• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

I case anyone missed it:

Tell us what changed. Exactly, in detail, as much as you can remember.

Well, the first stop after Altissia had an (smaller) open world area and you could drive the car alone.
There was a level leading up to when you encounter the Shiva statue.
The dark world section of the game featured more enviroments, you encountered each party member in different locations and you could explore part of Lestallum.
The final boss (which was another Ardyn form) got cut early this year.
The Tenebrae invasion happened after the protagonist entered the city and you got to explore a very small section of the city and Luna's chamber.
Scenes that featured Luna got cut because they were considered to be problematic.
Cor got written out of the last half of the story since it made no sense for him to show up (he was Noctis companion during the small open area after Altissia).

I... I cannot. This would explain so much but is 4chan so I have to take it with a mountain of salt... but i want to believeeeee

AkzEkN7.gif
This makes so much sense it has to be true.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I thought the rumor was that Lightning Returns was originally a Valkyrie Profile game that got morphed into Lightning Returns?

I can well believe that, but given that it still recycles loads of assets from the preceding XIII games its hard to tell which "bodies" it was frankenstein'd together from :D

Its hard to argue though that the engine it runs on doesn't share a lot of functionality with what V13 would have required, particularly in regards to how lightning moves compared to the other entries.

jett

D-Member
Yeah man. I'm also going to miss the badass scar that Noctis made him, and forced him to wear that mask. :(

Yay indeed! More gameplay.

Also, why should they forget about the game when it's reviewing and selling well? Thank goodness you don't work at any company's finance department. :p

So that the people involved can work on hopefully something of worth. :p

The adventures of how Prompto got captured.
The adventures of how Gladio got a scar on his face.
The aventures of how Ignis went blind.

Yay.

I'm just talking about DLC plans. They should've forgotten about the game after it released and moved the fuck on.
Yeah no

duckroll

.....there is no rumor that LR was a VP game. It's some stupid meme I started to make fun of the similarities in game and art design while making fun of fellow tri-Ace fans because we're all crying inside. :p

Gbraga

Wait, people actually think this story is "amazing"? Really?

I'm calling bullshit on that "leak" because of how stupid it is.

Though I guess Nojima hasn't been on top of his game for a while now, so it is possible. But it sounds like something people would be mad about if it was the story of the final game, but with Tabata as director and Stella being called Luna.

Bladenic

Yeah man. I'm also going to miss the badass scar that Noctis made him, and forced him to wear that mask. :(

Yay indeed! More gameplay.

Also, why should they forget about the game when it's reviewing and selling well? Thank goodness you don't work at any company's finance department. :p

"Selling well" citation needed

Kyoufu

.....there is no rumor that LR was a VP game. It's some stupid meme I started to make fun of the similarities in game and art design while making fun of fellow tri-Ace fans because we're all crying inside. :p

I'd sacrifice the entire XIII trilogy just to see the VP3 title screen.

Wait, people actually think this story is "amazing"? Really?

I'm calling bullshit on that "leak" because of how stupid it is.

Though I guess Nojima hasn't been on top of his game for a while now, so it is possible. But it sounds like something people would be mad about if it was the story of the final game, but with Tabata as director and Stella being called Luna.

Have you played Spec Ops The Line? Imagine that sort of storytelling with that leaked Versus script... sooooo good.

Rappy

You think review scores are Law. That's cute.
Oh and your opinion is law? That's also cute.
I really hope the hyperbole isn't turning anyone off from FFXV. It's absolutely a worthwhile play all things considered.
The game is critically well received and possibly selling quite well. There's not liking the game and then there's what these same users have been doing to the game before it was even released. I just don't understand why some of them are like this. But it's not like some opinions on GAF have significant influence on the masses.

Toth

This thread must be heaven sent for Versus fanatics seeking some type of catharsis, even if all this talk is BS.

I'm sure we will get more CS telling more of the story but all the gameplay being talked about would honestly have added what..maybe 2 more hours to the game? Exploring the 'dark world' somewhat does sound interesting but it doesn't sound essential to the plot, hence why it could be cut.

I honestly want to know what the heck happened in Chapter 7 when
the 'Shield of the King' essentially abandons Noctis for some quest that results in more scars on his face and chest....

Exodust

Banned
Even talk about Versus plot or at least what he learned:

The game centered about death, ghosts and hallucination/dreams. Noctis killed the female protagonist before the game started but he didn't remember. Ardyn was Noctis ancestor and he was responsible of the crystals disappearing over time (the only one left was Lucis crystal). Regis died in front of Noctis because his bodyguards betrayed him. The protagonists had to leave the capital because their nation lost the war.

The game didn't focus on summons that much (they still existed) and instead there were actual gods which didn't appear physically. One of the gods was the main antagonist of the first FF game. Each nation was inspired by a different capital of the world. The empire was using ghosts as weapons. Ravus wanted to kill Noctis for having killed her sister. The game ended in another dimension which was supposed to be their version of the after-life.

Holy christ that sounds like garbage. I'm glad we got XV's instead, which I appreciated for it's simplicity in spite of the rushed nature.

Kyoufu

The game is critically well received and possibly selling quite well. There's not liking the game and then there's what these same users have been doing to the game before it was even released. I just don't understand why some of them are like this. But it's not like some opinions on GAF have significant influence on the masses.

I bought 4 copies of the game. Yes, four. I enjoyed my time with it but I'm still sad that I'll never experience the original vision behind the game(s).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What happened to Versus is screamingly obvious in my opinion.

FFXIII and FFXIV were in full production between 2005 and 2009, an elongated process due to the problems they had with the engine. Versus XIII was obviously pencilled in from the start to release some time after XIII because their "edgy alternative" would always need to follow their orthodox mainline entry.

Essentially this means as a project it would have the lowest priority in terms of active production, but tons of time in pre-production/conceping/prototyping... exactly the sort of situation where a single game gets blown out into a putative trilogy because when you don't have the staff to do something, you may as well expand and iterate on what you have in the hopes it will turn into something amazing.

Unfortunately, shit happens. XIII launches late and to a decidedly mixed response, then XIV lays a fucking egg really setting the cat amongst the pigeons. After 18 months of flailing around trying to fix this failed MMO, they eventually decide to throw everything they have into essentially rebuilding the game from the ground up as fast as possible. A hail-mary pass that essentially consigns all their other major projects onto the back burner for the duration.

Especially risky, single-platform products like Versus XIII.

Toriyama meanwhile is keeping the lights on by recycling the FFXIII assets into a cost-effective and heavily outsourced sequel that evidently was never pre-planned as it begins with a hard-reset on the plot of the original.

LR I really wouldn't be shocked to discover if it was built on the bones of the engine variant originally earmarked for V13 given its quasi --open world structure and dynamic TOD/lighting system. Some funding for this would likely seem more logical than V13 given its multi-platform nature and "completing the trilogy" (haha) gimmick.

Long story short, I'd be surprised if a great deal more than what was used for promotional purposes for Versus XIII actually ever existed in code. I'm sure there's stacks of paperwork and concept assets, but beyond some cg and vertical slice proof-of-concepts, it was always vaporware kept alive solely by Nojima's name and corporate standing.

Looking at what was going on elsewhere in the company over the entire duration of its "development", a team of the size neccessary to execute the project would never have been available.
Solid post.

Ray Down

Banned
This thread must be heaven sent for Versus fanatics seeking some type of catharsis, even if all this talk is BS.

I'm sure we will get more CS telling more of the story but all the gameplay being talked about would honestly have added what..maybe 2 more hours to the game? Exploring the 'dark world' somewhat does sound interesting but it doesn't sound essential to the plot, hence why it could be cut.

the 'Shield of the King' essentially abandons Noctis for some quest that results in more scars on his face and chest....
Dude it sounds there was more cut out.

Tookay

What's with people attachment for this character that appeared in a couple of trailers and spoke some cryptic bs a couple of years ago?

Am I the only one finding this very weird? Am I missing something?

It's frankly bizarre and kind of embarrassing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's the Rinoa is Ultimecia of FF XIII-3!

DNAbro

Man get ready, because I'm like 90% sure that is what that paid DLC episode is going to be about.

hughesta

Banned
I'm enjoying my time with FFXV quite a bit. It's a very flawed game but I'm having fun. That bit about what Versus would have been is very interesting and I would have much preferred it, and I can enjoy an existing product and be disappointed with it at the same time.

When Gladio disappears from chap 7, apparently is gonna be explored in his DLC

Ishida

Banned
Those are copies shipped to retailers WW, so try again. We know the game was overshipped in Japan and that sales estimates in the U.K. have the game selling considerably less than XIII.

Well then we'll just have to wait. You will be disappointed, though.

Here you go
There were references to the heroine having been abused by other characters, some scenes would have featured Luna crying because of her health and there were also mentions of her goal in life being meeting the male protagonist's expectations/objectives, which the team considered that were going to be problematic since the game had been carrying a bad reputation because of the way they portrayed female characters.
yeah they would've gotten raked over the coals and deservedly so, get out of here what the crap about her goal being to meet Noctis' expectations.

Bladenic

Well then we'll just have to wait. You will be disappointed, though.

Uh, I liked the game and hope it sells well. But I'm also looking at the facts. North America gonna have to buy the game in record numbers to make up the deficit elsewhere.

Ninjimbo

I haven't finished the game yet but I read the plot dump anyway. Sucks to hear that so much was cut but that's the reality of the industry hitting you straight in the face. You gotta ship games and make money.

The cut content hasn't hit me hard yet because I'm only on chapter 10. I'm kind of lost on all
those details. The Luna stuff tho...that hurts. I really like her character and it absolutely blows that her scenes were cut because of a perceived backlash. I can understand the trepidation but have to have some confidence in the character you're creating if you're SE. Strong heroes shouldn't only be defined by how many monsters they take down. Luna could've been a good example of a person fighting through whatever bullshit got in the way of fulfilling her duty.

As for the the Versus XIII plot leak, that shit sounds baller. Nomura and Nojima would've knocked it out of the park. It sounds like a twisted version of what was going on in FFX. It also would have served as a good companion piece for the optimistic and hopeful story of FFXIII.

The drama surrounding this game is something else. Jesus.

jimmypython

I really hope Tabata is trying to put a lot of the cut content back to the game.

but the avatar system is just too much.....how about using the time to make more places explorable?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All this cut content. :/

Makes me sad it does.

Not really much for me to say at this point. All there is to be said has already been stated.

I really hope Tabata is trying to put a lot of the cut content back to the game.

Wouldn't count on it. Type 0 had quite a bit of content cut as well. It never got anything added back in there even for that HD release.

Your pain is forever deserved and you shall go wanting

Covenant of the Plume is as close as you're ever gonna get

Top Bottom