• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword coming to NA eShop today!

Raven77

Sorry if this has been covered but I'm a little confused. Can I somehow transfer (or move online?) my save file from my Wii game to my Wii U? I really don't want to start over. Honestly I don't even remember how games were saved on the Wii, if it was a memory card i'm guessing I could just pop it in the Wii U (if it's compatible?).

Also, if I already own it on Wii, is there any benefit to downloading it off the eshop vs just popping the disc in?

PetrCobra

03818f900b65b7d76a2652xqyr.jpg

I think the Zelda Cycle is just about to be broken.

Shocked to see people still ripping on this game and motion controls. I mean the game was literally designed around motion controls, most of the puzzles and combat wouldn't even make sense with a traditional control scheme.

The handholding was annoying but I still love this game, one of the GOAT Zelda's

Volotaire

Sorry if this has been covered but I'm a little confused. Can I somehow transfer (or move online?) my save file from my Wii game to my Wii U? I really don't want to start over. Honestly I don't even remember how games were saved on the Wii, if it was a memory card i'm guessing I could just pop it in the Wii U (if it's compatible?).

Also, if I already own it on Wii, is there any benefit to downloading it off the eshop vs just popping the disc in?

If you did the Wii to Wii U file transfer (with the Pikmin transfer animation), then your Wii game save file is compatible with the digital verson of Skyward Sword.

Source.

The only change is that you can play the game on the Gamepad instead of the TV, and use the in built IR sensor on the Gamepad for the motion control input.

Of course, there is no support for traditional controls.

Vidiot

Twilight Princess but I wouldn't expect many to agree with me :(

TP is my favorite also. Easily the best dungeons in the 3d games. Plus the boss fight variety is amazing. They're easy, but even the mid dungeon boss fights feel like they could be final dungeon boss fights.

rhandino

Banned
No, people will cry foul that the game is just too open and it lacks the tight level design and focused story of Skyward Sword and changed them all for big empty fields with "nothing to do in them"

How do I know? People where already saying those things during the reveal of BoTW.

Peltz

Really sad we aren't getting an HD Remaster of this one. But I understand why with the Wii Remote requirement. It's art style would look glorious with an HD touch up.

Really sad we aren't getting an HD Remaster of this one. But I understand why with the Wii Remote requirement. It's art style would look glorious with an HD touch up.

Hey, Wii remote was Wii U compatible and if the rumors pan out it's sounding like the NX could even have a similar option. There's really no reason for them not to do an HD remaster.

JJD

On the WiiU???

Damn I think I should grab it.

Do we know if the NX will be backward compatible?

Kevtones

Only 3D Zelda I didn't finish. Just felt uneven and I didn't care for the flying stuff nor the concept of that being the world by and large.

Raven77

If you did the Wii to Wii U file transfer (with the Pikmin transfer animation), then your Wii game save file is compatible with the digital verson of Skyward Sword.

Source.

The only change is that you can play the game on the Gamepad instead of the TV, and use the in built IR sensor on the Gamepad for the motion control input.

Of course, there is no support for traditional controls.

Okay so the save file is only compatible if I use the digital version of Skyward Sword, not the disc version I have?

I don't understand what anyone sees in this game. Maybe some people just enjoy getting led around by the hand.

Exactly, it never takes the training wheels off. You are obnoxiously guided in every single way, and it's so damn slow in doing so. It's insulting, the game barely requires any sort of finesse or brainpower. The game is just boring as a result.

I wonder if Nintendo will explain their reasoning behind not doing a remaster.

You say that as if there's some sort of mystery to it.

They're not investing in Wii U development any further. They will no doubt look at a remaster down the line on NX. In the mean time, they can make money from this old ROM on Wii U.

Exactly, it never takes the training wheels off. You are obnoxiously guided in every single way, and it's so damn slow in doing so. It's insulting, the game barely requires any sort of finesse or brainpower. The game is just boring as a result.

I feel like I played a different game. It never fought for me or did any puzzles. Did it hint at things too much sometimes? Maybe, but it wasn't anywhere close to the majority of the time. I certainly didn't play through it thinking that it was playing itself and it was sure as hell not boring.

mrkgoo

I liked this game a lot, maybe even more than Wind Waker. but I'd have to replay it to be sure.

Anyone actually purchase this? Does it look any better through the WiiU? I always felt some games played better via WiiU than on Wii.

Hahaha oh you...

So far, everything is playing exactly into the Zelda cycle. We're currently in pre-release hype where every media outlet and forum proclaims it'll be the best Zelda (and best game) ever. When review time comes, most review sites will give it a 9 or 10, and a few 'hipster' outlets will give it a 7 or 8 "just for the clicks".

The first couple weeks everyone will still be riding on the hype train, calling it the greatest Zelda of all time, then after about 1 month it'll begin... The bravest souls will offer themselves up, admitting they liked Skyward Sword better. There will be backlash against them, how DARE you insult the best game ever!? But soon it'll grow from a few voices to a whole community. By month 3, the tides will have turned. "What happened to my great linear story telling from Skyward Sword?" will be the rallying cry. "The controls are garbage." "Not enough dungeons!" "It doesn't even feel like a Zelda game"

The hyperbole will build and build, media outlets will be called paid shills, and forums will ring with "Worst Zelda ever made" and "Nintendo ruined the series by trying to attract a Western audience!"

And then Nintendo will announce the next Zelda and the cycle will begin again.

There is plenty to like about this game- great music, nice hub town with a good number of side quests and some interesting environments later on. But it's still the most disappointing 3D Zelda to me and to this day the ONLY Zelda I haven't played more than once. I just can't bring myself to endure the controls and little annoyances (Fi interjections, tutorial, some artificially extended sequences to just pad the game's length).

And while I would love to play this game without the motion controls, I understand it would require too much effort and retooling so it's best to just move on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The worst Zelda I've ever finished. Motion controls were terrible. Twilight Princess on Wii was far more controllable.

Yea, I love the Zelda series and skyward sword to me is just flat out a bad and incredibly boring game. Bar none the worst Zelda title in the series. CD-I games don't count.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hahaha oh you...

So far, everything is playing exactly into the Zelda cycle. We're currently in pre-release hype where every media outlet and forum proclaims it'll be the best Zelda (and best game) ever. When review time comes, most review sites will give it a 9 or 10, and a few 'hipster' outlets will give it a 7 or 8 "just for the clicks".

The first couple weeks everyone will still be riding on the hype train, calling it the greatest Zelda of all time, then after about 1 month it'll begin... The bravest souls will offer themselves up, admitting they liked Skyward Sword better. There will be backlash against them, how DARE you insult the best game ever!? But soon it'll grow from a few voices to a whole community. By month 3, the tides will have turned. "What happened to my great linear story telling from Skyward Sword?" will be the rallying cry. "The controls are garbage." "Not enough dungeons!" "It doesn't even feel like a Zelda game"

The hyperbole will build and build, media outlets will be called paid shills, and forums will ring with "Worst Zelda ever made" and "Nintendo ruined the series by trying to attract a Western audience!"

And then Nintendo will announce the next Zelda and the cycle will begin again.

jonesshow3.JPG

Relax.

mrkgoo

For titles like these, Wii games for Wii UVC, does it actually reboot into wii mode and THEN runs the software, or just loads the software?

KingBroly

Banned
Thanks. So it doesn't boot into the wii mode that the console uses to play the physical woo discs?

More or less it does, but you never see it.

NERD did the work, embarrassing NCL's OS team in the process.

That's why they're doing the NES Mini.

mrkgoo

More or less it does, but you never see it.

NERD did the work, embarrassing NCL's OS team in the process.

That's why they're doing the NES Mini.

I see, so it DOES use that mode, but it's kind of hidden to make the experience appear like it's running straight from the wiiU?

That would be ok.

schopaia

I see, so it DOES use that mode, but it's kind of hidden to make the experience appear like it's running straight from the wiiU?

That would be ok.

No, it is fully in Wii mode. Pressing the home button brings up the wii home functions (no miiverse, browser etc)

The only thing that's different is you launch the game from Wii U home menu.

Yep, enjoyed this game upon its release. It didn't live up to all of my expectations, but it was fun. There was a good 4-5 hour adjustment period to the controls where I was definitely having doubts, but at some point (very nearly to me giving up entirely), it just kind of clicked. I had to play in a pretty cramped space at the time, as well, so I had to make probably even more minute adjustments to work it out, but once I did, I felt exactly like that guy from:

Was the same year Dark Souls came out, and having fallen in love with Dark Souls a little bit prior to getting Skyward Sword, I feel the need for concentration and precision began to feel kind of familiar once I understood what the game expected of me, motion-wise.

I did find the overworld equivalent in Skyward Sword to be noticeably a step down in terms of providing a sense of interconnected scale to the world, and the actual world design was almost TOO engaging -- it was very active and felt like I was puzzle solving to make progression nearly the entire way through the game. Seldom felt like I was kind of just exploring a living, breathing place, which was a sorely missed feeling. Didn't feel like there were Kakariko Villages or Lon Lon Ranches that, sure, did have some puzzles to solve, but kind of felt like actual inhabited places. And none of it felt very connected and cohesive because the overworld was in the sky (and pretty dang empty) and you dropped in on zones from distant points.

So yeah, the flaws came from more of the world design than from the controls themselves. I even found the story to be mostly likable, if not a bit long-winded (good Zelda-ish plot, but so much time spent going through excessive dialogue trying to, and sometimes failing to, breathe quirk and life into it all).

mrkgoo

Has anyone purchased this and can comment on how it looks?

Some games in wii mode look fantastic (metroid prime), and I haven't tried many others but typically I can't stand using wii SD in my hdtv. SD generally looks pretty horrid, VC aside.

Top Bottom