• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeking PSVR hands on impressions

Maligna

Banned
I'm really sad that I'm not at E3, otherwise I'd be posting my own thoughts here. But I'm really interested to know what people's impressions of PSVR are from the E3 show floor. Speaking as someone who has the thing pre-ordered but has never actually tried VR, (I've dreamed about VR basically my whole life) I'm curious to know if I'm going to be disappointed this fall or not.

So if you're currently at E3 and you've tried PSVR, please tell me what you think of it. Especially if you're able to compare it to experiences with Rift or Vive.

Also if you aren't at E3, but you come across a good hands on review or article from a website then please link it here so we can all check it out.

Maybe I'll try to consolidate the best bits into the OP here later today if this thread works out like hope it does.

EL CUCO

I'm really interested to see how Farpoint plays. Everything I've heard is that it's a full fledged FPS campaign.
https://youtu.be/sscj8yZMBfk
Playstation did a LiveCast yesterday, which I thought was pretty informative. Hopefully they upload it today.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I played Rez. It plays like the original game but you move your head to target. It was trippy but didn't make me dizzy, surprisingly given the fast movement and lack of a cockpit.
To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Sitting VR to me is basically like a good 3D effect. It is more immersive but doesn't really change gameplay. Room scale seems the way to go (haven't tried the Vive so I can't vouch for that myself).

I'm not at E3, but I had "VIP" access to the PSVR booth at the Taipei Game Show back in February.

I played The Heist, the Until Dawn rail shooter, and tried Into the Deep.

The tactile nature of reloading guns in The Heist really sold me on the possibilities of PSVR.

Jacknapes

I had a go on PSVR last year at EGX in Birmingham. Here's my review of it from a mates gaming news site

When it was finally my go, I was called up and was spoken to by a nice chap from Sony. He asked me if I’ve tried other VR’s before coming here, I said no because I hadn’t. He also said the VR is very good and it has to be seen to be believed, so by now I’m quite excited to be giving this a go. I was met by another Sony chap who gave me the whole prep talk. Basically, asking if I suffered from motion sickness or nausea. I was instructed on how to adjust the headset for my own comfort, so I could enjoy the experience fully. And finally, it was time. The headset was put on, and I was given one final piece of advice. If I felt sick, put my hand up and shut my eyes so they could remove the headset and make sure I was ok. Then the headphones went on and I was given the DS4 control pad, now I was ready.

The game I demo’d out was Battle Tanks, a remake of the 1970’s Atari game. Just from looking around, I could see the control panel of the tank I was in, the guns to my left and right. And I could look out of the windows, this was very immersive. I did feel iffy, but this settled down as I adjusted to the visuals. The headphones pumped the sound through, so I could hear the whirring of the tank and the lift. Then I was away, controlling the tank with the control pad and seeing and hearing things flying around the view. Best description, imagine looking out of your eyes and seeing graphics instead of the real world. Honestly, you got lost so easily. The game played like the game should, so there is not a lot I could say there (you could see the game on the TV in front whilst waiting for your chance on the VR). Then before I knew it, the level was done and the equipment was removed by the Sony chap. Like earlier, I had to adjust again, this time back to the real world.

After my experience, I was given a survey to complete on my experiences. I was asked questions like “would this demo encourage me to buy the VR when it came out” and “would I recommend this to friends and family” and “did I feel ill in the time I was in-game”. Once this was done, I was given a cardboard tube with 2 posters inside.

Overall then, this was a great experience of Virtual Reality gaming.

It's probably changed a bit since then.

One thing I would like to know is when you have the headset on can people still watch your gameplay on the tv? Awhile back they talked about second screen where people would play one roll on tv and the other with the psvr but will it only be available for certain games that allow that?

Mokubba

One thing I would like to know is when you have the headset on can people still watch your gameplay on the tv? Awhile back they talked about second screen where people would play one roll on tv and the other with the psvr but will it only be available for certain games that allow that?

Yes, they can.

That's what they breakout box is for.

DieH@rd

Banned
Jeff Cannata had good in-depth impressions of playing PSVR on this E3 in the last episode of DLC podcast. He has both Vive and Rift at home, so he was able to compare PSVR with them easily.

He was VERY surpised at the PS4 performance/visuals, screen quality and the lack of screendoor effect on PSVR.

I had time with ps vr at pax east a few months ago , I played rigs

First off it's not heavy, I thought it'd be heavy and drag my neck X head down but it's a perfect weight for easy movement
Second is you'll need to adjust it since it'll be blurry when first putting it on , but I guess that was due to so many people using it and having different settings
As for gameplay it felt pretty great , I looked down I saw hands in the mech , I moved my head and the mech moved , I died and the screen goes black for a sec
Overall I'm very excited for the future of VR and can't wait to see what games come out for it

TherealDoge

Neo Member
I've played it last september at the Tokyo Game Show on one game, it was RIGS, the Mecha FPS game from Guerrilla Games.

RIGS was fun but only for few minutes, i can't image people palying it 3-4 hours in a row, it's more like a demo of what the PS4 can do with the PSVR.

The Headset on itself was pretty lightweight and easy to wear but the screen inside was just awful. The video feed was on a big HD TV screen in front of me at the time as it was on the PSVR screen i had on my head. On the TV the graphics were true 1080p but on the PSVR screen it was just a mass of pixels, like an Oculus DK1.

I did not replayed it since september, i really hope they have optimized the LCD screen

baphomet

It's definitely not as nice as the rift or vive. The screen is low resolution and there's a decent amount of noise in the image.

It works great though. It's just up to developers to make some great experiences now. Once you're in it for a bit you won't mind the blurry image if a game is made well and built to the PSVR strengths. Most everything at e3 is essentially a tech demo. Farpoint is cool, but it's essentially an on rails shooter with very little control over where you go. You can only really go straight and shoot whatever pops up. It is fun though, and that's what matters. Also holding the aim controller and looking down in game and seeing the arms and gun mapped 1:1 to how you're holding your arms is pretty cool.

I'll be buying a PSVR for sure.

It's definitely not as nice as the rift or vive. The screen is low resolution and there's a decent amount of noise in the image.

It works great though. It's just up to developers to make some great experiences now. Once you're in it for a bit you won't mind the blurry image if a game is made well and built to the PSVR strengths. Most everything at e3 is essentially a tech demo. Farpoint is cool, but it's essentially an on rails shooter with very little control over where you go. You can only really go straight and shoot whatever pops up. It is fun though, and that's what matters. Also holding the aim controller and looking down in game and seeing the arms and gun mapped 1:1 to how you're holding your arms is pretty cool.

Oooo, you have hands on experience with Farpoint!? How does the aiming down sight work exactly? Like, when does it kick in? Do you have to have it right next to your face? It's got to feel weird without a shoulder stock to rest against your shoulder.

Palocca

I'll have to give my detailed impressions later when I get into work, but as a first time PSVR user at E3, I left pretty satisfied overall. My biggest issue was the screen resolution; it was acceptable for the most part, but I did have trouble reading finer details, such as ammo count on the gun itself.

I tried Batman Arkham VR, Farpoint, and Resident Evil VR.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Some of the impressions in here are not selling me on keeping my $400 preorder :/

I'll have to give my detailed impressions later when I get into work, but as a first time PSVR user at E3, I left pretty satisfied overall. My biggest issue was the screen resolution; it was acceptable for the most part, but I did have trouble reading finer details, such as ammo count on the gun itself.

What exactly was Batman? Does it feel like a whole game or is it more of a tech demo?

This is what I said in September 2015 after playing at EGX. I have a suspicion this was an older LCD headset, rather than the updated OLED one.

"I managed to try out PlayStation VR today with a demo of EVE Valkyrie.

I found the headset itself to be surprisingly light, very comfortable and easily adjustable to suit your own eyesight. it's also intuitive to use - looking around the environment was completely natural and convincing with no noticeable lag and no sign of the dreaded VR nausea.

It's often said the key to a successful VR experience is to create "presence" - a sense of actually being there - and this certainly worked for me. Tellingly, as I looked down at my avatar's legs in the cockpit, I felt compelled to move my own legs to match that position. That was weird.

The demo itself was a fairly basic, yet enthralling experience, piloting a small fighter craft amongst a debris field of wrecked space cruisers, while using a combination of guns and missiles you hunt down enemy targets. The difference here is the ability to move your head in any direction to track targets as they move around, and above your ship. Very cool.

I'm fully aware that what I used today is not the final consumer version of either the hardware or software. Being objective, there are a couple of minor points I should mention. Firstly, being so close to a screen it's inevitable that the screen's pixels are visible, giving a slight "screendoor" effect. Also, the game itself suffered with some noticeable aliasing. That said, once I was immersed in that world those issues mattered little and, for me, the advantages of playing in VR far outweighed any negatives.

Overall it was an amazing experience and one I am eager to try again. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes."

Needless to say, I'm sold on it and the preorder is in.

What exactly was Batman? Does it feel like a whole game or is it more of a tech demo?

Dev that described it made it sound more like a VR version of the detective crime scene deconstructions from the Arkham games.

There's no sprawling, VR version of Gotham where you're flying around and engaging in combat.

He also made it sound like more of a mini game. But at the start you get to explore Wayne Manor in VR and enter the batcave via the secret entrance and suit up as Batman in VR.

baphomet

Oooo, you have hands on experience with Farpoint!? How does the aiming down sight work exactly? Like, when does it kick in? Do you have to have it right next to your face? It's got to feel weird without a shoulder stock to rest against your shoulder.

It doesn't kick in, you just look down the sights and enemies will have a marker on them. You don't have to use the sight either. If you want to try and shoot from the hip you can do that as well. Doesn't feel weird at all without a stock.

Ricker

For the people who tried it, do you wear glasses? Was that an impediment?

I was told there is absolutly no problem for people who wear glasses...it was from the Sony Rep at a Gamestop where they will have a demo booth though,so take it as it is...

I am also surprised by the lack of impressions and the OMG its awesome coming from E3...maybe those attending are use to it already or something...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have played several PSVR demos. The heist, the deep, ps vr playroom.

It work well enough, and is pretty light. Unfortunately it is not full vr due to no tracking point at the back.

There's also a gap below and i couldnt have the headset completely sealed over my face. Hopefully they will rectify it

Mt friend says that the best game is a tank game. That's a psvr game. He's likes or more than any other vr game he's played

Maligna

Banned
Jeff Cannata had good in-depth impressions of playing PSVR on this E3 in the last episode of DLC podcast. He has both Vive and Rift at home, so he was able to compare PSVR with them easily.

He was VERY surpised at the PS4 performance/visuals, screen quality and the lack of screendoor effect on PSVR.

I heard this episode. Got me hungry for more impressions because I know Jeff is VR hardcore already. Haha. Would like some new voices.

Harp

VR is super confusing, now that rift and vive are out and everyone says their image quality is not very good, and PSVR is worse. It seems impressions are not valid until they are released. You almost never heard about rift and vives issues until release date.

They where supposed to be leaps and bounds greater then gear vr, but they all have the same screen door issues.

Anybody here have a huge head? Because I do, like where hats don't even fit me at all. Am I going to have an issue with the headset? I also wear glasses as well.

orioto

Good Art™
I've played it last september at the Tokyo Game Show on one game, it was RIGS, the Mecha FPS game from Guerrilla Games.

RIGS was fun but only for few minutes, i can't image people palying it 3-4 hours in a row, it's more like a demo of what the PS4 can do with the PSVR.

The Headset on itself was pretty lightweight and easy to wear but the screen inside was just awful. The video feed was on a big HD TV screen in front of me at the time as it was on the PSVR screen i had on my head. On the TV the graphics were true 1080p but on the PSVR screen it was just a mass of pixels, like an Oculus DK1.

I did not replayed it since september, i really hope they have optimized the LCD screen

Wait, shouldn't the PSVR screen be at least DK2 quality (same resolution if i'm not wrong) maybe even better cause of the full rgb thing?

Sky Chief

Haha, I hope this doesn't sound rude but my guess is you don't have much VR experience. How does aiming down sights work in real life!? You physically look down the sights with your eye! It's just funny because VR is such a paradigm shift and the mechanics are so natural to adjust to.

Maligna

Banned
Agh. This is confusing me.

I hear conflicting things about screen resolution. Some people say it's fine, great even. Others say it's horrible.

Does it depend on the game or something?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Waited all day to play Resident Evil VII VR demo and got so horribly motion sick in the first two minutes that I had to stop playing in VR. Makes me worried I'll never be able to enjoy VR as it exists now. Have other devs been working on clever ways to help mitigate this? I was basically sick for hours from a few steps in that cabin.

This seems like it could be a severely limiting factor for who can enjoy VR. Motion sickness all so tends to occur with higher frequency in women too, so I wonder if VR disproportionately excludes women from enjoying it. Anyone else have any experience with this aspect of VR?

Sky Chief

Waited all day to play Resident Evil VII VR demo and got so horribly motion sick in the first two minutes that I had to stop playing in VR. Makes me worried I'll never be able to enjoy VR as it exists now. Have other devs been working on clever ways to help mitigate this? I was basically sick for hours from a few steps in that cabin.

This seems like it could be a severely limiting factor for who can enjoy VR. Motion sickness all so tends to occur with higher frequency in women too, so I wonder if VR disproportionately excludes women from enjoying it. Anyone else have any experience with this aspect of VR?

It's just poor game design, this is why most games on Vive user teleportation.

Palocca

I hear conflicting things about screen resolution. Some people say it's fine, great even. Others say it's horrible.

I think overall it's fine/great as long as the game doesn't use very fine text to convey information. For example, I had trouble reading the subweapon text in Farpoint, which was located above the main ammo count on the ADS area of the gun.

For the people who tried it, do you wear glasses? Was that an impediment?
Tried it at PSX last year with my glasses and had no problem. Was one of my worries going into it, my glasses are rectangular so they fit well with the headset. I'd imagine the hipstery glasses may not work to well.

Keratay

Neo Member
I've tried all three, played PSVR at Pax East. Tried Rigs, Thumper, London Heist, and the Harmonix music thing.

Head tracking is spot-on. The only demo I tried that used the move controllers was London heist, but both times (on the same machine) the tracking in the controllers bugged out and my hands were getting stuck in-game. Didn't make a great impression but the booth staff assured me it was just the machine acting up. Headset is extremely comfortable, and doesn't feel like you've got elastic strapped to your head.

The only problem I ran into was motion sickness. Now, I'm pretty susceptible to motion sickness in general (playing Portal/2 for over an hour is unbearable, and I get dizzy after 30 minutes), so it wasn't a huge surprise to me. Rigs got me mildly nauseous after a single round, and thumper did too about halfway through (5 minutes?). I think it's bearable for 30-minute chunks, but I wouldn't keep a headset on for hours at a time.

Just based on the demos I've seen, I'd say Vive > PSVR > Oculus (only tried dk1 and 2, not cv). Vince's demos worked perfectly and room-scale tracking was excellent, which is why I put it first. Oculus might be equal/better once Touch comes out, but I haven't tried it. There's nothing like trying VR yourself, and it's much more widely available now in stores like Best Buy. The Microsoft store by Central Park even had a Vive demo. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Wozzer

Anyone else have any experience with this aspect of VR?

Exactly the same experience. It took me two days to get a Resident Evil VR appointment and felt motion sickness right out the gate, which didn't go away for hours afterwards.

It's fault to the developers. Controlling the protagonist via traditional controller input with a first person camera along with having extra perspective control with the headset feels horrible in use. The game also had an excessive amount of noise from the device making the picture clarity extremely cloudy and you'd often transition from one place to another further jarring the experience.

I literally came to the demo from Oculus Touch, where I encountered zero motion sickness and was very mobile within. Similar story with Vive the day prior. In comparison I had to refrain from looking around too much in PSVR, holding my head as still as possible whilst moving, to endure the full demo.

For comparisons sake I left the Oculus Touch demo in a buzz of excitement, easily my best experience of the show, and left PSVR with a sickness sweat eager to avoid another experience like it.

SerTapTap

grumble grumble grumble

It's almost certainly that way to limit the motion sickness people have in the RE7 app (and most things with free VR movement). There's a reason very few games use analog controls (that aren't "driving" experiences inside mechs etc)

Has Sony said if they'll do a "comfort rating" like I believe Oculus does? There's probably some who are totally fine (or only mildly nauseated) playing with a traditional analog but there's plenty of experiences for those who can't handle that. Hopefully they'll be clearly marked.

Big VR fan here. Have a Oculus DK2, Oculus Rift CV, and HTC Vive. I have played the Deep on the original PSVR headset and I recently played Rigs and Wayward Sky on the new PSVR headset at Pax East.

For the headset itself:

Comfort: PSVR>RiftCV>>HTC Vive

Tracking: I find them all to be on par for seated experience. The VIVE is amazing though for being able to totally walk around my basement.

SDE and FOV: For me they are all close enough. Yes even the PSVR with its lower resolution looks great. Maybe not quite as good as the others but its closer than you would think. The optics are great on PSVR.

I have not tried Touch controllers but the VIVE controllers are WORLDS better than the Move controllers. Move just cant hang in the tracking department compared to HTC.

The Deep: Immersive, great demo.

Wayward Sky: Kind of fun actually. Very simple from what I played but I enjoyed it. You switch from First Person to Third Person depending on the task. I recommend giving it a whirl. The big question for me is do the puzzles get increasingly intricate and complex.

Rigs: This game is AWESOME. I really had alot of fun with it. I thought it would be an instant Nausea factory because of the motion and that it looks really beautiful. By the end of my demo I did feel a tad uncomfortable, but I could have played more. I dont think I will be a fan of fast paced 60FPS VR games. Some people may be less sensitive than me, but I will likely need the NEO to play this kind of game for long periods of time.

qcf x2

Anybody here have a huge head? Because I do, like where hats don't even fit me at all. Am I going to have an issue with the headset? I also wear glasses as well.

Most of these headsets use straps, so you should be fine. If you're considering pre-ordering but on the fence because of that potential issue, I suggest you do it and then when the demo units start hitting stores before launch check it out. You would still have time to cancel.

ChrisG683

You're putting a 960 x 1080 image right next to your eyeballs, it's going to be aliased and there will be a screen door effect, guaranteed. It's simply where VR is at this point in time. With PSVR using RGB instead of PenTile it may be comparable to the Vive/Rift despite being lower resolution.

You WILL notice how inferior it is to the 1080p+ gaming you are used to, but that's not the point of VR right now, it's all about immersion.

Yes, text is hard to read in general inside VR, it will need to be larger than usual in order for you to read it properly, there's just only so many pixels they can work with.

On a powerful PC, you can decrease the aliasing with supersampling / AA techniques, but again you can't physically increase the amount of pixels available to display on, so while you can eliminate most of the aliasing there's diminishing returns at some point, and you can't magically make everything finely detailed with just more horsepower.

KC-Slater

I have posted about this before on other threads, but I tried Capcom's 'Kitchen' demo at Fan Expo in Toronto last summer, and my mind was blown. I was very impressed by the graphic fidelity of the game, as well as the quality of the display itself. (I would equate it to looking at a GameCube-ish game being displayed in 640x480 or better, but with far more effects, better lighting, slightly better models, etc.)

The headset was very comfortable. It didn't feel heavy in the limited time I wore it.

In terms of immersion, I was completely sold. In the demo, you are seated on a chair in a dilapidated kitchen, seemingly bound to the chair. I recall looking over my 'shoulder' in game, and seeing a polygonal representation of it, near perfectly represented 1:1 where my actual shoulder would be in real life. Same goes for my legs. It was a trip! I think they craziest part was when in-game characters got right in my face, or when they leaned down to my level (remember I am bound to a chair.) It was so immersive! The scale of the characters was a shock as well -- seeing them represented as the same size as you was very weird but awesome.

I was sold on PSVR immediately. Granted, the growth of the platform will be fast of the next 2 years, it was cool enough that I wanted in at the start, with PSVR.

Haha, I hope this doesn't sound rude but my guess is you don't have much VR experience. How does aiming down sights work in real life!? You physically look down the sights with your eye! It's just funny because VR is such a paradigm shift and the mechanics are so natural to adjust to.

No offense at all! I only have experience with Oculus (one more week and i'll get some PSVR hands on finally). It was more a technical question of how they implemented it. As far as i've seen it's not a traditional sight with a fixed optic point... it has some weird floating, enemy lock on crosshair thing i believe. It didnt seem like using a normal optic on a analog rifle.

VR is super confusing, now that rift and vive are out and everyone says their image quality is not very good, and PSVR is worse. It seems impressions are not valid until they are released. You almost never heard about rift and vives issues until release date.

First I've heard of the image quality being bad on Rift, Vive or PSVR. I've heard its not quite as sharp as a monitor or TV but never heard it described as bad. Sounds more like people on the internet exaggerating the truth as normal.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Exactly the same experience. It took me two days to get a Resident Evil VR appointment and felt motion sickness right out the gate, which didn't go away for hours afterwards.

It's fault to the developers. Controlling the protagonist via traditional controller input with a first person camera along with having extra perspective control with the headset feels horrible in use. The game also had an excessive amount of noise from the device making the picture clarity extremely cloudy and you'd often transition from one place to another further jarring the experience.

I literally came to the demo from Oculus Touch, where I encountered zero motion sickness and was very mobile within. Similar story with Vive the day prior. In comparison I had to refrain from looking around too much in PSVR, holding my head as still as possible whilst moving, to endure the full demo.

For comparisons sake I left the Oculus Touch demo in a buzz of excitement, easily my best experience of the show, and left PSVR with a sickness sweat eager to avoid another experience like it.

Yeah, I had figured that this was partially the fault of bad design. The environment felt pretty blurry and looking around while moving in dual analog was incredibly disorienting. For games such as Rigs, where you seem to move around a lot, have other people run into issues with motion sickness?

I am a little happier to hear that other VR demos are less likely to make me sick like this. I've been somewhat skeptical of VR for a while now, but I was eager to give it a shot yesterday and was immediately disappointed. I really still want VR to work for me, so I guess I might go try out another demo today. Greg Miller assured me that Batman was amazing, so I'll see if I can get into that one.

bj00rn_

Banned

They where supposed to be leaps and bounds greater then gear vr, but they all have the same screen door issues.

Everything is relative. Whether the resolution is acceptable or not is dependent on how the experience is formed by the developer. Imagine two racing games f.ex; One cartoony with a scaled up world, and short tight tracks to mask the drawbacks of a relatively low resolution (high resolution but spread over a wide field of view) and another realistic one with long draw distances, like PCars or gt. This will give two different outcomes; the cartoony one will appear fine to most people, the realistic one will appear extremely pixellated (and even more so with heavy use of reprojection).

Problem is, with today's technology we would need about 16K (!) displays to compensate for the pixel spread over a wide field of view. That's of course out of the question, not the least because of the insane power demand it would generate. Until that, what we need is better lens tech, display tech, hardware accelerated VR tech (multiprojection) and foveated rendering (eye tracking) - or a completely new way (projection technology?)

It's first generation VR indeed; it's chock full of flaws and compromises - and it's still great - which is the confusing part I guess..

d9b

Banned

So, what resolution is PSVR?

Top Bottom