• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So which city now claims the mantle as worst sport's town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
I'd say Cincinnati, but far too many are fair weather fans that it doesn't even matter for most residents. Ohio in general is a wasteland for pro sports, even if the Columbus Crew are make decent waves in MLS.

It's Cleveland

120210-nba-miami-heat-cleveland-cavaliers-gallery8-jw-20101202233048-600-400.jpg

Hari Seldon

Yeah it is probably Buffalo. At least San Diego has good weather and an economy and shit. Buffalo has snow and 4 super bowl losses. They had a great hockey team back in the day and their best player got concussed out of the league (IIRC). They have great fans but the worst sports luck of all time.

Gotta go with San Diego. They haven't won a championship in over 50 years and there's nothing on the horizon that looks like that will be changing anytime soon.

It's hard to get worked up about sports living in San Diego because of living in San Diego. Sports is just something one does to hang out and drink at. Nothing is taken very seriously.

Toronto is the worst sports town.

It's not even close.

Toronto Baseball:

14-google-baseball.w529.h352.jpg

Toronto Hockey:

9726397-619x336.jpg

Toronto Baske... oh this one's too easy.

Even Toronto's lacrosse team is terrible.

I want a Toronto vs STL Cardinals world series just to see how salty cards' fans get when Bautista does bat flip like he did against the Rangers.

Wiz

I would say Atlanta, but we make it to the post season all the time, just to lose time and time again.

kazinova

I think Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul) has it the worst now. 25 years, 3 teams, no chips.

It's no 52-year drought but I really wouldn't wish that on any fanbase. Please, don't break our record, it's not worth it.

Norfair

Lol. Not even remotely true.

edit: Anyhow the real answer on the sport drought.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought

1. Cincinnati: 26 years
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul: 25 years
3. Washington D.C.: 25 years
4. Toronto: 23 years
5. Atlanta: 21 years

That distinction now technically goes to the city of Milwaukee. A team from Milwaukee last won a title in 1971, when Lew Alcindor and Oscar Robertson led the Bucks to the NBA championship 45 years ago. The Brewers have never won a World Series (they lost in 1982), and the Bucks haven’t been back to the NBA Finals since ‘71. But we’re going to go ahead and count the Packers as a Milwaukee team, which gets the city off the schneid.

Oh come on, the packers don't even play in Milwaukee anymore (They used to play 2 home games a year in Milwaukee until 94)

It's kind of sad when your baseball team's greatest accomplishment is a World Series loss 34 years ago.

Well, yeah, we're talking pro sports. I know how y'all do in SEC country.

Anyone want to dispute Buffalo?

Wasn't specified by OP. And even then, judging by fan attendance is such a shit-tier Deadspin clickbait level. We don't support horrible management.

Anyone who says Detroit clearly knows nothing about sports, as they've been one of the more successful sports cities. The only franchise without a storied history in this town is the Lions, whose failures of the last 50 years nullify their rich history from the 50's when they won a few NFL championships.

I'm going with Atlanta

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit - dude in the middle looks like a fucking clone (down to the style of clothing) of my best friend, a Vikings fan.
I went to the Vikings/Packers game at TCF this last year, and good lord, everyone there looked like these three people. It was uncanny.

Minnesota shouldn't have to wait too long for a title. KAT is gonna do the damn thing.

Fury451

Banned
Cleveland, until we get at least another championship.

The Cavs won a big one for CLE, but that doesn't change the undercurrent with sports here- the drought is broken, but now we have a long way to go to be better.

mjc

I'd say Milwaukee is probably up there too, at least in terms of the Bucks and Brewers. I would count Green Bay separate from them for obvious reasons.

It's still cleveland

Houston is just the saddest sports town.

Astros suck
Texans fans think there is an in state rivalry with the cowboys (there isn't, no one cares about the Texans)
Rockets are chumps

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Philadelphia is a GREAT sports town.

The problem is the teams in the town are terrible right now.

But the fans are always there, cheering or booing, depending on what's happening. The sports media is wild too - talk radio, newspapers, sports blogs... it's a solid sports town.

IMO, a BAD sports town is a town where nobody really cares about the teams, even if they are winning a lot. Or the fans show no interest in anything until their team is in a championship game of some sort. Then all of a sudden the frontrunners come out of the closet and act like they're die-hard fans. Those are the phony sports towns/fans.

Yeah, I agree with this. As strong as my distaste is for Philly fans (NYG fan here) they actually show up year after year to watch their terrible teams. Except the 6ers.

Miami is a bad sports town.

Brinbe

Toronto is the worst sports town.

It's not even close.

Toronto Baseball:

14-google-baseball.w529.h352.jpg

Toronto Hockey:

9726397-619x336.jpg

Toronto Baske... oh this one's too easy.

Even Toronto's lacrosse team is terrible.

I know it''s bait, but nope.
joe-carter-walk-off-o.gif

Y6ADAu.gif

5Lv-Ub.gif

And the Leafs can look forward to a decade-plus of
tumblr_o2i0pqk56E1qfupawo2_400.gif

article_d8e8aec5-7453-451c-96d2-b92032f594b9.gif

cropped_NylanderPenaltyShot.gif

People itt conflating being a "terrible sports town" and being "a town terrible at sports".

Cleveland is a terrific sports town. They just can't win with regularity.

Miami is a terrible sports town. Yet they have something like 8 titles between 3 sports

Toronto has had some good sports moments, sure.

But it's still a terrible sports town.

People itt conflating being a "terrible sports town" and being "a town terrible at sports".

Miami is a terrible sports town. Yet they have something like 8 titles between 3 sports

BINGO.

And the Leafs can look forward to a decade-plus of

The face that says "Oh no. Toronto has the first pick. I shouldn't have been this good."

Matthews-640x424.jpg

MechDX

Add Dallas to that category. More visiting fans than Cowboy fans at games because the citizens of Southern Oklahoma dont give a damn.

Maverick fans dont actually exist

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
San Diego California, baby

not only do we suck

I bet you we lose our NFL team

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lol. Not even remotely true.

edit: Anyhow the real answer on the sport drought.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought

1. Cincinnati: 26 years
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul: 25 years
3. Washington D.C.: 25 years
4. Toronto: 23 years
5. Atlanta: 21 years

If you actually read that article it says that cities which have never won a major title weren't included. That's why San Diego was left off instead of ranked #1.

Do Better

Atlanta is pretty bad. When the teams, college and pro, are good they still can't seem to ever win the biggest games or series.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Probably Buffalo. San Diego has really only gotten close to a championship once and they lost by...60? to the 49ers. How can a city come back from 4 straight Super Bowl loses.

As someone who doesn't follow sports at all, TIL the Washington Redskins are located in DC, not Washington.

Um what? Do you even know anything about the redskins? I get you don't follow sports, but..you could have at least did a google search to understand how crazy this sentence is

Probably Buffalo. San Diego has really only gotten close to a championship once and they lost by...60? to the 49ers. How can a city come back from 4 straight Super Bowl loses.

Buffalo has a ton of diehard fans.. SD's fanbase in general are pretty apathetic because well they live in San Diego. I mean there are some Chargers faithful but as a whole, the city just doesn't give a shit.

fairweather fans are the worst

Perhaps it is more due to our fair weather.

There's quite a few reasons why I can get into why we don't sell out every single game all the time (and when other cities don't, they don't get near the coverage). However, that's the narrative y'all choose to have, and it won't change that.

Kickz

Can confirm Minneapolis hasn't won anything since I have been here.

Karl Anthony TOWNS gonna change that though

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I guess in terms of fans, Atlanta's the worst. Not that they're badly behaved, but because they don't really seem to give a shit about their own teams. You go to games and half the crowd is wearing the other team's colors.

Not to mention what a bunch of fairweather fucks they are. Hawks have gone to the playoffs 9 years in a row, but oh they're only winning a round or two, no rings, they're terrible. They're doing us better than 75% of the of the league is doing their cities, you perfectionist asses.

Schlep

Add Dallas to that category. More visiting fans than Cowboy fans at games because the citizens of Southern Oklahoma dont give a damn.

Maverick fans dont actually exist

Houston fans trying to downplay Dallas. Well I never!

Plenty of Mavs fans in DFW. Cowboys are the most popular team in the area. Practically none of their tickets are bought and sold legit. They all go to scalpers who charge crazy prices that only visiting team fans want to pay, especially with how mediocre they've been the past...forever.

Jag

And the Heat was 6 out of 30 in attendance last year without Lebron. When Lebron left the Cavs they went from 9th to 22nd in attendance. Heat and Dolphin fans are diehard. Marlins used to have a decent fan base, but fuck Loria. He's worse than Gilbert.

Miami also gets a boatload of out of town visitors and transplants. It's a destination city, you will always have other fans there.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably go with Atlanta. I grew up a Braves fan and have lived here since 2009. But I grew up in WV so it's just a fluke that I root for the Braves (we had few channels and Braves games on TBS were pretty much it for baseball for many years. I root for Orlando in NBA and Oakland in the NFL.

Such things are true of many residents since Atlanta is such a transient city with so many people moving here for work and thus having no real ties to the city/area or it's sports teams.

So fan support is pretty lame compared to other cities. The Braves couldn't even sell out playoff games when they were on that great run of 14 straight division titles. The city lost their NHL team. Hawks and Falcons attendence is ok, but there always seems to be large contingents of opponent's fans.

Add in that the last title was the Braves in 1995, and I think they take the cake. Other cities like Buffalo and San Diego have longer droughts, but they also have fewer pro teams and more passionate fan bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom