• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 ‘performed fine but isn’t a mass market game’, says publisher

Mista

Banned
Shenmue_III_16-1920x1080.jpg

Speaking during an earnings presentation on Tuesday, Embracer Group CEO Lars Wingefors claimed the YsNet title’s performance showed it’s not a mass market product.
Shenmue 3 is an IP and a product I love and, you know, I think financially it’s fine and I’m glad that the core fans are pleased. However, I think it’s a challenge to see this as a mass market product. This is a core niche product and I think that’s the comment I’d like to do on that game.

The long-awaited RPG sequel released for PS4 and PC via the Epic Games Store in November 2019. It appeared to get off to a difficult start, debuting at No. 17 on the UK chart and selling just 18,000 copies during its launch week in Japan.

In the UK, Shenmue 3 sold a little more than half of the previous year’s Shenmue 1 and 2 remaster at launch.

However, sales will have been skewed by Shenmue 3’s huge Kickstarter success. In 2016 the project raised over $6.3 million from 69,320 backers, making it the highest funded video game Kickstarter in history.

Divinity OS series is the perfect example of successful crowdfunding game in commercially and critically.

Good words of mouth is the main driver after crowdfunding period which Shenmue 3 has none of it.

Should be. Shenmue is one of rarest series made with real love, and players can feel that, some don't know what it is, or can't explain.

Shenmue is beautiful by essence, i will always support this game!
Take a look at Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, that's how true love and passion shaped the game.

isn’t a mass market game
Well, I could've told them that before launch.
But Shenmue was never a mass market game and it will never be one. And that's okay. It has it's core audience and fans and that's it.

Based on the CEO statement next continuation is a risky in fanancial standpoint.
That's sad to hear. I really want a conclusion to the story.
But I think it's possible we'll get a sequel. They're using UE4 which is supposed to be easy to work with, they can reuse some assets from Shemue 3 and cut back on the marketing. It could be profitable this way. It's not gonna make them roll in cash but I believe it could be profitable.

Thaedolus

Based on the CEO statement next continuation is a risky in fanancial standpoint.

The comment was that it’s “fine.” I think there’s an understanding that not every game needs to be a mass market game, and while Shenmue was originally touted as some sort of AAA system seller, there can be a world where it exists as it is: niche shitty game that suckers like me love regardless

That's sad to hear. I really want a conclusion to the story.
But I think it's possible we'll get a sequel. They're using UE4 which is supposed to be easy to work with, they can reuse some assets from Shemue 3 and cut back on the marketing. It could be profitable this way. It's not gonna make them roll in cash but I believe it could be profitable.
It's hard to justify the development cost for a game continuation that sold worse than TW101.

Isn't the publisher of the game... us gamers?

Didn't they literally say at E3 when it was announced that it couldn't be published without public funding?

lol excuses from lazy devs

Escara

Neo Member
You just crossed the line RIGHT THERE!

I love Yakuza and played them all but you can't compare it with Shenmure

I also assume that from your post you haven't played Shenmue before correct?
I tired getting into 1 and 2 when the remaster launched on Steam but the gameplay was just too antiquated I guess.
Plus I mostly mentioned Yakuza cause of the similarities in the combat and mini-games and how both are story focused.

RAIDEN1

I personally thought ShenMue 3 for all its hype was a half-baked effort that was nowhere close to part 1 and 2....

ethomaz

Banned
The is pretty good.
I’m glad it is doing financially fine.
I was surprise by the amount of content.

But hey my expectations from my first kickstart was pretty low and I ended with a game way better.

Top Bottom