• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 shatters Kickstarter Game records ; $2 million achieved in 8 hours

Shadders

The money is to make a proof of concept in order to get more money to make the actual game. It's a little odd, but there's a still a chance after spending the 2 million that the game never gets made.

As I said in one of the other threads earlier:

I backed this during the conference last night. Making this the 7th Kickstarter project I've backed.

I just had a look through my previous pledges, over $300 on 6 projects and not one of them has delivered anything.

I've put $185 behind Shenmue, but I'm feeling I should be learning from my past mistakes.

If my record is anything to go by then Shenmue 3 is never coming out.

A Kickstarter reaching its funding target is in no way an indicator that the game will come out.

kabel

To be fair, I expected a lot more :/
I mean, it seems like a lot of people are willing to buy 100$+ rewards. But in the end, it's still 25k people :/
If each of them translated to a sale, that would be weak :/
I mean in KS standards, that's amazing, but... I can't help to feel like it's Shenmue 3, aka one of the most believed and anticipated title :/

Just chill! Most people here in Europe didn't watch the Sony presser because it was at 3AM.
When they get home from work in a few hours and see the good news they will give some money too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't have money this month and can't use Kickstarter, or else I would kickstart

I think those being picky with numbers need to look at sales of Kickstarted games, they always sell more once out rather than when being Kickstarted. Kickstarter uses a very picky payment system that doesn't work globally, many people refuse to kickstart games and just wait for the finished project, among many other things. Usually those that fund released Kickstarter Projects are a very small minority of final game sales.

Not to mention those numbers are people who donated in the first 9 hours, many around the world probably don't even know about it yet, as those in other countries are just beginning to wake up or won't be able to check the internet until later today.

Cool, one month to end, I wonder if +6 million is possible. Congrats to all of us waiting for years and years, finally is here.

As long as the game is awesome.

Can't wait to find more sailors, collect more toys, drive more forklifts, feed a kitten again, and finally kick Lan Di's ass.

IpsoFacto

od5otqmitn3g.gif

Celebrating with awkward 90's animated dancing.

dolabla

I never played Shemue on Dreamcast or Xbox (and I owned both), so I'm most definitely looking forward to jumping into the series. Glad it got funded.

They actually need to have more high end tiers because there are definitely more than 4 people willing to give 10k to this.

30K Pledge: Real Stone Mirror (Dragon)
30K Pledge: Real Stone Mirror (Phoenix)
50K Pledge: Racing Forklift
100K Pledge: Ryo's (friend's) motorcycle
200K Pledge: Tom's hotdog truck.
1M Pledge: Hazuki Dojo.
2M Pledge: Beat up a Japanese Actor pretending to be Fuku-San anytime you want for a year.

Considering that a ton of people hasnt played Shenmue, they should prob make Shenmue 1&2 Remaster. Put it on PC and PS4 as a digital download.

Weird they decided not Xbox One though seeing as Shenmue 1&2 was on there. Maybe theyll add it at a later date.

2M Pledge: Beat up a Japanese Actor pretending to be Fuku-San anytime you want for a year.

Perfect.

Dusk Golem

What time did this Kickstarter officially start? I counted 8 hours and 45 minutes as the time it took to reach 2 million.

I'll stop spiting hairs here. CONGRATS YU!!!!

My time is based off of the Kickstarter ending time, which is based on when the Kickstarter goes live. The time recorded by the Kickstarter page was 6:51 PM PST, and the Kickstarter passed $2 million at 3:34 AM PST.

jfoul

This is awesome, and I hope it turns out great. In ten years maybe we'll see Kojima resurrect MGS in similar fashion.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I secretly do hope there are suits in Sega with egg in their faces.

trOOly

Neo Member
If they add a Shenmue remaster option, I'm definitely backing it up. I played it with my cousin when I was 8 years old, so I don't recall much of the game and I don't want to ruin my childhood experience watching Let's Plays on YouTube.

Square Enix is giving us the opportunity of (re-)live the Final Fantasy 7 experience. Here's hoping Shenmue and Shenmue II have the same opportunity.

Light_Wav3

Neo Member

I backed this during the conference last night. Making this the 7th Kickstarter project I've backed.

I just had a look through my previous pledges, over $300 on 6 projects and not one of them has delivered anything.

I've put $185 behind Shenmue, but I'm feeling I should be learning from my past mistakes.

A Kickstarter reaching its funding target is in no way an indicator that the game will come out.

So even after it reached $2mil in 9 hours there is still a possibility it won't come out? That's a bummer :(. Well I'll still back it and hope for the best.

Dusk Golem

What projects have you been funding? Most all projects I've funded have released their games already, others are pretty constant in updating and/or have actives betas/alphas going on.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I have not read the other thread is Sega involved at all with this i.e. getting a cut or publishing?

10Mill incoming. :D

Enosh

I'm still worried about what kind of example this sends

well I guess at least some fans are really happy

Danneee

Why didn't sony fund it themselves? Seems odd to have Mr. Suzuki come up and present a kickstarter.

Kickstart to measure interest then fund the rest if it's deemed a good investment I guess. So the full budget is probably a bit more than $2 million.

Summoner

I thought the first 2 games cost tens of tens of millions of dollars. How does 2 mil fund another installment? Something doesn't add up here.

Yoda

That is a very enticing 2M pledge.

djjinx2

It will be interesting how all this pans out, how much is already done?, how much help is Sony putting in?, Just cash or devs as well?

A game of Shemnue stature, complete with bustling world and mini games/arcades etc would take A lot longer than 2 years no?

My time is based off of the Kickstarter ending time, which is based on when the Kickstarter goes live. The time recorded by the Kickstarter page was 6:51 PM PST, and the Kickstarter passed $2 million at 3:34 AM PST.

Ah thanks, exact time would be 8 hours and 43 minutes on the dot. Still a mighty impressive number.

And for the record, the fastest kickstarters to reach a million:

jNGUKuB.png

I'm pretty sure Shenmue hit its million dollar target in under an hour, which may put it behind the Pebble Time on this list. Though this chart is also a little outdated as it doesn't list Bloodstained.

ZoddGutts

To be fair, I expected a lot more :/
I mean, it seems like a lot of people are willing to buy 100$+ rewards. But in the end, it's still 25k people :/
If each of them translated to a sale, that would be weak :/
I mean in KS standards, that's amazing, but... I can't help to feel like it's Shenmue 3, aka one of the most believed and anticipated title :/

Don't know if your just a troll or you don't know what your talking about.

They only need another $50m to actually make it now.

Yes, this.

They just have to find the 30m more they need now!

Lets be honest, 2 million aint gonna be anywhere near enough to fund it..

Sony and whoever else is obviously already making the game. Everybody that donated probably just put a little money towards the future marketing campaign.

I really wonder :

- If they should have asked outright for more.
- What a 2m$ Shenmue 3 would look like.

And with this, that op-ed about how big Kickstarters are obfuscating actual cost of development seems all the more correct. (http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8624665/big-indie-kickstarters-are-killing-actual-indies). Even though this is not a perfect analysis by any means (someone already tore the math to pieces), it does kinda show that it's very hard to judge exactly what Kickstarter funds are used for and how much is necessary.

Basically, like people have stated in this thread: most "Big Indie" type titles already have the majority of the funding they need, but not enough to fully take off. Kickstarter is a way to lessen the risk for developers and publishers, while at the same time being marketing and a gauge of interest. Kickstarter funds ≠ development budget except for the smallest indie type projects. Not for Double Fine, not for Bloodstained, Pillars of Eternity, Yooka Lailee etc. That said, I don't think it's 100% a cynical cash grab either. There's a reason Shenmue 3 hasn't gotten off the ground for a decade, and there's a reason why it's happening now

I've never pledge anything higher than the "get a digital copy"-tier on any projects I've backed (Veronica Mars, Pathologic, That Dragon Cancer, Bloodstained, Shenmue 3). And for me that feels like a fair deal. I basically just pre-order a game I want before it's out of development, and while there is a risk that it never gets released, there's also the fact that most of these projects legitimately would not be made without Kickstarter (even if the Kickstarter is only a fraction of development costs).

How much do the Yakuza games cost to make. Guess Shenmue will cost about the same considering they got a similiair art design and are both sand box.

Top Bottom