• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So few people are ‘real’ these days.

CyberPanda

Banned
Why are people so fake? There are good people out there, but it seems majority just put up a fake persona, and face. My one friend I used to talk to all the time moved overseas. Now, I messaged him on a social app to catch up, and see how he’s doing, and he blocked me. What the fuck?

So, I made a new account and re-messaged him, and asked why he blocked me, and would greatly appreciate it if he replied back, to give me a proper answer. If he blocks me again, what should I do? It really bugs me when friends do this. I had a similar experience in grade 8, while going through cancer, and it’s not a good feeling to go through again. It fucking hurts.

CyberPanda

Banned
This sucks dude, but some people are just full of shit, but good at hiding it.
I for you, would not bother with him ever again, this little fuckshit can fuck right off.
You’re right. But, I still feel gutted.

If he blocks you again, fly over there and confront him face-to-face. If he sends you away, go back, but with a disguise.

We have to get to the bottom of why he's such a weirdo.
Haha. Good plan, but I’m not spending thousands to fly across the world to confront him. Thanks for the laugh, though.

If he blocks you again move on, there's nothing to salvage from your friendship. You'll get over it.

Ironically in the age of social media fewer people than ever are interested in having genuine conversations and relationships. Many hang out with others just to show off to or take advantage of.

DESTROYA

Give them a week or two and try again if they do the same forget them, moving overseas can be rough maybe he’s having trouble settling in.
It’s still not a good excuse at all but he’s going to be like that he‘s a dick.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
He probably blocked a whole bunch of people when he moved. "Moving on with life" sorta thing. Wouldn't take it personally if you definitely never did anything to upset him.
What kind of idiocy is that though?

Tesseract

Banned
Most people are shallow in most situations and only give out the bare minimum of effort to keep stringing along an acquaintance-relationship. Sorry to hear that your friend ghosted you.

i'm not sure i'd put it this way since there's no contract that says platonic friendships must go a certain way or yer forever a monster

it does suck tho, no doubt about it

GAMETA

Banned
Someone I considered a very good friend cut ties with everyone after "coming out", we really didn't understand why, we all knew he was gay, but I don't know, maybe he just wanted to change or meet new people... I don't know..

It's sad and all man, but let it be, it's not worth to keep lingering on dark feelings, wondering if you did something wrong or if he was false all along or whatever...

Best strategy in life to things you can't change is to say "well, fuck it".

nush

Gold Member
I had to ghost a friend once, he had a super annoying drama seeking girlfriend who he then married and he was so under the thumb he would not hear even the slightest criticism about her. You could not do any friend stuff with him without the annoying wife tagging along and making everything about her.

I blocked him on everything and moved on and he reached out to me through mutual friends wanting to know why. There was no way he'd listen to "your wife's an annoying asshole" as a reason.

Cut all that drama out of my life, collateral damage of losing a friend was worth it.

He blocked you, you made the effort, he reblocked you.
Done, move on hes not a friend, you never where hes friend at the first place, hes lost not yours, see it as an opportunity.

Birdo

Banned
People can change over time.

My best friends became more and more boring over the years, to the point that I eventually stopped hanging out with them and ghosted.

Sometimes you just need a new crowd who you enjoy being around.

Banned
Why are people so fake? There are good people out there, but it seems majority just put up a fake persona, and face. My one friend I used to talk to all the time moved overseas. Now, I messaged him on a social app to catch up, and see how he’s doing, and he blocked me. What the fuck?

So, I made a new account and re-messaged him, and asked why he blocked me, and would greatly appreciate it if he replied back, to give me a proper answer. If he blocks me again, what should I do? It really bugs me when friends do this. I had a similar experience in grade 8, while going through cancer, and it’s not a good feeling to go through again. It fucking hurts.

You need therapy

Who gives a shit

-Minsc-

It's very easy to ask why. Sometimes we only get the answer when the point comes we realize we've done the same thing. As others have said before, people change and move to different stages of their life. The biggest lesson to learn is that we are not the center of others worlds. Easier said than to learn.

Most people are arses really and full of self importance.

Best thing you can do is read the body language and give the benefit of the doubt until the mask slips.

I had a few fair weathered friends in my time where at first I thought I was the problem, then after being peer pressured into a gang of people (not friends) I started to move away from those kind of people and put a guard up. If it works then taht is cool but I will drop someone if I feel that they are using me in any way shape or form.

Likewise if they can't be bothered making an effort with me as I do with them. Had someone where they wanted me to go to their house and sit in one place as they play a game or wanted me to look at them having their haircut in Town...noped out of that as he acted like everyone should be around him. Funny as some of my other friends will go out of their way to have days off with them but he will only give them a few of his previous hours before moving back down south.

Sometimes you really need to watch the body language and how they react.

Bigrx1

Banned

I think the answers are kind of basic but it doesn't mean it sucks less - people are fake to gain approval from the masses and to be accepted. It's almost always based in some sort of insecurity.

Regarding the friend, I have a saying for myself I use and that's that if I have to try too hard to be someone's friend then they aren't a friend worth having or putting effort into. I had friends like that in high school and a different set in my early 20's - just shit tier friends. Eventually just stopped trying and found real friends elsewhere, no point trying to get something from a dry well.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have almost no ability to maintain human contact with people I'm not fucking or partying with on the regular.

It's something that depresses me, but it's from how I was raised I guess. Parents never hugged me, yada yada.

It's weird because I'm fine socially at a surface to medium level; people like me, I'm the life of the party, get laid easily, and luckily am able to form close bonds with significant others.. but beyond that I have trouble taking friendships beyond acquaintance level and long-term most people eventually realize I never reach out to them, initiate contact, etc. and it pisses most people off.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not a fake person here — I would call you any name possible to your face. : P

Believe me when I say you seem like a cool person, Curry. I don’t know what’s wrong with this guy, but you don’t treat people close to you like that, unless you’re some kind of sociopath.

My knowledge of you, plus how empathically disconnected that seems, makes me think you’re better off without him.

I hope you feel better soon. From the look of it, you have a ton of friends on here, that would never treat you like that.

Pejo

Gold Member
A lot of people just don't like dealing with their feelings/issues or prefer to avoid conflict. Considering where he lives now, he probably just figures he'd never see you just out and about, so it's probably easier for him to just block and forget.

Then again, this is all just me guessing since I don't know your relationship with him. It sucks, and not having an explanation sometimes makes it worse. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do to get answers, so it's probably best to let it go.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have trouble taking friendships beyond acquaintance level and long-term most people eventually realize I never reach out to them, initiate contact, etc. and it pisses most people off.

Me too. In my case though, I’ve just been burnt too many times by investing into people, and being bitterly disappointed.

I really like a lot of people in my life, and try to show that emphatically, but there’s always that feeling of being wary, that this could all flip on a dime. So, there’s this kind of... disconnection. I won’t make myself vulnerable to people, because I know what happens.

That’s not how I ever wanted to be, but it almost seems to be a necessity. I’m open to people changing my mind, though. I think I’ve just had a really bad run of people in my life.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
You’re right. But, I still feel gutted.

Haha. Good plan, but I’m not spending thousands to fly across the world to confront him. Thanks for the laugh, though.
Don't worry, I'm sure grinchy will cover the costs.

zeioIIDX

Same sorta bullshit happened to me a while back. Used to hang with this Vietnamese dude and his girlfriend, we'd hang out often and stuff. They always showed concern for me anytime I was depressed. They seemed so genuine. One day, I noticed on Facebook that it was his birthday. I left him a nice comment on his wall, something personal and humorous. Nothing over the top. Just wished him well on his birthday. He fucking blocked me a couple minutes later. I was so confused. So I said fuck it and blocked him AND his girl. Nearly a year later, I texted both of them to ask about the situation, see what happened...because I heard through another friend that they were apparently trying to contact me. I texted them both and got back a "Who is this?" and when I explained everything, I got nothing but radio silence. I know they have the same phone number because I checked with a buddy who is still friends with the two of them. So after that, I just said screw it, called them a couple of fake cunts, and blocked their numbers. People that I considered good friends just randomly, outta the blue, wanna play fuck fuck games and I don't have time for all that.

I'm 32 and I live in fucking Mississippi. I've been away from home (Chicago) for literally 10 years as of this month. I'm homesick. I have no friends here. It's just me and my daughter and my goddamn cat. Anyway...sometimes people just do shit like that, they just ghost you or they are sorta indifferent towards your friendship with 'em. People like that aren't worth your time. I had a best friend down here a few years back. We used to chill every single weekend. We were basically brothers from another mother, we even shared birthdays. Crazy. We had deep conversations often and just generally had a great, trusting friendship. Welp...he ended up become a famous furry on YouTube and his girlfriend moved in with him (another famous furry) and after that, he always had excuses as to why we couldn't hang. "Oh, I'm sick" or "Oh, I'm editing videos like crazy this week" or "Oh, I'm visiting my girlfriend's family." or "Oh, I'm at a furry convention this weekend".

It was always something. He totally changed and let YouTube consume him, not to mention the understandable fact that he was preoccupied with his girlfriend who moved in with him. I helped this fucker get a job prior to his YouTube fame. He is autistic (you can't really tell though) and I supported him with his furry lifestyle and never judged him or made fun of him. I stuck up for him and gave him tons of shit for free (he was a huge Sonic fan, go figure). I worked on and repaired his DDR machine for free, just because he was my friend. I even spent my own money to build him a platform and a bar for his old DDR pad he used to have prior to him buying a full-blown DDR machine. Dude just said fuck it and chose YouTube and his girl over me lol. Which is fine, I'd choose my career and my love life too. But the difference is that I wouldn't cut off my best goddamn friend. He didn't even attempt to find a balance and include me. If we could've hung out once a month, I would've been happy. Ended up just blocking his number.

I really hate not having a friend. I love my solitude and I'm an introvert but I'm not fucking anti-social, I still crave adult interactions. Sorry to vent in your thread :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom