• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So 1000 Nazis are going to march in my hometown on Monday, apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstripes

Banned
I wish we could ships the Nazis, ISIS, and all other shitty groups of hateful zealots off to a remote island so they can confront each other in person far, far away from the rest of the world, where we just want to live in peace.

RinsFury

Whatever you do don't punch them in the face. The best thing to do is sit down at the table and debate them in a civil manner, perhaps over a Heineken.

I'm always amazed that these pathetic groups of people exist. Lol.. nazi's... clueless frustrated dummies.
Like motorgangs. What a bunch of fucking losers.

The dumbest on earth mistake fear for respect.

Good luck Op. Stay safe.

Also, small question watching those videos. Are Swedish police forces equipped to deal with rioters? Because it didn't look like they were holding up in those videos.

XOMTOR

The best thing to do is for nobody to show up to their little hissy-fit parade. Everyone just ignore them; don't need to give morons like that any attention or any excuse to incite violence. Remember, you can't fight stupid.

diaspora

I want you to get me one hundred nazi scalps OP. Nazis aren't people, put those dogs down one way or another
half-kidding

XCpk8aI.jpg]

Why are all of their ties tucked into their shirts?

Are they scientologist Nazis?

JordanN

Banned
The best thing to do is for nobody to show up to their little hissy-fit parade. Everyone just ignore them; don't need to give morons like that any attention or any excuse to incite violence. Remember, you can't fight stupid.

Last time we tried to ignored Nazis, they formed an anschluss with Austria & Germany.
If anything, the public needs to know Nazis are trying to claim a space for themselves.

Thanks. I think that helps me decide what to do about the Nazis in my town this weekend. Well, I'm going to make nice donation to the SPLC and attend our rescheduled Equality rally, too.

XOMTOR

Last time we tried to ignored Nazis, they formed an anschluss with Austria & Germany.
If anything, the public needs to know Nazis are trying to claim a space for themselves.

I'm pretty sure there are enough legal checks and balances to ensure another Reich will never see the light of day. Besides there's a huge difference between being oblivious of what they stand for and not showing up at one of their silly parades. A demonstration without anyone to witness it isn't much of a demonstration after all and I'd say the blow to their egos would be the most effective counter.

I just don't think showing up with signs, shouting insults at them or hurling balloons filled with shit is going to accomplish anything other than further polarizing them. The guys in those photos appear to be the type who are looking for any excuse to start something. Let the police be the only spectators.

Jasup

I want you to get me one hundred nazi scalps OP. Nazis aren't people, put those dogs down one way or another
half-kidding

There is hope for reform too.
The one of the founders of the Finnish branch of the Nordiska Motståndsrörelsen actually left the movement few years ago, got married to a chinese woman and is now working in a project helping people in the extremist far-right to get out. He was also a candidate in the municipal elections few weeks ago for the Green party in the city of Oulu.

It's quite a change.

Orayn

I'm pretty sure there are enough legal checks and balances to ensure another Reich will never see the light of day. Besides there's a huge difference between being oblivious of what they stand for and not showing up at one of their silly parades. A demonstration without anyone to witness it isn't much of a demonstration after all and I'd say the blow to their egos would be the most effective counter.

I just don't think showing up with signs, shouting insults at them or hurling balloons filled with shit is going to accomplish anything other than further polarizing them. The guys in those photos appear to be the type who are looking for any excuse to start something. Let the police be the only spectators.

So you're saying It Can't Happen Here.

Shy

Make sure to buy a new pair of knuckle dusters OP.

And bring some speakers, so you can play this at full blast while you're doing your Nazi punching duty.

Nivash

I strongly disagree with that sentiment, actually. We forfeit our public areas to these fucks if we completely ignore them like that. Not to mention, what kind of message does this send to the people in our community that these bastards hate? We have plenty of minority people of everything from immigrant backgrounds to LGBT orientations. They're shit on by scum like this and by their more cowardly sympathisers on a daily basis. They need to see ordinary people of majority background stand up for them. They need to know that they aren't abandoned.

There is hope for reform too.
The one of the founders of the Finnish branch of the Nordiska Motståndsrörelsen actually left the movement few years ago, got married to a chinese woman and is now working in a project helping people in the extremist far-right to get out. He was also a candidate in the municipal elections few weeks ago for the Green party in the city of Oulu.

It's quite a change.

This is true too though. Far-right hate groups are toxic environments that can act similar to an addiction - not every person that ends up in them is damaged beyond repair. Some are fairly ordinary guys that ended up in a bad place along the way and needed somewhere they could feel like they belonged. Hate groups are experts at snatching guys like that up, they give them an enemy to fight and "brothers" to fight it with. The problem is, once you're in, it's like a cult. You can't leave. The people who are still in will see you as a traitor and when you consider how violent these groups are, that can be lethal.

There are special groups that work specifically to help people escape these gangs, like Exit, that do an important job with helping people who want out. .

http://exit.fryshuset.se/english/

That doesn't mean you should feel sorry for them or treat them with silk gloves, though. I still think they need to be shown strong opposition in the public space.

NEO0MJ

We have very strong protections for the right of assembly and freedom of speech. We're still debating about whether or not we should make association with ISIS illegal.

Kinda crazy. It feels that your country took the "I disagree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it" too far.

Nivash

Kinda crazy. It feels that your country took the "I disagree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it" too far.

The counter-argument is that what is and what isn't a terrorist organisation is rather subjective, and could be abused. A lot of our really strong freedom of association laws are directly derived from the need to protect left-wing organisations from government repression that emerged during the dawn of our democracy. As the law stands today, you can be convicted of any crimes you commit as part of a terrorist organisation - including funding it - but you can't be convicted of just being a member of one.

Christhor

Man, Sweden just sucks now. Used to go on vacation there every year in my youth, but I think I'm just going to stick to the superior Denmark.

I'm a pretty strong advocate for democracy and freedom for speech, but once you openly reject and fight democracy, they should also give up their rights. We need to fight these people eventually. 1000 now? How many next year? What if they actually get off their cowardly asses and do something? When does NMR qualify as a terrorist organization?

Jasup

There are special groups that work specifically to help people escape these gangs, like Exit, that do an important job with helping people who want out. .

http://exit.fryshuset.se/english/

That doesn't mean you should feel sorry for them or treat them with silk gloves, though. I still think they need to be shown strong opposition in the public space.

Of course not. Opposing such toxic ideas is very important, otherwise they would get normalized. As a society we have a responsibility to state what we think is acceptable and what isn't. Only then can we reach individuals.

Faustek

Nivash, if shit goes south I'll stitch a purple Lilly on my left breastpocket so you know it's me and give me the good drugs.

Actually a bit worried. Hoping for the best but I do believe it'll become violent. Murmurs about folks from Tjärna Änga, Avesta, Hedemora gearing up to beat NMRs ass. Hoping it's just school kids talking but at the same it's school kids and they don't need a lot to get started.. Damn if I was 25 years younger I would probably be one of those revving up as well.

caffeware

Banned
Seriously, isn't Sweden supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world with one of the best wealth distributions?

What do they want?
They can't get a girlfriend or something?

Nivash

UPDATE

So the march is over and done with. Everything went without incident. Turned out only half the expected number of Nazis showed up.

I woke up feeling like shit this morning, so I unfortunately had to bail on the counter-demonstration. It was fairly well attended from what I heard, though. Easily more people than the Nazis managed to gather.

18198521_1498575566830937_1017828944481461756_n.jpg

Oh, and we had some clowns greet the actual clowns in the Nazi march (can't image link directly unfortunately, you'll have to see the photos on Dagens Nyheter)

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/nazister-tagade-i-faluns-centrum/

Choice facts and events of the day:

- Turned out the police had gathered no less than 200-250 officers, 50 of whom had "special training" and had been flown in using a military transport plane the day before. They were clearly expecting the worst. Other efforts included helicopters, mounted officers, K9-units, drones and cameras mounted all over the place both to "prevent and prosecute", according to the police.

- Someone made a complaint to the police about hate speech from the Nazis. Probably deserved. Apparently, they chanted "give no quarter, Nordic revolution" when they marched.

- Someone may have been arrested for carrying mace, which is illegal in Sweden.

- The Nazis were met with boos and yeers by counter-demonstrators when they arrived at the main square to hold their speech. The counter-demonstration had been given a space a stones throw from the square for their manifestation, but no one appears to have thrown anything nastier than some choice words at them. Riot police formed a line between the two groups just in case.

So to recap: everything went well, but the Nazis were about twice as many as last year. Which isn't nice. But the counter-demo did gather a wide cross-section of the townsfolk and everyone behaved themselves above reproach, which is nice. Oh, and I'm bummed I missed it. Guess we'll always have next year *shudder*

NEO0MJ

Was curious how it went. So less came than expected but it was still more than the previous​ year.
When are your next major elections?

Was curious how it went. So less came than expected but it was still more than the previous​ year.
When are your next major elections?

National, municipal and regional are all at the same time every four years. Those are next year. EU Parliament is every five years, the next being 2019.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, that's like the town next to the one where I grew up (Borlänge). Sad. :( At least there was no incident.

UPDATE

So the march is over and done with. Everything went without incident. Turned out only half the expected number of Nazis showed up.

I woke up feeling like shit this morning, so I unfortunately had to bail on the counter-demonstration. It was fairly well attended from what I heard, though. Easily more people than the Nazis managed to gather.

Oh, and we had some clowns greet the actual clowns in the Nazi march (can't image link directly unfortunately, you'll have to see the photos on Dagens Nyheter)

- Turned out the police had gathered no less than 200-250 officers, 50 of whom had "special training" and had been flown in using a military transport plane the day before. They were clearly expecting the worst. Other efforts included helicopters, mounted officers, K9-units, drones and cameras mounted all over the place both to "prevent and prosecute", according to the police.

- Someone made a complaint to the police about hate speech from the Nazis. Probably deserved. Apparently, they chanted "give no quarter, Nordic revolution" when they marched.

- The Nazis were met with boos and yeers by counter-demonstrators when they arrived at the main square to hold their speech. The counter-demonstration had been given a space a stones throw from the square for their manifestation, but no one appears to have thrown anything nastier than some choice words at them. Riot police formed a line between the two groups just in case.

So to recap: everything went well, but the Nazis were about twice as many as last year. Which isn't nice. But the counter-demo did gather a wide cross-section of the townsfolk and everyone behaved themselves above reproach, which is nice. Oh, and I'm bummed I missed it. Guess we'll always have next year *shudder*

Making a complaint against Nazis for hate speech? That's so obvious I'd never even think about it, even if I lived in a place with hate speech laws. It's like complaining that Carrot Top wasn't funny.

UPDATE

Hi Nivash, at 0:15 in the video, what does the gesture the guy in the red sweatshirt giving mean? Could be just a weird thumbs down motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom