• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flattie

4.4 still coming up. so close i can taste it.

it's crazy how since friday we're up almost .6 million.

It's good, but the real target needs to be >80k - as it needs to be every day until the final push if we're going to start munching into those battle system stretch goals.

Today's funding is going to be really strong. Half of the "I am Shenmue" rewards have already gone and it has only been 4 hours since the update. They'll sell out during today's funding day so that's almost ~100K in funding right there. Then we have the increased momentum and boost from the PS4 physical and fall out from Shenmue Day which should see us naturally hitting somewhere in the region of ~70K. The spotlight will be on Shenmue today as well as the news outlets return to work and hopefully publish stories about the game based on Friday.

Confident we should get close to ~150K today. The magnitude of Friday really can't be overstated. In the last four days the campaign has made ~580K which is more than the previous 14 days of funding combined. Basically the most funding the campaign has made since the Shenmue mania from Sony's press conference. It's going amazingly well and the mid-campaign boost is nothing short of miraculous. The campaign should break 6 million by the end. It could hit 7 but that would require another megaton announcement like Shenmue 1 and 2 HD confirmed by Sega.

Regardless it's certain to beat Bloodstained now and become the most successful videogame Kickstarter ever. A dream come true.

Jomjom

Banned
We should all clamor for a milestone to be added for Shenmue 1 and 2 HD to be released. Like say at 7 mil or something. I feel like that would increase funding even more.

We should all clamor for a milestone to be added for Shenmue 1 and 2 HD to be released. Like say at 7 mil or something. I feel like that would increase funding even more.

I don't want any of the money going towards the first games. Sega has the means to port it themselves. Or if they're really that broke, they can set up their own Kickstarter.

epmode

Ditto. How did Star Citizen get that shit load of money and how can Yu replicate that?

He can't replicate it. Star Citizen was a special case, uniquely suited to crowdfunding. A few points:

Space sims used to be big money. Easily one of the most popular genres around. GAF isn't big on old PC games but it's worth knowing that Wing Commander 4 was released about 19 years ago with a budget of $10M. That was ridiculous for the time. Space sims sold well and those fans are still around.

While I love Shenmue, its legacy lives on in all sorts of other games. QTEs, meandering open world design with a focus on atmosphere, etc. Space sims, on the other hand, were entirely dead for a decade before Star Citizen appeared. And what an appearance! Shenmue's campaign would be doing even better if they launched with a video like this:

http://youtu.be/RlIWJlz6-Eg

Star Citizen's funding model lends itself well to multiple add-on purchases. Selling individual ships to an older, underserved fanbase with a lot of disposable income was a great move. There's no way they'd be anywhere near $85M without a money sink like that. Collect em all! I can't think of a way for Shenmue to do something similar.

painey

It is baffling that you people STILL do not understand that Shenmue belongs to SEGA and that NOTHING Yu Suzuki can do can get 1+2 re-released.

Boke1879

Peter Sjöstrand;171075026 said:
Sega would be crazy to not capitalize on this and release the HD-remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2, especially if they're already finished as the rumors suggest.

They really do need to do this. By the way hopefully we hit 4.4 million at some point today.

danwarb

That's up to SEGA. Shenmue 1&2 in the manner the recent Nights and JSR digital releases isn't unlikely. Nothing fancy, maybe proper wide screen support.

Skeff

It is baffling that you people STILL do not understand that Shenmue belongs to SEGA and that NOTHING Yu Suzuki can do can get 1+2 re-released.

Well, except for make it look like Sega could make a profit from re-releasing them. And then Sega would make a business decision to release them.

Edit: though your right in the sense yu can't add it in as a milestone.

master15

Sega would be crazy to not capitalize on this and release the HD-remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2, especially if they're already finished as the rumors suggest.

Imagine what a remaster could potentially look like -

qxHQxou.jpg

QkNuu3Z.jpg

kKkTa18.jpg

If they are, they look nothing like GAF wants them to look like. I remember that one post where someone wanted new textures, models and effects.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect more than barebones ports.

If they are, they look nothing like GAF wants them to look like. I remember that one post where someone wanted new textures, models and effects.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect more than barebones ports.

Probably referring to my post. I very much so expect barebones releases, but we are allowed to dream. Just looking at the Xbox Shenmue 2, there are things they should do to plus up the first game. Lighting and water were both enhanced there (I know everyone hates the bloom, but the shadows were improved too). Ryo's textures were improved. Even on the Dreamcast S2 all NPCs had proper lip sync. Those are all fairly minor things that should be done. I, of course, don't expect Sega to do any of those. And then there is more advanced stuff they could do as well, but those things are a far away dream.

They need to redo the stretch goals.

After 5mm is dead.

Add 90 more I am shenmue.

Stretch goals that are 200-400k apart feels like the sweet spot, psychologically.

I'm telling you, alternate costumes needs to happen. Should be a relatively undemanding thing to add that most people appreciate. There's even a tonne of concept art for Shenhua with new costume ideas. And who wouldn't want to get sentimental and have Ryo run around China in a Hazuki Dojo gi?

Quocia

Neo Member
I'm telling you, alternate costumes needs to happen. Should be a relatively undemanding thing to add that most people appreciate. There's even a tonne of concept art for Shenhua with new costume ideas. And who wouldn't want to get sentimental and have Ryo run around China in a Hazuki Dojo gi?

The only thing we have for now about that is :
Q32;Can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki? It would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want. A; There's a function to change Ryo's jacket for backers pledging above $250. Customizing for other clothes are under consideration.

To all 100USD backers. Would you consider upgrade your pledge near the end of campaign? If that so, to which tier and why?

I'm thinking upgrade to 160 because t-shirt but 175 tier with the artbook seems like a great deal.

Or maybe, pledge 150 and only get the physical ps4 game :p

Spaghetti

some of you really need to consider that artbook tier. i don't think shenmue's art has ever been collected in a book like that. it'd definitely a first, and pretty exclusive considering it's for KS backers.

Flandy

some of you really need to consider that artbook tier. i don't think shenmue's art has ever been collected in a book like that. it'd definitely a first, and pretty exclusive considering it's for KS backers.

It'd be a lot eaiser to consider if they gave us the page count. Is it gonna be a flimsy 40 page thing or 200+

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member

There was a super limited art book they made around the release of the game. Hard to track down now, a signed one sold one eBay last month for $270.

ShenmueArtbook1.jpg

Wow I didn't expect the KS to hit 4.4 so soon and it's possible at any moment. This is giving me hope that Shenmue III can really shatter expectations when it hit that wall just a week ago. This is awesome. Battle Event, here we come!

Has this guy made another game after shenmue 2? Is he still capable of making a good game after all these years? This seems like all hype to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom