• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a great idea, though it's going to be a weird time while the market works out the value of items.

Not sure why everyone is screaming slippery slope. Fuck tonne of overreactions in here.
whats the internet without a little hyperbole and overreaction?

KbgfcU.png

Is the Workshop mod size limit being removed?

It has been removed not so long ago.

Durante

If everyone with a semi popular mod starts charging for it could be a disaster.
No, that would lead to a short-term reduction in freely available mods, followed by a gradual normalization. Hardly a disaster.

Also, I feel like people critical of this are often arguing in two incompatible ways - "no one will pay for mods" and "all tiny mods will go paid". These can't both be true (and I think neither one will turn out to be accurate).

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I'm not too pleased with this. I'm all for creators getting their due, but I'm worried what this will do to actual gamers that are interested in trying out mods without the risk. I've lost count the amount of times I tried a mod out and hated it. If I have to buy it first, then that's something that will really put me off from experimenting.

Xiao Hu

I don't like the taste of it even though I would pay a few euros for big mods like Skywind. But what about the smaller ones, what about the support if the mod isn't compatible with my modlist or some gamebreaking bugs occure?

Sendou

Wow this is bad on so many levels. Sites like Nexus are going to be a wasteland as soon as everyone starts monetizing their mods. At least we still have Oblivion and Morrowind.

Oh yes that will definitely happen in the world where customers will readily shovel enormous amounts of cash into all kinds of mods, no matter the price or quality. Or in other words the kind we don't live in. Of course everyone that has ever made a mod no matter what kind will think to themselves "hey could I get money for this?" unfortunately it's not likely to be the case for 95% or more of them.

Nzyme32

Wow this is bad on so many levels. Sites like Nexus are going to be a wasteland as soon as everyone starts monetizing their mods. At least we still have Oblivion and Morrowind.

Open market though - people will only pay for what they deem is worthwhile, others will still put out free things, over priced and crap stuff fall over themselves. The initial period will be messy but once that stabilises, it could get very interesting

Durante

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with this. I'm all for creators getting their due, but I'm worried what this will do to actual gamers that are interested in trying out mods without the risk. I've lost count the amount of times I tried a mod out and hated it. If I have to buy it first, then that's something that will really put me off from experimenting.
24 hour refund period.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd buy "game changing" mods but not the stuff that adds fluff. I would gladly pay for huge expansion like mods. But on the other hams, this stuff has been offered free for years so it's going to be tough to convince me to buy into a mod.

I would've personally preferred donations as I am more likely to donate good money to free content creators than actually pay for it in the traditional sense.

Kinthalis

Banned

This, at least, is a legitimate worry.

But Steam says there is a 24 hours refund policy... so right there this undercuts the issue a bit.

I think it's going to come down to the modders being able to really detail out their mod and what it does. Having video and images like a full game site has.

Also, that 25% cut is really bad. Common. 50-50 at least!

Since Valve introduced a Pay What You Want feature, I wonder if they'll expand it and allow something like the Humble Bundle in the Steam store?

Durante

This, at least, is a legitimate worry.

But Steam says there is a 24 hours refund policy... so right there this undercuts the issue a bit.

I think it's going to come down to the modders being able to really detail out their mod and what it does. Having video and images like a full game site has.

Also, that 25% cut is really bad. Common. 50-50 at least!
Yeah, the cut is the one thing about this I really don't like. It seems exploitative.

Seems like a great idea, though it's going to be a weird time while the market works out the value of items.

Not sure why everyone is screaming slippery slope. Fuck tonne of overreactions in here.

Content creators getting some money via donations would be fine, there are plenty of high quality mods that have had a lot of effort put in that deserve a bit of money. Only being able to get certain mods by paying for them is not a good thing, though. They're non-official, non-supported (by the game developer) fan created things usually done by someone just because they enjoy doing that.The 'point' of mods was they were free fan-created additions to the game, really. If these were being officially added to the game that would be different. These are basically microtransactions being made someone other than the games developer.

Nzyme32

I would've personally preferred donations as I am more likely to donate good money to free content creators than actually pay for it in the traditional sense.

I agree up to a point. If a modder wants to create something that is regularly updating or expanding, it becomes more of a possibility to sustain and have stability for that kind of project if it is paid for rather than donations only

Plasma

Banned
11C18A138514FF629B5C2C4C3AAC816BB4E2D1A4

Skyrim's Wet & Cold has been free for years. Now they're asking people to uninstall and buy it (for $4.99).

Still free on Nexus but I wonder how long it will be before it and a lot of other mods get taken down and are only available on the workshop.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27563/?

I get that some people want to make money off this stuff but for me whenever I was making mods and levels for other games it was always a labour of love rather than something I was looking to profit on. I think a donate button would have been more apt or maybe show the creators wishlist so people could gift them games on Steam.

johntown

Banned
No, that would lead to a short-term reduction in freely available mods, followed by a gradual normalization. Hardly a disaster.

Also, I feel like people critical of this are often arguing in two incompatible ways - "no one will pay for mods" and "all tiny mods will go paid". These can't both be true (and I think neither one will turn out to be accurate).

I think people will pay for mods. I will honest and say I am a cheap but I have plenty of disposable income. If 2k Textures charged $5 for their mod I would most likely buy it but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Will you end up charging for DSfix someday if it became available through the workshop?

Shinypogs

I would have happily paid for Frostfall and Falskaar given how much enjoyment I got out of both mods and how much they genuinely change the play experience, or add content, for the user.

I mean that's why they have the 24 hours refund policy as detailed in the OP.

Refunds can be a pain in the ass based on prior experiences so I have an instant aversion to relying on that. My loss, I know, but that's probably how it will go for me. A mod will either need tons of positive feedback or be free for me to consider it.

Roshin

I can forsee some people would start selling patches to fix Bethesda usual terrible QA on future games.

It would be kinda funny if someone started selling unofficial patches in the Workshop.

I don't know what to think about all this. Yes, content creators should get paid for their work and sure, TF2 and CS:GO have done really well with paid content. It's going to be a rough ride before everything settles, though.

As for developers making mods in their free time: YES

As for any other people: NO

this could destroy modding :(
Skyrim nexus still exists, so you can still manually apply mods to the game.
I agree with a previous comment that a donate button is really all it needed.

Kinthalis

Banned
I'd buy "game changing" mods but not the stuff that adds fluff. I would gladly pay for huge expansion like mods. But on the other hams, this stuff has been offered free for years so it's going to be tough to convince me to buy into a mod.

I really think people need to look at the NWN games as an example of how this is likely to end up.

There were several "premium" mods created by members of the community in collaboration with Bioware and Obsidian. The quality, breadth and polish of those mods was in another league compared to 99% of other mods.

My guess is that most mods will remain free. There will be a mid tier, section of cheap mods with some decent content with a level of polish you would have never seen if they couldn't charge at all for them, and then there will be a top tier of mods that will be more pricey, but they will add tons of content, and that content will again, be more polished than anything else out there.

People will buy the worthwhile things, and won't buy the crap.

PhaZZe

Banned
Still free on Nexus but I wonder how long it will be before it and a lot of other mods get taken down and are only available on the workshop.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27563/?

I get that some people want to make money off this stuff but for me whenever I was making mods and levels for other games it was always a labour of love rather than something I was looking to profit on. I think a donate button would have been more apt or maybe show the creators wishlist so people could gift them games on Steam.

2.0 version its only in Steam workshop by now :(

Nzyme32

Skyrim's Wet & Cold has been free for years. Now they're asking people to uninstall and buy it (for $4.99).

You missed my edit, but yeah, I missed the part of Bethesda endorsing it. Hence me asking originally, and instead of answering you decided to be an ass about it. Thanks for the late confirmation anyway, though.

Greed / wanting to be paid is expected initially, but the acceptance of that from the market will vary depending on the content and if they can provide something more meaningful than what is free via other sources. This is going to be messy till the market stabilises and people understand it better.

Guri

Since Valve introduced a Pay What You Want feature, I wonder if they'll expand it and allow something like the Humble Bundle in the Steam store?

The main reason for that is charity donation. I would only agree if Steam tried the same.

As for the news itself, it's good that modders will get paid for their work. For instace, the restoration mod for KotOR II really makes it a new game. Sure, some will try to take advantage of it. But, like every other product, the market will react against them, so they will realise that either the price isn't right or it should be free.

Krakn3Dfx

This is all pretty concerning, and the 25% cut issue is going to mean mod designers who buy into this overpricing their work to increase their cut.

To say I have misgivings about the situation would be an understatement.

This kind of thing will ruin the mod community. Especially once we get in the waters of people using parts of other people's mods which are freely available then selling the result.

Screw this.

Nokterian

You missed my edit, but yeah, I missed the part of Bethesda endorsing it. Hence me asking originally, and instead of answering you decided to be an ass about it. Thanks for the late confirmation anyway, though.

Welp this is no good.

Durante

Will you end up charging for DSfix someday if it became available through the workshop?
No, never. I never even put any ads on my blog when it was getting massive views. But I'm a bit of a silly idealist (see also me releasing pretty much everything I ever made as open source) and I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

I think people need to try to understand what's going through the mind of creators who made something popular and free. E.g. the single most popular numbered version of DSfix has over 600k downloads. When you are a normal (not independently rich) person and you made something like that It's hard not to think of "what if I had charged just 1€ per copy".

Durante

How will this work when people use parts of another mod in their own? Or bundle them?
FAQ said:
Q. What if I see someone posting content I've created?
A. If someone has copied your work, please use the DMCA takedown notice.

Q. Can I include someone else's mod in my mod?
A. The Steam Workshop makes it easy to allocate and approve portions of your item’s revenue with other collaborators or co-authors.

A 25% cut for the creator is taking the piss.

It has been the standard for the last few years and people seem generally happy with it so far. The game's publisher has to make enough of a cut in order for them to justify allowing the community to mod their game and potentially undercut their DLC sales, so it could be a good thing if it gets companies who were previous unfriendly to modding to open up a bit more.

Sendou

My only long-term fear is that game developers will stop allowing native mod or Workshop support to protect their own DLC interests.

Well it's not like Valve invented mods with Workshop. I don't see how this changes anything on that front.

Actually it's the opposite. Now that there's a revenue source from community made mods the incentive to make games mod friendly is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom