• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Spaghetti

12622199_932544280157893_1682528412695750917_o.jpg

12495955_932544326824555_167646300837251245_o.jpg

12491783_932544366824551_918567521848422281_o.jpg

Just updating the thread seeing how it hasn't had a post in 2016 yet!

Kamek

Just brought up my old Dreamcast from the basement, along with Shenmue. Tried to see if it would turn on, and it did. I feel like with this impending snow storm in NYC, playing Shenmue for the first time in 10+ years would be pretty awesome. Got a shiny new VMU and everything.

Spaghetti

Just brought up my old Dreamcast from the basement, along with Shenmue. Tried to see if it would turn on, and it did. I feel like with this impending snow storm in NYC, playing Shenmue for the first time in 10+ years would be pretty awesome. Got a shiny new VMU and everything.
Perfect conditions to play it tbh. I always get the itch to play Shenmue again when it gets frosty.

That sounds like a great weekend.

Spaghetti

Just thought I'd relay some information about reward fulfillment from the Shenmue Dojo, thanks to the poster Yokosuka.

(A replay from the KS team on the subject of shipping taxes for rewards going to Greece)
I'm afraid that Shipping specifics are currently not yet available, however, we understand your situation, and more importantly, Fangamer, who will be handling the rewards fulfillment, understands your situation. They are experienced in dealing with European customers like yourself, and have ensured us they will do all that they can to keep costs down, because taxes are such a concern.

Nice to know Fangamer are in charge of rewards fulfillment. Least that's out of Awesome Japan's hands, though increasingly it does highlight how much of a weak link they are in the process of the entire Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

Aha, nice shirts!.

E3 this year, we're going to get an announcement that Shenmue 1/2 remasters are in the works, right?

I don't care if it's a Kickstarter project, make it happen!.

My Forklift shirt arrived a couple of days ago.
Nice cut, decent quality, I'm happy for the price.
There's a 3-for-2 offer on atm, nice chance to scoop them all*
(*Except the 'pre-order' shirt, which have mostly all gone now it seems)

Speaking of remasters, the affinity chart and character stats you get (location found, times active, etc) in Xenoblade is something I always wanted a remake of Shenmue to have.
I also pictured a live map (on the bottom screen of the 3DS remake I wanted) which showed characters moving in real-time. Clicking on them would've bought up who it was and their Passport bio and text of your previous conversation.
For reasons like this I'd prefer a remake rather than 'just' a remaster (though I'd LOVE that too of course).
I think the games are a few features away from being perfect, but I fear all a remaster would do is fix the controls and alter the aspect ratio.

So we finally have a new entry in the tragically small Ryo Hazuki ‘series’ (*cough*) of games!

IMG_2717_zpsujfvzd5d.jpg

(I know Sega Racing Transformed PC should technically be there too, but I’m console only. Boo.)

Project X Zone 2!
Ryo even features on the cover where he belongs amongst other (lesser) gaming icons.

Anybody else playing it?
I’ve only used Ryo briefly for a couple of chapters so far but it’s already been full of great moments.
Monolith Soft have definitely done everybody’s favourite capsule toy enthusiast proud.
He has a chapter dedicated to him and his in-game quest to retrieve the Phoenix Mirror from M.Bison and I’ve already been called a schoolboy numerous times, offered a glass of milk, invited people to the Game You arcade, recited the heaven and earth prophecy and noticed references to Iwao, Nozomi and a bunch of other stuff.
All of his moves are taken directly from Shenmue too and look amazing.

WVW69i56DFMPXQP9A4

WVW69i56Au0VoeIFJH

WVW69i5zfrAyqZlnlI
:'(
WVW69i584dgXre1E_s

WVW69i56s6wN5fC2YJ

WVW69i57VxIyJqPjyg

oh and of course (from the OT) sailors!

3d5DHpr.jpg

uDLDRUR.jpg

There’s a new arrangement of the main theme too which plays whenever Ryo fights and sounds great:

https://youtu.be/TQPm_frCP7k?list=PLpeu5UWssrIcOE-3m9Wf74Je7JzMoH7Q0

As a Shenmue fan the game's worth it for Ryo alone but I'm having loads of fun overall, it's much improved over the first.

Spaghetti

Only a week left until our next glimpse at Shenmue 3.

According to the Magic Monaco schedule, Yu's presentation starts at 9:25AM CET and lasts for about an hour.

So that's 8:25AM GMT, 12:25AM PST, and 3:25AM EST.

ajim

Only a week left until our next glimpse at Shenmue 3.

According to the Magic Monaco schedule, Yu's presentation starts at 9:25AM CET and lasts for about an hour.

So that's 8:25AM GMT, 12:25AM PST, and 3:25AM EST.
Yeah dude.cant wait. I saw Cedric's post on Twitter.

Man these are stupidly exciting times.

While id like for them to show some footage. I think they should hold off until E3 to pull out the big guns. Hopefully, we see some character models.

Cant wait either way :)

openrob

I cannot wait for the 27th. Because, amongst all the discussion and debates about the game, the kickstarter and it's development - when I see footage, or hear music (ohh the music!)I KNOW I this game is going to be special to me.

Especially the music.

Ok found it haha
Love the Da Yuan Apartments theme in this video

Spaghetti

While id like for them to show some footage. I think they should hold off until E3 to pull out the big guns. Hopefully, we see some character models.

Cant wait either way :)
There's going to be some video, but don't expect a highly produced trailer until next year. I think it'll be a "flying tour" of Bailu Village.

openrob

Hey, do you think it is worth creating a thread for any new information we might get from Monaco over the next day or 2?

CcI3mARUcAA9UDZ.jpg

Spaghetti

Hey, do you think it is worth creating a thread for any new information we might get from Monaco over the next day or 2?
Yeah, Monaco is meant to be the biggest batch of info about the game we've had at one time since the E3 unveiling.

I was planning on making one like an hour before the event is due to start (7:25AM GMT), then updating the OP when all the info is out there, or maybe just waiting until a few screens have been shown before making the thread.

miku

Just read the Red Bull interview

What does Suzuki mean by this?

"In terms of the story, a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2, so Ryo's feelings of revenge have remained unchanged," Suzuki says. "As Ryo did in Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III, maturing as he encounters different people through his martial arts training."

It sounds like there will be a short timeskip between II and III if I am reading it correctly.

Spaghetti

Just read the Red Bull interview

What does Suzuki mean by this?

"In terms of the story, a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2, so Ryo's feelings of revenge have remained unchanged," Suzuki says. "As Ryo did in Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III, maturing as he encounters different people through his martial arts training."

It sounds like there will be a short timeskip between II and III if I am reading it correctly.
Nobody is really sure what exactly Yu meant. It might just be something that was lost in translation.

There's also a theory that the start of Shenmue 3 will be the Guilin section of 2, which would make sense to reintroduce Ryo and Shenhua instead of following straight on from 2's cliffhanger ending.

Spaghetti

We're less than $15,000 away from $6.6 million. The China crowdfunding option has been a huge help to the campaign over the last week.

messiaen

My Dreamcast is on its way out, I think. Have the graphical glitches been fixed on NullDC for Shenmue?

I play both games every year in the late spring/early summer months.

Top Bottom