• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

BY2K

Membero Americo
It looks like someone took Shenmue 2 and made one of those "What if X was made in Unreal Engine 4?" videos. :(

border

Character models and animation looks really rough. Environments are okay, but lighting and effects seem very limited.

It really does feel like a modern version of a Dreamcast/PS2 game.......in the same way that Yooka Laylee looked like a modern version of an N64 game.

gogogow

This must be still very early. Lighting and environment looks fine. Ryo imo looks good. Shenhua is not Shenhua, she needs a complete overhaul. She looks like a generic NPC. That other big dude looks like a creepy doll.

traveler

Not Wario
The faces could work as a stylized depiction if there were more life to the animation. I initially saw the screenshots in the thread and thought they looked ok, but they definitely come across lifeless in the trailer.

This looks terrible lol. Year of dreams content continues to suck.

The Last Guardian is one the best games of the generation!

Vespa

Yeah, Faces. But there's magic here.

rLXgrzC.png

I REALLY don't like those character models. They're so off putting I honestly wouldn't want to play the game if they end up looking like that.

IrishNinja

jesus y'all, this is early - shenmue 1 & 2 raised the bar on motion capture/facial animation, the world around them is the meat here. we're not getting this game tomorrow, it's not gonna with those faces haha

Remake, not remaster. Yakuza 1's remaster came out on ps3 and looks like dogshit.

HD wasn't that bad, but i'm grateful they passed on bringing it here to give us Kiwami next week, yeah

Plasma

Banned
The characters and the environment design really don't go together well. The environments all look pretty realistic with some really nice lighting but the characters just have this cartoony look that makes it look like they just don't belong there.

jose1

I want to say this looks like a PS2 game but with modern lighting and stuff, but I'm pretty sure that characters were more expressive than this in the original Shenmue.

Of course this is an early demo but still, this doesn't look that good.

...I think you're not remembering how simple and low-poly PS2 games are. A PS3 can't run graphics like these, much less a PS2. Graphically, the game looks amazing already. Animations are probably not finished yet, but still, you can't expect naughty dog level animation from a low-budget game.

Diabelli

I get that it's in development and far from finished but man, the characters all look like Real Dolls that a wizard brought to life.

Music and lighting are on-point though.

I'm not sure about the lighting. Shenmue 1 still looks real (if you squint) because of its natural colours and lighting. There's a lot that I see here that is either over-contrasted (like the cave shot at the beginning), or heavy on the bloom.

You guys are expecting a AAA game on an indie budget.

I mean it's a high indie budget but yeah I think people had their expectations for this game way too high. I don't know what the staff count is but it's super tiny

Indie games can be great looking but usually when stylized.

I dont want to be that guy

but those faces dont look good...

Holy shit HIS FACE.

What's wrong with your faaaaace?

Its... weird.

Something's off

It's the eyes. They're too big on Ryo, but the bigger issues are that the sclerae are far too immaculate white, and worst of all is the lack of saccades (that's always a dealbreaker that plunges your character straight to the bottom of the uncanny valley).

Trago

I wonder if Ryo and Shenhua will stay in the Chinese countryside. I'd love to go back to the downtown area and Kowloon.

I think the motionless faces are part of the charm and reminder that this game comes from another long forgotten era. Also don't expect so much quality from what is basically an indie title.

I'm in.

FSLink

Banned
I mean I'm sure they're gonna be fixed, but lmao the facial animations is just gold.

Not sure if it was the best decision for them to show it off just yet if it's at this stage.

benzy

Besides the faces everything else looks pretty fantastic, especially for a game with limited budget. I never even expected playing a Shenmue III that looks this good.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I think the environments look pretty good so far and the potential is awesome... but yeah... those faces are rough

There's still time to pretty everything up though so I'm not too worried.

Alx

It comforts me on the idea that a low budget production can't do Shenmue justice... I didn't even play the original episodes for the graphics (I did love the virtual tourism and Virtua Fighter vibe of the gameplay), but I wonder if we want to end the saga on that note. I know people want closure (gamers and Yu Suzuki alike), but a novel or an animated short would have been more respectful of the initial ambition.

Top Bottom