• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So few people are ‘real’ these days.

Same sorta bullshit happened to me a while back. Used to hang with this Vietnamese dude and his girlfriend, we'd hang out often and stuff. They always showed concern for me anytime I was depressed. They seemed so genuine. One day, I noticed on Facebook that it was his birthday. I left him a nice comment on his wall, something personal and humorous. Nothing over the top. Just wished him well on his birthday. He fucking blocked me a couple minutes later. I was so confused. So I said fuck it and blocked him AND his girl. Nearly a year later, I texted both of them to ask about the situation, see what happened...because I heard through another friend that they were apparently trying to contact me. I texted them both and got back a "Who is this?" and when I explained everything, I got nothing but radio silence. I know they have the same phone number because I checked with a buddy who is still friends with the two of them. So after that, I just said screw it, called them a couple of fake cunts, and blocked their numbers. People that I considered good friends just randomly, outta the blue, wanna play fuck fuck games and I don't have time for all that.

I'm 32 and I live in fucking Mississippi. I've been away from home (Chicago) for literally 10 years as of this month. I'm homesick. I have no friends here. It's just me and my daughter and my goddamn cat. Anyway...sometimes people just do shit like that, they just ghost you or they are sorta indifferent towards your friendship with 'em. People like that aren't worth your time. I had a best friend down here a few years back. We used to chill every single weekend. We were basically brothers from another mother, we even shared birthdays. Crazy. We had deep conversations often and just generally had a great, trusting friendship. Welp...he ended up become a famous furry on YouTube and his girlfriend moved in with him (another famous furry) and after that, he always had excuses as to why we couldn't hang. "Oh, I'm sick" or "Oh, I'm editing videos like crazy this week" or "Oh, I'm visiting my girlfriend's family." or "Oh, I'm at a furry convention this weekend".

It was always something. He totally changed and let YouTube consume him, not to mention the understandable fact that he was preoccupied with his girlfriend who moved in with him. I helped this fucker get a job prior to his YouTube fame. He is autistic (you can't really tell though) and I supported him with his furry lifestyle and never judged him or made fun of him. I stuck up for him and gave him tons of shit for free (he was a huge Sonic fan, go figure). I worked on and repaired his DDR machine for free, just because he was my friend. I even spent my own money to build him a platform and a bar for his old DDR pad he used to have prior to him buying a full-blown DDR machine. Dude just said fuck it and chose YouTube and his girl over me lol. Which is fine, I'd choose my career and my love life too. But the difference is that I wouldn't cut off my best goddamn friend. He didn't even attempt to find a balance and include me. If we could've hung out once a month, I would've been happy. Ended up just blocking his number.

I really hate not having a friend. I love my solitude and I'm an introvert but I'm not fucking anti-social, I still crave adult interactions. Sorry to vent in your thread :(
The only explanation is that she asked him to film her fucking you, that's where it all started, he got mad blocked your ass and told her to forget about you.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Why are people so fake? There are good people out there, but it seems majority just put up a fake persona, and face. My one friend I used to talk to all the time moved overseas. Now, I messaged him on a social app to catch up, and see how he’s doing, and he blocked me. What the fuck?

So, I made a new account and re-messaged him, and asked why he blocked me, and would greatly appreciate it if he replied back, to give me a proper answer. If he blocks me again, what should I do? It really bugs me when friends do this. I had a similar experience in grade 8, while going through cancer, and it’s not a good feeling to go through again. It fucking hurts.

I'm sorry your friend acted like that. Sadly, sometimes people act without thinking of the consequences for people who care about them...not really meaning to hurt them, but it still happens. Sometimes when this happens, there is something going on in that person's life that is a huge burden, and they may be sparing us their pain in a way. Then again, sometimes people are just very selfish and become sordid jerks.

This is on them...not you. You are a sweet and awesome person, and those who are truly your friends are blessed to know you. :messenger_heart:

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Same sorta bullshit happened to me a while back. Used to hang with this Vietnamese dude and his girlfriend, we'd hang out often and stuff. They always showed concern for me anytime I was depressed. They seemed so genuine. One day, I noticed on Facebook that it was his birthday. I left him a nice comment on his wall, something personal and humorous. Nothing over the top. Just wished him well on his birthday. He fucking blocked me a couple minutes later. I was so confused. So I said fuck it and blocked him AND his girl. Nearly a year later, I texted both of them to ask about the situation, see what happened...because I heard through another friend that they were apparently trying to contact me. I texted them both and got back a "Who is this?" and when I explained everything, I got nothing but radio silence. I know they have the same phone number because I checked with a buddy who is still friends with the two of them. So after that, I just said screw it, called them a couple of fake cunts, and blocked their numbers. People that I considered good friends just randomly, outta the blue, wanna play fuck fuck games and I don't have time for all that.

I'm 32 and I live in fucking Mississippi. I've been away from home (Chicago) for literally 10 years as of this month. I'm homesick. I have no friends here. It's just me and my daughter and my goddamn cat. Anyway...sometimes people just do shit like that, they just ghost you or they are sorta indifferent towards your friendship with 'em. People like that aren't worth your time. I had a best friend down here a few years back. We used to chill every single weekend. We were basically brothers from another mother, we even shared birthdays. Crazy. We had deep conversations often and just generally had a great, trusting friendship. Welp...he ended up become a famous furry on YouTube and his girlfriend moved in with him (another famous furry) and after that, he always had excuses as to why we couldn't hang. "Oh, I'm sick" or "Oh, I'm editing videos like crazy this week" or "Oh, I'm visiting my girlfriend's family." or "Oh, I'm at a furry convention this weekend".

It was always something. He totally changed and let YouTube consume him, not to mention the understandable fact that he was preoccupied with his girlfriend who moved in with him. I helped this fucker get a job prior to his YouTube fame. He is autistic (you can't really tell though) and I supported him with his furry lifestyle and never judged him or made fun of him. I stuck up for him and gave him tons of shit for free (he was a huge Sonic fan, go figure). I worked on and repaired his DDR machine for free, just because he was my friend. I even spent my own money to build him a platform and a bar for his old DDR pad he used to have prior to him buying a full-blown DDR machine. Dude just said fuck it and chose YouTube and his girl over me lol. Which is fine, I'd choose my career and my love life too. But the difference is that I wouldn't cut off my best goddamn friend. He didn't even attempt to find a balance and include me. If we could've hung out once a month, I would've been happy. Ended up just blocking his number.

I really hate not having a friend. I love my solitude and I'm an introvert but I'm not fucking anti-social, I still crave adult interactions. Sorry to vent in your thread :(
I had a friend that texted me asking if I want to see a movie. I was like " wow! Haven't seen you in a while. I'd love to see a movie with you". Then he replied "sorry I meant to text someone else". Haven't seen the prick since.

We were best friends at one point...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Star

A few of my close friends turned out to be weirdos, and it's more of mind-game than anything.

Like, one of my friends "unfriended' me on Snapchat for no reason. One day I sent him a snap, but after refreshing my friends lists, it said that he has to add me back to see the snap. I thought that was a weird passive-aggressive move, but I decided to just drop communication with him totally, instead of understanding his motives. A few months later, on my birthday, he sent me a "Happy Birthday" DM on Instagram. I thought that was kind of strange, but I said "Thanks" anyways. I'm still "unfriended" by him on Snapchat and I have no idea why.

I've always kept my distance from people, and never did things on social media to annoy or bother others, so I have no clue why anyone would "unfriend" me, especially on a platform like Snapchat. (i'm still friends with him on EVERY other social media). This is why I dislike social media beyond forums. People will be "friends" with you on one platform, but block you on another, for no reason.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty normal. Some people feel like it takes too much time to keep in touch with others or grow distant. He is being real with you by blocking you. The guy wants nothing to do with you. Take that as a blessing and move on.

Breakage

London's full of fake people. Perhaps it's like that in every major city. I find the higher up the social hierarchy you go, the more often you'll encounter these sort of people. I suppose it's because it's easier to see individuals as disposable when you are successful and don't have to work very hard to attract people.

Last edited:
London's full of fake people. Perhaps it's like that in every major city. I find the higher up social hierarchy you go, the more often you'll encounter these sort of people. I suppose it's because it's easier to see individuals as disposable when you are successful and don't have to work very hard to attract people.

You get it in Manchester too.

The funniest one I ever had was this rebellious chick in my class doing stupid stuff to get my attention as if she was smitten with me.

In college I actually asked her if she wanted to hang out sometime just to see if she was genuine.

I got a straight up "No" without any filter. I said okay and never saw her again.

How fucking fake can you get to set up a 4 year thing like that just say No in the most straight faced way possible?

The year before, my other fake friend said that she was spreading the rumour of us dating (I was in another College).

Makes you wonder...

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Old friend of mine sold my OG Xbox for crack. I ditched his ass. Sometimes it's difficult to get friends, people you can actually trust. I'd rather go through periods of time without any than get people who are fake around me.

Breakage

You get it in Manchester too.

The funniest one I ever had was this rebellious chick in my class doing stupid stuff to get my attention as if she was smitten with me.

In college I actually asked her if she wanted to hang out sometime just to see if she was genuine.

I got a straight up "No" without any filter. I said okay and never saw her again.

How fucking fake can you get to set up a 4 year thing like that just say No in the most straight faced way possible?

The year before, my other fake friend said that she was spreading the rumour of us dating (I was in another College).

Makes you wonder...
Ha. I thought the girls were supposed to be more friendlier up north. I think London is in a whole different league, though. There's a special kind of palpable smug arrogance that fills the air here. People will give the impression that they are being sincere, that they care, that they have empathy, etc. and then you'll never hear from them again. I think the whole I'm a Londoner thing really goes to people's heads. The worst offenders are the well-dressed young professionals. While you definitely get fake people at the lower end of the social class, it's less noticeable (at least in my experience).

That sucks, man. I think my own best friend, for 20 years! Might be ghosting me as well, the thing with that is I won't know till the end of this year, and the possibility of us not being friends any longer hurts to think about, but I have had to sever ties with people, which left me devastated, before. So while it would be painful to lose such a great friend, I fear I am simultaneously ready in case it does happen.

ROMhack

Well, that sucks. I think we live in a world with a lot of social pressure and it's really hard to know what motivates people to do what they do.

Often things become better with age when people start to appreciate the smaller things in life, but it's certainly difficult to maintain relationships with people in their 20s.

London's full of fake people. Perhaps it's like that in every major city. I find the higher up the social hierarchy you go, the more often you'll encounter these sort of people. I suppose it's because it's easier to see individuals as disposable when you are successful and don't have to work very hard to attract people.

Yeah, London is easily the worst place I've lived in terms of making friends. People don't really bond because it's all very much work or nothing.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
There are some people in this world with no sense of loyalty, integrity or character. It's just a fact of life unfortunately. Accept it, move on, and cherish the people that appreciate you.
You are right.

I’m sorry you went through all that. Hugs
I'm sorry your friend acted like that. Sadly, sometimes people act without thinking of the consequences for people who care about them...not really meaning to hurt them, but it still happens. Sometimes when this happens, there is something going on in that person's life that is a huge burden, and they may be sparing us their pain in a way. Then again, sometimes people are just very selfish and become sordid jerks.

This is on them...not you. You are a sweet and awesome person, and those who are truly your friends are blessed to know you. :messenger_heart:
Thank you for always being a light in this world.❤️❤️❤️
I had a friend that texted me asking if I want to see a movie. I was like " wow! Haven't seen you in a while. I'd love to see a movie with you". Then he replied "sorry I meant to text someone else". Haven't seen the prick since.

We were best friends at one point...
Holy moly. He sounds like a total tool bag.
A few of my close friends turned out to be weirdos, and it's more of mind-game than anything.

Like, one of my friends "unfriended' me on Snapchat for no reason. One day I sent him a snap, but after refreshing my friends lists, it said that he has to add me back to see the snap. I thought that was a weird passive-aggressive move, but I decided to just drop communication with him totally, instead of understanding his motives. A few months later, on my birthday, he sent me a "Happy Birthday" DM on Instagram. I thought that was kind of strange, but I said "Thanks" anyways. I'm still "unfriended" by him on Snapchat and I have no idea why.

I've always kept my distance from people, and never did things on social media to annoy or bother others, so I have no clue why anyone would "unfriend" me, especially on a platform like Snapchat. (i'm still friends with him on EVERY other social media). This is why I dislike social media beyond forums. People will be "friends" with you on one platform, but block you on another, for no reason.
Sorry you went through that. And, I agree social media is cancer.
To answer OP's question:

People are fake because, thanks to social media, society has promoted narcissism far far above integrity.
Well said my friendly cat.

Brap would never ever do that. We’re homies.
Where's the mina jè twat happening this time?
CmiP7fe.png

Ha. I thought the girls were supposed to be more friendlier up north. I think London is in a whole different league, though. There's a special kind of palpable smug arrogance that fills the air here. People will give the impression that they are being sincere, that they care, that they have empathy, etc. and then you'll never hear from them again. I think the whole I'm a Londoner thing really goes to people's heads. The worst offenders are the well-dressed young professionals. While you definitely get fake people at the lower end of the social class, it's less noticeable (at least in my experience).

True, the Working Class are more genuine but they can be arses in work (I work with a few).

To be honest, a lot of the UK aren't fond of London because of how they are about the rest of us I guess. I try and be nice to everyone, but you are right, London has that weird air about it.

highrider

Banned
I don’t really associate with many people. My real friends are dudes I’ve known since elementary and there’s only a few I see regularly. I have a son who’s almost 17, and a pretty big extended family so it’s not like I’m hurting for doing social stuff. I’ve never had someone I really care about just sort of dis me and not speak anymore. My dad used to say to me that I easily made friends as a child and was generally well liked, but he said I could take them or leave them. I was perfectly content to be on my own as well. I think that’s still true today.

-Minsc-

This is a good opportunity to look into some of my own fakeness. Some of it may come from a twisted form of "do onto others as you'd want done to your self." To simply follow this through, if one does not enjoy having their feelings hurt then they'd act in a manner to not hurt the feelings of those around them.. Of course this will backfire sooner or later as one can not please another 100% of the time. By extension, one can not expect to be pleased 100% of the time. Coming out from a prolonged period of faking it can be quite difficult as it means exposing ones self as the fraud they are. It is said that when one steps back into the realm of being honest is when they find out who their friends are. Maturing is not easy.

ROMhack

Thinking about it more, I think the real issue is that most people don't want to be social. Cutting between the lines of this thread, most people are highlighting that people aren't interested in doing things. If it has some level of organisation to it, then people tend to zone out, meaning bonds aren't kept and made.

I might be projecting here but I find my own life marred by this pervasive feeling that people aren't interested in doing things anymore. It being Friday seems like a great time to do something after work... only I know nobody will want to, so I don't ask. It's where the apathy and eventual sadness sets in.

I'm finding my late 20s/early 30s to be a horrible moment where people are either lost, always busy or in long-term relationships. When I step back and really think about how things are, it really hits me how much people have traded sociability for convenience. Obviously this is where social media comes in too.

I think it ties into what OP is saying because it's becoming the case that people can't be arsed to maintain relationships once they hit a certain threshold of effort. I've no doubt at all that if people weren't so inundated with distraction then they'd likely want to spend more time together.

Sucks big time. I'm thinking about starting a meetup group in the near future.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Thinking about it more, I think the real issue is that most people don't want to be social. Cutting between the lines of this thread, most people are highlighting that people aren't interested in doing things. If it has some level of organisation to it, then people tend to zone out, meaning bonds aren't kept and made.

I might be projecting here but I find my own life marred by this pervasive feeling that people aren't interested in doing things anymore. It being Friday seems like a great time to do something after work... only I know nobody will want to, so I don't ask. It's where the apathy and eventual sadness sets in.

I'm finding my late 20s/early 30s to be a horrible moment where people are either lost, always busy or in long-term relationships. When I step back and really think about how things are, it really hits me how much people have traded sociability for convenience. Obviously this is where social media comes in too.

I think it ties into what OP is saying because it's becoming the case that people can't be arsed to maintain relationships once they hit a certain threshold of effort. I've no doubt at all that if people weren't so inundated with distraction then they'd likely want to spend more time together.

Sucks big time. I'm thinking about starting a meetup group in the near future.

The thing is, people are socializing. They are just doing it on places like Facebook, text messaging blogs/commenting and (to an increasingly lesser degree) forums such as this. The people who get out there are still there, one just has to find them.

Another thing to consider is the porn factor. Never underestimate how much masturbating to pics/videos on your computer and phone can suck the life out of you. I know I've stayed home in the past and beat it off late into the night.

Overcoming recluse habits isn't easy. One basically has to be willing to let their brain be completely rewired.

My biased cents.

ROMhack

The thing is, people are socializing. They are just doing it on places like Facebook, text messaging blogs/commenting and (to an increasingly lesser degree) forums such as this. The people who get out there are still there, one just has to find them.

Another thing to consider is the porn factor. Never underestimate how much masturbating to pics/videos on your computer and phone can suck the life out of you. I know I've stayed home in the past and beat it off late into the night.

Overcoming recluse habits isn't easy. One basically has to be willing to let their brain be completely rewired.

My biased cents.

The porn thing is interesting. I suspect it's one of those things that feels like a short-term gain whereas the long-term affects are likely much greater.

Somebody here must have done the research on it...

Last edited:

gundalf

What kind of idiocy is that though?

It sucks but that's life. People develop in different ways and take new paths. I myself am not in contact anymore with great friends 10 years ago, I developed further and they did not - keeping up the relationship makes no sense. Sounds harsh and asshole but there is no use in limiting oneself potential/carreer.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It sucks but that's life. People develop in different ways and take new paths. I myself am not in contact anymore with great friends 10 years ago, I developed further and they did not - keeping up the relationship makes no sense. Sounds harsh and asshole but there is no use in limiting oneself potential/carreer.
How are you limiting your potential or carreer just by staying in contact with someone? Either way, if you want to distance yourself from a friend who did nothing wrong, not telling him why or whether he did something wrong, is pretty terrible.

emperor84

Neo Member
How are you limiting your potential or carreer just by staying in contact with someone? Either way, if you want to distance yourself from a friend who did nothing wrong, not telling him why or whether he did something wrong, is pretty terrible.

seems like he's to good for them.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I'm addicted to buying unbelievably expensive custom helicopters (yeeeeeeaaahhhh)

In a brief moment of lucidity I went to the helicopter dealership and told them "Do not, under any circumstances, sell me more helicopters" I was back there half an hour later, wearing a fake mustache, and I said "Hello gentlemen, I am Ray Z, a man you have never met before. Give me 10,000 helicopters covered in diamonds"

gundalf

seems like he's to good for them.

Really, has nothing to do about being too good, I don't think that way but if my previous folks are into spending their time in consuming media/entertainment and I'm doing... well other "stuff", then we don't fit anymore.

But the case here with Yoshi is something different, he went through cancer with the support of this friend, clearly for Yoshi it's a sign that there is a deeper bond with no mistake, yet his friend doesn't seem to have seen it that way and thus has no qualms in ghosting him.

Don't be depressed about it and don't think too much about it, you did nothing wrong and just stay how you are.

Weilthain

Banned
Some people don’t get when people don’t like them or want to hang out. Don’t get me wrong, reading OP it sounds weird to be blocked and since I don’t know the details who knows what is going on.

however....
lVnDsS3.png

Some people to me, seem to need friendship yet don’t know or ever experience what true friendship is. They need to feel respected and liked when in reality they aren’t, but they would never know that.

these people are weird because they can’t read emotions from body language or detect nuances in speech. I don’t mean people with autism I’m talking about dorks.

-Minsc-

Some people to me, seem to need friendship yet don’t know or ever experience what true friendship is. They need to feel respected and liked when in reality they aren’t, but they would never know that.

these people are weird because they can’t read emotions from body language or detect nuances in speech. I don’t mean people with autism I’m talking about dorks.
Dork sums up my school years.

I'd say there's a whole slew of language I never picked up when I was younger, being an insular person. While I can talk to people, making connection does seem difficult.

Weilthain

Banned
Dork sums up my school years.

I'd say there's a whole slew of language I never picked up when I was younger, being an insular person. While I can talk to people, making connection does seem difficult.
I feel you. I’m definitely in the “weirdo” or “idiot” category. Not a dork though.

my worst nightmare would to be normal. Imagine aspiring to be like people on the television....

gpClayI.gif

Banned
Lol looking at your post history tells me you either need to get some yourself, or get laid. Maybe both, because you come off like a completely unlikeable and genuine piece of shit.

No offense 🤣

Got laid yesterday morning before work. Next question?

OP thinks these random social media dudes are friends. She/he/it needs to get over it.

Add: I did this to some women on my social media last month. Got tired of seeing their feed and the random messages out of nowhere commenting on my snaps/stories

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
make some bank and ull have all the friends ull ever need lining up at ur door

GranularCoarseGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

Edit:

also, remember true friendship arises on the battlefield. always have always will.

Last edited:

Greedings

21st Century. So many ways to communicate, yet most people are too much of a pussy to initiate anything.

Loneliness is the inevitable outcome which will plague millennials.

Tesseract

Banned
21st Century. So many ways to communicate, yet most people are too much of a pussy to initiate anything.

Loneliness is the inevitable outcome which will plague millennials.

call them out on it or wrap some duct tape around your mouth and go huddle down in a cave somewhere

Top Bottom