• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

Stuart360

oh
Here we go. More calling the hero the villain. Such a weird modern thing to do.
She wasn't in control at that point, and did she actually murder them? Or did Hulk save the day in that instance?

She-Hulk doesn't have backlash. It's just incel, insecure pathetic men that aren't really men that are backlashing against it.

Remove the retarded warriors and the average for She-Hulk is positive.
YP4KGrP.jpg

And on a site that doesn't involve retarded warriors.
bdbGCJS.jpg
You cant just remove the ratings you dont like. The hate for the show is all over the net.
Lets see how how future episodes do viewer wise shall we.

sol_bad

You cant just remove the ratings you dont like. The hate for the show is all over the net.
Lets see how how future episodes do viewer wise shall we.

I removed the 10's and the 1's because they are stupid. The ratings between 2 and 9 average between 1,000 and 3,000 reviews. Then the 1's and 10's have 10,000+, so dumb.

Last edited:
oh
Here we go. More calling the hero the villain. Such a weird modern thing to do.
She wasn't in control at that point, and did she actually murder them? Or did Hulk save the day in that instance?
But she was in control, as evidenced by her annoyance at Hulk attempting to calm her down as if he was speaking to a child. Hulk saving the day doesn't change the fact that she tried to murder those guys.

This is Murder Hobo levels of protagonist morality.

Last edited:

sol_bad

But she was in control, as evidenced by her annoyance at Hulk attempting to calm her down as if he was speaking to a child. Hulk saving the day doesn't change the fact that she tried to murder those guys.

She wasn't in control until the next day.

RCU005

Hate characters that in one day are able to accomplish stuff that an equivalent character takes years to develop.

This is stupid! Did you miss the part where she doesn't have an alter ego and Hulk says that they will skip the 10 year struggle part in the binder?

Also, did you not realize that the first episode was a flashback and time was never specified?

On the other topics:
- Of course it's a show targeted mostly at women since it's made by a woman for women by design. The main character is also a woman so what do people expect? Have her go drink beer with her buddies while watching football?
- People need to remember that the Hulk in the show is Smart Hulk with the full conscience of Banner. Of course he is not going to act crazy and powerful. Remember when they arrived at New York in 2012 in endgame and he couldn't destroy the taxi?

This time, I don't see anything wrong with the show, but people really love twisting things to their own agenda I guess.

Hugare

This is stupid! Did you miss the part where she doesn't have an alter ego and Hulk says that they will skip the 10 year struggle part in the binder?

Also, did you not realize that the first episode was a flashback and time was never specified?

On the other topics:
- Of course it's a show targeted mostly at women since it's made by a woman for women by design. The main character is also a woman so what do people expect? Have her go drink beer with her buddies while watching football?
- People need to remember that the Hulk in the show is Smart Hulk with the full conscience of Banner. Of course he is not going to act crazy and powerful. Remember when they arrived at New York in 2012 in endgame and he couldn't destroy the taxi?

This time, I don't see anything wrong with the show, but people really love twisting things to their own agenda I guess.
What are you trying to say by stating that the first episode was a flashback? That we dont know how much time she spent developing her skills?

Be it one week or a month, at the end she was as strong, agile and as good as Hulk in pretty much everything.

And we know she didnt spend much time there, because she was anxious to go back to her job. Few weeks tops, probably only for a few days.

- I dont have a problem with the show targeting women. I just think that having a Mary Sue character makes the whole thing unrealistic, not relatable and ruins Hulk character arch.
- About the Smart Hulk part: what does it have to do with anything that I'm saying?

I dont have an agenda. I just hate characters that are as good as the ones that have been doing this shit for years because Marvel wants to make females characters powerful at the cost of character development.

Just like in Thor Ragnarok, where Jane Foster got Mjolnir for a week and got as good in battle as Thor.

My 61 years old mom thinks the same way, and you can bet your ass that she doesnt have any "anti-feminism" agenda.

Last edited:

sol_bad

?I dont have an agenda. I just hate characters that are as good as the ones that have been doing this shit for years because Marvel wants to make females characters powerful at the cost of character development.

Just like in Thor Ragnarok, where Jane Foster got Mjolnir for a week and got as good in battle as Thor.

Who gives a shit, watching a new hero come to grips with their new found powers for half the run time is boring and it's overplayed.

But maybe you should see how the narrative plays out? Maybe the first ep is setting her up for failure to teach her a lesson.

Outlier

They are doing a good job of making She-Hulk out to be a villain, disguised as a virtuous strong independent woman, who can't be held accountable, because she's a victim of first world problem "micro aggressions".

At least I HOPE that's what they're doing here and not actually trying to make her seem like a good person.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They are doing a good job of making She-Hulk out to be a villain, disguised as a virtuous strong independent woman, who can't be held accountable, because she's a victim of first world problem "micro aggressions".

At least I HOPE that's what they're doing here and not actually trying to make her seem like a good person.
Is that the impression you get from this movie?

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
But maybe you should see how the narrative plays out? Maybe the first ep is setting her up for failure to teach her a lesson.
The show doesn't even make an attempt to call her out on her shitty behavior. That's why this whole backlash is happening in the first place. It's played completely straight so the audience believes we're meant to take her seriously too.

I don't think she's a villain, but she is an unlikable egotistical jerk and basically a man-hater. You're right, maybe she learns that it's wrong to disregard men over the course of the show. The first episode doesn't set that up very well as explained before. I'm also not sure why people would keep watching a show featuring a main character without any redeeming qualities. You said you don't like the training arc for super heroes. That's fair. To me this is the becoming a normal well-adjusted person arc, which is definitely worse.

But hey, maybe we need a show in which women learn to trust men. Surely that's what this will end up being, right?

FireFly

She looked to be in "rage mode" for the first few moments of that transformation, and later commented that her memories only settled in "now".

jason10mm

Gold Member
But hey, maybe we need a show in which women learn to trust men. Surely that's what this will end up being, right?
Imma gonna guess that she learns that if she is physically powerful enough, she can just dismiss men entirely.

I'm curious about the ratings for this show. There is a lot of talk about "expanding the audience" with outreach to women and minority groups from what is always labelled a "White boys genre" but I think D+ is gonna have to realize that women, by and large, either like the traditional "masculine men fighting" aspect or they will NEVER care for capeshit AT ALL. Ms. Marvel was pretty low rated, right? Super hero comic books are largely romance novels for males, at least the american versions, and trying to drag it over to appeal to women is kinda like taking a sappy high school rom com about acapella singing and adding random scenes of ultra-violence, hardcore female nudity, and Nascar in an attempt to bring men in to watch it. I think it was Bill Burr who accurately called out women for clamoring for a WNBA league and then NOT SHOWING UP TO SUPPORT IT. I feel like this is the same thing here.

Note, this is NOT saying there is no place for female characters in super hero comics, FAR FROM IT. It is just the tone of feminist ideology, overall themes of conflict resolution, and the level of interpersonal relationship versus external plot driven "gotta get the bad guy" dynamics have to be taken into account and female characters written accordingly. Just like male characters in a bodice-ripper romance novel don't act like Jack Reacher/James Bond/James Reece, female characters in this genre can't act like Elle Woods, Anastasia Steele, or whomever from Nora Roberts. No, no, no, women aren't resigned to the kitchen and the bedroom (I can already guess which posters would make that counter argument), but they need to express different ideals in order to successfully operate in this overwhelmingly male space.

Walking this line, something like 2006's "My Super Ex-girlfriend", is extremely difficult. I'd even argue that "Hancock" deals with themes men are less interested in within this genre, and both were middling, though Hancock did pretty well financially.

sol_bad

Yep, really enjoyed episode 2 as well.

I was not expecting her to lose her job straight away like that.
And I liked the downtime with her family and the phone conversation with Bruce.

*EDIT*
I don't think this show should have been advertised as a sitcom though. It's very light hearted and has funny scenes and jokes but I wouldn't consider it a sitcom.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yep, really enjoyed episode 2 as well.

I was not expecting her to lose her job straight away like that.
And I liked the downtime with her family and the phone conversation with Bruce.

I think folks assumed she was going to quit her job as assistant district attorney and go work for GKL&H because "she's better than that job because woman" or something like that LMBO

sol_bad

chato's nuts on with praise and criticisms

Damn, this guy caught on pretty quickly how to make money off anti-woke propaganda.
Six to twelve months ago he was doing videos on Apple and RV's getting about 2k views per video, sometimes less. Then he makes a random video about Amazon's woke Rings of Power and bang he gets 135k views. Then he starts putting "woke" in his video titles and starts reviewing "woke" shows and movies. Now his videos get 20k, 40k, 80k and 100k+ views.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Damn, this guy caught on pretty quickly how to make money off anti-woke propaganda.
Six to twelve months ago he was doing videos on Apple and RV's getting about 2k views per video, sometimes less. Then he makes a random video about Amazon's woke Rings of Power and bang he gets 135k views. Then he starts putting "woke" in his video titles and starts reviewing "woke" shows and movies. Now his videos get 20k, 40k, 80k and 100k+ view
so.. not a thing in that whole video is worth considering, even when he things half the show is good...just a response to attempt to discredit him for being a youtube commentator..
LOL
You'll love this one then since its actually constructive as well

sol_bad

so.. not a thing in that whole video is worth considering, even when he things half the show is good...just a response to attempt to discredit him for being a youtube commentator..
LOL
You'll love this one then since its actually constructive as well

I watched it, I don't think his changes are required as I have no issue with the original scene.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Not sure where that angle on it is coming from, but in the comics she's shot and Bruce is the only one there with the correct blood type.

Again, that wouldn't work in either modern comics or the MCU as no doctor would allow the Hulk to give blood to someone el

I watched it, I don't think his changes are required as I have no issue with the original scene.
yet you try to discredit him not his concerns with issues in the show like a marketing team?
so.. is there any criticism, from anyone, about this show that you agree with or accept as reasonable but you don't feel compelled to try to marginalize?

sol_bad

yet you try to discredit him not his concerns with issues in the show like a marketing team?
so.. is there any criticism, from anyone, about this show that you agree with or accept as reasonable but you don't feel compelled to try to marginalize?

I'll agree with people saying the last scene in episode 1 was poorly edited. That's about all I can fault it with so far.

I like the tone, the style, the dialogue, I'm happy with the CGI, I like the story so far, I like the character interactions.

Ulysses 31

Not sure where that angle on it is coming from, but in the comics she's shot and Bruce is the only one there with the correct blood type.

Again, that wouldn't work in either modern comics or the MCU as no doctor would allow the Hulk to give blood to someone else.
But Bruce doesn't wait for a doctor for help in the source material (at least the one I know of), he breaks into a doctor's home and performs the blood transfusion himself. So saying that couldn't happen in the MCU is strange.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Another really fun episode. Series is good so far and I appreciate that it doesn't waste your time. Was surprised to see you know who in ep2. I really don't get all the bad reviews and hate. I guess people are taking this shit too seriously?

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
But Bruce doesn't go to a doctor for help in the source material (at least the one I know of), he breaks into a doctor's home and performs the blood transfusion himself. So saying that couldn't happen in the MCU is strange.
vyzzn93.jpg

I don't have first run but this is summary page in the sensational she-hulk #1 from 89

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Whining about getting a job because you have special skills is dumb. Also believable.....like "men won't aske me out because I am too beautiful."

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
im guessing that was a summary of savage issue one..but i can't confirm heh.. but ya I was agreeing with you bruce does it himself is cannon in the Comics and wasn't a necessary change, but it just might being used as a possible setup to get hulk back to space.

Fans " How'd Hulk get back to space?"
Marvel " Well thats explained in SheHulk Season 1! Click here to subscribe to Disney+ and find out how!"
Totally the Stan Lee way

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
im guessing that was a summary of savage issue one..but i can't confirm heh.. but ya I was agreeing with you bruce does it himself is cannon in the Comics and wasn't a necessary change, but it just might being used as a possible setup to get hulk back to space.

Fans " How'd Hulk get back to space?"
Marvel " Well thats explained in SheHulk Season 1! Click here to subscribe to Disney+ and find out how!"
Totally the Stan Lee way

The official reason for changing the origin is that explaining the mob hit would've required more time to setup why the mob wanted her dead in what's a 30 min show.

John Bilbo

It was good there were consequences for the main character hulking in the courtroom, but I found it disappointing for her to get a new job so easily without effort.

I guess it made some sort of sense in the story, since the people who got her fired were the ones who gave her a new job also (<-- if you stop to think this it is kinda weird for her to accept the job so easily), but I think the story should have been worked out so that the main character has to ponder her options and morals more and make her decisions in a way that reinforces her character in a positive way.

As it stands now the second episode makes the main character stand out quite careless and vapid.

John Bilbo

Who gives a shit, watching a new hero come to grips with their new found powers for half the run time is boring and it's overplayed.

I think it shouldn't be boring. I think it should be compelling to see how the hero comes in terms with their powers. The individual struggle defines the character of the hero (or even the villain).

Ulysses 31

I think it shouldn't be boring. I think it should be compelling to see how the hero comes in terms with their powers. The individual struggle defines the character of the hero (or even the villain).
And it's not like with Batman where most know the origin by now, it's a hero that hasn't had much exposure in TV media or movies so far. Rushing through the origin of that seems iffy IMO.

Trunx81

Gold Member
Huge step up from the first episode, although her cgi is still pretty bad. Especially when she was holding that water glass.
Family scene also felt a bit forced, although the after credits made up for it. Great interaction with Roth, this man is a genius actor.

And I now got a crush on Jen. Damn.

Top Bottom