• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Erdtree 'The First and Last' Elden Ring DLC, FromSoftware Boss Hidetaka Miyazaki Confirms

Draugoth

Gold Member
shadow-of-the-erdtree-e-o-primeiro-e-ultimo-dlc-para-elden-ring-107242.webp

FromSoftware boss Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed that Shadow of the Erdtree will be the only expansion released for beloved role-playing game Elden Ring.

As reported by GamesRadar, Miyazaki told Chinese publication Zhihu that, unlike previous FromSoftware titles such as Dark Souls 3, the developer plans to release just one chunk of downloadable content for Elden Ring due to the nature of its open world.

"[Shadow of the Erdtree] is the first and last DLC, and we have no plans to add more content to Elden Ring,"

Miyazaki said, via machine translation.

via IGN

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Isn’t the world of the DLC to be almost as big as the one from the main game? How much content would one want for a single game? Everyone who starts with Elden Ring DLC having not played the main game is looking at around 200 hours play time. If you are not burnt out by then there is something wrong with you.

rm082e

That seemed obvious when it was announced it was $40. That tends to imply it's a substantial chunk of content - more akin to an expansion (20+ hours) than a DLC (4-8 hours).

I pre-purchased. Need to load the game back up and get back into the groove before it launches.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Isn’t the world of the DLC to be almost as big as the one from the main game? How much content would one want for a single game? Everyone who starts with Elden Ring DLC having not played the main game is looking at around 200 hours play time. If you are not burnt out by then there is something wrong with you.
As far as I'm aware, they said it'd be as big as Limgrave, the first region in the game.

Last edited:

Zheph

Who is doing a run of it before this drops? any builds ideas? they likely patched a few things since launch

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Everyone who starts with Elden Ring DLC having not played the main game is looking at around 200 hours play time.
8dHliop.jpeg

It took me 172 hrs to beat NG, complete all of the quests (except one) and unlock all endings (except one). We don't know how big this DLC is, but judging by its price it is substantially bigger than anything From released for Souls games, maybe combined.
I think we're looking at at least 240 hrs (if not more) here without NG+.

Last edited:

Thief1987

8dHliop.jpeg

It took me 172 hrs to beat NG, complete all of the quests (except one) and unlock all endings (except one). We don't know how big this DLC is, but judging by its price it is substantially bigger than anything From released for Souls games, maybe combined.
I think we're looking at at least 240 hrs (if not more) here without NG+.
Platinumed it at 80, have no idea what even to do there for 100 hours more.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You sure? That would not be a lot given that they ask 40 bucks for the DLC.
That's what Miyazaki said.

“It's hard to answer without giving away too much and to a high degree of accuracy, but if you think in terms of scale or size, it's probably comparable, if not larger, than the area of Limgrave from the base game.”

But he said nothing about the sub-regions or the density of the dungeons and the like.

ER was too much of a good thing for me, even the base game. Might pick up DLC on deep sale when my Souls appetite is back in a couple years lol

Fake

Platinumed it at 80, have no idea what even to do there for 100 hours more.

There are more than trophy itens in this game WTF.

Loads of itens, skills and max hp bonus with probably can help you in the DLC, not to mention others endings.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
From Software death simulators are getting kinda old. But tbh, would like to see them do a Hellraiser game in the same vein

Clive Barker Film GIF by Arrow Video

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who is doing a run of it before this drops? any builds ideas? they likely patched a few things since launch
I might. Would love to give it a replay but the game is so damn long that I don't know if I'll have the willpower lol.

I saw the London Royal Orchestra play the music to this on Sunday at the Royal Albert Hall and immediately went back to my second play through in time for the DLC. Still the best game of all time in my opinion.

Bartski

Gold Member
High hopes for the new scaling system as I want to continue playing with my level ~230 monster and be challenged.

Orbital2060

Ive completed the game three times on one save, around 300 hours played. Got my dude hanging out in the game post final boss battle, and Im not sure whether to start a fourth cycle or continue in the cleared ng2+ world. DLC for the souls games have tended to be considerably tougher than the original game.

Švejk

Still playing DD2, haven't gotten to Rebirth yet, and Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 coming this year... These open worlds are killing me.. I need to play them all. Who knows when/if I ever get to this.

Not surprised. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but even I would agree that the team should probably move onto something else for a bit. I can't imagine working on the same thing for 8 years without suffering from burnout.

Armored Core was a breath of fresh air. I'd like them to return back to the shorter games that they can publish every 2-3 years.

shadow-of-the-erdtree-e-o-primeiro-e-ultimo-dlc-para-elden-ring-107242.webp

FromSoftware boss Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed that Shadow of the Erdtree will be the only expansion released for beloved role-playing game Elden Ring.

As reported by GamesRadar, Miyazaki told Chinese publication Zhihu that, unlike previous FromSoftware titles such as Dark Souls 3, the developer plans to release just one chunk of downloadable content for Elden Ring due to the nature of its open world.

Miyazaki said, via machine translation.

via IGN
I feel like this was already known. It took two years to make this DLC, which is longer than many full games, and now it's completed they're obviously moving on to their next games.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
No need to bloat it.

We all want the next FS game more than just dlc for ER anyway.

Last edited:

ssringo

I prepped a magic build with Dark Moon Greatsword. Did everything main game prior to Maliketh and left my character sitting at the start of Mohgwyn Palace. I'll pick it it back up a week before DLC launches to finish clearing and get back in the swing. Figured it'd be better to have a mostly prepped save well in advance that waiting.

iHaunter

This was pretty clear to me. You dont take almost 2.5 years to make DLC for a single player game and then continue. They want to move to the next project.
They already have been. Doesn't take the full team to make DLC after almost 3 years.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I may not have finished the base game (just have Maliketh and then the finale), but Mohg is long dead and Im just chillin in his boss area waiting to get access.

The release date is creepin up!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
After the Ringed City’s NG+++ attempt, DLC end bosses on anything beyond NG+ will probably wreck any high level character or have some super meaty health bar. I made a new character for this DLC. I want to get them to 150 or so before it comes out. My level 200 NG+3 will probably get wrecked.

They already moved on to Bloodborne 2. Sony working on Bloodborne movie, PlayStation working on Bloodborne remake then we're getting BB2 from FROM software.
That’s a lovely dream Alice. :)

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah they don't tend to keep on the same projects for long. Probably are already en route for the next one. I'm totally cool with them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Already put 500+ hour in to the based game and I'm gonna put many hours in DLC, I'm already satisfied amount content we go with Elden Ring.

Now give me Armored Core VI expansion and Sekiro 2......thank you.

Last edited:

Akuji

i havent played much elden ring yet. but liked what ive seen so far.
Have the collectors edition sitting in my house and the collectors for erdtree is ordered as well.
Hope the PS5 Pro will push the game to locked 60, then i will play it in my home theatre.
Playing on Projector with imperfect frame pacing sucks.

Orbital2060

After the Ringed City’s NG+++ attempt, DLC end bosses on anything beyond NG+ will probably wreck any high level character or have some super meaty health bar. I made a new character for this DLC. I want to get them to 150 or so before it comes out. My level 200 NG+3 will probably get wrecked.
Youre probably right, but Im gonna try anyway.

I just wish the choice of ending would carry over to the DLC content somehow, like how Melina threatens to carry out destined death on the player if they chose to become the lord of the frenzied flame. I thought that was the best ending, in terms of setting up a plot for DLC with Melina as one of the bosses.

Quite frankly, this makes me want to play the base game again.
I'm gonna load up my save from last summer with my 70 hour build, and maybe with some hindsight and a little bit of luck I'll be able to take down that damn Cathedral knight to get into the City so I can unlock access to the DLC.

Top Bottom