• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore |OT| Launch Party (2012-still going)

Sesha

Mah hart.

I look forward to the eventual sequel though. Would love to see the story progress for characters. After seeing Double's ending, how could it not?

#SkullGirlsPresequel
#SkullGirlsForTheSequel
#SkullGirlsTrueSequel

I'd hate to see Skull Girls go the same way Mark of The Wolves did.

A Skullgirls 3rd Crescendo, Skullgirls 2 or something with all DLC characters implemented would be one of my top 10 fighters ever. If there's ever another Indiegogo I'll exceed my previous pledge manyfold.

The complete soundtrack and Digital Art Compendium are now available for sale to non-backers!

http://skullgirls.com/store/

$14.99 for the complete OST, $24.99 for the Digital Art Compendium.

We'll be releasing the DLC music on iTunes, Amazon, etc. at a later date, which will be $9.99 for the "Append" disc. So that would be cheaper if you have the soundtrack already, but if you don't, this is the cheapest way to get all the music.
That feeling when you already own the full soundtrack and digital art compendium, so you gotta wait to give LZG more money. :(

On the plus side Indivisible is right around the corner and I downloaded the updated compendium/soundtrack from humblebundle. Good on you guys for getting more music out of Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty. Some of my favorite tracks came from them and Vincent Diamante.
A Skullgirls 3rd Crescendo, Skullgirls 2 or something with all DLC characters implemented would be one of my top 10 fighters ever. If there's ever another Indiegogo I'll exceed my previous pledge manyfold.
I'd like to see a 3rd Encore with Umbrella, Dahlia and Marie featuring a canon story mode before anything else. Skullgirls 2 would be a dream scenario and I already have a fantasy 8 character roster update in mind for it. There are enough characters to fill up another three full sequels easy, but that is a lot of money, time and manpower. Someone call Notch.

Ravidrath

The Indivisible Indiegogo campaign will launch on October 5th!

Additionally, Skullgirls IGG backers will get the playable prototype early - it'll be added to your Humble Bundle page, where you got your Skullgirls digital goods.

Sesha

All these cool crowdfunding campaigns and no money.

That feeling when you already own the full soundtrack and digital art compendium, so you gotta wait to give LZG more money. :(

On the plus side Indivisible is right around the corner and I downloaded the updated compendium/soundtrack from humblebundle. Good on you guys for getting more music out of Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty. Some of my favorite tracks came from them and Vincent Diamante.

I'd like to see a 3rd Encore with Umbrella, Dahlia and Marie featuring a canon story mode before anything else. Skullgirls 2 would be a dream scenario and I already have a fantasy 8 character roster update in mind for it. There are enough characters to fill up another three full sequels easy, but that is a lot of money, time and manpower. Someone call Notch.

But I don't like those characters. :( Wait. Scratch that. I like Dahlia.

As long as I get Feng I can wait 20 years for the complete roster.

Ravidrath

Skullgirls is part of today's Humble Indie Bundle, and includes all DLC!

This also marks the launch of the Mac and Linux versions, which were ported by Humble Bundle.

Ravidrath

Whooo. Trying it out now.

edit: on the Linux version it asks for an executable

edit2: The download is only 1.5kb

Yeah, there's some kind of issue with the way the Humble Bundle port guys set up the builds, and we're working with them and Valve to resolve it now.

Sorry for the inconvenience - hopefully we'll have it resolved quickly!

Yeah, there's some kind of issue with the way the Humble Bundle port guys set up the builds, and we're working with them and Valve to resolve it now.

Sorry for the inconvenience - hopefully we'll have it resolved quickly!

No problem and I see its up now. Will the Linux build have optimization patches? Its currently running a bit worse than the Windows build.

Ravidrath

No problem and I see its up now. Will the Linux build have optimization patches? Its currently running a bit worse than the Windows build.

Uh, no idea how that would work, since Humble Bundle did the port.

What are your specs?

Any news on ps4 lobbies ;-;

After the Vita version's out, which has been quite the bear to optimize.

The lobby code is probably most of the way there, but I don't want to get hopes up again after the Vita delays. And we need to release it on three platforms simultaneously, to boot.

What are your specs?
ftE47hq.png

JeTmAn81

The lobby code is probably most of the way there, but I don't want to get hopes up again after the Vita delays. And we need to release it on three platforms simultaneously, to boot.

Thanks for continuing to work on the Vita version. As a huge consumer of fighting games on Vita I'm looking forward to it.

Ravidrath

Attention Skullgirls IGG backers!

The Indivisible playable prototype should now be available on your Humble Bundle pages!

Ravidrath

Actual quote from a Russian game distributor:

"The setting of the game is not popular for Russians. We like bears and snow, rather than anime style eastern-looking girls."

Actual quote from a Russian game distributor:

"The setting of the game is not popular for Russians. We like bears and snow, rather than anime style eastern-looking girls."
That feeling when you realize that Tex Avery, Looney Tunes and Animaniacs was anime all along. :O

TaterTots

Banned
So, a friend of mine sent me Skullgirls through Humble and I have to say it's a lot of fun. I don't know who ported it, but they did a fantastic job. My computed has Intel HD 4600 graphics and I never seen my frames go below 60. I was surprised considering my hardware.

So, a friend of mine sent me Skullgirls through Humble and I have to say it's a lot of fun. I don't know who ported it, but they did a fantastic job. My computed has Intel HD 4600 graphics and I never seen my frames go below 60. I was surprised considering my hardware.

Game can be played on toasters should be more known.

Glad your enjoying the game!

Beats

JP Voice Cast

Filia: Ayana Taketatsu
Cerebella: Toa Yukinari
Parasoul: Rie Tanaka
Peacock: Tomoka Kaneda
Ms. Fortune: Kana Hanazawa
Double: Mitsuki Nakae
Painwheel: Izumi Kitta
Valentine: Asami Imai
Squigly: Miyuki Sawashiro
Big Band: Tomokazu Sugita
Eliza: Chie Matsuura
Marie: Nao Tōyama

From here:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/133/1133870/

Not sure about Samson, Leviathan or Sekhmet though.

pizzacat

Banned

What are your specs?

Well I'll be here, waiting. Good luck. Also is the best part yet another hint for the next game bear fighter

AdaWong

I'm too shy to ask about the state of the vita port when lab zero is probably too busy with/stressed about/promoting the indivisible campaign (which is great btw) ._.

Ravidrath

I'm too shy to ask about the state of the vita port when lab zero is probably too busy with/stressed about/promoting the indivisible campaign (which is great btw) ._.

It's coming along - the game works, just a little optimization is still required.

Unfortunately, it turns out our engine's decompression and shader tech is really hard on the Vita.

Feebastic

Got this in the Humble Bundle!

As someone who sucks at every 2D fighter not named Smash, I'm really appreciating the tutorials - I only wish there were more character-specific ones, like basic combos to practice. I guess that's what shoryuken.com is for though.

Managing to beat the story mode on normal is an achievement for me. I have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go...

Feebastic

For Big Band there's not much in the way of combos - you get shown how to use his huge punch and grabs, his taunt and his supers - I guess it's meant to be on me to work out good ways to link them together?

i-Jest

It's coming along - the game works, just a little optimization is still required.

Unfortunately, it turns out our engine's decompression and shader tech is really hard on the Vita.

So your pushing the console to its limits trying to get the game to fully work?

JP Voice Cast

Filia: Ayana Taketatsu
Cerebella: Toa Yukinari
Parasoul: Rie Tanaka
Peacock: Tomoka Kaneda
Ms. Fortune: Kana Hanazawa
Double: Mitsuki Nakae
Painwheel: Izumi Kitta
Valentine: Asami Imai
Squigly: Miyuki Sawashiro
Big Band: Tomokazu Sugita
Eliza: Chie Matsuura
Marie: Nao Tōyama

From here:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/133/1133870/

Not sure about Samson, Leviathan or Sekhmet though.

been meaning to ask this why doesn't Beowulf have a Japanese VA?

i mean wrestling is a thing in japan so it doesn't make sense to keep it English only

Ravidrath

So your pushing the console to its limits trying to get the game to fully work?

Pretty much.

The programmer doing the port is good, but he's had to consult with Sony a number of times on performance optimization because a lot of the things our engine does runs against how the system works.

For example, we're hitting the CPU pretty hard for sprite decompression. And if too much of it hits at once, the framerate chugs. So we had to figure out a way to space out the decompression calls to prevent from overloading the system.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we need to know the story behind this. Right now there are three camps in my mind. Camp number one thinks an Alex fan finally lost his mind, Camp number two thinks Mike Z used IGG monies for hard drugs and Camp number three just thinks someone really hates airlines.

JeTmAn81

Pretty much.

The programmer doing the port is good, but he's had to consult with Sony a number of times on performance optimization because a lot of the things our engine does runs against how the system works.

For example, we're hitting the CPU pretty hard for sprite decompression. And if too much of it hits at once, the framerate chugs. So we had to figure out a way to space out the decompression calls to prevent from overloading the system.

Not knowing a ton about game development, I wonder how much extra space it would require to use uncompressed sprites and skip the CPU hit entirely, if that were possible. It would probably make the game too big but then perhaps there are certain frequently used assets that could be uncompressed without taking up too much space.

Ravidrath

Not knowing a ton about game development, I wonder how much extra space it would require to use uncompressed sprites and skip the CPU hit entirely, if that were possible. It would probably make the game too big but then perhaps there are certain frequently used assets that could be uncompressed without taking up too much space.

We need the compression to get things to fit into memory at all.

Skullgirls' memory shuffling is already remarkable, and is constantly streaming things in and out of memory, and keeping the essential things there all the time.

That's the only way to get six ~90 meg characters to work in the PS3's 256mb of RAM.

Top Bottom