• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls Draws Backlash Over Character Censorship Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah yes, the Dead or Alive 6 strategy of censoring itself to appeal to twitter users who were probably not going to buy the game in the first place. As well know, Dead or Alive 6 became a top best seller and totally didn't backfire on itself.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member

Ah yes, the Dead or Alive 6 strategy of censoring itself to appeal to twitter users who were probably not going to buy the game in the first place. As well know, Dead or Alive 6 became a top best seller and totally didn't backfire on itself.

I can't remember all the details, but the creator of Skullgirls got caught sending sexual messages to underage girls, then got kicked out of his own company. It's no suprise to me that the new devs want to censor everything to "make things fair."

Salz01

It’s kind of hard to tell exactly what all they are changing. I mean not just from text. Want to see the visual changes. Also don’t want steam to connect to the server before I can play the game again and see what’s there exactly before it updates.

Mr Branding

The FGC is dead. I don't care if the numbers are higher or whatever, the community is dead.
Karate Kid What GIF

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The FGC is dead. I don't care if the numbers are higher or whatever, the community is dead.

Hahaha.

Tekken 8
Street Fighter 6
Mortal Kombat 1
Guilty Gear -Strive-
The King of Fighters XV
Dragon Ball FighterZ

Totally dead because Skullgirls is getting an update to not depict Nazis, Fetishism and Blaxploitation.

Skullgirls isnt even invited to EVO 2023

captainpat

Most of these changes are just plain stupid but the one that goes over the line for me is the fact that they're removing art from the digital artbook people already paid for

Dead or Alive 6 is the best in the franchise after 4. It was the risque marketing stunt at EVO Japan 2019 that got it banned from the spotlight.

P.S. Don't care about this otaku shit or developers embarassingly trying to save face.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Skullgirls, the $1 game that keeps on giving. I don't really know who these changes are meant to placate. It feels like way-too-late damage control.

ssringo

Had already ignored the game on Steam but I guess this was a nice reminder to not support this dev/pub.

Fake

Most of these changes are just plain stupid but the one that goes over the line for me is the fact that they're removing art from the digital artbook people already paid for

I would request money back. This is very anti-consumer.

Reactions: Fuz

Ribi

"we have reflected upon past decisions regarding certain content that has undermined the many things that make Skullgirls truly unique and special."

But those things also made it unique and special??? Should we start going to art meuseums and point out artwork that we find offensive so we can destroy it?

Puscifer

Dead or Alives been dead since 4 for me, the moment 5 was revealed I was out and 6 even moreso. I totally get why 14 year kasumi in DOA 2 was problematic with DD sized tits but it's not like those characters haven't been older since 3.

But Skullgirls is bizarre, hasn't it been around since 2013? Why censor a 10 year old game?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This is retroactively applying to an old game? That's terrible. Imagine if that shit becomes widespread.
Disney has been doing it since the VHS era even.

It will eventually become widespread

I'd argue it already has, Blizzard does this to almost all their games now

Last edited:

radewagon

In a forum post, game director Charley Price said the changes would role back some of the rougher edges of Skullgirls imagery- such as the Nazi-analogue Black Egrets or the game’s sexual depiction of underage characters like Filia.

“While the Renoir family and the Black Egrets were always intended to evoke imagery from an oppressive militant regime, we felt that the way that manifested (most notably via red armbands, flags, and symbolism) was too close for comfort – especially given the unfortunate reality that some of these hate groups are still active in various respects to this day”, the statement reads.

As a result, it’s not like the Egrets would be completely reworked- according to Price’s blogpost they would instead be removing the overt references- such as the red armbands and the Nazi symbols.

Look, I know I'm going to get flack for this, but, yeah... I can see why they're doing what they are doing. When Skullgirls originally came out, the fascist designs had a pulp-like charm to them. The game was released in 2012. Obama was president and a lot of the country felt that things like racism were very much in the rear-view mirror. Including such designs at that time didn't really carry the weight that it does today. Just a few weeks ago, people with nazi flags were out in front of Disneyworld. Then there's the group of moms that want books banned quoting hitler in a newsletter of theirs. There's more, of course. Well, that's the climate of the world we are currently in and it is very different than the one that existed when Skulllgirls first released.

I know lots of people will say that this is just another way that liberal progressive woke PC values are affecting the games we play, but, IMO that's only half of the issue. Racist extremist voices have become a very real part of modern society and that reality makes what was, in the past, a fairly innocuous design choice into one that is now, retroactively, something that the devs are very much not okay with.

I don't necessarily think this is the right move, but I don't really fault them for it either. There's no real right move here if the devs are uncomfortable with the normalization of imagery that has, in time, become legitimately problematic.

ssringo

Changing stuff is one thing. Removing is something else entirely and the fact that this game did crowdfunding makes it feel even shittier.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is what happens when you hire danger hairs. Thankfully I have a physical copy from a few years back prior to all this retarded ass shit. They will never get a dime from me in the future. Fuck them.

Last edited:

Korranator

Look, I know I'm going to get flack for this, but, yeah... I can see why they're doing what they are doing. When Skullgirls originally came out, the fascist designs had a pulp-like charm to them. The game was released in 2012. Obama was president and a lot of the country felt that things like racism were very much in the rear-view mirror. Including such designs at that time didn't really carry the weight that it does today. Just a few weeks ago, people with nazi flags were out in front of Disneyworld. Then there's the group of moms that want books banned quoting hitler in a newsletter of theirs. There's more, of course. Well, that's the climate of the world we are currently in and it is very different than the one that existed when Skulllgirls first released.

I know lots of people will say that this is just another way that liberal progressive woke PC values are affecting the games we play, but, IMO that's only half of the issue. Racist extremist voices have become a very real part of modern society and that reality makes what was, in the past, a fairly innocuous design choice into one that is now, retroactively, something that the devs are very much not okay with.

I don't necessarily think this is the right move, but I don't really fault them for it either. There's no real right move here if the devs are uncomfortable with the normalization of imagery that has, in time, become legitimately problematic.

The irony here is lost on both the developer and you. The Nazis were all about censorship.

Dead or Alives been dead since 4 for me, the moment 5 was revealed I was out and 6 even moreso. I totally get why 14 year kasumi in DOA 2 was problematic with DD sized tits but it's not like those characters haven't been older since 3.

But Skullgirls is bizarre, hasn't it been around since 2013? Why censor a 10 year old game?
My GF have DD tits since 13, why is problematic a woman have boobs, they come in different sizes and shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom