• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sir Clive Sinclair creator of the ZX Spectrum dies

What a British legend.

I have many fond memories of the 80's tinkering with my ZX Spectrum. So do I imagine do most of the UK gaming industry.

Rest easy Sir Clive!

Essential viewing:

The legend lives on!

Even Legends have a misstep!

It's every UK GAFfer's duty to watch Bandersnatch on Netflix this evening, which is an interactive love letter from Charlie Brooker to the 80's Spectrum dominance era.

And never forget his legendary taste in women.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me about Micro Men.
Bloody superb. I watched it when it first aired and then promptly watched it again.

Likewise I keep hoping someone will make a book from On the Edge the C64 behind the scenes book to counter the boring mainstream narrative that the only company that was around in the 80s was Apple.

It re
Incredibly sad. The man was a genius. My earliest gaming memories were on the ZX Spectrum. He was way ahead of his time, and deserved many more plaudits than he got. The European tech industry owes him a debt of gratitude for many reasons.

Proper good bloke. RIP.

It really hit home. So many memories of the 80s have a corresponding ZX Spectrum memory. I can remember playing Codename Matt 2 on the wonderful summer where I first fell in love with a girl from an Estate down the road.

Quick shower the Bandersnatch and Micromen B2B.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It re

It really hit home. So many memories of the 80s have a corresponding ZX Spectrum memory. I can remember playing Codename Matt 2 on the wonderful summer where I first fell in love with a girl from an Estate down the road.

Quick shower the Bandersnatch and Micromen B2B.

As you can probably tell from my name and avatar, I’m a huge Batman fan, and one of my formative memories, alongside the tv show, was playing Ocean’s Batman game on my Speccy. I adored it. And I loved that silly little box too. Never had such an emotional attachment to a gaming machine again - with maybe the exception of the Ps1l for very different reasons.

*sniff*

Rest in peace, you mad, magnificent ginger genius.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Shit.

My first gaming system was a ZX Spectrum. He made computers affordable to a lot of families who would otherwise never have been able to give them a go.

Legend.

SirTerry-T

I don't think there's many of us here in the UK and Europe who wouldn't credit Sir Clive and that humble little box of silicon for our involvement in the hobby. I certainly wouldn't be doing the job I was doing now if I hadn't waited patiently for my ZX Spectrum to arrive from Boots back in 1984. Attribute clash be damned! I loved creating art on that machine.

Another great hardware pioneer joins the great gig in the sky.

ERyWpvqXkAEuwvz.jpg

May his C5 never run out of batteries.
RIP

Last edited:

kyussman

Bit of legend,RIP.....for full disclosure,I was a C64 kid though.
They should bring back the C5...they would certainly be better than those silly fucking e-scooters.

LimanimaPT

Zx Spectrum was very popular in Portugal. My programming passion started with basic on a Spectrum making simple games. What a simple and great machine that was.
I have good memories of waiting 10 minutes for a game to load and having it to crash at the last moment.
It's not by chance that I have Chuckie Egg as my avatar...

SaucyJack

My first computer was the ZX80 with 1k of RAM which I’d bought in kit form and had to assemble. The first personal computer under £100 IIRC.

Sir Clive was a great inventor and terrible businessman. I met him at a Mensa event years back, it was a delightfully strange conversation. 🤣

RIP

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For those nostalgic of that era and others who wants to broaden their video game knowledge I highly recommend this video, the first part is about Sir Clive, truly a Legend.

Not to hijack this thread, but damn... the star feature of that video for me is the middle section about Joffa Smith. A truly lovely, talented guy who sadly passed years before his time...

So many familiar faces in that video, it really took me back. But then again my first job in the industry was at Special FX in '87 or '88! Its a long time ago.

Its crazy to me how much its all changed since then.

The truly great thing about the whole 8-bit micro era was how it opened doors of possibility for working class kids to become creatives. I guess its impossible to comprehend if you've grown up with the internet to imagine how the world was before it, especially a time when in the UK we had only had 4 TV channels to choose from! Opportunities to make something and share it with other people were thin on the ground to say the least.

And for really kickstarting it all off, making home computing genuinely affordable for everyone, thankyou Sir Clive.
Every one of us that came after, owes you.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Likewise I keep hoping someone will make a book from On the Edge the C64 behind the scenes book to counter the boring mainstream narrative that the only company that was around in the 80s was Apple.

The cool kids were on C64. Apple was too educational.

Mind you, Sinclair tragically flopped across the pond...

That system was a very UK centric ...here in Aus you had to import them at stupid rates so they were as rare as hens teeth
but when i did get to play with one it was very much a cross between a C64 and a Spectrum

RIP

farmerboy

As you can probably tell from my name and avatar, I’m a huge Batman fan, and one of my formative memories, alongside the tv show, was playing Ocean’s Batman game on my Speccy. I adored it. And I loved that silly little box too. Never had such an emotional attachment to a gaming machine again - with maybe the exception of the Ps1l for very different reasons.

*sniff*

Rest in peace, you mad, magnificent ginger genius.

Played this on the Amstrad. First game I ever "finished". Amazing times.

Mars2003

Neo Member
Had a ZX81 for christmas way back, it started smoking when switched on so I got a Speccy 16k instead (later upgraded with a 32k ram pack). Good times!

Top Bottom