• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

sangreal

How do you reject it then? There are programs I use that get fucked up with w10.

at that point , you can't you have to either install a third party software to prevent the update or prevent your computer from connecting to windows update servers.

You have to actively go out of your way to prevent your pc from reaching this stage.

or just click where it says click here to cancel

or just click where it says click here to cancel

Good luck with that. It will try to install again. It tried multiple times to reinstall it after reverting back to 8.1 on me. I had to disable shit in the registry, hide updates, delete files to finally make it where it wouldn't try to reinstall it.

Alienfan

It doesn't work smoothly for everyone, and sometimes breaks applications. Really shitty that MS is forcing OS upgrades now.

It's shitty for a few, but VERY convenient for many. Sure it's a hassle, but in the time that it takes to write a rage filled post, a simple google search on how to revert back would have be a better application of that person's time :p Although the messaging on Microsoft's part should be a LOT better; having to install a third party application to say 'no' is nuts!

It's shitty for a few, but VERY convenient for many. Sure it's a hassle, but in the time that it takes to write a rage filled post, a simple google search on how to revert back would have be a better application of that person's time

I would prefer to do both and then continue to bitch about it.

But really, I don;t have a problem with finding a workaround to prevent an update from happening, I am just a little pissed that this has become acceptable. Sure there are a lot of computer illiterate people out there who are happy to get an free Windows update without ever ever worrying about it, but for those who actually prefer to stay with the OS that they originally paid for, this is just a big Fuck you from Microsoft, and I don't like it. Forcing a complete OS upgrade just doesn't sit well with me at all.

dh4niel

People praising Windows seem really odd to me especially seeing how everyone shit on Windows 8. I've had zero problems with it and I'll be keeping it (8.1) for the foreseeable future.

-Amon-

Windows 10 being good is not a valid excuse. If it comes from a Microsoft PR, maybe. But if it comes from users... Well, it's worrying to say the least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Everyone claiming that this is a good thing likely uses their PC for lite tasks or games.

When you run a lot of programs that will likely have compatibility issues with newer OS versions, or your workflow has a heavy reliance on old plugins and OS shell integration that is no longer supported by the developer, updating to a new OS becomes a very involved process. If I woke up to this automatically happening like OP did, I would freak the fuck out.

What programs besides certain industries that are on dinosaur programs have problems with Windows 10? Every program I've ran that had a Windows 7/8 version (which is where most of the holdout are) have ran just fine in 10.

Xenus

Good luck with that. It will try to install again. It tried multiple times to reinstall it after reverting back to 8.1 on me. I had to disable shit in the registry, hide updates, delete files to finally make it where it wouldn't try to reinstall it.

People praising Windows seem really odd to me especially seeing how everyone shit on Windows 8. I've had zero problems with it and I'll be keeping it (8.1) for the foreseeable future.

Honestly the people on 8/8.1 not updating are the ones that confuse me the most. 7 I can see but 8 or 8.1 unless you use some very specific programs it makes almost no sense not to upgrade. Basically you already have 99% of the things people complain about with Windows 10 at that point.

What programs besides certain industries that are on dinosaur programs have problems with Windows 10? Every program I've ran that had a Windows 7/8 version (which is where most of the holdout are) have ran just fine in 10.

Cisco IPSEC VPN is the main one that seems to break but it wasn't offically supported on 8 as they have been pushing everyone to anyconnect.

dave_d

Same here. (Sticking with 8.1) I guess I should point out that I updated Windows 7 on this computer (separate drive) to Windows 10 and I have had no end of trouble with that buggy piece of garbage and that's after I took the updated drive, wiped it and did a clean install on multiple occasions. Loads of stuff like the start menu, edge, calculator, account management, the store simply stopped working on my accounts. The only solution? Either reinstall or create new accounts since once that stuff stops working the account is messed up and there is no fixing it. (DISM didn't fix it and neither did sfc /scannow.)

Windows 10, not worth the price I paid for it.(Which was free.)

Honestly the people on 8/8.1 not updating are the ones that confuse me the most. 7 I can see but 8 or 8.1 unless you use some very specific programs it makes almost no sense not to upgrade. Basically you already have 99% of the things people complain about with Windows 10 at that point.

I would have kept windows 10 IF it didn't force auto driver updates. I disabled all the telemetry and spying bullshit. That is my main sticking point. If they ever allow you to disable forced driver updates I would probably upgrade again. I know there is a hack you can do to disable ALL updates, but I'd prefer to still get windows critical updates installed. I just don't want driver updates.

Also for all the people that say windows 10 is so much faster, they are full of shit

Boot_01.png

Synthetic_03.png

Application_02.png

Application_01.png

Application_03.png

Application_05.png

Application_06.png

Application_08.png

850_02.png

Encoding_01.png

Encoding_03.png

Gaming_01.png

Gaming_04.png

Xenus

I would have kept windows 10 IF it didn't force auto driver updates. I disabled all the telemetry and spying bullshit. That is my main sticking point. If they ever allow you to disable forced driver updates I would probably upgrade again. I know there is a hack you can do to disable ALL updates, but I'd prefer to still get windows critical updates installed. I just don't want driver updates.

Also for all the people that say windows 10 is so much faster, they are full of shit

Sad thing is in the first build you could. Now you go to where it was and turn it off and you still get driver updates pushed. I have a laptop that it appears the edid got lost on that the Nvidia driver update means that I get a black screen on the laptop screen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OP would probably love to trade places with me. I can't for the life of me get the stupid Win10 update to work! For about a month now every time I told it to start updating, it's just stuck forever on "Starting" screen, and no advice I've tried so far has worked (I'm on Win 7 SP1).

Pachinko

OP would probably love to trade places with me. I can't for the life of me get the stupid Win10 update to work! For about a month now every time I told it to start updating, it's just stuck forever on "Starting" screen, and no advice I've tried so far has worked (I'm on Win 7 SP1).

I had this problem on my older computer and ended up having to download a separate program MS offers that bypasses the "starting" screen and just updates. It was a 2 day ordeal made worse thanks to windows update needing to finish updating windows 7 before I could even run the windows 10 program and .... it wouldn't connect or download properly. Such a pain in the ass.

Sad thing is in the first build you could. Now you go to where it was and turn it off and you still get driver updates pushed. I have a laptop that it appears the edid got lost on that the Nvidia driver update means that I get a black screen on the laptop screen.

Ouch. It's really stupid they don't give people the option to disable them. I can understand if they want to have it on by default, but give me the damn option to disable them. Bad thing is MS doesn't even give a shit. It doesn't look like they are giving people the option to disable them any time soon.

Also hey look, more start menu advertising coming your way with the July update! http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-update-doubles-up-on-start-menu-advertising

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I had this problem on my older computer and ended up having to download a separate program MS offers that bypasses the "starting" screen and just updates. It was a 2 day ordeal made worse thanks to windows update needing to finish updating windows 7 before I could even run the windows 10 program and .... it wouldn't connect or download properly. Such a pain in the ass.
I think I'min the same boat. Windows Update has stopped working for me. Most of the advices I've tried focus on trying to get Win Update to work again, but nothing has worked for me. Last thing I've tried was downloading some kind of "Standalone Windows Update Installer", which was a 500MB file. I ran it, and that too got stuck on an initial installation progress bar.

Can you tell me what file did you ended up downloading?

Genio88

Good for you, you got it installed automatically without even having to take care of nothing, plus Windows 10 is definitely the best Windows so far, also if you are a gamer it's required to take advantage of DirectX 12 and newer games...and if you waited until July then you would have had to buy it instead of having it for free.
And besides that all you surly did something without notice that, cause Windows 10 doesn't install by itself if you just ignore the update message

Xenus

Ouch. It's really stupid they don't give people the option to disable them. I can understand if they want to have it on by default, but give me the damn option to disable them. Bad thing is MS doesn't even give a shit. It doesn't look like they are giving people the option to disable them any time soon.

Also hey look, more start menu advertising coming your way with the July update! http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-update-doubles-up-on-start-menu-advertising

Yeah this existed at one point.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Then it got changed to manufacturers apps and icons, which does nothing for drivers.

Yeah more ads ! Just the thing i want when i go to my start button to look for my programs. Trully this os is perfect
as a trojan horse

Kayant

Good for you, you got it installed automatically without even having to take care of nothing, plus Windows 10 is definitely the best Windows so far, also if you are a gamer it's required to take advantage of DirectX 12 and newer games...and if you waited until July then you would have had to buy it instead of having it for free.
And besides that all you surly did something without notice that, cause Windows 10 doesn't install by itself if you just ignore the update message
Good guy MS looking out for everyone giving an entire OS for FREE. What could we do without them????

I also turned off the auto update checked everything was going to stay as is on the computer at work.

Come Friday morning i was mid way through doing a load of accounting work on the computer and it decided to just shut down out of the blue and start the windows 10 upgrade.....

I was not amused.

Windows-10-Flom-compressor.gif

Genio88

Yeah more ads ! Just the thing i want when i go to my start button to look for my programs. Trully this os is perfect
as a trojan horse
Since you're really that bothered by a few suggestions which could actually make you find out something useful...

Windows-10-Start-Settings.png

Since you're really that bothered by a few suggestions which could actually make you find out something useful...

Windows-10-Start-Settings.png

It's there now, but not necessarily in the future. Remember MS can update your pc at any time and take it away like they did with the disable automatic driver updates option. I'm sure they are planning to remove the option eventually so everyone is forced to see their ads just like 99% of people won't know how to turn that off.

cakely

Thanks for the shilling. Next time you'd like to contribute, please read the OP.

Nerrel

Kind of funny that while reading this I notice "twitter" and "candy crush saga" popped up in my recently installed apps... again. I thought disabling the shop as a background app would stop it, but you have to edit your registry to stop them from doing this bullshit.

What a fucking joke. They're created an OS where the user has little power or control over their own computer or the software that goes on it and they're forcing everyone to install it whether they like it or not. I can really appreciate what Valve was trying to do with SteamOS a lot more now... he warned about MS pursuing this kind of shit years ago.

Inversive

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option to which pisses me off even more.

Exactly the same thing happened to me, it's fucking stupid. I wanted to keep windows 7 :(

Gattsu25

Banned
So there is no (legitimate) way to cancel this, no Cancel button whatsoever. And people are defending this? Seriously, whether it's a better OS or not, go fuck yourself Microsoft.
There's a link to cancel below the date. That said...

Why the fuck are they taking UX design cues from the spyware prompts in the µTorrent installer?

Gren

Yeah this existed at one point.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Then it got changed to manufacturers apps and icons, which does nothing for drivers.

Really? I just used it recently because Windows, in all its wisdom, wanted to update my Nvidia drivers (with what I don't know, as they were the newest ones straight from the vendor).

Regardless, the inability to decline certain Windows Updates through the main interface is a *major* inconvenience only found in 10 (and maybe 8, but I don't remember).

Kaleinc

Banned
NQpNbSy.png

One more thing. If you deliberately get your OSs through update procedure then W10 is match made in heaven.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If we already updated and reverted back are they still auto-updating? My dad's laptop got rightfully fucked by him installing W10 (his onboard video chip wasn't supported, only the discrete gfx card, which made the fan go wild at all times), then I rolled it back to Windows 7. Am I going to have to do even more tech support for him?

If we already updated and reverted back are they still auto-updating? My dad's laptop got rightfully fucked by him installing W10 (his onboard video chip wasn't supported, only the discrete gfx card, which made the fan go wild at all times), then I rolled it back to Windows 7. Am I going to have to do even more tech support for him?

It will try to install again if you roll back if they have install updates automatically turned on.

Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered

This been going on all day and each time I've had to reboot my computer. If I don't restart my computer, I can't click on the Start icon or play videos or display pictures. I've gone online to see if I can update my video card and it doesn't even look like ATI has a Windows 10 update for it. This shit never happened to me on Windows 7.

Crayon

This been going on all day and each time I've had to reboot my computer. If I don't restart my computer, I can't click on the Start icon or play videos or display pictures. I've gone online to see if I can update my video card and it doesn't even look like ATI has a Windows 10 update for it. This shit never happened to me on Windows 7.

Hey congratulations. Best Os ever. Did i mention it's free?

Top Bottom