• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So say Galactic Empire (Star Wars) invades the Imperium of Man (Warhammer 40k)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
What about Necron? If I ever get into the tabletop game, I think I would like to command a techno-organic undead army. It's just too cool!

They are also one of the easiest to paint if I remember correctly. Black undercoat, drybrush silver, attach gun, done pretty much!

Furret

Banned
Meteorain said:
I'll eventually get round to answering Mama Robotnik's huge ass post, but I came across this. It's pretty funny. Yes, I'm sure that there are bigger SW ships, but it's to alleviate the mood a little. The ridiculous statue on the ship is most amusing.

1237763805345.gif

Also, could I get another statement on how fast FTL travel is in the SW universe?

That picture doesn't make sense. The windows on the Warhammer ship seem to be bigger than a whole Star Wars capital ship.

What are they for? Who cleans them? Why are we having this discussion?

DrForester said:
Pretty close.

http://www.merzo.net/ (go to 10x page)

They should put in the 40k Cruisers onto the site. Majority of fleets are made up of Cruisers but the site only puts up Battleships and Destroyers. Cruisers fall in the middle of those two in size, but are the core of all that universe fleets.

Furret said:
That picture doesn't make sense. The windows on the Warhammer ship seem to be bigger than a whole Star Wars capital ship.

What are they for? Who cleans them? Why are we having this discussion?

Silly fan wankery?

As for 40K ships especially those of man, much of the ship is cosmetic really, they are basically flying citiies when it comes to battleships. Huge portions are basically decorations also with statues built into the ships, massive cathedrals, etc.

Furret

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
They should put in the 40k Cruisers onto the site. Majority of fleets are made up of Cruisers but the site only puts up Battleships and Destroyers. Cruisers fall in the middle of those two in size, but are the core of all that universe fleets.

Silly fan wankery?

As for 40K ships especially those of man, much of the ship is cosmetic really, they are basically flying citiies when it comes to battleships. Huge portions are basically decorations also with statues built into the ships, massive cathedrals, etc.

Aren't the Warhammer ships brightly painted and coloured as well?

Their window cleaning and painter corps must outnumber the soldiers 100:1.

Furret said:
Aren't the Warhammer ships brightly painted and coloured as well?

Their window cleaning and painter corps must outnumber the soldiers 100:1.

Most likely, the ships usually house thousands of Imperial civilians (slaves) who do lot of dirty work on the ships along with servitors. In the artwork of the Gothic books for example you see that instead of having a loading system for ammunition, they pretty much have hundreds if not thousands of these slaves who have to manually pull on giant pulley/cranes to heft the giant rounds into the guns.

Azih

I think the point that the Imperium is basically any Sith Lord's wet dream of an empire should be reiterated (well without the horrorshow rest of the universe that comes with the package) but also that the same is just not possible in Star Wars. The Star Wars universe is built so that the Force is always trying to balance itself and so Palpatine is never safe from either some resurgence from the Light side, or, if he foolishly abandons the Rule of Two, from all the other power mad Sith that are going to be running around and Dark Side control imploding as it always does. His struggle to maintain control is *never* going to be done, that's just the way Star Wars is.

The whole versus is built on the assumption that Palpatine manages to gain the same control over the Star Wars universe that the God-Emperor has over the Imperium of Man and then uses all of his resources to attack the Imperium. The diplomatic fluff of the universe doesn't support a Palpatine that isn't being undermined by the very source of his power, the Force, and always has to expend significant resources just to maintain control.

Plus I think the need to map a universe to use hyperspace also stymies the Empire's only overwhelming advantage over the Imperium. All of the Imperium's navigation is built around using the Astronomicon through the Warp and I think it's too much of a stretch to assume that any star maps that the Empire manages to capture will let them use hyperspace. They would have to map the systems themselves according to the needs of their own hyperspace technology in order to use it.

Meteorain

Enosh said:
that picture is such bullshit, the size disparity isn't that huge

Imperial Star Destroyer is approx 1.6km long.
10mppSWStarDestroyer.gif

A Retribution Class Imperial Destroyer is 7.5km. These class battleships are the backbone of the Imperial Navy.
10mppBloodHawk.gif

I had a look around the internets and came across many a nerd raging battle on Naval space battles between SW and 40k. It was generally accepted that SW ships were faster for FTL, but in the battles themselves would be outgunned.

As many have already said, i think as soon as the warp opened the GE loses. Something terrible (take your pick) will slip through to the GE side and a war for the goldnen throne will quickly turn into a hasty retreat and a fight for survival on their own side.

This thread has kept me busy for days. So awesome... Thanks OP!

Meteorain said:
A Retribution Class Imperial Destroyer is 7.5km. These class battleships are the backbone of the Imperial Navy.

Backbone as being singular perhaps, but most fleets are made up of cruiser level craft which form the bulk of the fleet. A single battleship will lead most task forces, 2 at most. Retribution class are not that common. The entire Gothic sector fleet only had 2 of the Retribution class ships in total during the height of the Gothic War. Cruisers such as the Lunar class had more than 600, along with thousands of other Cruisers that formed the bulk of the fleet main fighting force.

Grand Cruisers also still lead in many older fleets as they played precursor to the Battleships. The battleships really are a rarity even in the 40k fleets, one could compare them to the Super Star Destroyers in rarity though GE fleet sizes in total during the movies would have been lower than the Imperium of Man's

Meteorain

BattleMonkey said:
Backbone as being singular perhaps, but most fleets are made up of cruiser level craft which form the bulk of the fleet. A single battleship will lead most task forces, 2 at most. Retribution class are not that common. The entire Gothic sector fleet only had 2 of the Retribution class ships in total during the height of the Gothic War. Cruisers such as the Lunar class had more than 600, along with thousands of other Cruisers that formed the bulk of the fleet main fighting force.

They usually serve as Flagships, but it isn't as uncommon as you indicate. They also share that role with Emperor, Victory, Apocalypse and Oberon Class ships.

Cruisers are approximately 3km in length. Still twice the length of an ISD.

Suairyu

Banned
Naval warfare is pretty brutal in its destruction of the myth that size means anything. In straight firepower, defence and non-FTL manoeuvrability, how do they compare?

Meteorain

Suairyu said:
Naval warfare is pretty brutal in its destruction of the myth that size means anything. In straight firepower, defence and non-FTL manoeuvrability, how do they compare?

Having scoured the boards of the internet converning their naval capacities. The battle with their basic naval fleets is pretty even. They are both capable of wrecking each other. The GE ships have the greater firepower by a bit, but the Imperial ships can take more of a beating.

There's no real comparison to how fast they travel in normal space unfortunately that I have come across.

Meteorain said:
They usually serve as Flagships, but it isn't as uncommon as you indicate. They also share that role with Emperor, Victory, Apocalypse and Oberon Class ships.

Cruisers are approximately 3km in length. Still twice the length of an ISD.

Seeing as the numbers of fleet strength is given in various gothic texts, yes the numbers are fairly accurate. The Apocalypse class itself is incredibly rare and the Imperium has lost knowledge of how to even make anymore of it, so they are careful with their use, the IoM only has a handful of them left after the Gothic war. The Oberon is also considered a very rare ship as well.

The Emperor and Retribution classes are the more common battleships, and even then their presence is generally as fleet flagships. Imperial Grand Cruisers are quite large and almost Battleships, and more common.

Suairyu said:

Sublight speeds for 40k ships have never really been well documented with wildly different takes in various sources. They are sometimes presented in battle as very slow lumbering behemoths, while other times they are zipping around each other as if dog fighting.

Defense wise it is hard to say since you have made up armors and alloys in each universe and how they react to each others weapons is almost impossible to stay. Many will say that size means nothing, but this is not really true as generally you will have far more of everything on the ship, more redundancies, thicker hulls, more armor, etc.

antonz

Reading up on the IoM ships it seems the Galactic Empire does have an additional advantage if they can exploit it.

IoM ships seem to focus very heavily on the broadside with the vast majority of their weapons suited to side by side duels.

Star Destroyers and such for the most part have a 360 degree firing arc except for where the Bridge and its attached super structure get in the way. Manueverability would be a key factor between the 2 powers. If the Star Destroyers can avoid the broadsides for the most part they could hammer away at the IoM ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom