• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA currently investigating how to make Shenmue 1/2 HD a reality

Please investigate Vanquish for PC too. I have been waiting a long time.

raQvW2Q.jpg

Meesh

Will buy on whatever platform!!!

Just doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiitttt!!!!

Also Skies of Arcadia like so many have said! (Dear sweet baby Jesus I wish they'd do this...)

The_Dama

I think it would be easy on the Xbox 1 since they already released a bunch of Dreamcast for XBLA and they can use the same emulator for the Shenmue games. Xbox 1 is BC

Petrae

Investigate a crowdfunding campaign to pay for renewing those (now more expensive) licensing agreements. Otherwise, some publisher out there somewhere is going to have to open the checkbook to make this happen... because SEGA sure as shit isn't spending that kind of cash.

Slyfer

Neo Member
Skies of Arcadia HD with trophies would make my life complete.
Well Skies of Arcadia 2 would technically do that but let's start somewhere SEGA.

Slermy

Well Skies of Arcadia 2 would technically do that but let's start somewhere SEGA.

Let's see how the new Valkyria Chronicles turns out first before we start asking for Skies of Arcadia 2. I'm still hesitant about the changes.

Elios83

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
Seems more like a standard PR justification about why it hasn't already happened "we won't do it unless we can get it right blabla".
And these licensing issues...with all the time passed they could have rebuilt and improved the games easily with other modern technologies.
Still I hope that both games will be remastered, they're still interesting to play for the story.

Let's see how the new Valkyria Chronicles turns out first before we start asking for Skies of Arcadia 2. I'm still hesitant about the changes.

Azure Revolution isn't being developed by the studio that did Skies or VC1, or any internal Sega studio for that matter. Media Vision (Alternatively referred to on GAF as "Those guys who ruined Shining") is a 3rd party studio in a publishing deal with Sega that basically took over development of the Valkyria IP after Sega dissolved the Skies/VC1 team in a restructuring.

The full VC1 team hasn't worked on a game together as a whole since VC1. VC2 had a ton of outsourcing (IIRC even Platinum has a short section in the credits), and ever since the WOW Entertainment team has been scattered into various generic-named R&D Bureaus. Media Vision ended up picking up the pieces of the Valkyria IP afterwards. Who knows if they're even interested in Skies.

Zukkoyaki

I'd be interested in seeing how first time players take to the original Shenmue games. Years of hype and administration would have them under a serious microscope.

jjasso21

Do it Sega! I'll buy it Day One. Also PSO 2 for PS4 and PC in English too please. You have to admit they finally seem like they are trying though.

-Ryn

Banned
Sure hope this happens. Would love to catch up on the series with a single platform rather than well... 3.

soheil

I think they can do a Remake instead of remaster and get rid of those engine licence problems.Also the Shenmue's graphic is too old for new generation even in fullHD.

And they have Demiurge studios right now which are great in porting games.I think they might be able to handle a remake/remaster of shenmue.

Freeman76

Jesus ... Way to get defensive there. And I am a huge fan of the game , I have been playing every game in the franchise since day 1. But you clearly dont want to read my post and understand what I am trying to say.

THIS.

I want PSO2 here as much as the next guy , But I feel like it would sabotage the future of the franchise entirely.
PSO2 would be coming here 5 years late if at all it is going to come. And chances are we arent going to be getting the latest content from Japan.

The best course of action from SEGA would be to properly handle the next iteration of PSO/PSO2 and do a proper worldwide release.

You cant say you're a fan of a game and call it a lose if they localise it, whichever way you try to spin it

I think they can do a Remake instead of remaster and get rid of those engine licence problems.Also the Shenmue's graphic is too old for new generation even in fullHD.

And they have Demiurge studios right now which are great in porting games.I think they might be able to handle a remake/remaster of shenmue.

Small budget remake would be a good thing. Clean IQ and PS2/early PS3 assets would be fine.

theWB27

This would be downright amazing if this happened. I need to knock on some doors, check some drawers, get some figurines, etc etc.

That music....

Spaghetti

Huh?

Shenmue + Shenmue II still look great when emulated at 1080p.

Also, again, the issue is product licencing. Engine licencing is either solved or never existed to begin with. The stated aim of trying to undo the product licencing mess is to preserve the games as closely as possible to the Dreamcast originals, so why would they spend more time and money remaking them?

Their investigation had them place a Dreamcast Shenmue disc into a PS4, Xbone, WiiU and Jaguar CD.
The disc did not play on any.
Investigation finished.
Good job SEGA.

Why didn't they start "investigating" this as soon as the Shenmue 3 KS was a huge success?

Smh Sega

I always assumed they had to be honest, which makes this whole story about them currently "investigating" seem a bit disingenuous to me. I like to think Sega are being coy about Shenmue HD right now and that it's already in the works and soon to be announced, but maybe that's just the optimist in me.

It's just like... jeez, how fucking long do you need to cut through the red tape and solve some licensing issues. Get a leg on already, what are you paying them lawyers for!

Theonik

I always assumed they had to be honest, which makes this whole story about them currently "investigating" seem a bit disingenuous to me. I like to think Sega are being coy about Shenmue HD right now and that it's already in the works and soon to be announced, but maybe that's just the optimist in me.

It's just like... jeez, how fucking long do you need to cut through the red tape and solve some licensing issues. Get a leg on already, what are you paying them lawyers for!
These things can take years sometimes. I hope it doesn't take that long in this case though.

Crowza

As a huge Shenmue fan, I want this to have happened yesterday...

From a business standpoint, I would hold off and release them at the same time as Shenmue III. Larger profit in sales from people buying III who have never actually played the series, generated from the hype, than possibly turning off potential sales from people who buy 15+ year old remasters and don't like them.

To maximize sales, I'd offer them both as a preorder bonus for III and then release them all the same day.

But as a Shenmue fan, I'd prefer them to be released ASAP on all platforms. Insert 'Fry take my cash.gif' here.

I don't think there is much to be excited about honestly. It may be something, but it really just seems like PR as usual. I won't believe anything until I see it, but I would definitely buy it if it became a real thing.

Top Bottom