• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Splatoon keep its 60fps?

I don't understand the posts that try to diminish their achievement saying things like "it is not technically impressive, it is just their art style". Well, if they can make a game look good and not be demanding to the hardware at the same time, kudos to them, right? It is an achievement on its own being able to use your resources effectively.
The point is that the OP thinks this game is pulling off some technical feat when it's really not.
It's not a knock on the game at all.

As far as impressive technical feats, I'm more astounded by 60 fps in a lot of other games.

It's posts like these that really turn me off of Nintendo threads in general here on GAF. It's like you don't want to see actual discussion on a message board and just want "BASED NINTENDO MAGIC" posted over and over again. Anyone who dares to actually analyze things in a thread that's asking for analysis must be on something or trying to make a justification to downplay almighty Nintendo.

I realize that every fan base here has this problem to some degree (PC master race, Naughty Gods, etc.), but it seems to be worst among Nintendo discussion by a long shot.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don['t think it is as dynamic as it looks, just low res dynamic textures.

*flood of pictures incoming*

So, lets say when you roll your paint roller across the level, it changes the value of these texels like this, you can think of them as being pretty large, a similar size to the cubes in minecraft. Each shade represents the coverage value of the paint. Because of their size, you never have to alter too many of them at once even with 8 players..
GhZlWF6.jpg

Then when it's drawn on screen it's interpolated per pixel
kAug5Ut.jpg

Then there's a noise texture that's permanently mapped to all the painted surfaces on the level and never changes,you never see it but it looks something like this:
qF0XER7.jpg

When you subtract the noise texture from the paint coverage, you get this:
EACkYOu.jpg

And then apply a threshold so anything below 50% is invisible and the rest is full you get this:
pITaK3C.jpg

Then you can repeat that for multiple paint colours using multiple channels, whichever ink has the highest value before the threshold determines which colour should be shown.

I added a simple highlight to my shader:
http://glsl.heroku.com/e#17652.1
Correct. The levels already need an unique texture wrapped over all static geometry for lightmaps, they can just reuse the UV coordinates and add a dynamic layer on top of it.
Thanks for this, this was actually the answer I was looking for.

Platy

Game is very pretty and the "mario sunshine to the max" fluid is awesome, but for me 2 player Mario kart 8 in 60 fps is WAY more impressive

Eusis

I'm pretty sure this is intentional so that it makes platforming in a 3D space easier.
Yeah, in many cases not actually doing the graphics properly or realistically makes for a better game. Well, concessions to gameplay over reality are far from uncommon, but this is definitely one of the less obvious areas, and if they can save on the graphics processing budget all the better. I think a Sonic game went with more realistic shadows, and that made platforming a bitch because I couldn't be sure where I'd land.

Dire

I also think it's worth mentioning that some of the effects that modern games use are incredibly expensive for relatively modest gains as well.

If any console title is using ambient occlusion, the devs should be rounded up and shipped off to umm.. Macau.

MIWtr0I.jpg

Recently I went tuning Skyrim and managed to get from 30FPS to a rock solid 60FPS by:

-disabling ambient occlusion (around 15fps)
-disabling depth of field (around 10fps)
-slightly decreasing shadow quality (around 8 fps)

The only thing I really noticed was the depth of field, and that is the one effect that doesn't actually directly improve image quality.

Eusis

I also think it's worth mentioning that some of the effects that modern games use are incredibly expensive for relatively modest gains as well.

If any console title is using ambient occlusion, the devs should be rounded up and shipped off to umm.. Macau.
Well, I do imagine it's case by case and there is something to be said for subtlety, but yeah that's kind of the thing that can annoy me at times. Depending on the type of game I guess it's acceptable, though once it dips below 30 fps turn something off for god's sake. Driveclub might be an extreme example of this, except it's so extreme it's genuinely fascinating.

rjc571

Banned

MIWtr0I.jpg

Recently I went tuning Skyrim and managed to get from 30FPS to a rock solid 60FPS by:

-disabling ambient occlusion (around 15fps)
-disabling depth of field (around 10fps)
-slightly decreasing shadow quality (around 8 fps)

The only thing I really noticed was the depth of field, and that is the one effect that doesn't actually directly improve image quality.

Yeah ambient occlusion really is the worst. Shockingly, I started a thread about how pointless AO is and found that a lot of people actually think that the barely noticable difference is actually worth the huge framerate hit. Some people's priorities are completely fucked up.

You're talking about Screen Space AO, Splatoon uses AO but it's precalculated and baked onto textures.
( I think a chess game would be able to use precalculated AO too that just changes based on the adjacent pieces if they really wanted to be efficient )

Afrikan

As a console Graphics Whore, I think it looks great for WiiU specs.

60fps, HDR, Self Shadowing, and lots of colors!

OT, but did Nintendo buy Sega's graphics engine or something?

their lighting technique (for a few of their games) seems so similar to Sega's previous titles last gen.

Eusis

Yeah ambient occlusion really is the worst. Shockingly, I started a thread about how pointless AO is and found that a lot of people actually think that the barely noticable difference is actually worth the huge framerate hit. Some people's priorities are completely fucked up.
When one of your detractors on graphical effects is Durante you should probably shut up and listen.

Anyways, I think a lot of the responses were right. Some implementations are shit (or too subtle to matter), it shouldn't be done on consoles if resources are tight... but if you can afford to use it? Why the hell not? Now Chromatic Abrasion, I have no idea what that's good for outside of when trying to depict something unreal like a dream or when your character's really screwed up in some way that affects perception.

Sami+

No way. Dark Souls looks like shit without AO.

rjc571

Banned
When one of your detractors on graphical effects is Durante you should probably shut up and listen.

Anyways, I think a lot of the responses were right. Some implementations are shit (or too subtle to matter), it shouldn't be done on consoles if resources are tight... but if you can afford to use it? Why the hell not? Now Chromatic Abrasion, I have no idea what that's good for outside of when trying to depict something unreal like a dream or when your character's really screwed up in some way that affects perception.

Why should Durante dictate what effects I like or dislike? I turn FPS halving SSAO off in every PC game I own, and my experience is much better because of it. If you were allowed to disable AO and other unnecessary effects in console games for a better framerate, I might actually give a shit about modern console gaming outside of Nintendo.

If you can afford to use real time AO (i.e. if you're playing on a PC with dual Titans) then knock yourself out, but this thread is about a game running on fixed, low-end hardware which probably wouldn't be able to run Splattoon at 60 fps if it was using SSAO. Nintendo seems to be the only console developer who understands that it's not worth ruining your framerate over an effect that nobody is going to notice when they're actually playing the damn game. Unless your idea of fun is to stare at wall creases and try to guess whether the shadows are real-time or pre-baked.

Aaron

I wouldn't play a modern 3D game without AO. I even modded Dynasty Warriors 8 to work with AO, and when you have that many characters on screen the result is actually a huge difference. Adding depth to the foot soldiers actually gives the feeling of large mobs instead of paper cut outs. Not sure how I could fail to notice, but then some people don't notice 30vs60 FPS either.

Top Bottom