• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

maxcriden

For what it's worth, I felt like switching to 60fps mode on PS4 Pro once it was pointed out to me in this thread was transformative.

Slow-paced, yes, but I felt like the game really benefitted from the higher framerate and it significantly increased my enjoyment of the slinking around and climbing.

That is very helpful to know, thank you. I wonder if a 60 patch on XB is at all possible.

hawk2025

The game is just fun.

There's a point somewhere in level 6 or 7 where it becomes clear that you need to learn more skills and really master the controls, or you start getting frustrated. I suspect that some players will reach this point and kind of throw their hands in the air, but I really encourage people to keep trying. It's really fun and rewarding to finally solve a climbing challenge and make it to your destination.

Also, despite the above on framerate, I still plan on buying the Switch version down the road when I'm ready to play the game again. It's that good.

EDarkness

Why wouldn't they have the time trial in the NS version of the game? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's something they can patch in later if it's not there initially.

joesiv

Why wouldn't they have the time trial in the NS version of the game? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's something they can patch in later if it's not there initially.
The Switch version started late in development. Descoping features is a way to make sure you hit deadlines, especially on new hardware that you're not used to.

Hopefully they have budget to keep working on patches for the switch version post-release.

gamezone - 6/10

Another big problem I had, which I tried to not let bother me, is the HD Rumble feature of the Joy-Cons in this title. It is loud. You cannot play in a public space without drawing attention, and separating the Joy-Cons from the system and playing wirelessly only slightly helps. When I played the game at PAX East I was rocking the Pro controller which didn't seem to have this issue. Not being able to play with Joy-Cons, however, removes a lot of the appeal with getting the game on Nintendo Switch. And no, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn rumble off.

Snake Pass is a game with promise, and an indie title I really wanted to enjoy, but in an already crowded gaming season, I don't see myself returning to it once I've finished my initial playthrough, despite additional collectibles and difficulty levels to tackle. Ultimately, I wish I had gone for the PS4 version of the game. An increased frame rate I imagine would slightly improve the gameplay issues, as well as negate that pesky HD Rumble.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Well... That sucks. I was hoping I'd be able to fire it up right after dinner. It's close to 8GB, right? I guess there's a chance I'll be able to play it before bedtime, but I'm definitely disappointed about the delay.
I believe it's 3.7 or thereabouts

Poppyseed

This thread and Snake Pass's arguably broken rumble reminds me: if I ever have to sit next to anyone on a short/long distance flight playing on the Switch with rumble on, I might lose it. It's so stupidly loud.

Zafir

That review is really disappointing. I was really hoping the Switch version would be solid.

Do we know how the PC port fairs?

hydruxo

Okay the final coin on level 2 can fuck right off. Tried at least 20 times and I can never get back up to the ledge afterwards.

Recall

Lol I was planning on going for everything but I can already tell these coins would annoy me to no end with how the physics are in this game

Isn't that the appealing challenge? It would be kind of shit if you could master the game within a few hours.

The more you play the better you get and then those early coins will be easy. That's the incentive to get better and fully master the mechanics then fully 100% the game.

C'mon man, no logic allowed round these parts. Lead with your knee jerk reaction and call it joke at the end of the day.
It is stupid that the reviewer blasted it for that but the Rumble should be able to be turned off in the actual game settings.
You have that option in other games.

hydruxo

Isn't that the appealing challenge? It would be kind of shit if you could master the game within a few hours.

The more you play the better you get and then those early coins will be easy. That's the incentive to get better and fully master the mechanics then fully 100% the game.

I never said I was giving up lmao. It's just frustrating because some of the coins feel like more of a fight against the physics than they do completing a challenge.

This game is totally wonderful on PC. Not noticed any compressed audio issues so far in my set up, and it runs very very well. Locked itself at 62fps and doesn't drop except when loading a level which takes half a second.

Specs: 3440x1440, GTX 1080 OC'd, i7 6700.

imae

Sucks you can't turn it off in this game.

You can turn vibration off in OS settings, which should override the game setting. Maybe the reviewer just wasnt aware of the option?

I've found HD rumble to be quite nice on most games, just seems some games fail to implement it correctly (using full intensity too much). In the case of Snake Pass I think it's a bug with the game going by what the reviewer said.

Glix

How strange. I wonder what happened that pushed it so far back in the day, especially since I can't think of a time where this was an issue on previous eShops.

Possible last minute A bug? Although I don't know if they could have a new build ready in a few hours that seems crazy.

phanphare

Banned
It's the impletation, not the tech lol. HD rumble is cool in Splatoon2

yeah hd rumble in Splatoon 2 is the truth

I was really bummed after blaster master zero and then along comes the testfire. didn't even notice it at first (which is probably why some devs are going full blast with it) but once I did I was blown away.

Leemo

The rumble on this on the Switch is *awful*. I don't think it's HD rumble though - they're just using normal rumble effects, most of which are at full strength and just feel (and sound) bad. Which is a massive shame.

HD rumble done properly - like on Fast RMX etc - is completely different.

Top Bottom