• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Pretty sure they said a while ago that the character models are early at the moment and should be improved later on.

Really like the environment and the fire, they looked really good so far.

As a massive Shenmue fan I'm in on day 1 but this looks like the videogame equivalent of the Italian spiderman or if Shenmue was referenced in a TV show with a fake trailer.

It almost look like they haven't started animating faces yet...

It definitely looks like that. After watching the trailer a few times, it seems clear that the parts of the game that they're nearly done developing (the environments) look very detailed and complete. The facial animations are not done, and at this point are mostly missing. I'm sure they're hard at work on that part of the game.

Something to keep in mind, there was no voice acting in the trailer. They may be recording those voices right now, and waiting until they have the audio to match up to for creating the animations. They don't look good right now, but I still have faith a director with such a reputation for attention to detail as Yu Suzuki has, will ensure the animations reach that same level of completeness that the environments currently have.

miku

Ryo, blink once if this project is okay. Blink. Once.

Both of them blink, so it should be fine :p

OpLtHmj.gif

This "Shenmue was always bad" narrative needs to stop before I go berserk. Idk what it is with SEGA franchises and people regressing to "there was never a good game in that series".

I played the first one for the very first time earlier this year without really knowing anything about it outside of "sailor" memes and I adored every second of it. One of my favorite games of all time easily.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's clearly just an animation issue, the face model itself doesn't look bad at all I think.

People bandwagon overreacting here.

This "Shenmue was always bad" narrative needs to stop before I go berserk. Idk what it is with SEGA franchises and people regressing to "there was never a good game in that series".

I played the first one for the very first time earlier this year without really knowing anything about it outside of "sailor" memes and I adored every second of it. One of my favorite games of all time easily.

Shenmue 2 in particular is better than nearly every game ever made.

This is why you just don't show anything unless it's in a state which people will want to buy it. "Currently in development" means absolutely nothing. They would have been better off just showing some art work.

Santar

I actually think the animations of the characters actual bodies are the bigger problem. Everybody moves so stiff and robotic, it didn't look realistic at all. The marital arts lacked any ssnse of urgency or weight. Huge step down from the previous games.

Of course it's still early but I have a sneaking fear the team might be a bit in over their heads with this project, having to learn to use a new engine can take a lot of time and effort.
Way too many effects on the environments too, they just drown out the actual art with all the shaders and bloom.
Maybe they should've gone with a engine the team already had experience with instead.

I think of it as a period piece. What would happen if it was built from the ground up on an older console. If I have that frame of mind, I don't really mind the graphics.

Not like I expected Yakuza level graphics or anything.

Were those hand-to-hand scenes meant to be fake? Like in training or something?
Most likely an indication of how cut scenes are going to be.

Considering this is the FIRST footage of the game in motion, I'm not going to be harsh on it. Faces and expressions are not there but this is still a year off. I'll wait til they give an actual trailer to judge the game. Even then, I really won't care sense the setting is already taking me back.

aerts1js

holy shit, that looked terrible. One of the worst trailers i've seen in years. The faces and animation were embarrassing.

Spaghetti

Shenmue 2 in particular is better than nearly every game ever made.

This is why you just don't show anything unless it's in a state which people will want to buy it. "Currently in development" means absolutely nothing. They would have been better off just showing some art work.
So much truth in all these.

Maybe they should've gone with a engine the team already had experience with instead.
Like? There are quite a few returning team members from the original game, but there's no way they could have used the original engine if that's what you're implying.

Ydelnae

While I think people should be free to complain if they don't like what they see, I legit feel bad for the developer team after seeing all these reactions.

Axass

Those saying it's early stuff, still in development, etc. Sure, but:

1 - We can only give our opinion on what was presented to us, and this is what the devs decided to show of their game. Nobody's saying the game will surely be 100% crap, but in this teaser the animations and faces are crap level.

2 - Early is relative, considering the game was supposed to be out in late 2017 before it was delayed.

Anyway. This game looks better than most Star Ocean games and those are AAA.

It looks better than a 58 metacritic garbage tier RPG? We're set then.

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.
Why would they do it? This makes no sense.

Ryo looks kind of horrifying with that plastic skin texture. I'm sure they'll improve the character design by launch. That said, the world looks great.

ZeroD

Man the amount of posts in this thread that are just basically saying "Well, Shenmue was always bad" are pretty incredible. Kinda reminds me of what everyone was saying about Sonic before Mania.

If the post in here is true about this being shown a year ago there isn't much to worry about.

Well, this is partially there. You can sense what they're going for, and the environments and kung fu shit seems up to the task.
Main things that stick out as needing work is the faces and facial animation, and Shenhua in particular. She looks like a random NPC.
Beef dude looks straight out of Street Fighter, which is kind of weird.
I don't have the nostalgia for this series that I know some of you do as the Dreamcast was that lost year of gaming for me due to it being freshman year of college.

But taken at face value...this looks awful
I see. What you did there.

So much truth in all these.

Like? There are quite a few returning team members from the original game, but there's no way they could have used the original engine if that's what you're implying.

I think the engine that Yakuza 5 currently uses would have been the best fit for this game, if Sega was the one producing the title. But as it is, UE4 is a perfectly suited game engine for this game. The environments look fine, and UE4 can handle all of the interactive elements that the original Shenmue engine could do, plus so much more on top of that. It's really just the character model animation and models in general that look a bit rough, and that is not really an issue with UE4.

_Ryo_

It looks better than a 58 metacritic garbage tier RPG? We're set then.

Star Ocean existed before Integrity and Faithlessness. And was always AAA. And has always looked like shit beside the SNES games. Shenmue III is indie. Also the only thing wrong the the video is the lack of facial animations, and the spotlight on the faces. Everything else is gorgeous.

But it's not my job to change anyone's mind and I'm not going to try to. You dislike it. That's fair. I like it, which is just as fair.

Piers

Both of them blink, so it should be fine :p

OpLtHmj.gif

WIP or otherwise, this really isn't a good shot to show the public, let alone before the title introduction. You don't just 'finish it later' if the aim of this teaser is to encourage positivity in backers and audience rather than benefit of the doubt.

xanavi

Woof, those faces weren't ready for prime time. Maybe they should have just done environments for the trailer? Those look fine!

FelipeMGM

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

well, this is reassuring

but also doesnt make any sense, marketing speaking

EDIT: wow, your post is the #333 on the thread, what a crazy coincidence

Guys the facial animation isn't "bad".

There is no animation. Other than a loan blink or two.

It's clearly not in the game yet.

Look at Shenmue promo or passport disc. Yu likes his facial animation.

I don't expect AAA at all, but the faces look like shit.

When you don't have a huge budget but have to make a relatively big game, you have to make compromises.
I'm not saying they won't fix the faces, but people are expecting big things from this game and will nitpick something else. Is it possible to meet the sort of expectations people have on the budget they have?

Either this game will be lacking a lot of the fine touches people expect from AAA games or it will be quite short or repetitive with heavy re use of areas etc.

Spaghetti

I think the engine that Yakuza 5 currently uses would have been the best fit for this game, if Sega was the one producing the title. But as it is, UE4 is a perfectly suited game engine for this game. The environments look fine, and UE4 can handle all of the interesting elements that the original Shenmue engine could do, plus so much more on top of that. It's really just the character model animation and models in general that look a bit rough, and that is not really an issue with UE4.
5? Don't you mean 6?

Either way that's neither here nor there. The game isn't being made at SEGA, and they don't licence the engine out. UE4 was a pretty natural choice like it is for most Japanese developers who don't have the cash to build their own custom solution, or find their custom solution is sorta busted (sup' Capcom. Square Enix).

But like others have said, this is WIP. The YouTube description says as much too. I think we've all kind of forgotten what WIP actually means. Little bit like "play the beta/alpha" totally became fucking meaningless.

That said there's some stuff they shouldn't have put in. Like the bits where they literally haven't even animated the faces yet.

As for why they haven't animated the faces yet, that's... I don't know if this is a secret or not, but YSnet are apparently using face capture rigs, and there's a chance they haven't been able to get a certain actor yet. Shenhua spoke a little in one shot and it looked pretty good. No idea if it was the actress or just a test thing thrown into the video.

Top Bottom