, but the actual act of attacking looks really good and satisfying. They did a good job of emulating the "burst" of any enemy dying like the original. Sound effects are spot on too.

Very pleased so far and it seems the creators have at least some reverence for the original.

On the 8-4 podcast they were implying this was getting a new translation to fix the issues of the cut content of the snes cd version and rush of the English translation, has that been officially talked about or was that just their speculation

Fan or official remake?!

lol neither. These images are from Project Octopath, a game Square is making. I was saying that we should wish for a FFVI remake to look like that instead of this Secret of Mana remake. I don't want polygons. I want pretty sprites in a gorgeous 3D world that uses sprites.

This looks so much better in motion. One of my favorite games, and I'll almost certainly pick it up. Really curious to see if they change the magic system at all to prevent magic chaining and super easy magic leveling.

Phatcorns

On the 8-4 podcast they were implying this was getting a new translation to fix the issues of the cut content of the snes cd version and rush of the English translation, has that been officially talked about or was that just their speculation

From everything I've read that's just speculation BUT looking at the videos of the first village they obviously don't have the same text limitations so I'd imagine it's gonna be more faithful to the Japanese original.

it's a pass for me then. maybe someone on pc will mod it in.

No need for mods aslong as either you or the person you want to play with has a Nvidia GPU. Gamestream Coop works beautifully aslong as the person you are playing with isn't on the other side of the world.

Granted, that would only be two-player though.

Looks great, although IMO SNES games have aged better than PSX games.

Vagrant Story and/or Xenogears remake (with Square loaning Takahashi for disc 2) if you're going to remake classics please.

VandalD

Movement looks so slow. It's a shame they didn't pull the camera back and just not have a minimap. They could just put the SNES graphics in an actual map. Also don't like how the placement of the player on the screen makes it so you don't have as much time to react to enemies below you. With the camera being angled like that, and with the character positioned in the center, with UI on the bottom blocking you, you have a much better view of things above you than below you. If they fixed magic being exploitable on bosses, and let you avoid spells yourself, then this might be a game worth playing. Offensive magic completely broke the original in my opinion.

CTLance

Neato. Still unsure about certain aspects, but looks good enough for yet another playthrough. Wonder what the new translation is gonna be like. I probably won't like it due to being so used to the old one.

The minimap annoys me way more than it really should, though. I wonder why. Probably one of those old people yelling at clouds moments.
Local Co-op?! Ayyy! Looks like I'll be forcing my girlfriend to play it with me
That feel when no GF for local CoOp and the only way for local CoOp with friends would be Nintendo handhelds (3DS/Switch).

Dammit, SquEnix. You idiots. Not port begging, it comes out wherever it comes out, and I'll get it for PC at the very least, but three player multiplayer in the Biergarten or on a picnic would be perfect for, uh, certain other platforms. Tsk.

Neato. Still unsure about certain aspects, but looks good enough for yet another playthrough. Wonder what the new translation is gonna be like. I probably won't like it due to being so used to the old one.

The minimap annoys me way more than it really should, though. I wonder why. Probably one of those old people yelling at clouds moments.

That feel when no GF for local CoOp and the only way for local CoOp with friends would be Nintendo handhelds (3DS/Switch).

Dammit, SquEnix. You idiots. Not port begging, it comes out wherever it comes out, and I'll get it for PC at the very least, but three player multiplayer in the Biergarten or on a picnic would be perfect for, uh, certain other platforms. Tsk.

I wish we went back to a strict no port begging policy. These thinly veiled port begging posts from all sides just congest the threads.

"No port begging but, uh, veiled port pegging" is still port begging sorry it isn't coming to Switch, maybe it will someday until then it doesn't warrant mentioning or conversation.

Famassu

SharePlay on PS4 allows for online multiplayer, if that is of any help.

Watching the Youtube link, not specifically related to the game itself, but am I the only one irked by the over-use of the term "mobs" for enemies/monsters in offline RPGs?

Fan or official remake?!

It's a new game for the Switch (probably exclusive) by Square Enix. They are supposed to show more at TGS later this year.

CTLance

I wish we went back to a strict no port begging policy. These thinly veiled port begging posts from all sides just congest the threads.

"No port begging but, uh, veiled port pegging" is still port begging sorry it isn't coming to Switch, maybe it will someday until then it doesn't warrant mentioning or conversation.
If it helps, I'd take a PSP port as well, I think I could organise some of those in my social circle. As long as it's on a portable platform and offers local multiplayer, I'd be fine, really. This is a game that many of us enjoyed as kids with a friend or maybe even two. And handhelds are perfect for that kind of gameplay. Nobody of my friends whips out their home console controllers when it comes to multiplayer gaming. Well, except for our lone WiiU guy.

.... Also, veiled port pegging sounds nasty. I wonder what would turn up if I plugged that term into google. I'm afraid to try.

Pachinko

I have only 1 major issue with this games existence and it's that it probably needs to do well for square to continue making anymore mana games... which means rather than do any kind of official translated rom , SD3 will probably only ever come out stateside with ugly cheap looking 3D graphics.

I might have given aspects of the generic art style a pass if they'd added in some kind of shader to make the game look more like the clay diorama sculptures present in the manual. All of this could be rectified if they included a non-3D version with this version as well.

Celine

Polygonal graphics looks kind of dull and "by the number", however I think Secret of Mana is an ideal game to be remade because the original has many glitches (characters stuck into the background, spotty hit detection), bad design choices (chaining magic, no short invincibility period after being hit or at least to disable stacking damages after you have been stun) and mediocre english translation.

The true dream would be Seiken Densetsu 3 finally officially translated in english (with the original pixel art).

120v

I have only 1 major issue with this games existence and it's that it probably needs to do well for square to continue making anymore mana games... which means rather than do any kind of official translated rom , SD3 will probably only ever come out stateside with ugly cheap looking 3D graphics.

i don't think square knows what Mana even is anymore. seems every game the past 15 years has a mission statement of having a forest fairyland theme and recurring characters while ignoring pretty much everything people enjoyed about SoM. ... so outside of remakes and remasters it may as well rip in peace as far as i'm concerned

Graphics are serviceable in gameplay, but if they aren't going to make better character models or animate them for shit then keep the camera pulled out like the original. Framing them up in cutscenes looks bad.

atbigelow

There is no "cut content" of the CD version; that project was scrapped but its name lived on (Chrono Trigger).

Translation issues I could definitely see being fixed. No cartridge limits here.

aadiboy

I might have given aspects of the generic art style a pass if they'd added in some kind of shader to make the game look more like the clay diorama sculptures present in the manual. All of this could be rectified if they included a non-3D version with this version as well.
It'll do well enough in Japan alone for more Mana games. If you want to play the original SD3, just play the fan translated version. The official SD3 remake will have glitches fixed and official translation, which is enough to justify it being made.

Watching the Youtube link, not specifically related to the game itself, but am I the only one irked by the over-use of the term "mobs" for enemies/monsters in offline RPGs?

It's a new game for the Switch (probably exclusive) by Square Enix. They are supposed to show more at TGS later this year.

Really? Where did you hear this at?

woopWOOP

Looks alright, I like the characters' models, but it's kind of funny how they still don't show the bully shoving/punching the player. Exactly like the SNES version, but the lack of animation looks kind of silly in 3D.

Ricker

''So for people who never played the game before blah blah...''

2 minutes later,

''So the name of the blade fully upgraded near the end is called...''

Jesus girl lol.

Looks ok I guess,its nice that they left local co-op also.

Duderino

Wish the characters moved in 8 directions instead of 360 degrees. Hopefully enemies and characters still block movement on a grid.

timberger

lol, soon as I saw there was a Vita version I knew the Switchers would be fuming.

Will gladly be picking up the Vita version day one. Looks really good :)

Scrawnton

Since the co-op is local only does that mean Vita doesn't have co-op? If only there was a handheld that allowed for easy co-op.... seriously SE what're you doing?

Since the co-op is local only does that mean Vita doesn't have co-op? If only there was a handheld that allowed for easy co-op.... seriously SE what're you doing?

Of course the Vita will have local co-op, just like a bunch of other games that have released on it. Is this a real post?

There is no "cut content" of the CD version; that project was scrapped but its name lived on (Chrono Trigger).

Translation issues I could definitely see being fixed. No cartridge limits here.
Isn't that generally attributed to the rough transition the game takes mid game to 3rd act with little to no narrative explanation? That and the rushed English translation? I have heard for years that even in Japanese this part of the game feels chopped apart and stitched together

Scrawnton

Of course the Vita will have local co-op, just like a bunch of other games that have released on it. Is this a real post?
I'm insinuating that if they're too lazy to set up online multiplayer on pc/PS4 they're probably too lazy to set up LAN co-op on vita. I'm not a game developer but what's the workload difference between setting up LAN co-op vs p2p online co-op? If they won't do online co-op on pc/PS4 is it worth setting up local co-op on VITA still?

Syril

Isn't that generally attributed to the rough transition the game takes mid game to 3rd act with little to no narrative explanation? That and the rushed English translation? I have heard for years that even in Japanese this part of the game feels chopped apart and stitched together
Yeah there's a whole part that rushes you through like three major dungeons back to back, and one of them even has the goal right at the entrance. It definitely feels like part of the game was cut, even if it wasn't from the format change. The rushed translation was likely to make a holiday release.

Psxphile

You're talking about that portion where you're being sent all over the world by "Jech" while you wait for his master to return, instead of being led to those places naturally by the narrative? I can see how that part could seem rather half-baked.

Widge

Yeah there's a whole part that rushes you through like three major dungeons back to back, and one of them even has the goal right at the entrance. It definitely feels like part of the game was cut, even if it wasn't from the format change. The rushed translation was likely to make a holiday release.

What was this bit? It's been an absolute age.

mao2

I'm insinuating that if they're too lazy to set up online multiplayer on pc/PS4 they're probably too lazy to set up LAN co-op on vita. I'm not a game developer but what's the workload difference between setting up LAN co-op vs p2p online co-op? If they won't do online co-op on pc/PS4 is it worth setting up local co-op on VITA still?
It's already confirmed that Vita version supports up to 3 players co-op play via Ad-Hoc.
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken2_som/
プレイ人数 1~3人
※ PS4®/Windows®版:オフラインマルチプレイ対応、PS Vita版:アドホックプレイ対応

Mivey

They should make such a remake for Seiken Densetsu 3. I guess I'll buy this one to make that more likely to happen.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
''So for people who never played the game before blah blah...''

2 minutes later,

''So the name of the blade fully upgraded near the end is called...''

Jesus girl lol.

Looks ok I guess,its nice that they left local co-op also.

A. that's not a spoiler.

2. her information wasn't even right. Excalibur is like the 5th or 6th sword upgrade.

d. The ENTIRE game's plot, from literally minute 1, is based around Randi finding "The Mana Sword" the final upgrade for his sword is the god damned Mana Sword... SPOILER I guess.

Thanks for the refresher, it's been atleast 15 years, if not closer to 20 years since my last completion. But still remember this bit, and some lore about the moon palace? being incoherent to nonexistent.

Top Bottom