• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on E3: 'I saw no games I would have liked to create myself'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did some of you really expect Miyamoto to say "I would have loved to create *insert generic FPS or open world game from the MS/Sony conference*"???

I'm pretty sure they'd rather him not have said 'I don't want to' and have that be that. But the Nintendo strawmen keep continue piling up in here. Just like the 'Nintendo sequels have innovation in them. Every other game sequel is the exact same' punch line from the first page.

redcrayon

Heh, I'm pretty tired of shooting people. Such a simple and basic verb. You know what game looks super interesting to me? Murdered: Soul Suspects, because action isn't the main draw, investigation and cluefinding is. Also doing it with a mouse is so easy.

Jumping is still fun because it can be used in so many different situations.

Yeah, I love investigating stuff too. Did you play Hotel Dusk/Last Window on DS? I think LA Noire was one of my most disappointing games of the gen, I was so looking forward to it but the interview mechanics just didn't work for me, nor did the ridiculous amount of forced gunplay for a quasi-realistic detective game.

test_account

XP-39C²
That was more in response to the bizarre perceived insults to shooters and Metal Gear upthread, but sure, there was plenty of awesome stuff there, and I doubt anyone could have had the time to give everything enough time to really get their head around it.

With regard to your edit, sure Bayonetta and X are just as 'mature', but they aren't Nintendo's bread and butter. They look cool though, I loved B1 and Xenoblade.
Ah ok, sorry, i didnt see the earlier talk about MGS etc. before now. Yeah, i dont think anyone actually got the chance to play and view every single game at E3. I wonder how many games that were present there.

About Bayonetta 2 and X, i agree that they look good. I just mentioned those to show that Nintendo does have some of these games too. And while maybe other publishers does have more of those mature games, i think its worth mention that they also have some variation in their portfolio. Just to take a quick example, Activision that publish Call Of Duty, they also publish games like Skylanders. But regardless of which publisher it is, its good that there are a nice variation of different games overall in the gaming industry :) From a gaming standpoint (not thinking about the financial side), i dont feel that Nintendo or any other publisher really need to change what type of games they are putting out. The way that the publishers does it now leads to a good variation in games i think.

demidar

Yeah, I love investigating stuff to. Did you play Hotel Dusk/Last Window on DS? I think LA Noire was one of my most disappointing games of the gen, I was so looking forward to it but the interview mechanics just didn't work for me, nor did the ridiculous amount of forced gunplay for a quasi-realistic detective game.

No I haven't, though I've already spoilt myself on that game's plot. I think LA Noire was more fun to watch then to play, which is actually a terrible indictment since game's were made to be more fun when played.

I'm actually interested in Murdered because it has Ace Attorney: Investigations Logic system.

I wonder if that includes Pikmin 3...

I think it's about time Miyamoto retires. He obviously has been so far removed from actually having hands on development experience and he only acts as a roadblock in the development process.

redcrayon

Ah ok, sorry, i didnt see the earlier talk about MGS etc. before now. Yeah, i dont think anyone actually got the chance to play and view every single game at E3. I wonder how many games that were present there.

About Bayonetta 2 and X, i agree that they look good. I just mentioned those to show that Nintendo does have some of these games too. And while maybe other publishers does have more of those mature games, i think its worth mention that they also have some variation in their portfolio. Just to take a quick example, Activision that publish Call Of Duty, they also publish games like Skylanders. But regardless of which publisher it is, its good that there are a nice variation of different games overall in the gaming industry :) From a gaming standpoint (not thinking about the financial side), i dont feel that Nintendo or any other publisher really need to change what type of games they are putting out. The way that the publishers does it now leads to a good variation in games i think.
Fair points, I agree with all of that.

E3 is also going to be tailored towards stuff that is exciting to watch and puts you in the thick of the action- first and third person action games are always going to be popular there, and it gives a slightly skewed view of the rest of the industry, and tends to polarise discussion a bit!

Gartooth

Not very classy of him to say that given how much innovating Nintendo as a whole has done in recent years. (talking about game design, not hardware)

saichi

when people keep saying the last new IP from Shiggy (or even Nintendo) no wonder people keep shitting on Shiggy and Nintendo

It's like Nintendo never released Wii and DS.

Penguin

when people keep saying the last new IP from Shiggy (or even Nintendo) no wonder people keep shitting on Shiggy and Nintendo

It's like Nintendo never released Wii and DS.

According to GAF, since Pikmin in 2001.. Nintendo has been on a constant cycle of the same 5 IPs (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, I guess) and done nothing else in 12 years.

Dysun

No, that is a stretch to say. It's not much of a stretch to say that he knows how many games work without having to "look under the hood" and that knowing how it works, or rather not knowing, would have little to do with his desire to have been able to create a game himself first.

You think he doesn't know how Angry Birds works?

You really compared the slew of games at E3 to Angry Birds?

PKrockin

Well that's funny because he hasn't made a game that I wish I could have played. At least not since 1995.

sucks to be you

Title Year released Console name Director Producer Designer

Mole Mania 1996 Game Boy - ✔ -
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars 1996/1997 SNES/Super Famicom - ✔ -
Pilotwings 64 1996 Nintendo 64 - - ✔[19]
Pokémon Red and Blue 1996 Game Boy - ✔ -
Kirby Super Star 1996 SNES/Super Famicom - ✔ -
Super Mario 64 1996/1997 Nintendo 64 ✔[20] ✔[20] -
Wave Race 64 1996/1997 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
Mario Kart 64 1996/1997 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
Star Fox 64 1997 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
Yoshi's Story 1997/1998 Nintendo 64 - ✔ - Supervising Producer
1080° Snowboarding 1998 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
F-Zero X 1998 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 1998 Nintendo 64 ✔[21] ✔ ✔ Director, Producer and Supervisor
F-Zero X Expansion Kit 1999 Nintendo 64DD - ✔ -
Mario Artist: Paint Studio 1999 Nintendo 64DD ✔ ✔ -
Mario Party 1999 Nintendo 64 - - - Supervisor
Super Smash Bros. 1999 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards 2000 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 2000 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
Paper Mario 2001 Nintendo 64 - ✔ -
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 2001 Game Boy Color - ✔ - Producer alongside Yoshiki Okamoto[22]
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 2001 Game Boy Color - ✔ - See above
Super Mario Advance 2001 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Wario Land 4 2001 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Luigi's Mansion 2001 GameCube - ✔ -
Wave Race: Blue Storm 2001 GameCube - ✔ -
Mario Kart: Super Circuit 2001 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Pikmin 2001 GameCube - ✔ - Created concept and game
Super Smash Bros. Melee 2001 GameCube - ✔ -
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 2002 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Doshin the Giant 2002 GameCube - ✔ -
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 2002 GameCube - ✔ -
Super Mario Sunshine 2002 GameCube - ✔ -
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 2002 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Metroid Prime 2002 GameCube - ✔ -
Star Fox Adventures 2002 GameCube - ✔ -
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2002/2003 GameCube - ✔ -
F-Zero GX 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Donkey Konga 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Pac-Man Vs. 2003 GameCube - ✔ ✔
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Kirby Air Ride 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Donkey Kong Country 2003 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Mario Kart: Double Dash 2003 GameCube - ✔ -
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 2003 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
GiFTPiA 2003 GameCube - ✔[23] - Only released in Japan
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap 2004 Game Boy Advance - ✔ - General producer [24]
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes 2004 GameCube - - - Special Thanks [25]
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 2004 GameCube - ✔ -
Pikmin 2 2004 GameCube - ✔ -
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door 2004 GameCube - ✔ -
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2004 GameCube - ✔ - General Producer
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2004 Game Boy Advance - ✔ -
Super Mario 64 DS 2004 Nintendo DS - ✔ -
Star Fox: Assault 2005 GameCube - ✔ -
Geist 2005 GameCube - ✔ -
Chibi-Robo! 2005 GameCube - ✔[26] - Senior Producer
Nintendogs 2005 Nintendo DS - ✔ - General Producer — created concept and game
Mario Kart DS 2005 Nintendo DS - ✔ -
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 2006 Nintendo DS - - - Original game design
New Super Mario Bros. 2006 Nintendo DS - - - Supervisor
Wii Sports 2006 Wii - ✔ - General Producer
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2006 GameCube/Wii - ✔ - Started as director and switched roles with Eiji Aonuma
Super Paper Mario 2007 Wii - - - Supervisor
Mario Strikers Charged 2007 Wii - - - Supervisor
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 2007 Nintendo DS - ✔ - Executive producer [27]
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 2007 Wii - - -
Super Mario Galaxy 2007 Wii - ✔ ✔ Game concept designer [1]
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2007 Wii - ✔ -
Link's Crossbow Training 2007 Wii - ✔ -
Wii Fit 2007 Wii - - ✔
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2008 Wii - - - Senior Supervisor
Mario Kart Wii 2008 Wii - ✔ - General Producer
Wii Music 2008 Wii - ✔ ✔
Punch-Out!! 2009 Wii - ✔ - Supervisor, Producer
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! 2009 Nintendo DSi (DSiWare) - - - Supervisor
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2009 Wii - ✔ - General Producer
Super Mario Galaxy 2 2010 Wii - ✔ - General Producer and Writer[28]
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2010 Wii - - - Supervisor
Nintendogs + Cats 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - -
Steel Diver 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - ✔[29]
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - -
Star Fox 64 3D 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - -
Super Mario 3D Land 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - -
Mario Kart 7 2011 Nintendo 3DS - - -
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 2011 Wii - - - General Producer
Nintendo Land 2012 Wii U - ✔ - General Producer
New Super Mario Bros. U 2012 Wii U - ✔ -
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 2013 Nintendo 3DS - ✔ -
Pikmin 3 2013 Wii U - ✔ -
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2013 Wii U - - -
Mario Kart 8 TBA Wii U - - -
Super Mario 3D World TBA Wii U - - -
The Legend of Zelda TBA Wii U - - -
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U TBA Wii U - - -
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS TBA Nintendo 3DS - - -

RedSwirl

Also, usually when people ask him what "game" from someone else he wishes he'd created, his top answer is no video game at all, but the Rubix Cube.

On pure creativity terms, I kind of have the same feeling after E3. The only PS4/Xbox One games I saw up there that I actually want to buy are MGSV, Witcher 3, and Watch_Dogs.

As for Miyamoto's recent output, the projects he's been most involved in have been Pikmin 3 and I think a piece of tour guide software for the 3DS. He's pretty much reached a point where he can let other people steer Mario, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong.

Codeblue

Miyamoto said he likes Watch Dogs.
Miyamoto said he wouldn't have liked to create any of the games he saw.
Somehow the conclusion here is that Miyamoto didn't like any of the games at E3?

I think you have to dileberately misunderstand to take this the wrong way.

Somehow the conclusion here is that Miyamoto didn't like any of the games at E3?

You'll find people doing this in most threads of the Internet.

PKrockin

After he "abandoned the hardcore" with Wii __ games and became the scapegoat for Paper Mario Sticker Star having no story it's popular to hate him I guess.

Sheroking

Well that's funny because he hasn't made a game that I wish I could have played. At least not since 1995.

That list includes half of the ten best games I've ever played. Including the very best game of all time IMO.

Miyamoto has given tons of praise at E3's past to more off the wall, unique products. This year he saw a bunch of shooters and obviously that's the farthest thing from what he wants to play or make.

No justification for a thread this large.

.JayZii

Banned
Not wanting to have created something yourself, and dismissing something as garbage are not the same thing. Put away your knives everyone.

FauX

I don't understand Miyamoto whinning about this. Nintendo hasn't made any new (relevant) IP in years.

PD. Don't mention Wii Sports please.

NotLiquid

Is Miyamoto even involved that much with games anymore besides acting as a general producer? As far as I'm aware he's been mostly just working on Pikmin 3 for so long with a small team that he hasn't had much time to do a lot else.

The guy just drifts between projects from time to time. How many games has he even actually involved himself in, or rather, what was the last big thing he was actually responsible for? And I'm not just talking about giving misinterpreted advice to Intelligent Systems for Sticker Star.

I'm sure once he gets Pikmin 3 out of the way he'll resume his promise of continuing on smaller projects and fresh new developers. The guy clearly still has ideas, but not much opportunity to use them.

I always wondered what would happen if Miyamoto took a stroll around something like the IGF.

I feel that FEZ would definitely definitely be up his alley. Although it gets incredibly cryptic, I think he'd appreciate the level-design and the use of the spin-mechanic. Although he'd probably tweak the jumping a bit :p

Sheroking

Is Miyamoto even involved that much with games anymore besides acting as a general producer? As far as I'm aware he's been mostly just working on Pikmin 3 for so long with a small team that he hasn't had much time to do a lot else.

The guy just drifts between projects from time to time. How many games has he even actually involved himself in, or rather, what was the last big thing he was actually responsible for? And I'm not just talking about giving misinterpreted advice to Intelligent Systems for Sticker Star.

I'm sure once he gets Pikmin 3 out of the way he'll resume his promise of continuing on smaller projects and fresh new developers. The guy clearly still has ideas, but not much opportunity to use them.

He may have a more direct role in Pikmin 3, but near as we know, he has his fingers in every pie at Nintendo EAD.

Has stated that he needs to badly scale back his role at Nintendo as he gets older.

Ranger X

90% of everything on show, despite plenty of new IPs, was recycled game design in shiny new graphics. So I'm not in the least bit surprised he's saying this.

My exact thoughts. The only things that did excite me on E3 this year is retro stuff like Castle Of Illusion and the new Donkey Kong. Not surprise Miyamoto isn't impressed either, there was nothing THAT awesome on the show floor this year.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand Miyamoto whinning about this. Nintendo hasn't made any new (relevant) IP in years.

PD. Don't mention Wii Sports please.

Considering we're all on NeoGAF, and are usually deep in gaming news, the ignorance people display has to be deliberate.

Even then, what you said bears no meaning to what he's saying anyway. I'd rather such ignorant and generic tired inflammatory comments stay away from places like this.

I find the willful ignorance in this thread fascinating. Scary, yet fascinating.

When there are people bashing Miyamoto for only saying that he'd personally not make all those shooters we saw at E3, then I feel something is seriously going wrong.

The Creator of this industry gives an opinion, and some on GAF twist facts, timd and space to make it appear he is an "average" developer. Calm down, count to ten, and go play games.

Blinky

The single most illogicial argument being put forth over and over in this thread is that Miyamoto IS Nintendo. He is not. He is one, very important, but just one, person who works for Nintendo. Miyamoto designed/directed Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., SMB, SMB 3, Mario 64, LoZ, and LoZ: OOT. That is his resume when it comes to being FULLY responsible for a game's creation. I do not see a whole lot of repetition there. Just major evolution and classic titles. He remains an important figure, oversees projects, helps guide young directors, etc. etc. But he is not the entirety of Nintendo so you cannot place all of their failures, successes, business decisions, on his shoulders.

Shigeru Miyamoto =/= Nintendo

But another important thing to note. And I say this with the utmost respect, because I'm a Nintendo fanboy and still love their games. Miyamoto is a 60 year old man who does not even play video games himself. He is most likely pretty out of step with the current generation of gamer's wants/needs/expectations, etc. etc. Brilliant, intelligent, creative, man. Legend in the industry. Highly revered and rightfully so. But that does not mean he "gets", or even wants to "get" the industry/market/whatever as it stands today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom