• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... I inherited an old Japanese Game Center

Once you're done taking inventory, get the cabs refurbished somehow. This might mean selling and shipping them to some folks if you can't get it done on-site or something. Awesome grab, man! I hope the internal circuitry still works after sitting around for so long...

ramuh

yakuza thugs riding these
9T9ai0Cm.jpg

carrying swords.
edit: and 80s style cassette player boomboxes.

When you post this comment it made me think of a crazy Yakuza game idea (don't know if has been done before in the Yakuza games yet) of main character using his bike as a mount and his sword as his lance and charging the enemy yakuzas.

I wonder how much shipping would be to get one of those to the US. Id totally be interested in a Candy Cab and if it was Tetris even better

yakuza thugs riding these
9T9ai0Cm.jpg

carrying swords.
edit: and 80s style cassette player boomboxes.

I wanna watch it happen. Yakuza thugs bustin' up an out of business game center just because. Hopefully one of them walks in like a grade A badass, with a sword over his shoulder, chewing on something.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, considering it cost me like $400 to ship four boxes of stuff when I moved back to the US from Japan, I'd say shipping would be insane for any of these.

Probably have to go via sea (could take months).

Antoids

Banned
i wish you all the best if you plan on re-opening it, but if you're going to sell cabinets, i know some dudes in arizona who collect cabinets to run a big ol arcade cabinet convention once a year who would probably be interested that i could put you in touch with

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
  1. Take Inventory
  2. Re-Open
  3. Name It GAF
  4. Give GAF Members A Discount
  5. ???
  6. Sell The Movie Rights To Sony
  7. Profit

tbm24

I'll pay money for one of those candy cabs. If it happens to have Super Turbo on it I'll pay extra. 100% serious if you're looking to sell some stuff.

Cess007

Natsume should take this approach for the next spinoff of Harvest Moon. You inherit an Arcade/GameCenter and it's up to you to turn it back to his former glory buying new cabinets, taking care of them and repairing when they broke from use :p

There is an album on imgur entitled "Girlfriend's Grandma's Game Center"

My life is now complete

I'm not very clever with titles.

But, this totally sounds like a Manga, title doesn't it?

彼女のばーちゃんのゲームセンター

maomaoIYP

Those are definitely 90s styled arcade cabinets.

No value in Japan, probably. I think only the Americans have an extreme fascination with retro arcade games and equipment.

Those are definitely 90s styled arcade cabinets.

No value in Japan, probably. I think only the Americans have an extreme fascination with retro arcade games and equipment.

Yup. Aside from Game Center CX and few choice places, retro arcade stuff is only big outside Japan.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

tauroxd

There is an album on imgur entitled "Girlfriend's Grandma's Game Center"

My life is now complete

I lol'd don't know why, but I sure lol'd

OP, you sure are living the dream. If I were you I would still be in awe for this. I know it probably won't be easy and profitable right away, but it would be cool if you re-open it.

Cody_D165

Banned
Going to go there soon to take a full inventory.

So far, I know it has:

Raiden V, Metal Slug X, Street Fighter Alpha (Zero) 2, Pocket Fighters, UFO Attack, Sega Tetris

hot damn
448.gif

lock yourself in there and throw away the key because you don't even need other video games anymore

Jachaos

This is amazing.

There's a place in Quebec City that's running an arcade and they don't want anything cosmetic done to it. If it works, they want it as is - they love the wear and tear on the cabinets. They might be interested I guess. Well, first step is figuring out the situation. Inventory and such. Looking forward to an update !

Edit : ^that's a huge ass picture, quote it so we can expand it if need be

That sounds awesome. Reading all these replies makes me sad that arcades are dead in the US. I always wanted to make enough money to open a retro arcade/drink bar.

When you go over to take inventory, bring a camera to film things. And preferably bring some other people to both make things go faster and add some entertainment. No matter what you do, that footage should help tremendously. If you intend to try selling things overseas and some of the stuff still works then having proof that it works helps, for example.

When you go over to take inventory, bring a camera to film things. And preferably bring some other people to both make things go faster and add some entertainment. No matter what you do, that footage should help tremendously. If you intend to try selling things overseas and some of the stuff still works then having proof that it works helps, for example.

Yeah, another user suggested I could turn this into an interesting Web series.

Maybe I should call Area 5 :)

Top Bottom