• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I just give in and buy an iPhone?

Jinzo Prime

So early this year my 5 year Samsung Galaxy s9+ finally died, and I didn't like any of the phones on the market, so I decided to buy a refurbished one in BackMarket. It was a Galaxy s20 FE and it seemed fine at first, but has had lots of problems these last few weeks.

I'm looking at all the phones on the market in the US, and I'm coming to the sad realization that the iPhone might be my best bet for a replacement. I like Android, but I need a phone that can survive my factory job and last for a while; I use a prepaid service, so no discounts for me!

I could use some advice ya'll I need a decent phone; my S20 FE is still alive, but just barely.

Fbh

Iphones are good but I dont know if sturdiness is a feature they are particularly known for (compared to other flagship phones)

Personally I've never had many issues with android. I'm still on an S8 and don't feel the need to upgrade until it dies or develops serious issues.

Haven't really been keeping up with phones too much but I remember the Pixel 7 line getting some solid reviews last year

Billbofet

For what it's worth, a Pixel may be a good buy for you. It's Android, and since it's made by Google, you get the first OS updates and are guaranteed this for several years - very similar to Apple I guess.
I have had mine going on 3 years and I feel no need to upgrade. It's been very sturdy, and still very zippy. Camera is really good as well.
Good luck!

KrakenIPA

I've heard that it's easier than it used to be to get contacts moved.
Ah, back in the day it was always the leg-work of changing your info over that was the main reason to not switch. Is it just a sim-card switch with some help at the kiosk at the mall these days?

bitbydeath

Both iOS and Android are great, but they are different which can be jarring for switching to either side. Not sure if iPhone is better at handling falls, just need a sturdy case if that is the issue.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Smaller phones weigh less, so the impact is generally lessened when you drop them. I use an iphone mini, gets the job done. Any serious reading is done on my tablet, so the phone functions as a wifi puck when away from home.

LordOfChaos

If I look at the Pixel 7 line, it /barely/ budges performance from my 5 year old XS Max which just died

That's why I just get the iPhone, cost over half a decade of support isn't that much, resale value is higher, chips are class leading at launch

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So early this year my 5 year Samsung Galaxy s9+ finally died, and I didn't like any of the phones on the market, so I decided to buy a refurbished one in BackMarket. It was a Galaxy s20 FE and it seemed fine at first, but has had lots of problems these last few weeks.

I'm looking at all the phones on the market in the US, and I'm coming to the sad realization that the iPhone might be my best bet for a replacement. I like Android, but I need a phone that can survive my factory job and last for a while; I use a prepaid service, so no discounts for me!

I could use some advice ya'll I need a decent phone; my S20 FE is still alive, but just barely.

Noooooo!!!!

Iphone are the worst phones.

Buy a Huawei

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
got my first iPhone last year in April I believe. not disappointed I use the health app a lot to see how much steps/miles I walk I probably should just get an Apple watch though. maybe get an iPhone this time and see how you like it and then when you have to upgrade phones again you'll have a better idea of which phone/OS will give you what you're looking for

Loving my iPhone, I came from the land of LG G2 to Samsung Galaxy and I dreaded the android slowdown. I don’t get that with my iPhone.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Used android for years.
it’s cool to tweak with.

If you want a superior appstore
Better games.

Emulation is also possible if you must (get a razer kishi) and altstore.

Get an iphone.. never looked back, esp if you plan buying a macbook or ipad / apple watch/ airpods. This combination is so good..

Cyberpunkd

Get a refurbished one from Apple, Backmarket or a new one but the SE model, they are great and much cheaper.

iOS is superior to Android except the tweaking parts, but if you work in a professional setting productivity is more important than side loading wallpapers and emulators.

If you have iPad, MacBook, etc. iPhone is a no brainer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is like asking if you should start getting assfucked because you feel relief after taking a dump.

No, don't buy their overpriced stuff.

P.s. great avatar:lollipop_squinting:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If you want a simple phone, then buy a cheap iphone or risk a premium one.

If you like android features, then iphone isn't going to satisfy you.
This is the best advice.

Ex android user and now on iPhone.
The iPhone is idiot proof. I should know I’m an idiot. It does lock certain things off and Apple don’t really have the openness of the android phones.
So if you want a phone that works but won’t allow you to customise things to your hearts content. Then go for Apple

If you want a phone where you can do what you want. Android lets you basically do what you want.

So up to you.
Build quality etc depends on the phone. If you have an Apple laptop etc then Go iPhone. Other wise android probably cheaper in the long run. Maybe I haven’t bought and android phone in ages.

Last edited:
The thing is that, once you get into the Apple ecosystem, it’s hard to leave. I have an iPhone, my wife has an iPhone, we have an Apple TV, Apple Watches, iPads, all our photos are on the Apple Cloud, we bought music on iTunes, we bought iOS apps. So there’s no leaving now.

Edit: But the iPhone is better in terms of performance, UI, intuitiveness.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
iPhone is definitely a fantastic phone. I've owned my 12 since the day it launched, and have yet to upgrade it. Camera is fantastic, features are ll I need and it's relatively good on battery life. I think you can pick up used 12's now on the cheaper end of the scale.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The thing is that, once you get into the Apple ecosystem, it’s hard to leave. I have an iPhone, my wife has an iPhone, we have an Apple TV, Apple Watches, iPads, all our photos are on the Apple Cloud, we bought music on iTunes, we bought iOS apps. So there’s no leaving now.
There is also this.

Also when you go with Apple the simple ease of use etc as I get older the whole it just works kind of thing out the box minimal need to fiddle with settings if preferable.

But the whole cloud thing is also on android plus you can use iCloud and Google on iOS.

Last edited:

Lasha

Get a refurbished one from Apple, Backmarket or a new one but the SE model, they are great and much cheaper.

iOS is superior to Android except the tweaking parts, but if you work in a professional setting productivity is more important than side loading wallpapers and emulators.

If you have iPad, MacBook, etc. iPhone is a no brainer.

Which productivity applications don't work on Android?

Lasha

Interconnectivity between Macbook, iPhone and iPad + iOS not slowing 9-12 months after you bought your phone.

Which productivity workloads require you to connect to a phone, tablet, and laptop at the same time?

Dunno what you mean about slowing down for Android. Apple was the one that lost a lawsuit because it was throttling the CPU for older phones.

Hoppa

I switched to iPhone when the 13 came out, had only ever used Galaxy phones since the S2 before that.

One thing I’d maybe suggest is to stay away from the pro max phones, they’re really sturdy and I love how dense it is but it is heavy af for a phone. If I’m not wearing a belt I can’t keep it in my pants pocket lol. I guess that’s the tradeoff for great battery life tho

You’ll have to adjust to having less functionality and things will feel cumbersome for a while but it feels like it’s a phone designed for people who don’t tinker and it’s idiot proof. Everything between other Apple devices/accessories work seamlessly, but I’ve seen things of Windows adding some similar iOS compatibility things soon (if not already?). My problem is I changed to iPhone and most people I know now use Androids so I don’t really benefit from FaceTime or the infamous blue text bubbles lol

nkarafo

but I need a phone that can survive my factory job and last for a while
What exactly makes iPhones more durable than Android ones?

Your problem isn't about android VS iOS, it's about durability.

Maybe you need something of this type?

shutterstock_248072389-750x450.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom