• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X wifi speeds

Soltype

Curious what kind of Wi-Fi speeds everyone else is getting on their Series X.I have 500mbps service and get most of it through Ethernet.Switching to Wi-Fi cuts the speed to 150mbps, it's nuts. I've tested every other wireless device in my house and I get pretty much full speed if not more. I've gone through all the settings on the router and Xbox it should be getting more than this, what's everyone else's experience with the wifi connection.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am almost always maxed out on my 300 mbps connection.

Check if you're not connected to the 2.4ghz wifi by accident, make sure it's on the 5ghz band.

100~150 mbps is what I usually get on my homes 2.4ghz wifi connection

Last edited:

Banned
never used its Wifi, because I wouldn't even consider using it on any console.

it should technically max out your bandwidth tho, unless the connection is bad somehow

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I am hard-wired to my router with 989mbs down. I can go to the built in speed test on the xbox and it always shows between 800mbs-950mbs and I have never not once had a download go above 350mbs. I'm pretty sure it's the MS servers that are the bottleneck and not your isp.
*edit* for comparison sake my PS5 usually tops out around 650mbs (almost twice as fast) on the same connection.

Last edited:

Rippa

Range and speed go hand-in-hand. The further away your Xbox is from the router, the slower the Wi-Fi speeds.

Make sure your Xbox is within a ~20 foot radius of the router and connected to the 5ghz Wi-Fi.

Whenever possible, always connect via Ethernet. Wi-Fi should only be left for the devices that cannot physically connect to your router.

If your Xbox is sitting beside your router, and you’re using Wi-Fi (for whatever particular reason) and are having slow speeds, then you might have settings issues on both devices.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Xbox download speeds are brutal, max I get is around 350mbps down wired. Over wifi probably half. The ps5 gets me around 600-700 hardwired and 250ish on wifi.

My internet is 3gb of download so neither comes close to maxing out my net.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have 500 mbps down internet and on the 5 ghz band I usually get better than 260 mbps downloads.

Puscifer

Curious what kind of Wi-Fi speeds everyone else is getting on their Series X.I have 500mbps service and get most of it through Ethernet.Switching to Wi-Fi cuts the speed to 150mbps, it's nuts. I've tested every other wireless device in my house and I get pretty much full speed if not more. I've gone through all the settings on the router and Xbox it should be getting more than this, what's everyone else's experience with the wifi connection.
It doesn't have Wi-Fi 6 from my understanding SSO that sounds normal

AX Wi-Fi is so damn good I don't even bother with a wired connection anymore getting 800-900 on Wi-Fi, I've even gone beyond 1000 on Wi-Fi if the conditions are right.

Last edited:
Yeah my Series X downloads have always been slower than ps5 idk what's up but it's not affecting my online gaming I'm not sure if the two would be connected in some way

MS speeds suck, at least that's been my experience. I have an XSX and a PS5 hard wired to the same router and get around 600 down on PS5 and 100 down on XSX. Steam wifi DL's also crazy fast. Not sure what MS is doing. Maybe they should buy an ISP.
Absolutely true. I download 3 games on PS5 over the app and by the time I wake up all 3 games are downloaded. When I got XsX, did the same, 6 hours later maybe one game only fully downloaded. If I didn't have the PS5 for a whole year before, maybe I would not notice this but XsX downloads CONSIDERABLY slower.

El Muerto

In my experience Playstation has always been slow for me and i typically get full speed on my all my Xboxes. Make sure you're connected to 5ghz, if both your SSIDs are named the same and not specified to show which one is 2.4g and 5g then your device will default to the SSID with the better signal which is always 2.4 as it has the better range. Next I would try changing the channel on your 5g network. Download a wifi analyzer app on your phone, you'll see what channel your SSID is broadcasting on and ones around you. Go into your router and designate the SSID to a channel that has the least amount of interference. Also turn off any QoS policies in the router. If you are using an ISP supplied router/gateway then you should look into getting your own as they are all garbage. You can probably put the gateway in bridge mode which will turn off the router side of the gateway and it would act like a dumb standard modem which will work fine. Alternatively you could just buy powerline adapters to hardwire your Xbox. I live in an older house, and i can get full speed on them, i used to use them for a steam link and they were fine, no packet loss and only 2-5ms of latency which is normal.

Pimpbaa

I’ve generally had better download speeds on my series x (up to 700mbps). Then again I have no idea what my PS5 is downloading at because they don’t tell you the speed. One could make a guesstimate looking at how much is downloaded each second or by seeing how long it takes to download a game of a certain size, but I suck at math.

edit: I have both my systems wired, but only for possible online multiplayer latency reasons. I had both my series x and ps5 on wi-fi before, but I haven’t really noticed a download speed change.

Last edited:

Just take out the shitty Wifi5 adapter and shove a Wifi6 adapter in there. Problem solved.

Can't promise anything will work, but problem solved.

Soltype

I am almost always maxed out on my 300 mbps connection.

Check if you're not connected to the 2.4ghz wifi by accident, make sure it's on the 5ghz band.

100~150 mbps is what I usually get on my homes 2.4ghz wifi connection
It's on 5ghz currently
never used its Wifi, because I wouldn't even consider using it on any console.

it should technically max out your bandwidth tho, unless the connection is bad somehow
My router only has 2 ports, one from the modem and the other to my PC
Range and speed go hand-in-hand. The further away your Xbox is from the router, the slower the Wi-Fi speeds.

Make sure your Xbox is within a ~20 foot radius of the router and connected to the 5ghz Wi-Fi.

Whenever possible, always connect via Ethernet. Wi-Fi should only be left for the devices that cannot physically connect to your router.

If your Xbox is sitting beside your router, and you’re using Wi-Fi (for whatever particular reason) and are having slow speeds, then you might have settings issues on both devices.
It's literally right next to it, and there's nothing in the way of it
Just take out the shitty Wifi5 adapter and shove a Wifi6 adapter in there. Problem solved.

Can't promise anything will work, but problem solved.
Is it possible to change the network card?

RobRSG

MS speeds suck, at least that's been my experience. I have an XSX and a PS5 hard wired to the same router and get around 600 down on PS5 and 100 down on XSX. Steam wifi DL's also crazy fast. Not sure what MS is doing. Maybe they should buy an ISP.
Geolocation is also a factor, because of server availability. I live in Germany and both are quite competent at downloading stuff. Usually 700-900 down on Xbox, 400-500 on Playstation wired.

Last edited:

RespawnX

Performance with Microsoft download servers is a matter of pure luck. There is everything ranging from 50 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s, which is also the case on the PC. However, most of the time I achieve a download speed of around 500-600 Mbit/s on the Xbox, which is all my 5 Ghz network can handle. Walls are bad for 5 Ghz signals, and if there is steel or something, it gets even worse. Using

2.4 Ghz signals sounds more like the speed you're getting. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to force the console itself to a frequency (the PS5 has a setting for that). Maybe you can exclude the Xbox from the 2.4 Ghz network at the router? Actually, the console should switch to 5 Ghz when the signal strength is strong. Have you tried deleting the WLAN settings on Xbox and setting it up again?

Keep in mind, your maximum speed is at the most 50% of what the router manufacturer specifies: Up/Down share the band.

Gamerguy84

Does xbox have AX?

I have all my consoles, desktops, TVs, anything stationary hardwired anyway. Along with a few extra jacks. When I got fiber there weren't many wires, when I finished the house was hardwired. It's worth the effort to do, especially with streaming some games.

Save the wifi for laptops, tablets, and any other IoT devices.

Kilau

Does xbox have AX?

I have all my consoles, desktops, TVs, anything stationary hardwired anyway. Along with a few extra jacks. When I got fiber there weren't many wires, when I finished the house was hardwired. It's worth the effort to do, especially with streaming some games.

Save the wifi for laptops, tablets, and any other IoT devices.
Series X supports dual ac but not Wi-Fi 6.

small_law

Until recently, I never saw more than 300 Mbps down and it was usually crazily inconsistent. I have a gigabit plan with my ISP and my home network is solid.

Only recently have I seen downloads approach 700 Mbps, like in the past week. I noticed when I needed to update Halo Infinite. It's nothing I did on my end of things.

Also, why does that console struggle so hard to update its own marketplace app? The whole UI freezes and hitches.

Tommi84

Series X doesn't have Wi-Fi 6. Suck it up, go with cable or upgrade to far more superior PS5 Wi-fi speeds

Codeblew

Yeah, or a cloud provider with great interconnects to the internet backbone. Oh wait.
My router only has 2 ports, one from the modem and the other to my PC
Is you XBOX close to your PC? If so, you could use a networking switch to get multiple LAN ports from the one connection. They are pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ethernet or if you aren’t wired up, use a power line adapter with Ethernet out. Wifi will never be rock solid.

My series x caps my downloads at 170 for some reason while my ps5 download at around 700. The devices are standing next to each other. MS forced download speed cap sucks monkey balls. Also while playing a game, ps5 keeps downloading at 700, while MS is capping the speed to like 30 only lol. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
My series x caps my downloads at 170 for some reason while my ps5 download at around 700. The devices are standing next to each other. MS forced download speed cap sucks monkey balls. Also while playing a game, ps5 keeps downloading at 700, while MS is capping the speed to like 30 only lol. It’s ridiculous.
My Series X downloads up to 800 on my 2 Gb fiber. Its integrated speed test goes up to 950-980, but download speeds (when no game is active) are mostly around 650-800 here.

Could depend on the country and the connections MS have through different ISPs there (you're going through several hops, not directly connected to MS's servers).

Also, I'm on Alpha Skip-ahead builds and they recently removed that 30 Mbps limit when a game is active, now it ca go faster, but it's fluctuating between 150 and 400 depending on the game running.
Downloading fast requires CPU time to check every packets received, I think Xbox reserves less CPU cores to the system when a game is running compared to PS5.

Meanwhile my Switch can't get over 35-40 Mbps even wired when my phone can get a stable 1850 Mbps with Wifi 6E.

My Series X downloads up to 800 on my 2 Gb fiber. Its integrated speed test goes up to 950-980, but download speeds (when no game is active) are mostly around 650-800 here.

Could depend on the country and the connections MS have through different ISPs there (you're going through several hops, not directly connected to MS's servers).

Also, I'm on Alpha Skip-ahead builds and they recently removed that 30 Mbps limit when a game is active, now it ca go faster, but it's fluctuating between 150 and 400 depending on the game running.
Downloading fast requires CPU time to check every packets received, I think Xbox reserves less CPU cores to the system when a game is running compared to PS5.

Meanwhile my Switch can't get over 35-40 Mbps even wired when my phone can get a stable 1850 Mbps with Wifi 6E.
My Switch gets around 150-200 on average, but I can accept that since the games are much smaller than the Xbox or ps versions. On my Xbox it takes forever to download any new game, vs just 10 minutes on my ps5 on average.

It’s almost like MS (here in Sweden at least) would like me to go to the store and get physical versions instead, it’s actually quicker to do that than to download 🙃.

acm2000

def something your end, i max out my 300Mb connection on my xbox every time, just make sure youre not playing a game or its not running in background as MS cap the download to 120ish, the option to "suspend my game" is there in the download queue.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
My Switch gets around 150-200 on average, but I can accept that since the games are much smaller than the Xbox or ps versions. On my Xbox it takes forever to download any new game, vs just 10 minutes on my ps5 on average.

It’s almost like MS (here in Sweden at least) would like me to go to the store and get physical versions instead, it’s actually quicker to do that than to download 🙃.
It can really depend on the connectivity between ISPs and MS servers.
Here in France I have a friend in the same city as me that uses another ISP, and despite having fiber too (1Gb for him), his downloads are slower on Xbox (and Windows Store) than mine.
On the Windows Store I can go up to 1.5 Gbps even, when downloading games and updates.

Sometimes changing the DNS on the console can help as it can make the traffic to go through other servers than the ones your ISP is telling to use.
Try the 1.1.1.1 DNS or the Google one : 8.8.4.4

Last edited:

Soltype

Is you XBOX close to your PC? If so, you could use a networking switch to get multiple LAN ports from the one connection. They are pretty cheap.
Going to have to, crazy how bad the Wi-Fi is. Is the Wi-Fi card in the system generic, is it possible to put a stronger one in there?

Bojji

Yeah series x wifi sucks, I had to use cable for it to max out my 1Gb connection, on wi fi it was slow as fuck. PS5 is much faster over wifi but I still keep it on cable.

What no one talks about is that series x slows down download speeds to 1999 speeds when gaming while PS5 downloads full speed no matter what you do.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It can really depend on the connectivity between ISPs and MS servers.
Here in France I have a friend in the same city as me that uses another ISP, and despite having fiber too (1Gb for him), his downloads are slower on Xbox (and Windows Store) than mine.
On the Windows Store I can go up to 1.5 Gbps even, when downloading games and updates.

Sometimes changing the DNS on the console can help as it can make the traffic to go through other servers than the ones your ISP is telling to use.
Try the 1.1.1.1 DNS or the Google one : 8.8.4.4
If you want on pc there's a software that test all dns and show you the best one , it could probably give you the best one to use on ps/xbox and switch if you're using it at home.

Edit: the software name is namebench

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm throwing my vote in for TP Link (or similar) powerline adapters. Ethernet through electrical system means you can have Ethernet in different rooms of a house. Sometimes a house's wiring means the router is on a different electrical circuit, but it's worth considering if you want higher speeds.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

I am hard-wired to my router with 989mbs down. I can go to the built in speed test on the xbox and it always shows between 800mbs-950mbs and I have never not once had a download go above 350mbs. I'm pretty sure it's the MS servers that are the bottleneck and not your isp.
*edit* for comparison sake my PS5 usually tops out around 650mbs (almost twice as fast) on the same connection.

Xbox download speeds are brutal, max I get is around 350mbps down wired. Over wifi probably half. The ps5 gets me around 600-700 hardwired and 250ish on wifi.

My internet is 3gb of download so neither comes close to maxing out my net.

Absolutely true. I download 3 games on PS5 over the app and by the time I wake up all 3 games are downloaded. When I got XsX, did the same, 6 hours later maybe one game only fully downloaded. If I didn't have the PS5 for a whole year before, maybe I would not notice this but XsX downloads CONSIDERABLY slower.

This has been my experience as well.
Italy, 1Gbps connection, console in the same room as my Wifi 6 router and :
XSX, no matter if it was on 5Ghz wifi or wired I couldn't get above 25MB/s- 30MB/s.
PS5 : through 5Ghz wifi I could get 60-70 MB/s while on wired, I've seen speeds of 100 MB/s-110 MB/s.
I’ve generally had better download speeds on my series x (up to 700mbps). Then again I have no idea what my PS5 is downloading at because they don’t tell you the speed. One could make a guesstimate looking at how much is downloaded each second or by seeing how long it takes to download a game of a certain size, but I suck at math.

edit: I have both my systems wired, but only for possible online multiplayer latency reasons. I had both my series x and ps5 on wi-fi before, but I haven’t really noticed a download speed change.

What ? you can see the DL speed on the PS5, just go to the download section/icon on the dashboard, it shows both the DL speed AND remaining time.
Performance with Microsoft download servers is a matter of pure luck. There is everything ranging from 50 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s, which is also the case on the PC. However, most of the time I achieve a download speed of around 500-600 Mbit/s on the Xbox, which is all my 5 Ghz network can handle. Walls are bad for 5 Ghz signals, and if there is steel or something, it gets even worse. Using

2.4 Ghz signals sounds more like the speed you're getting. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to force the console itself to a frequency (the PS5 has a setting for that). Maybe you can exclude the Xbox from the 2.4 Ghz network at the router? Actually, the console should switch to 5 Ghz when the signal strength is strong. Have you tried deleting the WLAN settings on Xbox and setting it up again?

Keep in mind, your maximum speed is at the most 50% of what the router manufacturer specifies: Up/Down share the band.

Just separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency/network on your router, for example, create a "RespawnX 2.4Ghz" and a "Respawn 5Ghz" and select the appropriate one on the wifi settings of your XSX

Last edited:

Hoddi

FYI, you can run Speedtest.net in the Edge browser if you want to get a better idea of your wifi speeds. Chances are your ISP is hosting a server so it will be physically closer to you.

My own Xbox gets ~200mbs while my iPhone placed on top of it gets ~500mbs. It's not the greatest in these consoles.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you have a lot of connections going.. smart home items. WiFi thermostats , washer dryer, dishwasher, smart TVs and chrome cast type devices… make sure to set your consoles and PCs as priority devices on your routers.

Speed doesn’t mean shit if you are only rocking 2 streams and if you barely turn on a console then it’s going to be set to last man on the list.

Last edited:

Allandor

Seems like they updated something in the last months. I always had a problem with Xbox consoles that they go never above 30-40 mbit/s over wifi. even if the router is really near.
Over Ethernet it is 800-900+ mbit/s.
The AVM router always tells me that the Xbox is connected with a few hundred mbit/s.
But since 1-2 months the series s got a lot faster in wifi connections. Now it is around 300-400+ mbit/s and I no longer need the powerlan adapter for downloads (funny enough, it is still needed for xb360 games, as they won't recognize the 5ghz connection ... really strange).
Have not repeated the test on my oneX so far. Might have also changed...

Btw, Playstation consoles so far have the same problem and I really don't know why. All other devices do not have these speed limits.

I guess it has something to do with processor resource limitations as wifi is a bit more resource hungry than LAN. Or just driver issues.

Last edited:

Probably your router. 9 times out of 10, with consoles, it's the router. Especially when the router is one of those shitty cheap-ass ones provided by your ISP.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I wish I could tell ya my experience. I only use hardwired connection for both my Xbox and ps5. Both are identical in their download speeds.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don’t have Series X, but with my ps5 I had a similar issue. It was full speed with Ethernet, then when I moved to my new house I went Wi-Fi and lost like 20% of my speed, but still got full speed through Ethernet. Turned out I had a cardboard box from moving close to my modem/router. It wasn’t fully blocking the line from modem/router to my ps5, but it was enough apparently. As soon as I moved the box away I got full speed again. Upon further research, apparently cardboard can be a huge internet signal block….I literally had no idea. Not sure if this helps in any way, shape, or form, but it reminded me of that and the chuckled at myself about it 🤭

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I get around 500 Mbps off of my 1Gbps connection using WiFi. I get around 960-980Mbps using Ethernet.

th4tguy

Don't have an xbox but on my PS5, the network test only reports me getting about 85 down and 35 up (wired) but when I actually view the network activity from the modem, I can see that I'm downloading games at over 800 down (Google fiber). So take whatever stats the Xbox gives you with a grain of salt.
If you have a way of monitoring your network traffic by device, that will give you a better idea of the speeds you are getting.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wifi on a fucking console?
saddam hussein Saddam GIF

Top Bottom