• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordors true ending - Grinding or Lootboxes

Kuni

Awful. Will be skipping this game entirely now. Was somewhat tempted before but no.

This year is has been awful for lootboxes with NBA 2K18 and Forza 7 and now this. Dangerous trends indeed. I fear for the hobby moving forward.

Video games had a good run. Maybe I should just play the snes classic until I'm an old man.
Yeah, it's a real shame literally every video game in 2017 is doing this. I really hated buying all of those BotW loot boxes to get the one sword I could use to beat Ganon. I also really didn't like buying all those loot boxes in Nier Automata, Persona 5, Horizon, and every other release in 2017. It is such a shame that it is literally impossible to avoid this through your purchasing habits.

Though the other reviews in the OP mentioning the Shadow Wars/final act being grindy gives credence to the commenter.
Still, 40-50 seems like an exaggeration. Of the sort that we need firmer data on.

Awful. Will be skipping this game entirely now. Was somewhat tempted before but no.

This year is has been awful for lootboxes with NBA 2K18 and Forza 7 and now this. Dangerous trends indeed. I fear for the hobby movig forward.

it'll only end when the Feds step in, and do wrist slaps

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They should redo the entire LOTR trilogy with loot boxes.

To escape Mount Doom after destroying the One Ring, you need a Legendary Eagle. You can get one if you spend 40-50 hours climbing around the mountains looking for an eagle, or you can buy a Loot Box. Without a Legendary Eagle to save you, you will burn to death in the lava streams erupting from Mount Doom. Buy a Legendary Eagle to see the true ending.*

*You need to buy two Legendary Eagles if you want to keep Sam alive too.

jem0208

I mean, is it really a grind if you enjoy playing?

If the only reason you're playing the game is to finish then I don't think you're playing games right.

The biggest issue I see with this is having some secret ending after completing the shadow wars stuff. Honestly though I somehow doubt it's all that great/important.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I am so glad I don't play western AAA games anymore. I'm happy to say I have never played a game with micro transactions.

GavinUK86

This is why I am curious if I can get lootboxes via cheatengine.

Get lootboxes, probably not, but using CE or a trainer will defintely be enough to level up orcs or give yourself unlimited money/upgrade points or whatever it uses.

Unless that highlights another problem, if you need a constant connection and using such things will be viewed as hacking the game and WB don't like that.

Going through this commenter's history.. Seems like a pleasant chap.

Don't do that.

eXistor

And I thought Shadow of Mordor was absolute bottom-tier garbage. Not even that surprised to see this is even worse. The state of the AAA industry at work folks. Shameful.

To escape Mount Doom after destroying the One Ring, you need a Legendary Eagle. You can get one if you spend 40-50 hours climbing around the mountains looking for an eagle, or you can buy a Loot Box. Without a Legendary Eagle to save you, you will burn to death in the lava streams erupting from Mount Doom. Buy a Legendary Eagle to see the true ending.*

Gooooooooooooooood stuff.

Just imagine if WB had realised they could do this when Arkham Knight came out. You can either do the boring grind they left in for riddler trophies which was required for the true ending, or buy a lootbox to get a random one.

Reviewers won't risk angering the publisher, and the people defending this need to gtfo out of gaming and stick to mobile games if they want this. Glad I'm skipping this game.

Sadly this is the truth.

Just look all the Forza 7 reviews where loot boxes and gating content in general made the game worse only deserves a side note without any real impact on the scores by most.

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
I'd be fine if this sold 0 copies and the studio closed down.

Cancer of the industry.

This was almost definitely mandated by WB, the publisher. Monolith doesn't really have any control on what their bosses want them to do. Wishing a bunch of hard-working people get fired for a decision that was almost definitely made by higher-ups in suits is kind of gross, tbh.

Got any links? I can't find anything that follows what you're saying about leveling Orcs to legendary or epic.

So those challenges provide gold? Because you need gold to buy legendary and epic orcs. Miriam doesnt fly.

Yup. Daily and community challenges give gold, not Miriam.

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-gold-guide/

So it's silly to rush the end game, just play a little every day as was intended.

Interesting to note that loot box rewards are tied to your level. So buying anything early game is a waste.

Marcel

Just imagine if WB had realised they could do this when Arkham Knight came out. You can either do the boring grind they left in for riddler trophies which was required for the true ending, or buy a lootbox to get a random one.

You gotta feel bad for the people who actually did that Riddler trophy busywork to get a weak as hell ending that wasn't worth all the running around you had to do which sounds not dissimilar to what they have you doing in Shadow of War.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member

Cancer of the industry.

No. The people making these decisions are the ones who should be punished. The people in the dev teams are just doing their job.

ultron87

Sure seems like a good idea to play as much as you enjoy and then just watch the true ending on YouTube. Just like with Arkham Knight.

Maximus P

Cancer of the industry.

So you'd be OK if EA closed down for having a pay to win game mode in ultimate team? How about rockstar for having an online mode in GTA that you can pay to prevent grinding.(which will probably be the same in RDR2) . How about Nintendo for locking content behind toys?

I'm not saying this is right but let's not overreact.

drotahorror

It's almost like they wanted an end game for their game. Any action RPG with end game content is usually a grind.

Do you like to kill orcs? Do you want to keep killing orcs after the main campaign is over? Here's some shit to do after you 'beat' the game with a special ending.

It's quite shocking how people didn't expect an end game to be grindy for an action-RPG. This has been standard stuff for the genre since the 90's.

sublimit

Banned
Its reviewing better then Mordor.

Of course it is.

0e0.gif

(just replace EA with WB)

adj_noun

Can I buy a Legendary Eagle at the beginning and just fly to Mount Doom

It's almost like they wanted an end game for their game. Any action RPG with end game content is usually a grind.

Do you like to kill orcs? Do you want to keep killing orcs after the main campaign is over? Here's some shit to do after you 'beat' the game with a special ending.

If there was no "special ending", I wonder how different the feedback would be? It seems that most are upset about the idea of grinding for that "reward".

Yup. Daily and community challenges give gold, not Miriam.

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-gold-guide/

So it's silly to rush the end game, just play a little every day as was intended.

Interesting to note that loot box rewards are tied to your level. So buying anything early game is a waste.

I'm glad Gameradar is coming out with these guides to explain everything. Lootboxes tied to your level is odd, but that definitely discourages you from buying any loot boxes until the end game.

If there was no "special ending", I wonder how different the feedback would be? It seems that most are upset about the idea of grinding for that "reward".
I like that there's actually something to grind for in the post-game. Gives a reason to keep hopping in to play beyond just itching the orc killing scratch.

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
0e0.gif

(just replace EA with WB)

tbh I don't think it's moneyhats, at least not entirely

I think there are reviewers that ultimately decided this kind of microtransaction shit ultimately didn't hurt their overall enjoyment of the game

Not saying that's a reasonable justification, I just don't think the answer to why a game with questionable practices got good reviews is always "because money" all the time like everyone seems to think.

Top Bottom